New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Nale reason for hating Malack

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I would say a big running theme of that whole adventure was that while the Vector Legion was far more genteel and socially competent, they were much more evil than Nale as a direct result of that competence. (Balancing the other running theme that Tarquin's a big bad, but he's not the mastermind he thinks he is.)

More successful at propagating evil maybe.

But given that (in War & XPs commentary) The Giant described Nale as being "no less evil" than Xykon himself, I don't think the takeaway from Blood Runs In The Family was supposed to be "The Vector Legion are all much more evil people than Nale/Xykon".
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-07-13 at 06:44 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    More successful at propagating evil maybe.

But given that (in War & XPs commentary) The Giant described Nale as being "no less evil" than Xykon himself, I don't think the takeaway from Blood Runs In The Family was supposed to be "The Vector Legion are all much more evil people than Nale/Xykon".
    Well, you could argue that Vector Legion is more evil than Xykon himself, but that's probably can not be the case.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    In light of how vile both Nale and Malack were, the reason for the grudge could easily be something legitimately horrifying that anyone less warped than the Vector Legion would have recognized as a reason for enmity, or something ridiculously petty that anyone less warped than Nale would have shrugged off.
    While it is true that the Vector Legion have committed a lot of evil things and that Tarquin has a warped morality, seeing the interactions between the other members and especially their reaction to Malak's death, I would say that the other members of Vector Legion are some of the most humanized and sympathetic villains shown in the comic. So if something horrifying happened between Nale and Malak I doubt that knowledge of the event extends beyond those two plus Tarquin.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Has it occurred to anyone that the simple fact of being senior to Nale in the pecking order was sufficient to create the hatered? Imagine ghe effects of telling Nale it was time to brush his teeth, and having thd ability to dominate him and actually make him obey?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dude123nice View Post
    While it is true that the Vector Legion have committed a lot of evil things and that Tarquin has a warped morality, seeing the interactions between the other members and especially their reaction to Malak's death, I would say that the other members of Vector Legion are some of the most humanized and sympathetic villains shown in the comic. So if something horrifying happened between Nale and Malak I doubt that knowledge of the event extends beyond those two plus Tarquin.
    I doubt they would have cared, if Tarquin or Malack tormented Nale. He's not their kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Has it occurred to anyone that the simple fact of being senior to Nale in the pecking order was sufficient to create the hatered? Imagine ghe effects of telling Nale it was time to brush his teeth, and having thd ability to dominate him and actually make him obey?
    He didn't seem to hate the rest of the VL nearly as much, though.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    He didn't seem to hate the rest of the VL nearly as much, though.
    None of them made him brush his teeth and go to bed.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

He only interacted with Laurin on-panel, and what little we saw (the way he said "Aunt" and how he relished her pain at the news of Malack's death) certainly didn't scream "Nale is cool with Laurin" to me. That said, I'm sure that even if he hated other VL members just for being above him in the pecking order, that's not the main reason why he hated Malack.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2018-07-13 at 02:11 PM.
    ungelic is us

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't see how that follows at all. Also, I don't see the Vector Legion as more humanized or sympathetic than other either, just more civil.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Well, you could argue that Vector Legion is more evil than Xykon himself, but that's probably can not be the case.
    Xykon has done horrible things, some out of boredom. He is really evil. But there is something in Tarquin that can make an argument... Because Tarquin is a lot more rational, more logical. I fear more logical evil then random evil.
    For what we know, T may have killed lots of people more then X, counting the whole Vector Legion and their plan for the Western Continent. He have a cruel dictatorship that use mass murderer, war, slavery and death fighting as a way to ensure power. Xykon didn't have anything like that before taking Azure City, and even then we can argue if Goblinoids have improved their lifestyle.
    We should not understimate Tarquin's evilness just because he's cool and funny.

You can be the most evil person in the world, and still love someone. I don't thing that Laurin is less evil just because he loves her daughter and his teamates. The Giant himself said this argument, more then once, and I totally agree.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    Xykon has done horrible things, some out of boredom. He is really evil. But there is something in Tarquin that can make an argument... Because Tarquin is a lot more rational, more logical. I fear more logical evil then random evil.
    There's a real-world analogue here that I don't dare make, but suffice it to say I fear random Evil way more than logical Evil.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't see how that follows at all. Also, I don't see the Vector Legion as more humanized or sympathetic than other either, just more civil.
    Laurin seems to truly love her daughter, that makes her look more sympathetic than Tarquin or Xykon to my eyes.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #42

Laurin seems to truly love her daughter, that makes her look more sympathetic than Tarquin or Xykon to my eyes.
    Yes, she seems to care for her daughter as much as Tarquin seems to care for Elan initially. I see no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, she seems to care for her daughter as much as Tarquin seems to care for Elan initially.
    And Nale, for that matter.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2018-07-13 at 03:31 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, she seems to care for her daughter as much as Tarquin seems to care for Elan initially. I see no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt.
    2 Reasons:
    1) Generally speaking, I find it better to take what any given work is presenting at face value until it gives you reason to doubt it.

