New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XI: A good man

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    The only conclusions that I can draw are either that

a) Despite the decade of searching and speculation, there must exist some as-yet undiscovered or unnamed creature that matches the accepted interpretation of Rich's words according to the Rules; or
    b) in some way, one or more of the Rules must be wrong in its interpretation, which has erroneously eliminated the true answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    I can think of at least one other conclusion:

c) We have not yet been provided with all the clues, and it is therefore impossible to clearly and definitively establish the correct answer at this point. In fact, it is quite possible that we will not receive enough information to definitively identify MitD before its identity is revealed.
    There's also:

d) We actually have gotten the answer right despite not having all the clues, but since there's not going to be a balloon-and-confetti drop when someone figures it out in this thread, we still won't really know for sure until Rich actually reveals it in the strip, some 3-5 years from now (in my estimation).

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    There's also:

d) We actually have gotten the answer right despite not having all the clues, but since there's not going to be a balloon-and-confetti drop when someone figures it out in this thread, we still won't really know for sure until Rich actually reveals it in the strip, some 3-5 years from now (in my estimation).
    At which point I'll find whoever called it and give them an ASCII balloon-and-confetti drop.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #363
    Pixie in the Playground

This seems like a good time to pop in and establish my guess as Slaad>Protean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    If we were to numerotate the doors one per one from 1 to XXX starting from the highest one and ending with the lowest one, and from the northernmost to the southernmost in case of doors at the same height, which door or sequence of door should be opened to find "the Gate"

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can think of at least one other conclusion:

c) We have not yet been provided with all the clues, and it is therefore impossible to clearly and definitively establish the correct answer at this point. In fact, it is quite possible that we will not receive enough information to definitively identify MitD before its identity is revealed.
    In the opinion of the Giant, "It is possible to guess" (from one of the quotes collected in the OP).

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    In the opinion of the Giant, "It is possible to guess" (from one of the quotes collected in the OP).
    Which is not the same thing as being possible to deduce.

I am immensely skeptical that Rich is deliberately leaving enough clues to guarantee a diligent reader the correct answer before the reveal.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Which is not the same thing as being possible to deduce.

I am immensely skeptical that Rich is deliberately leaving enough clues to guarantee a diligent reader the correct answer before the reveal.
    "I trust that someone will figure it out eventually."
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-10-01 at 06:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "I trust that someone will figure it out eventually."
    Which, again, is not the same thing as saying that we will be able to conclusively eliminate all but one possible contender from the running. It could well be, say, a Slaad, in which case several somebodies have figured it out, but we wont know until the reveal.

Indeed, being able to definitively prove what it is before the actual reveal would seem to lessen the dramatic impact of the reveal, and I doubt Rich would want to do that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll just go ahead and register my disagreement for any parsing that when Rich said "It is possible to guess" and "I trust someone will figure it out eventually," he meant it is actually not possible to guess or figure out before the reveal.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

“Figure it out” could very easily and fairly mean something like “properly interpret the oblique clue I put in a strip that nobody even considered relevant to MitD for a long time”.

It certainly doesn’t suggest that some kind of absolute logical D&D rules-deduction must be possible.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll just go ahead and register my disagreement for any parsing that when Rich said "It is possible to guess" and "I trust someone will figure it out eventually," he meant it is actually not possible to guess or figure out before the reveal.
    Seconded. .

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Honestly, I've always thought Ruck's conclusion "D" was pretty obviously the case - the MitD may be possible to guess, and may have already been guessed, but it's not like we're going to know that with 100 percent certainty at the time.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

12. - Top - End - #372

I agree that he wouldn't intentionally make it "possible to guess" while it's not actually possible to figure out, however:

There's always the possibility that there exists two monsters that perfectly fit every clue he deems necessary to include, but he just doesn't know about one of them (or even doesn't remember the specifics about one of them) and so he sees no need to differentiate between them.

Or, alternatively, Rich considers one clue important that disqualifies one of those two monsters, but most people overlook it as "artistic license" or "not important".

