New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Gods and deities

So in my little campaign I’m running I’m having the party enter a circular room with 6 statues around the edge. I was hoping I could have each represent maybe a god of some sort based on the six stats; str, dex, con and so forth. Only thing is I can’t really find any gods that represent those stats. Google is really only giving me deities and gods that have representative traits. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks guys.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Gods and deities

The first three that come to my mind are Herales for strength, Athena for Wisdom, and Hermes for dexterity.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 2018-06-26 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane13 View Post
    So in my little campaign I’m running I’m having the party enter a circular room with 6 statues around the edge. I was hoping I could have each represent maybe a god of some sort based on the six stats; str, dex, con and so forth. Only thing is I can’t really find any gods that represent those stats. Google is really only giving me deities and gods that have representative traits. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks guys.
    Have you considered making up your own Deities? It's what I do for my campaign.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If you're using the main, human pantheon of the Forgotten Realms as a baseline, I would say that the following could work:

Str - Tempus
    Dex - Mask
    Con - Ilmater
    Wis - Oghma
    Int - Mystra
    Cha - Sun

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

For constitution, maybe Atlas? He's not in the PHB, but Captain Marvel's (the Shazam one, not the alien) powers famously include the stamina of Atlas, and in myth Atlas was standing in one place holding up the sky for a very long time. He's a titan, which is just the earlier generation of gods.

Apollo, perhaps, for charisma.

From a different pantheon, you could go Odin - intelligence, Thor - strength, Baldur - charisma, Loki - dexterity, Heimdall - wisdom (because of his perception). I'm not sure about constitution; Surtur or Thrym perhaps?
    Last edited by JoeJ; 2018-06-26 at 07:04 PM.
    I've tallied up all the points for this thread, and consulted with the debate judges, and the verdict is clear: JoeJ wins the thread.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Thor isn't actually that strong. Both his sons and Loki's first wife were stronger, even with all the magic items Thor had to make himself stronger.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I’d love to make up my own but unfortunately I got a rules lawyer in my group who complains when **** isn’t by the book and it makes this campaign harder to build. But I will probably take the list above. Thank you guys.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I’d love to make up my own but unfortunately I got a rules lawyer in my group who complains when **** isn’t by the book and it makes this campaign harder to build.
    Tell them that you are the DM, the setting you're building isn't something in the books, and that if those facts are so much of an issue for them no one is forcing them to play.

You can also point out the part in the books that say "you're free to change whatever you want if you like the change better", because it's part of the rules. And don't get intimidated by any attempt to lawyer it up that person could try: the rules are on YOUR side.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-06-28 at 06:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

How about -- Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury --wisdom of Solomon, strength of Hercules, stamina(con) of Atlas, the power(magic power, so int in D&D) of Zeus, the courage of Achilles (probably another wisdom, but let's say cha for force of personality), the speed (dex) of Mercury.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2018-06-28 at 06:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Tell them that you are the DM, the setting you're building isn't something in the books, and that if those facts are so much of an issue for them no one is forcing them to play.

You can also point out the part in the books that say "you're free to change whatever you want if you like the change better", because it's part of the rules. And don't get intimidated by any attempt to lawyer it up that person could try: the rules are on YOUR side.
    I do on most occasions. There’s been a couple situations where he was like “that doesn’t happen or can’t happen because blah blah blah.” And I’ve just told him off twice saying it my game deal or gtfo so we’ll see where these deities roll into his “perfect” setting lol

11. - Top - End - #11

I’d love to make up my own but unfortunately I got a rules lawyer in my group who complains when **** isn’t by the book
    You need to tell this person, you're the DM and they're playing in YOUR world.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    The first three that come to my mind are Herales for strength, Athena for Wisdom, and Hermes for dexterity.
    For constitution, maybe Atlas? He's not in the PHB, but Captain Marvel's (the Shazam one, not the alien) powers famously include the stamina of Atlas, and in myth Atlas was standing in one place holding up the sky for a very long time. He's a titan, which is just the earlier generation of gods.

Apollo, perhaps, for charisma.

From a different pantheon, you could go Odin - intelligence, Thor - strength, Baldur - charisma, Loki - dexterity, Heimdall - wisdom (because of his perception). I'm not sure about constitution; Surtur or Thrym perhaps?

Maybe Aphrodite for Charisma (beauty), Hecate for Intelligence (magic), Apollo for Constitution (healing)?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Gonna go with a different Pantheon to present another option, but honestly I would recommend creating your own. Just think about aspects of life, how those might be associated with the stats and the cultures who might worship them with regards to how they're presented.