2) Tarquin's "love" for Elan involved controlling him and putting him in danger. Laurin's love for Hannah involves helping her find clients and keeping her away from the power-plays and conspiration and murders.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #45
    Colossus in the Playground

I wish people wouldn't assert that what a character in a work says is somehow the same as what the work says.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I see no reason to assume all Evil characters are exactly like Tarquin. Laurin is a relatively minor character we saw little of. Narratively speaking, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have what she says during her limited time on-panel differ radically from what she truly is like, unless the story gave us specific reasons to question the narrative as shown (as it did with Tarquin).
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

Laurin is perfectly capable of supporting her daughter in a way that does not require subjugating half a continent under brutal dictatorship. So no, I have no reason to believe her stated concern is anything more than a self-serving rationalisation.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Laurin is perfectly capable of supporting her daughter in a way that does not require subjugating half a continent under brutal dictatorship. So no, I have no reason to believe her stated concern is anything more than a self-serving rationalisation.
    I don't see how that relates to wether or not she is caring for her daughter. There are things between "cares for no-one but themself" and "cares for everyone equally".
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Malack gave him an infraction for making another "Was Dad morally justified in grounding me?" thread.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Well, I see no reason to assume all Evil characters are exactly like Tarquin. Laurin is a relatively minor character we saw little of. Narratively speaking, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have what she says during her limited time on-panel differ radically from what she truly is like, unless the story gave us specific reasons to question the narrative as shown (as it did with Tarquin).
    Well, keep in mind that besides Tarquin we also have Malack seemingly like a superficially polite and reasonable guy up until we learned he planned on turning the continent into a literal slaughterhouse. It's the Vector Legion going 2 for 2 on "FAR more evil than they like to present themselves" thus far that makes people particularly skeptical of anyone else in it claiming to have sympathetic traits.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Laurin could range anywhere from "distant, abusive, and controlling in her own way" to "supportive, liked by her daughter" as a mother and it'd be narratively plausible. I don't think there's enough information to strongly discount it (she seems to be better at appraising situations coolly than the others) and we have real-life precedent for both. I don't really think it makes her sympathetic, though. The point is to make her look even more inhuman because she doesn't care about anyone she has to hurt to get what she wants.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2018-07-13 at 06:34 PM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Narratively speaking, what Laurin "truly is like" is irrelevant if/while* she's too minor to have scenes that explore her character beyond the superficial level. It's kind of like a corollary to the scenario with Tarquin:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I don't think Tarquin sat around thinking, "Ha ha! I am fooling them into thinking I love my family! I am so clever!" I think he thought that he really loved his family, right up until the point where loving his family conflicted with him being in total control. And then both he and the readers got to see which one of the two really mattered to him.
    Now, if I had to make a highly questionable extrapolation....I'd note that her reaction to Tarquin murdering his offspring goes beyond "take it in stride", all the way to "dispose of the body in front of the twin brother". Which...does not inspire much confidence in her appraisal of familial devotion.

* Are we still hoping for a Vector Legion prequel book? I think we are....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Good points, Jasdoif.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Narratively speaking, what Laurin "truly is like" is irrelevant if/while* she's too minor to have scenes that explore her character beyond the superficial level. It's kind of like a corollary to the scenario with Tarquin:
    Now, if I had to make a highly questionable extrapolation....I'd note that her reaction to Tarquin murdering his offspring goes beyond "take it in stride", all the way to "dispose of the body in front of the twin brother". Which...does not inspire much confidence in her appraisal of familial devotion.

To be honest, all that tells me is that she's Evil. Everybody's someone's family, after all, and that never stopped a villain no matter how much they did care about their own family.
    ungelic is us

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Laurin "Airborne Tramp" Shattersmith seems like a Redcloak-like character, if we go by her plans about supplying water and her hate of elves.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2018-07-14 at 07:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

What about Redcloak?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Laurin "Airborne Tramp" Shattersmith seems like a Redcloak-like character, if we go by her plans about supplying water and her hate of elves.
    "Airborne tramp", you are being sarcastic, right?

Redcloak's plan would be to take the Elves' water, though. Two birds one stone and all that.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

"Airborne tramp", you are being sarcastic, right?
    Inside joke.

Redcloak's plan would be to take the Elves' water, though. Two birds one stone and all that.
    She probably would do that if she can.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It’s somewhat tough to judge Laurin since we didn’t see her too much, and didn’t actually see her interacting with her child at all (although I do wonder if we’ll see her a little more if the story moves over to what’s going on in the desert). That said, I could easily see Laurin having some concern for her daughter, or at least affecting that, while still treating her in a fashion consistent with Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I certainly am, and to bring things back to this thread’s original topic, the possibility of such a book makes me lean more towards “actual reason” over “invented slight”. I think that would be something that the book could easily focus on, although obviously it by no means has to mention it at all.

However, if there is no prequel story (or the story leaves this part entirely out) then I am somewhat entertained by the various minor reasons that people have theorized, so I might side more towards those in that case.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Inside joke.
    Not quite sure what you're getting at.

I could understand if she duelled Haley rather than V.