So, um...I agree with the principle, but not with the specifics.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #373

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riarra View Post
    This seems like a good time to pop in and establish my guess as Slaad>Protean.
    Okie dokie. Duly noted.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

14. - Top - End - #374

There's also:

That's actually what I meant when I said, "In fact, it is quite possible that we will not receive enough information to definitively identify MitD before its identity is revealed." By "definitively identify", I mean what some people keep expecting to find, that identification that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that Monster X is the one and only viable candidate for the MitD.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

That's actually what I meant when I said, "In fact, it is quite possible that we will not receive enough information to definitively identify MitD before its identity is revealed." By "definitively identify", I mean what some people keep expecting to find, that identification that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that Monster X is the one and only viable candidate for the MitD.
    Yeah, I mean, I think the most likely scenario is that we've figured it out already; it's just not totally clear what it is because nothing is a perfect fit. And with all the brainpower that has gone into this search (presumably-- I haven't been around that long), I also don't think it's likely we're going to find something that fits better than our main guesses now.

I also don't think Rich is playing subtle word games with us, mostly because he's frequently lamented how when he tries to clarify things people take the exact words of his comments and create or extrapolate a different meaning from them.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Barbarian in the Playground

Note that Rich wrote about "possible to guess" and "figure it out" before we got to the escape scene. Which probably eliminated many candidates. So I would also interpret it as "it's possible to find a creature that fits the clues and is the correct guess, but there may also be other creatures which fit the clues" and not as "there is only one creature that fits the clues and you can thus deduce the correct creature from the clues without ambiguity".
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    Note that Rich wrote about "possible to guess" and "figure it out" before we got to the escape scene. Which probably eliminated many candidates. So I would also interpret it as "it's possible to find a creature that fits the clues and is the correct guess, but there may also be other creatures which fit the clues" and not as "there is only one creature that fits the clues and you can thus deduce the correct creature from the clues without ambiguity".
    Oh, trust me, just look at the first iteration of this thread if you want to see how many guesses died off from that. Although, I should warn you: Those were the times before we had Grey Wolf curating and, whatever your feelings on how he runs things, a cursory scan of that thread will show you what things would be like without him. Short version: Not good. There's a reason he complied the information in the first post, because that first thread is pretty much nothing but people bringing in, metaphorically, long-dead horses to be beaten.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

People seems to know about slaad pretty well. Guys like Elan and Belkar know about them at least something, so people in the circus wouldn't be freaking out that much, right?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Laze View Post
    People seems to know about slaad pretty well. Guys like Elan and Belkar know about them at least something, so people in the circus wouldn't be freaking out that much, right?
    They're adventurers, though. It's their job to know about monsters. It's not clear to me how well-known slaadi are among the general populace. (As an aside, I've never thought it a convincing argument that laypeople must somehow be able to identify some Outsiders because of temple carvings; we have no evidence that OOTSverse temples use the same Gothic architectural motifs that medieval churches did.)
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    They're adventurers, though. It's their job to know about monsters. It's not clear to me how well-known slaadi are among the general populace.
    OK, this is Belkar & Elan we are talking about. They likely have sub-9 int. And even if it was Roy and V, "being an adventurer" doesn't automatically grant knowledge of every creature under the sun.

@Laze: the idea is that a black slaad would be particularly weird looking even for a slaad - depending on what description and drawing you pick, they sometimes seem to be vantablack black. So black, in other words, that they seem like a hole in space with eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    (As an aside, I've never thought it a convincing argument that laypeople must somehow be able to identify some Outsiders because of temple carvings; we have no evidence that OOTSverse temples use the same Gothic architectural motifs that medieval churches did.)
    The tradition of decorating important religious locations with mythology goes back at least to Egyptian times, and likely further beyond it. The god of the temple beating back demons is a fairly standard way of showing how awesome your god is.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-10-03 at 06:32 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

@Laze: the idea is that a black slaad would be particularly weird looking even for a slaad - depending on what description and drawing you pick, they sometimes seem to be vantablack black. So black, in other words, that they seem like a hole in space with eyes.

