New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Banned

Planetar

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

A198
    Unclear. Ambition Domain is based on you concentrating as if on a spell, and it specifies that spells and other magical effects are suppressed while within the sphere, and Concentration Spells specify there are circumstances which cause them to end prematurely, such as causing Conc Checks due to waves crashing. Conversely, AMF doesn't specify within its list of effects to end Concentration Spells.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q.199

Can a war wizard counterspell their own spells to stack power surges?

3. - Top - End - #603
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q.199

R199: My guts says "no*", but I just searched, and re-read the spellcasting rules, and for all intents and purposes you can!

*I seem to remember that if you were casting one spell, and then started a different spell, the first spell was lost but the only RAW I could find similar to that was if they're both Concentration-based spells.

This is marked "R" for Reference as I couldn't find a definitive answer...

4. - Top - End - #604
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q200 can I cast arcane gate putting a portal say on a balcony in a tower, or on a castle roof?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q200 can I cast arcane gate putting a portal say on a balcony in a tower, or on a castle roof?
    A200: Yes. Why would you think you couldn't?

6. - Top - End - #606

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A200: Yes. Why would you think you couldn't?
    R200: Because the spell description specifically says, “…on the ground…”? A balcony or rooftop are not ground.

7. - Top - End - #607

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R200: Because the spell description specifically says, “…on the ground…”? A balcony or rooftop are not ground.
    Ask an electrician or an Electrical Engineer what can qualify as "ground".

Hint: MANY more things than you'd think.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Banned

Planetar

They're not? So you can't go prone on a balcony or rooftop?

9. - Top - End - #609
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q201

Does the "bonus" action listed under the Monk's martial arts count as "part of the attack action" for the Way of the Kensei's "Agile Parry", or does the main attack action have to be an unarmed attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Arts

When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action....
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Parry

If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn...

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q201

Does the "bonus" action listed under the Monk's martial arts count as "part of the attack action" for the Way of the Kensei's "Agile Parry", or does the main attack action have to be an unarmed attack?
    A 201 Only the attacks made as part of the Attack action count. So you must make an unarmed attack as part of your Attack action (not the Martial Arts-granted bonus action attack).

When you can attack twice (level 5+), you can do the following

Action: Attack (kensei weapon), Attack (unarmed)*
    Bonus Action: 1 or 2 unarmed attacks (Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows)

and still trigger the Agile Parry ability.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #611

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    They're not? So you can't go prone on a balcony or rooftop?
    R200: Oh good point! You can even prone a flying creature. I was just going on the "common sense" usage of the word "ground".

Which, oddly, means that Erupting Earth can be cast anywhere you can stand on something. Like say a 2 foot wide, 100 foot tall pedestal! Whoosh, in a 20 foot cube erupts in a fountain of churned earth causing me 3d12 bludgeoning damage and the entire area becomes difficult terrain...
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-02-15 at 01:30 PM. Reason: formatting

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 202 Just to be 100% sure, will a drow gloom stalker ranger get increased darkvision range? Umbral sight improves darkvision, but I'm not sure if that's the general trait, or the specific named ability. Drow get 'superior darkvision', which has me confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 202 Just to be 100% sure, will a drow gloom stalker ranger get increased darkvision range? Umbral sight improves darkvision, but I'm not sure if that's the general trait, or the specific named ability. Drow get 'superior darkvision', which has me confused.
    A202

Yes, Drow Gloom Stalkers get additional Darkvision radius. Specifically, Elves have the Darkvision trait, Drow's Superior Darkvision increases the base distance of that trait, and Gloom Stalker will increase it further.

Gloom Stalker doesn't provide an alternate way to calculate Darkvision, it provides a bonus, so it stacks on top of any calculation for Darkvision. Theoretically, it could even apply if someone cast the Darkvision spell on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

14. - Top - End - #614
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 201 Only the attacks made as part of the Attack action count. So you must make an unarmed attack as part of your Attack action (not the Martial Arts-granted bonus action attack).

When you can attack twice (level 5+), you can do the following

Action: Attack (kensei weapon), Attack (unarmed)*
    Bonus Action: 1 or 2 unarmed attacks (Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows)

and still trigger the Agile Parry ability.
    Except that Agile Parry requires it’s own bonus action to activate

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Noes it don't.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Noes it don't.
    Millstone85 is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Parry
    If you make an unarmed strike as part of the*Attack*action on your turn and are holding a kensei weapon, you can use it to defend yourself if it is a melee weapon. You gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn, while the weapon is in your hand and you aren’t*incapacitated.

17. - Top - End - #617

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q.199

A.199
    Counterspell says "You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell." and "On a success, the creature's spell fails and has no effect."

First, you can't cast the counterspell after the casting of the first spell is complete. It doesn't block the spell's effect, it prevents its successful completion. Second, you can't cast two spells at once. That is, you can't use an action until your previous action is complete.

