New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest: Old World Blues

Rose runs both fore-hooves through her mane. She's clearly upset, but isn't acting out on impulses. "Damn... it's jus... well, now that he made it personal... ponyfeathers, this is gonna bother me all afternoon."

She lets out a sigh. "Well, guess back to planning this party."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I know. It changes the equation. And to that end, I need to call home before doing anything else. My father decided to take the fight to the assassins and was grazed by a bullet in the process. I imagine my mother's going crazy right about now." Sniper says. He looks at Love. "Can you do me a favor and keep an eye out for Lullaby? I'd rather she not waltz in while I've got a direct connection home."

He pulls out his cell phone and begins scrolling through numbers. In the process, a thought strikes him, and he cancels his pending posthumous messages.

Cud. He'd terminated his DNR, hadn't he? Idiot.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Firbolg in the Playground

With Love's help, Rose sets off to plan the party. Worried or no, there are changelings expecting nachos and she's promised to deliver.

Sniper hears the line ring three times before somepony picks up. "Hello? Sniper Scope? Darling, is that you?" His mother's exotic Prench accent, faint but still present from so many years in Equestria, comes as a welcome confirmation that the report was accurate and his parents are alive.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Love looks troubled by the news to everyone. She didn't know they attacked everyone's family! Everyone needs her supportive now more than usual.

She says to Rose, "Brazen is good at parties. He can really help."

Love repeatedly nods in agreement and answers Scope. "Yes, I'll guard the door and prevent any disruptions during your call."

She'll talk to Angel in a few moments about Blank and his treatment, but he can simply enjoy himself for now. That statement was a long time coming. She guards the door from the hallway.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2018-09-05 at 11:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yes, mother. It's me, Sniper."

He moves to a corner away from Merry, Blank and the others. Privacy wasn't a right afforded to him right now but he'd take however much he could get.

"I was told that there was an incident..."

His other foreleg presses against the wall. If only he knew what he was supposed to feel or do right now-- No, forget that. Don't worry about any 'supposed to's. Forcing any emotion would result in a repeat of the basement performance. A short while ago, he'd found the courage to address his problems and aggravations. He could address this one as well. There were no expectations. Whatever he felt would be genuine.

"... and I was calling to make sure you were alright. You are alright? They didn't hurt you?"
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2018-09-05 at 12:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    With Love's help, Rose sets off to plan the party. Worried or no, there are changelings expecting nachos and she's promised to deliver.
    "Brazen, you just got volunteered." Rose sets out to plan the party to satisfy the queen. Good thing there aren't any mind-readers about. Her head is a mess right now with thoughts.

(I'm guessing this is a good cut off to push continuation to the side thread?)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #877

(Yep! Off to the side thread with ye!)

There is a tremble in her voice when she answers. "No, no, they...they didn't hurt me. I threw myself to the ground when the shooting started. But...your father got hit and he's in the hospital. There was a lot of blood, but they say it was a superficial hit and he'll be alright. Except for a scar."

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Depending on the scar's location, it might become a(nother) badge of honor.

"Well, it's good that you're alright and he's going to be alright. That's a relief. What happened? From what little I heard it sounded like you were attacked at random." Sniper asks.

9. - Top - End - #879

"Well darling, I've told this story a hundred times today, I would think the word would have gotten around." That's her dramatic side coming out. "But I suppose I can share it one more time. We were having breakfast and I was just finishing my toast when there was a horrible crash. I leapt to my hooves, thinking some of the pictures in the front entryway had come down. There's one of you there from third grade. So cute. Anyway, it wasn't the pictures, it was the front door! And these horrible, masked ponies came marching in, waving guns around and telling us to sit down. Well, you know your father, he's never more than two feet from some weapon or the other. He takes the shotgun we had strapped to the dining room table and starts shooting. They beat a hasty retreat after he downed one of them, but they dragged their wounded away and left your father with a hole in his wing and me with holes in all my lovely walls! Oh, I'll never be able to find exactly the right shade of paint to blend in with the rest. Your father's better now, though. It was a horrid business all around. We might just move out."

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"He took a wing shot? I know you said he's better, but they didn't hit anything vital, did they? I heard he was grazed on the head."

Odd. One would think RT would be more precise in his account of what happened. All these little inconsistencies were starting to prove worrying. Our maybe it was his mother being dramatic. Hard to tell.

"Moving might be a good idea. If it was a case of mistaken identity, that might through them off the trail. Are the authorities doing anything to protect you going forward?" Not that they would entirely know if they were. But there was a part to play right now.