Grey Wolf
    Okay, fair enough. Make sense. In that case, can slaad move across the alignment chart? They are sort of angels or demons of chaos, so they can't change their alignment, right? Monster in the darkness seems to be heading into Chaotic Good side lately, in my opinion. From what I can tell, Giant is not strictly obeying those rules, things like IFCC shouldn't be possible in D&D, but still.
    ps I hope this is not the answer that was answered a billion times already, I wasn't reading all of those threads.

22. - Top - End - #382

From what I can tell, Giant is not strictly obeying those rules, things like IFCC shouldn't be possible in D&D, but still.

IFCC don't stray far from D&D conceptually.

In Forgotten Realms, Malkizid, an archdevil (albeit one who has fled the Nine Hells), has yugoloth followers, and allies with the demon-descended fey'ri, and with the half-demons of House Dlardrageth, who lead the fey'ri.

can slaad move across the alignment chart? They are sort of angels or demons of chaos, so they can't change their alignment, right?

As for alignment change, there's plenty of fallen angels and redeemed fiends in D&D fiction (the MM makes it clear that beings with an alignment subtype can still change alignment to not match it). So why not a "redeemed slaad"?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-03 at 08:06 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, fair enough. Make sense. In that case, can slaad move across the alignment chart? They are sort of angels or demons of chaos, so they can't change their alignment, right? Monster in the darkness seems to be heading into Chaotic Good side lately, in my opinion. From what I can tell, Giant is not strictly obeying those rules, things like IFCC shouldn't be possible in D&D, but still.
    This one is a tricky one. First, the idea that demons can't change alignments comes from the Giant - it's from a commentary in the books. He considers demons and angels and the like embodiments of their respective alignments, and therefore no more capable of leaving those alignments than you or I can stop being made of matter. That said, in that very same commentary he does mention the IFCC as a counter example, of how much free will they have to change, and says they can change just slightly enough to make that partnership work.

So, back to the slaads: the argument here would be that they embody Chaos, rather than the good-evil alignment. So they'd be able to move from good to bad and back, as long as they remain pure chaos. There are two problems with this. First, and lesser, is that embodiments can't pick and choose alignments. Slaads would have to be embodiments of Chaotic Neutral. But that aside, the most damming problem is that MitD doesn't strike me as an embodiment of Chaos either. This is an individual that stays in a box that can't hold him because he was told to stay put, and holds an umbrella he hates because he was ordered to. His lavish devotion to rules really fits badly with "his entire being is chaos alignment made solid", IMnpHO.

ps I hope this is not the answer that was answered a billion times already, I wasn't reading all of those threads.
    Nah, you're good so far. It's never honest questions that bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    As for alignment change, there's plenty of fallen angels and redeemed fiends in D&D fiction (the MM makes it clear that beings with an alignment subtype can still change alignment to not match it). So why not a "redeemed slaad"?
    Because this world runs on D&D rules, unless the Giant overrules them, and while it is merely canon commentary rather than canon proper, I do believe that the Giant thinks that embodiments can't violate their essence or fail to live up to their own ideals
    Because, see, Celia isn't a deva or an angel; she's not an embodiment of Law or Good. She can mistakes and screw up, and she can fail to live up to her own ideals,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-10-03 at 08:12 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

24. - Top - End - #384

He considers demons and angels and the like embodiments of their respective alignments,
    This I remember:

and therefore no more capable of leaving those alignments than you or I can stop being made of matter.
    This, however, I don't. He calls the IFCC a "slightly more lawful demon, slightly more chaotic evil, slightly less neutral daemon" but I don't recall him ever saying that actual alignment change was impossible for such beings.

I do believe that the Giant thinks that embodiments can't violate their essence or fail to live up to their own ideals

Because, see, Celia isn't a deva or an angel; she's not an embodiment of Law or Good. She can mistakes and screw up, and she can fail to live up to her own ideals

I think a bit too much is being read into this. "Celia can make mistakes but a deva can't make mistakes" was not, IMO, the intended take-away.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-03 at 08:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

I think a bit too much is being read into this. "Celia can make mistakes but a deva can't make mistakes" was not, IMO, the intended take-away.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot read it in any other way than "an angel or deva cannot fail to live up to their own ideals". I can accept that they can make mistakes - that they thought the most Lawful, Good course of action was A, and then A turned out to be a terrible course of action, but not that given courses of action A (LG) and B (CG) and C (CE) (as far as they can determine), they are capable of choosing to do B or C.

MitD staying in the box or obeying orders and being a lapdog is not mistakes. It is rational decisions on his part.

Grey Wolf

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This I remember:

This, however, I don't. He calls the IFCC a "slightly more lawful demon, slightly more chaotic evil, slightly less neutral daemon" but I don't recall him ever saying that actual alignment change was impossible for such beings.

I generally agree, but at the same time I think a slaad is unlikely (no autocorrect, not a salad, though that too is unlikely). Elan recognizing the slaad as a force of chaos could be explained by his bardic lore, and there isn't any specific indication that Belkar actually knew what a slaad was when talking to his shoulder demons, but as Grey Wolf has indicated, there are just too many behavioral problems with the MITD for a slaad to sit well with me, as hilarious it would be if it turned out to be a black slaad.

27. - Top - End - #387

MitD staying in the box or obeying orders and being a lapdog is not mistakes. It is rational decisions on his part.

It may be more "A celestial can't make mistakes about what's Good and what's not, the way a human can".

Thus, when a celestial falls, it's entirely because they've chosen to do acts they know are Evil."

I generally have a much more lenient position on explicitly magical beings like demons. Even though I still choose to treat them with human feelings and drives, I am less critical of works that don't. Simply because, as you say, there could be some utility in that, at least theoretically.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-10-03 at 08:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388

ElfWarriorGuy

The tradition of decorating important religious locations with mythology goes back at least to Egyptian times, and likely further beyond it. The god of the temple beating back demons is a fairly standard way of showing how awesome your god is.
    I was mostly on-board with this approach, but it just occurs to me that last few dozen-ish strips (minus the most recent few) were all set *in* a temple. Specifically Thor, a deity who is all about smiting bad guys and being awesome. There have been many, many panels showing different parts of the temple (certainly not comprehensive, but we've seen at least... um, 3 significant rooms and a couple hallways?) and I don't recall seeing a single one that showed Thor fighting back hordes of demons or monsters in general. On the one hand, sure, maybe we just didn't see those parts. On the other hand, if the argument is "Commoners know what demons/devils look like because the temple artwork is full of them", then we see a big temple to just that kind of deity, and we don't see any such artwork, then its kind of a fly in the ointment.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2018-10-03 at 11:06 AM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    I was mostly on-board with this approach, but it just occurs to me that last few dozen-ish strips (minus the most recent few) were all set *in* a temple. Specifically Thor, a deity who is all about smiting bad guys and being awesome. There have been many, many panels showing different parts of the temple (certainly not comprehensive, but we've seen at least... um, 3 significant rooms and a couple hallways?) and I don't recall seeing a single one that showed Thor fighting back hordes of demons or monsters in general. On the one hand, sure, maybe we just didn't see those parts. On the other hand, if the argument is "Commoners know what demons/devils look like because the temple artwork is full of them", then we see a big temple to just that kind of deity, and we don't see any such artwork, then its kind of a fly in the ointment.
    Even if there isn't literal artwork, im willing to assume that the populace has a general popular culture idea of what being from the lower planes look like.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, back to the slaads: the argument here would be that they embody Chaos, rather than the good-evil alignment. So they'd be able to move from good to bad and back, as long as they remain pure chaos. There are two problems with this. First, and lesser, is that embodiments can't pick and choose alignments. Slaads would have to be embodiments of Chaotic Neutral. But that aside, the most damming problem is that MitD doesn't strike me as an embodiment of Chaos either. This is an individual that stays in a box that can't hold him because he was told to stay put, and holds an umbrella he hates because he was ordered to. His lavish devotion to rules really fits badly with "his entire being is chaos alignment made solid", IMnpHO.

Grey Wolf
    But being chaotic is about doing what you want, not to never follow the rules. MitD surely seems easy to influence, but this isn't about aligment chart, is about personality. Or am I wrong?