Egyptian Pantheon applied to your purposes:

Strength: Set / Bastet
    Dexterity: Sekhmet
    Constitution: Osiris
    Intelligence: Imhotep / Thoth
    Wisdom: Ma'at / Horus
    Charisma: Hathor

Might be other applicable deities to each, but these are just the ones I vaguely know as appropriate.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciarannihill View Post
    Gonna go with a different Pantheon to present another option, but honestly I would recommend creating your own. Just think about aspects of life, how those might be associated with the stats and the cultures who might worship them with regards to how they're presented.

Egyptian Pantheon applied to your purposes:

Strength: Set / Bastet
    Dexterity: Sekhmet
    Constitution: Osiris
    Intelligence: Imhotep / Thoth
    Wisdom: Ma'at / Horus
    Charisma: Hathor

Might be other applicable deities to each, but these are just the ones I vaguely know as appropriate.
    This made me think of the Amonkhet gods, for another possible option (granted there are only 5 but hey maybe you could do Nicol Bolas too lol)

maybe something like

STR Rhonas
    DEX ???
    CON Hazoret
    INT Kefnet
    WIS Oketra
    CHA Bontu

I'll admit I don't know the story behind these gods all that well, and you could easily swap a couple of them depending on preference. Figured some other content by WotC might be worth a shot for a DnD pantheon

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by poopyloop View Post
    This made me think of the Amonkhet gods, for another possible option (granted there are only 5 but hey maybe you could do Nicol Bolas too lol)

maybe something like

STR Rhonas
    DEX ???
    CON Hazoret
    INT Kefnet
    WIS Oketra
    CHA Bontu

I'll admit I don't know the story behind these gods all that well, and you could easily swap a couple of them depending on preference. Figured some other content by WotC might be worth a shot for a DnD pantheon
    I would make Hazoret Dex (RDW feels very Dex to me), Bontu Con (That big ol' butt 4/6 statline) and Nicol Bolas Cha -- You don't get to be God Pharaoh without Charisma.

Sidenote: I had the thought of doing a region loosely based on Amonkhet in DnD. Where there are gods who walk among the people and who swear fealty to an even higher power. Could be interesting as a setting.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Racial statlines?

STR: Gruumsh
    DEX: Corellon
    CON: Moradin
    INT: Garl
    WIS: Yondolla
    CHA: Io

Or... Exarch statlines?

STR: Demogorgon
    DEX: Morwel
    CON: Talsid
    INT: Primus
    WIS: Zaphkiel
    CHA: Asmodeus

(Leaves off Yugoloth and Slaad, who have leaders but no one definably in charge)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ciarannihill View Post
    I would make Hazoret Dex (RDW feels very Dex to me), Bontu Con (That big ol' butt 4/6 statline) and Nicol Bolas Cha -- You don't get to be God Pharaoh without Charisma.

Sidenote: I had the thought of doing a region loosely based on Amonkhet in DnD. Where there are gods who walk among the people and who swear fealty to an even higher power. Could be interesting as a setting.
    100% agree with Bolas being CHA, I just didn't really know where else Bontu would fit, and I was worried more about putting the 5 where I was feeling they should go. Hazoret being white seemed like CON would go nicely, but I'm not picky. Wanted Bolas in for CHA but it's whatever the DM wants I guess. I think playing an Amonkhet style game would be really fun, but I would definitely need to read more into it. I especially like the Cleric options they made for Amohnket. I always like slight re-tools of existing subs, and just more sub options in general.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I’d love to make up my own but unfortunately I got a rules lawyer in my group who complains when **** isn’t by the book and it makes this campaign harder to build.
    The PCs discover some information that make it clear that this campaign takes place in a different setting to RL's. Like the additional moons that never came up, because twelve moons is like just how many the world has, no need to bring it up. Or the horrible beings from outside creation that could never intrude on his 'perfect' world.

Seriously, the campaign isn't 100% by the book. So. What. It's not like he's running this campaign, when he's running a game he can do it in his world, and should not force your world to conform to his ideas.

Then you must cut a scone in half, put jam and cream on it, and eat the scone. Without letting him have any.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

ElfPirate

I do on most occasions. There’s been a couple situations where he was like “that doesn’t happen or can’t happen because blah blah blah.” And I’ve just told him off twice saying it my game deal or gtfo so we’ll see where these deities roll into his “perfect” setting lol
    If he complains about your pantheon, tell him that he's ignoring the rules of the game. RAW is completely clear: "Your DM determines which gods, if any, are worshipped in his or her campaign." (PHB p. 293).

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

Which setting are you playing in.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Envyus View Post
    Which setting are you playing in.
    Since it's 5e - and they mentioned a "rules" stickler who doesn't like custom stuff (such as gods) - I'd assume, Forgotten Realms.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

This could be a golden opportunity at world building: Strengthos, Dexteritius, Constitutiona, Intelligencia, Wisdominus, Charismon.

I am making a new campaign of extremely obviously named entities. I can't wait to introduce Queen Benevolencia and Lord Traitor!