New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Windwaert View Post
    A141
    Yes, the latter appears to be the case. While Polymorphed with Shapechanger, its Statistics are unchanged, so it cannot Shapechange back while in sun light or running water.

A142
    I think the strictest interpretation would require the spells to outright call the produced light "sun light", and neither spell does.

CORRECTION: see my post below
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A142 If they specifically call it out as sunlight, then it triggers the Sunlight Sensitivity. Does not have to be bright unless the Sunlight Sensitivity specifically mentions "bright sunlight" or comparable wording.
    #142 (continued) I feel as though I didn't make the thrust of my question clear. Sunbeam's text says "For the duration, a mote of brilliant radiance shines in your hand. It sheds bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. This light is sunlight."

My question is, is dim sunlight strong enough to fry a vampire? Or does it have to be bright light, as one would see on during a day with clear skies. Does the vampire have to stay more than 30 feet or more than 60 feet away to avoid burning? (I would presume that lightly obscured sunlight is functionally the same as dim sunlight, but I suppose it's worth checking.)

2. - Top - End - #392
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q143 confusion spell says you use all of your movement to go in a random direction. Is that say 30feet, or is it a dash as well?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q143 confusion spell says you use all of your movement to go in a random direction. Is that say 30feet, or is it a dash as well?
    A143: Confusion SPECIFICALLY SAYS that the creature can't take an action. PHB 225:
    The creature uses all its movement to move in a random direction. To determine the direction, roll a d8 and assign a direction to each die face. The creature doesn't take an action this turn.
    Dash is an action, they can't take actions, thus they can't dash.

Further reading: A magical effect for movement does not require the creature to use the dodge action unless the effect says it does IMO.

For example, Turn Undead (PHB 59) says this:
    A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
    They have to Dash.

Another example is Fear. It specifically says you have to dash.

Another (better) example of your original question is Dissonant Whispers. It does NOT say EITHER WAY, but being as the spell does not say they are required to dash, I'd say that the text doesn't say it's required, they don't have to. Also in that case, Dash is an action, but the movement is part of a REACTION, and thus they can't use the dash action in the middle of their reaction.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    My question is, is dim sunlight strong enough to fry a vampire? Or does it have to be bright light, as one would see on during a day with clear skies. Does the vampire have to stay more than 30 feet or more than 60 feet away to avoid burning? (I would presume that lightly obscured sunlight is functionally the same as dim sunlight, but I suppose it's worth checking.)
    A130
    I aggree with @PhoenixPhyre in that the trait of the Vampire does not specify the brightness/strength of the sun light, so any sunlight (natural or magical), dim or bright would work. The Vampire would thus RAW have to stay 60 ft away from the Sunbeam to avoid triggering their Sunlight Hypersensitivity.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q143

Can you cast Green Flame Blade as an opportunity attack if you got the War Caster feat?

6. - Top - End - #396

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    Q143

Can you cast Green Flame Blade as an opportunity attack if you got the War Caster feat?
    A143 No. Green Flame Blade affects more than one person.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-11-18 at 10:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A143 No. Green Flame Blade affects more than one person.
    Only if there's another target within 5 feet of the original target. If not, then the spell affects only one creature and it appears that would be okay for use with War Caster.

Powers &8^]

8. - Top - End - #398

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Only if there's another target within 5 feet of the original target. If not, then the spell affects only one creature and it appears that would be okay for use with War Caster.

Powers &8^]
    R146 Okay OP, expect table variance.

(Remember: "Target" isn't a defined game term.)

My view: The spell, as cast, allows you to target up to two creatures. Just because there's no one to bounce the damage to doesn't mean that the targeting isn't available. War Caster says that the spell must target only that creature, so I'm looking at this a lot like Twin Metamagic. You can't twin GFB, so why should you be able to use it with War Caster?
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-11-18 at 07:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    War Caster says that the spell must target only that creature, so I'm looking at this a lot like Twin Metamagic.
    R146

War Caster does say that, but compare it to what Twinned Spell says; I think you're inappropriately conflating the two.

Twinned Spell says this:
    To be eligible, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level.
    That's the text that prohibits green-flame blade from being Twinned, as it can target more than one creature (at least, arguably; some have said the secondary effect isn't targeted at all, but that's hard to justify).

War Caster says only this:
    The spell must have a casting time of only 1 action and must target only that creature.
    As a result, it appears that magic missile (for instance) can be cast as an opportunity attack as long as all of the missiles are directed at a single target. Green-flame blade is harder to limit to a single target, but possible, and it seems like it should work fine as an opportunity attack in that case.

The difference is in the distinction between being capable of targeting multiple creatures and actually targeting multiple creatures.

Powers &8^]

10. - Top - End - #400

R146
    Relevant: Jeremy Crawford says GFB targets two. However, if you somehow limit GFB to affect only one creature, it would probably work fine with War Caster. It seems the spell RAW forces you to choose a 2nd creature to affect if there are valid targets <-- this would typically include the spellcaster himself. However, the intent is that you can choose no one.
    Last edited by Windwaert; 2018-11-19 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammar

11. - Top - End - #401

Q147
    Can a Shadow Sorcerer swap the darkness spell learned through Eyes of the Dark as a level up replacement?
    Last edited by Marcloure; 2018-11-19 at 09:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    Q147
    Can a Shadow Sorcerer swap the darkness spell learned through Eyes of the Dark as a level up replacement?
    A147 Technically, since the ability says the darkness spell is added to your spell list, you can swap it out (when allowed). HOWEVER, understand, if you do swap this spell out you will lose the ability to cast it all together (including with sorcery points) -> rending that entire ability useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

13. - Top - End - #403

Q148a
    Does the Manta Glide of the Animal Enhancement feature of Simic Hybrids grant 'movement' while falling?