11. - Top - End - #881

"Well I think it was a wing shot. The doctors say it doesn't count because it only hit the feathers, but it counts!"

"Oh yes, they've been just wonderful. Very helpful and...supportive." She takes a deep breath. "Sniper...we have some news. And I know this isn't the best time, but given the events of the morning I...I feel like I need to tell you."

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"It's alright, Mother."

Sniper caught himself in time to change his response. Almost had a bit of emotional black hole, there.

"Sometimes there's never a good time. What do you have to tell me? It'll be alright."

13. - Top - End - #883

Despite his assurances, she hesitates. “Sniper, darling. I’m...you’re going to have a little brother.” She chuckles and sniffs at the same time. “It’s funny. We thought we were long past that time. But now, when we’re just starting to feel our age, this happens.”

“We’re happy, but not sure what the future will bring. I...I wanted you to know that, no matter what happens, we will always love you. I know we weren’t always as close as a family should be, but…” She sniffs. “Oh look at me, coming to pieces like this. I...I miss you, Sniper Scope. When you get the chance, please visit. You are my...my darling little colt. But you’re out there, saving the world, and I’m back here.” She takes a deep breath and composes herself. “Can I tell you something? Every time the phone rings, I’m afraid. Afraid that it’s going to be your commander telling me you died. That when it really counted, I couldn’t protect you.”

“And now there’s another one coming, after all this time, and I’m scared. I failed you so badly that I’m afraid what I’ll do to another child. I...I hope things turn out alright for you, in spite of me screwing up so badly.”

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sniper lays a foreleg along the wall and rests his head against it. Attempts to parse his thoughts only find a dull ache. It was like he was caught in a storm that sent all the furniture of his mind sliding around of its own accord. He reminds himself not to force any reaction but to take whatever came.

"Mother-- Mom. This is a good thing and I'm happy... I really am. It's great news and I know you'll do right by him."

His previous decision not to hide from conflict was still too new to abandon. It was time to punch the ticket and ride this crazy train all the way to the end.

"I know that because it wasn't you, Mom. It... I put you through more than any child should have. I know I hurt you badly and it caused Dad to overreact: he was afraid of where I'd end up. I... I'm sorry. If I could take it all back, I would... I wanted to make things right for a long time, but I-- I never felt that I could... I've never done enough to atone for it all."

He rolls his back to the wall and sinks to the floor. Eyes close tight against moisture threatening to escape.

"I'll be home as soon as I can. There have been some things going on lately and... and I think it's time to start over. To try all this again.

"... I-- Mom, I love you. I really do."

The tears finally escape.

15. - Top - End - #885

“Oh darling, you never needed to atone. Not for me,” she says, her own voice shaking, “We love you. And we always will. No matter what.”

“So let me say this once and for all time. Sniper Scope, my darling son, I love you. From the bottom of my heart, I love you.”

She lets out a sob, but there is joy there. The joy of reforging broken bonds. “When you do get back, please do call. We can have dinner. I can make your favorite foods. We don’t even have to talk, we can just be together.”

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I'll be there; there's a lot of catching up to do." It was a promise.

"I love you." He repeats just for the sheer wonder of it. Then a chuckle escapes him. "And since I love the little tyke, too, please don't let dad name him. Once was enough for him in my book."

17. - Top - End - #887

She laughs too. “Oh, I already made that perfectly clear. Though I’m not sure my names will be much better.”

There’s a slight commotion on the other end for a moment, but then she comes back. “Well I look forward to seeing your sweet face, but for now it seems the doctors want to go over a few details with your father and I, so I will have to step back into his room now. Be safe.”

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"You as well." Sniper concludes the call.

Surreal. He'd have to check with Rem about her abilities to see the future. Still... a big brother at his age, and there was hope that they could put everything back together. If the emotional whiplash could get any stronger he'd get thrown right off this roller coaster.

For the first time in a long while, he felt... Well... scratch that. That was the expected response. And the expected response wasn't really the right response, was it? His eyes open as he picks himself off the floor.

"Sorry, every pony." He says to those assembled. "Things got a bit more emotional there than I expected. I guess near death does that to you."

He texts Love that the conversation is over. And that he has news she'll appreciate.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

News she would appreciate? His family must be fine. Love texts Scope back from outside the room, "Sounds like good news to me. There weren't any disturbances to deter." She turns back inside. Angel and Blank still need sorted before she goes and picks up bugbutt's ex-prisoner.

