New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Star vs Forces of Evil

Does anyone watches this (imo) amazing show?
    Last edited by Karabars; 2018-07-12 at 08:44 PM.
    "You know nothing, Khadgar!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Star vs Forces of Evil

I remembered watching one episode and really liking the animation. Maybe I should watch it more.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Not my type, but the opening song and the closing song are SO CATCHY!!

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think there's a demon guy with three eyes and Star used to date, and a severed unicorn head that repeatedly says the phrase "Earth Turd" or something like that, and I also think the actress that plays Malory Archer voices a character on this show.

The lady that runs the disobedient princess boarding school - is it the same voice as Malory Archer from the animated sitcom Archer? Is there an episode where she tell people not to leave food lying around because that's how you get ants?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, as it airs on UK children's television, where any level of coherence is basically impossible1, like so many other shows which actually have a plot (past the first season or so or whatever), I only see infrequent snatches now and again.

(I could not begin to follow Steven Universe at this point, and even something like Gumball - which I have discovered in the past handful of weeks - which is episodic has bits where I'm going "wait, that happened to that character?")

Basically, anything with an actual plot or what have you, I have to watch on DVD, Netflicks or find... Wherever... on the internet. Or very occasionally, be able to catch something like most of a series of Ninjago in order in a marathan where they've made a token attempt. Star is/was not blatently arc-centric (like Ninjago was) from the get-go so gets no such treatment, or not as far as I've seen, anyway.

1After the first showing (which is always these days at an impossible time and never even the same time), a series has the episodes repeated and shown in a largely random order from "everything the show has done until now."
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-07-13 at 02:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I watched it here:
    http://ww5.cartooncrazy.net/cartoon/...orces-of-evil/

And yes, Malory Archer's voice is in it.
    And yes, Earth turd, beheaded flying unicorn, three-eyed demon with puberty, catchy songs.

I was surprised when this show got darker. I liekd that!

7. - Top - End - #7

I think there's an episode where Star, Marco, and girl Marco kind of has a crush on with kind of blonde and pink/purple hair go to a concert. There's this one song that's romantic and a bunch of background characters kiss and two boys/male teens kiss each other. I though that was good - showing a homosexual relationship on a kid's show. How progressive!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    I think there's an episode where Star, Marco, and girl Marco kind of has a crush on with kind of blonde and pink/purple hair go to a concert. There's this one song that's romantic and a bunch of background characters kiss and two boys/male teens kiss each other. I though that was good - showing a homosexual relationship on a kid's show. How progressive!
    (That song is catchy too.) That moment surprised me and I thought: how cool!
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is that song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5ACBivlcg
    Put it in spoiler because does have a lot of spoilers in it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Star is IMO one of the five best disney princesses (along with Leia, San, Fang, and Mira Nova, in no particular order)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a mixed opinion about it. I think the art and animation is great, the character designs are alright, and the audio quality/sound mixing is absolutely atrocious. Somehow, I'm the only person on the internet to ever point that last one out, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It's hard to put my finger on why, but I love Star's voice. For some reason I just find her affect is naturally funny, which suits the character's manic personality perfectly.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

You got my hopes up that the show has already returned for a new season.

I discovered this gem accidentally and it’s one of the best things on. I am worried that it’s lost something with the last season, now that Star is transitioning to full-on princess in her own style. There’s no longer a real villain and the new advocacy and location doesn’t have the same spark for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    You got my hopes up that the show has already returned for a new season.

I discovered this gem accidentally and it’s one of the best things on. I am worried that it’s lost something with the last season, now that Star is transitioning to full-on princess in her own style. There’s no longer a real villain and the new advocacy and location doesn’t have the same spark for me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eclipsia's husband/love, the monster can be the new villain. Or they can bring someone fresh but not out of place.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Star is IMO one of the five best disney princesses (along with Leia, San, Fang, and Mira Nova, in no particular order)
    Okay, who are those? I did a google search for the three I didn't get and still don't know who those two are.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    I have a mixed opinion about it. I think the art and animation is great, the character designs are alright, and the audio quality/sound mixing is absolutely atrocious. Somehow, I'm the only person on the internet to ever point that last one out, though.
    It's called the CalArts style, and it's slowly taking over everything. Even the Thundercats aren't immune to it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Star Vs is a bit bouncier than the standard Calarts garbage art style. It seems to be a blend of that and the geometric cartoons of the early 2000s.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, who are those? I did a google search for the three I didn't get and still don't know who those two are.
    San is the real name of the title character from "Princess Mononoke" (although she's technically the daughter of a demigoddess rather than technically a princess per se)

Fang was one of the main characters from "Dave The Barbarian"

Mira Nova was from the direct to dvd Toy Story spinoff movie "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" and was also on the tv cartoon based on the movie
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-07-13 at 05:56 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

It's called the CalArts style, and it's slowly taking over everything. Even the Thundercats aren't immune to it.
    No, I actually generally like the CalArts style, I jsut meant that a good deal of the magical characters suffer from the Lolsorandom School of smashing a bunch of stuff together without any real rhyme or reason. The human/mewman characters themselves are pretty well designed, imo, but taken altogether it's only just north of alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    geometric cartoons of the early 2000s.
    That's called UPA style, based on the UPA cartoons of the 50s-60s.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2018-07-13 at 06:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    San is the real name of the title character from "Princess Mononoke" (although she's technically the daughter of a demigoddess rather than technically a princess per se)

Fang was one of the main characters from "Dave The Barbarian"
    My favorite Disney Princess is Mabel Pines because I like Kristen Schaal, and I have a very loose definition of the term princess.

Mira Nova was from the direct to dvd Toy Story spinoff movie "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" and was also on the tv cartoon based on the movie
    I actually got an answer to that with google search.