Manta Glide: Your ray-like wings can slow your fall and allow you to glide. When you fall and aren't incapacitated, you can subtract up to 100 feet from the fall when calculating falling damage, and you can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend.

Note that Relentless Avenger feature of the Vengeance Paladin uses a somewhat comparable phrasing of "... you can move ..." and then refers to "This movement ..."

Q148b
    If so, can this 'movement' from Manta Glide be spend on standing up from prone instead?

Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of Movement equal to half your speed. For example, if your speed is 30 feet, you must spend 15 feet of Movement to stand up. You can’t stand up if you don’t have enough Movement left or if your speed is 0. To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation.
    Last edited by Windwaert; 2018-11-20 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windwaert View Post
    Q148a
    Does the Manta Glide of the Animal Enhancement feature of Simic Hybrids grant 'movement' while falling?

Manta Glide: Your ray-like wings can slow your fall and allow you to glide. When you fall and aren't incapacitated, you can subtract up to 100 feet from the fall when calculating falling damage, and you can move up to 2 feet horizontally for every 1 foot you descend.

Note that Relentless Avenger feature of the Vengeance Paladin uses a somewhat comparable phrasing of "... you can move ..." and then refers to "This movement ..."

Q148b
    If so, can this 'movement' from Manta Glide be spend on standing up from prone instead?

Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of Movement equal to half your speed. For example, if your speed is 30 feet, you must spend 15 feet of Movement to stand up. You can’t stand up if you don’t have enough Movement left or if your speed is 0. To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation.
    148a Yes, Manta Glide means if your character (with the ability) falls, up to 100' of the damage is removed from the damage calculation and you can position yourself up to 200' away from where you should normally land. Nothing else is gained from this 'movement'.

148b No. The specific perk of Manta Glide does not give additional benefits for dealing with being Prone, and standing from Prone still cost half your move.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-11-20 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q149 my fighter attacks twice in one round when using the attack action cuz he's 5th level. Can I use my Action surge and attack two more times that turn?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

Q149 my fighter attacks twice in one round when using the attack action cuz he's 5th level. Can I use my Action surge and attack two more times that turn?
    A149Absolutely. Extra Attack functions when you take the Attack action, and the extra action Action Surge gives you can be used to take the Attack action.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q150 Can a Beastmaster Ranger's animal companion make an opportunity attack when an enemy leaves its reach?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

18. - Top - End - #408

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Q150 Can a Beastmaster Ranger's animal companion make an opportunity attack when an enemy leaves its reach?
    A150: Yes. The Beastmaster description literally says, “The beast never requires your command to use its reaction, such as when making an opportunity attack.”

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q151 I cast blink and disappear. Does my unseen servant spell end?

20. - Top - End - #410

BarbarianGuy

Q151 I cast blink and disappear. Does my unseen servant spell end?
    A151: No. Neither spell’s description negates Unseen Servant if you’re no longer on the same plane of existence.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Q152
    If i am granted a melee attack via reaction or bonus action, can I use it to shove?

22. - Top - End - #412

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    Q152
    If i am granted a melee attack via reaction or bonus action, can I use it to shove?
    A152: No. You can only shove or grapple when you take the Attack Action on your turn.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

q153
    Is a totem barbarian a spellcaster?
    q153b
    Is an eldritch knight a wizard (for magic items)

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

q153
    Is a totem barbarian a spellcaster?
    According to the DMG errata:
    "If the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster, a creature qualifies if it can cast at least one spell using its traits or features, not using a magic item or the like."
    So...

A153: Yes! (which is actually pretty cool).

q153b
    Is an eldritch knight a wizard (for magic items)
    A153b: No. Wizard is a specific case of rules, in this sense, a specific class. You are a fighter, regardless of where you choose your spells from.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-11-29 at 12:34 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

25. - Top - End - #415
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Q154
    What's to stop a flying/wall climbing enemy, be it a wyvern, griffon, winged devil or giant spider from swooping in, grappling a player, flying/climbing up, and dropping them from a high place? Some of these characters have very high speeds.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Q154
    What's to stop a flying/wall climbing enemy, be it a wyvern, griffon, winged devil or giant spider from swooping in, grappling a player, flying/climbing up, and dropping them from a high place? Some of these characters have very high speeds.
    A154 Absolutely nothing. Other than they move at half speed while grappling, often have a hard time grabbing many PCs (since PCs have Athletics/Acrobatics proficiency while most monsters don't) and can be smacked around by PCs as they fly off.

Still a viable tactic, just not overwhelming unless conditions are right.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

27. - Top - End - #417

GnomeWizardGuy

Q154
    Earthbind from elemental evil.

Basically, strips flying speed while maintained. And it's fail the save once, and that's it (other than concentration breaks). Flight is gone.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

q155

Could I pair the shield fighting style with mounted combatant feat like so:
    Enemy Attacks mount
    Player uses his Shield to impose disadvantage with his reaction
    Player then uses MC to take the attack instead.

29. - Top - End - #419

BarbarianGuy

q155

Enemy Attacks mount
    A155 Yes! And my 18th level Duergar Paladin of the Ancients just kicked me the shins for not thinking of this before now...
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-12-03 at 03:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

q155

Enemy Attacks mount
    A155

I'm going to say RAW is ambiguous at best, and I suspect RAI is "no".

The way I see it, in order to use the Protection fighting style, the attack must be targeted at the mount. If it's targeted at the mount and you're using your reaction, I'd say your chance to switch the target to yourself has passed.

Alternatively, if I were to be convinced that switching was still possible, I would definitely rule that the disadvantage no longer applied, as the disadvantage requires an attack targeted at someone else, which this attack no longer would be.

Powers &8^]