20. - Top - End - #890

Angel and Violet had been practicing the fine art of talking a little louder than strictly necessary in order to not listen in to Sniper’s conversation. Angel is explaining to Emerald, Merry, and Violet exactly how great a distance ‘long-distance’ is. They boggle at the information. The idea of talking with someone ‘half a world away’ is a little much.

As for Blank, he is engrossed in the VR game and is paying no one any attention whatsoever. Neither Sniper or Love’s actions are enough to pull him away from it.

Angel will pull Love aside and talk through a treatment plan. They need to get him in the full VR suit as soon as possible. Give him games that require him to move. Since that is the only thing that seems to motivate him, they’re going to use it. After a week, they’ll move on to other things too.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Love listens to Angel and the 'finished' plan now that all the tools are here. Blank's doctors will get him through this. He has refused all treatment though, and Love really doesn't want him to delay any further. All the games require him to move! That's the main point of them. He, he is simply not playing them the way they are meant to be played. She will further curate the list and get everyone to classify every movement (necessary and 'optional') to make Angel's treatments plan easier. Blank needs to move more than his upper body though, and she has an idea.

She bends down behind the holo and picks up the wireless module (that she disconnected earlier). The only way to keep this secure is to keep everything wired. This holo looks like it belongs to Blank now. She steps out from behind the screen and raises up onto her hoofs. She puts on her show announcers voice, "Blank! I challenge you to player vs player! Virtual pvp! The game has already been chosen!" The game he is playing now. "Love vs Blank! The challengers selected." Love flexes her noodle forelegs. "Who will win in the sibling match of the century!?" Love takes on a proud winners stance. Her victory is already assured!
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2018-09-07 at 11:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #892

Blank takes one look at Love. He looks tired already and his forearms are trembling. "No," he says, "Come back tomorrow."

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Love holds up a hoof and flicks it. "That's a very strong 'no'! I'm going to need to discuss further developments with my manager."

She sneaks backwards until she is next to Angel. She whispers, "He is getting tired. His forelegs are all trembling. What do you want to do? Maybe, a game that only involves his hind legs?" She lists some leg games for Angel to select from. "Some type of sightseeing pedal boat? A 'biking' game?"

24. - Top - End - #894

Blank shrugs. "Do what you want."

Angel bites her lip. "I...I don't know. I don't want to push things too hard, you know. He's going to be sore just from this."

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Love looks confused and a little happy. "Are you saying he did what he needed to do for the day?"

26. - Top - End - #896

"I was hoping for more, but..." She shrugs helplessly. "We can't go too hard or he'll tear his muscles and won't be moving them at all. So yes, he's done his bit for the day."

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Love very happily cheers, "Thank you! Can I give you a hug?" Love does so if allowed. "Thank you so much!" She says to Blank's doctor. She'll do a few dance sways. She chuckles. "I know you are reading a book, but Blank's package has arrived. I made sure to include all of the old element movies I could find on a data bank. Music, audio books, art, etc. Things that I thought others might be entertaining. He can't work out all the time, and you should have some fun yourself."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The scene can wrap up whenever. This post or the next?

28. - Top - End - #898

Angel smiles. "Sure!" She accepts the hug eagerly. "I'm sure I can dig up something I'll enjoy."

And with that, Love needs to head off to get ready for the changeling party.

---

A new day dawns! With Wildcat's permission, Star warms up the ship's engines and actually gets to fly it again. Their destination: the zebra's old home.

However, as they are loading up, the team encounters a problem. Gear is loaded, systems are green, but their passengers aren't setting hoof aboard. The zebras stand, staring at the ship with wide eyes, overwhelmed by the size and power of the thing. The noise of the engines probably does little to help.

"What is this thing?" Anaki squeaks.

29. - Top - End - #899

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    "What is this thing?" Anaki squeaks.
    "It's a transport ship. Using similar principals to birds for flight, but instead of flapping wings, it uses those powerful engines to take off," Rose explains. She checks that her medical bag has enough supplies. "It's quite safe, we use it to get around all the time."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

d20 Re: Celestia's Finest: Old World Blues

Sniper steps up the boarding ramp. Tempting as it was to fly, under his own power, the damaged wing said otherwise for the moment. He turns back to the others.

"As Rose said, you enter here and sit inside. We'll help you buckle into your seat. Then the ship will carry you to your destination. When it lands, we disembark."

Provided no invisible dragons showed up to cause them trouble, it should be perfectly safe.

He stifles a Rem-induced yawn.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2018-09-09 at 01:20 PM.