New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

"That thing has quite a bit of magic if we felt it outside of this door," Anna remarked as she took the ring and gave it a closer examination. She recast the detect magic and held it on the item for a bit longer, identifying the auras and what it was supposed to do.
    "I don't know what it does. Anybody else?"

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I need to roll a spellcraft for the ring (Attempting to ascertain the properties of a magic item takes 3 rounds per item to be identified and you must be able to thoroughly examine the object.)
    DC 15+spell level
    roll: (1d20+5)[15]
    EDIT: a 15 isn't enough for sure.
    Last edited by farothel; 2024-03-09 at 04:17 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

After playing rear-guard to no effect for some time, Elissa peers into the snow-covered room with obvious curiosity. "What a strange place. You would think an inner room would be better protected." She turns back to her self-imposed duty, contemplating the poor dead man's frozen foot once more.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'd like to explicitly ask if we *can* travel north of AA/29. My impression was that that doorway was fully blocked over, including the corpse of an ally.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, I guess that concludes this part of the complex," Bruno said, "time to head to the next part that we haven't checked out yet."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja steps through the small chambers and out into the broad courtyard once more. Now, free of the savage haunt. She gestures with her spear towards the western corridor and the doors that lie that way. She waits for the others, "Shall we sweep the western side of this place". Whilst she glances at the ring she is not the most knowledgeable on magics so asks nothing about it

Show

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 21/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Reach (15ft) MW Longspear +8 (2d6+4, X3)
    Battle axe +6 (2d6+4, X3)
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)
    MW Chain Shirt, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13

Condition None
    Axe to Grind (+1 dam if only opponent)
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Cold Weather Stuff:
    Cold weather outfit (+5), MW gloves (+2, -1 ACP), Mukuluk boots (+1 cold, -1 balance)

Signun Olavson

Signun eyes up the ring with clear avarice. "Nice shiny one there, plenty of hacksilver in that one." and at the pile of other trinkets he offers a wry "I feel we should be sharing equal spoils eh?" he watches the piles of the loot and treasure waiting to see what the others say, only half watching as the giantess walks past him.

Show

Signun Olavson
    M CN Northlander Slayer, Level 2, Init 5, HP 17/17, Speed
    AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    MW Longspear +5 (1d8+3, x3)
    throwing axes (5) +5 (1d6+2, x2)
    MW Comp Longbow (+2_ (30) +6 (1d8+2, x3)
    Chain shirt (MW) (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition None

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Yes, we do," Anna said, giving the room a last look before she would follow the others to the next location to find what was going on and also to find a way out.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

"Here let me look" Signy grabs the ring and studies it intently but soon hands it back in frustration as she can glean no further information.

Spoiler: Signy spellcraft
    Show
    Signy spellcraft to ID (1d20+6)[18]

You leave the collapsed chamber and move back into the main courtyard where you fought the spectral haunt. Observing again the notable features - namely the frieze of demonic sacrifice on the towers above, the golden deaths-head statuette in the niche, and the frozen corpse of your kinsman Berg Geirson entrapped in the impassable ice-filled archway to the north.

Looking down the hallway to the west you once-more note the recently hacked bodies of the long-dead guardsmen about the place. Presumably your fellow Northlanders disturbed some ancient undead wardens of the ice palace.

One of the doors in the hallway is smashed and stands open, revealing a room tightly packed with very old three-tiered bunk beds with frayed rope mattresses filling every available inch of floor space, only allowing for a narrow path between them. The bunks are equipped with chains at the head and foot to restrain their occupants. There are no exits from this room.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2024-04-20 at 06:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"A barracks room," Bjorn said as he looked into the big room, "we can stay here if we have to, and put our comrade here as well. But is there another way out of this place besides chopping our way through the ice?"

Anna in the mean time had taken some time to look at the death's head statuette, also doing a detect magic just in case.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

detect magic on the statuette
    appraise on the same: (1d20+5)[20]

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Anna inspects the golden skull statuette above. It's hard to tell for sure, as the item is 20ft above, but from here is certainly looks quite valuable. A brief incantation confirms a faint aura of magic emanating from the skull which Anna assess as an active abjuration spell.

Spoiler: detect magic checks
    Show
    Knowledge arcana
    Anna (1d20+6)[20]