18. - Top - End - #618

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    A.199
    Counterspell says "You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell." and "On a success, the creature's spell fails and has no effect."

First, you can't cast the counterspell after the casting of the first spell is complete. It doesn't block the spell's effect, it prevents its successful completion. Second, you can't cast two spells at once. That is, you can't use an action until your previous action is complete.
    R199: Can you cite a source for those assertions?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q203

Arcane Trickster uses Ranged Legerdemain with an invisible mage hand to pick a lock or pick pocket.
    Is what they pick up or use to pick the lock also invisible?

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Q203

Arcane Trickster uses Ranged Legerdemain with an invisible mage hand to pick a lock or pick pocket.
    A203
    RAW is unsure. Note that Invisibility and Greater Invisibility explicitly mentions that it makes objects you carry invisible, where Mage Hand Legerdemain and Mislead do not.

If objects were always made invisible when held by an invisible source, why do the Invisibility spells have to make that explicit? On the flipside, Mislead would hardly work if it didn't make your belongings invisible (despite being a level 5 spell), which seems to mean that invisibility on worn objects is implied.

You could probably make a case to your DM that the Hand is capable of concealing something (it can use Sleight of Hand, after all), covering it up with its own invisible body, and that *may* conceal the object, but there are no rules supporting either direction (other than the Rule of Cool).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-02-19 at 11:50 AM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

21. - Top - End - #621

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Q203

A203: Only items worn or carried at the time the spell is cast are made invisible. However any item that can be concealed with the invisible effect can also be concealed.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/17...ome-invisible/

So with LM the hand would need to be able to fully enshrouded the item for its invisibility to effect it as well.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

A203: Only items worn or carried at the time the spell is cast are made invisible. However any item that can be concealed with the invisible effect can also be concealed.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/17...ome-invisible/

So with LM the hand would need to be able to fully enshrouded the item for its invisibility to effect it as well.
    The issue is that RL does not say it works like the spell Invisibility, it just says the hand is invisible.

It kind of depends on whether the RL ability is great or just a ribbon really. Who care is the hand is invisible if the lock picks are not?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Halfling in the Playground

Q204
    Say one of my players happens to have expertise in both Arcana and History for a formidable +8 to figure out what this Ancient Golem is. Both of these will tell him almost the same thing.
    Do i allow him to roll for both?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On a horse cart, in a Goblin ambush.

24. - Top - End - #624

Quote Originally Posted by Agent-KI7KO View Post
    Q204
    Say one of my players happens to have expertise in both Arcana and History for a formidable +8 to figure out what this Ancient Golem is. Both of these will tell him almost the same thing.
    Do i allow him to roll for both?
    A204
    RAW, that's your call as the DM.

Technically, what you're describing is an Ability Check, and each Ability Check is only ever a single attribute and a single Proficiency (if applicable!). However, there's nothing stopping you from just making it two separate Ability Checks.

There are variant rules in Xanathar's which recommends applying advantage if someone has more than one proficiency to an applicable Ability Check.

Personally, when someone asks to do something, I call for an Ability Check and I have the player fill in what Proficiency they want to use that's applicable to it, and provide Advantage if they provide a second Proficiency, although that's slightly different than what the book suggests (the book says the DM must specify the proficiency that can be applicable).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-02-21 at 10:50 AM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Q205:

Is there an item or spell that can grant a creature a feat?

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 206
    If I have a climb speed, do I also need to roll a check to climb say a tree, or do I automatically succeed just because I have a climb speed? Thanks in advance.
    Hacks!

27. - Top - End - #627

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 206
    If I have a climb speed, do I also need to roll a check to climb say a tree, or do I automatically succeed just because I have a climb speed? Thanks in advance.
    A 206
    A climb speed does not necessarily mean an automatic success on climbing a surface. Instead it means you do not suffer the 1ft penalty for climbing (or 2ft for difficult terrain). It is still up to the DM's call as to whether or not a Strength (Athletics) check is needed for the climb.
    ~I have never met a man so ignorant I could learn nothing from him~ Galileo
    My Homebrew Class: Bard College of Etymology
    Dragons in the Dining Room (D&D Twitch Stream):
    Twitch | YouTube | Facebook | @DiningRoomDrgn | @DMThac0

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q205:

Is there an item or spell that can grant a creature a feat?
    A205: No. There are certain feats that can be duplicated with certain spells or effects (such as how Resilient grants you proficiency in a saving throw, a common magical effect), but there are no items or spells that let you gain a feat of your choosing.

5th Edition Homebrewery

29. - Top - End - #629
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Q207

Are futuristic weapons (laser pistol, laser rifle, antimatter gun, etc.) considered firearms?

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Q208: A multiclass wizard/fighter can cast spells in light or medium armor without any restrictions, right?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying