New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Northlands Saga - Spears in the Ice IC

You pause for only a moment, uncomfortable in the presence of the zealot. The party rides on, Heltinne the last to go as she observes him respectfully. After several moments there is no sign of awareness and she turns to ride after the others.

The Bearsarker’s good eye springs open, staring, and he suddenly speaks, “The storm will come and Donar’s usurper must be laid low. Ice and cold threaten the world. The glowing stone must be returned for mind’s-worth.”

With that utterance, he falls back into his reverie and is silent....

You press on, plenty of time to discuss the strange fanatical warrior as you do. Time passes as you ride through the misty shadows of the wood. Before too long your thoughts turn to finding a suitable place to camp for the night.

Spoiler: Thalli survival check
    Show
    Thalli survival check (1d20+9)[19] to find a good campsite

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

As the man's eyes roll back and he speaks what is clearly a prophecy Freyja spits on stone to ward off the evil and makes the sign of Wodan. "A strange omen, it does not bode well for us my friends." She glances at the others, "Do any of you have thoughts on what he speaks of?" she asks as she thinks of her own thoughts on the subject...

------

A few hours later as they lay out the camp she helps light the fire and ready some of the food, taking some small pleasure in the quiet domesticity of the task. Something that she suspects she will never know for herself as she is spear wed to Wodan, as well as being cursed with the blood of the giant-folk. "I can take first watch if you would like?" she offers after their evening meal.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Lore (giants) (1d20+4)[24]
    Know (religion) (1d20+4)[24]

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Reach (15ft) MW Longspear +8 (2d6+4, X3)
    Battle axe +6 (2d6+4, X3)
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)
    MW Chain Shirt, Heavy wooden shield (+4 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, -1 Size)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 13

Condition None
    Smite Evil 1/day (+Cha hit, deflect, +Pal damage) 1 / 1 remaining
    Axe to Grind (+1 dam if only opponent)
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"No idea," Bjorn said, "we can ask around when we get back, if needed."

At the camping spot, he agreed and of course offered to take a watch himself.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne Thrainsdottir, Speaker of Spirits

Heltinne frowned as the man spoke, lost in thought for a moment. When Freyja asked about what the words meant, the Oracle shook her head. ”I am not sure what it means exactly. Donar is an one of the Thunder God’s older names. If he is betrayed, one would expect a storm of ice and wind. His usurper ... perhaps the Trickster? If so, it seems an artifact might be involved.

This is a riddle we should bring to an old mother. "

OOC - I apologize for my absence, but life has been less than normal and I’ struggling to find routine. I will endeavor to be better!

Heltinne will take the last watch to greet the dawn. PS - are we healed up?

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 15 (19) HP 9/15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Weapon: MW longspear (+4, 1d8+3), Cold iron Morningstar (+3, 1d8+2/3)
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (1/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    SLA (alter self): 1/1, Ice armor: 1hr
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4
    Effect: ER 5 vs cold, acid, electricity
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa frowns thoughtfully, stirred from her unbecoming fascination by the bizarre words and their mystical meanings. "He speaks of things not of this world," she grunts. Her own area of expertise largely being the world, she lapses into an uneasy silence as they move on.

As the night wanes, she sets her own eyes to the aid of their guide, seeking out the landforms that will best shield them against the brutal winds of winter.

"My eyes are... decently suited to the dark. I will take the overnight watch." During her allotted time, she finds a tree nearby, but out of the firelight, and scales it into some of the lower branches. The brisk wind helps to keep her awake, and nestled in the darkness, she is prepared to use other creature's need for light against them.
    Show
    Survival to aid Thalli:
    (1d20+8)[22]

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We can show it to my mother," Bjorn said, "she knows quite a lot of things."

When the watch schedule was drawn up, he volunteered for last watch.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Thalli and Elissa find a good campsite, a defensible clearing with a thick canopy above to help protect from any light rains. You picket your animals and Thalli goes about preparing a meal over a campfire chatting as he does, Signy helping where she can with herbs & flavourings.

Shortly after the white moon, Narrah, reaches her zenith in the night sky, Elissa spies something. From her vantage point in the low branches sees lights out in the forest not too far away, low to the ground and glowing with an eerie green color.

Spoiler: Elissa knowledge nature
    Show
    DC15 (1d20+4)[16]
    You sense that this is related to some sort of fey magic occurrence. Rare and mysterious, but not unheard of in these woods (particularly the deeper darker forest much further south)

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa remains in her hiding place, watching the lights. She mouths a silent prayer, one of thanks to the wilds for the blessing of this vision and the providence of nature, and one of petition for safety. Though she lacks the eloquence of training, her heart cries out to the night, the spirits, and the gods that guide.

And her arrow tip trains the lights.

Show
    She will not leave her position, unless it's obviously dangerous to stay. If the lights remain distant, she will continue to watch them, and alert the next person at the end of her watch.

1) if they approach quickly, she will call out a warning and fire upon the lights
    2) if approach slowly/cautiously/curiously, she will wait and watch until they're within ~40 feet, and then call out quietly to the lights, something like "Hello, fey creature. We don't mean you any harm."
    3) if they become visible as something more than creatures of light, their identity/shape will be important.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Elissa continues to hold her position, watching the mysterious fey lights from afar. She thinks she can see a flickering of movement out there, but it might just be a trick of the light. Nothing further seems to occur as she waits in the otherwise dark night and watches.

Spoiler: next actions
    Show
    If Elissa chooses to do nothing then watch duty will pass on to Bjorn or Heltinne....let me know if any of you wish to take any different action.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2020-12-18 at 04:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

As the time comes, Elissa becomes more agitated. Her gaze shifts back and from from the camp to the lights for almost a full minute before she makes her choice. As quietly as she can, she swings down from her perch to the forest floor. Whispering a prayer of thanks for her life so far, she watches the lights while she steps backwards to where her companions are sleeping. Never quite turning enough to remove the lights from her peripheral vision, she nudges Heltinne with her leather-clad foot.

"Wake up!" she hisses, as quietly as she can. "We're not alone." As Heltinne stirs slowly, Elissa falls to a knee, and places her hand over the silver-haired woman's mouth. She nudges her hard, with an elbow, and gently turns Heltinne's face to see the lights as well.

"What do you make of that?"

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

At the initial nudge and hiss, Heltinne's eyes opened, searching up for who had awoken her. The hand over her mouth was more than a little disconcerting, and her hand reached out for the nearby spear. As her eyes adjusted and she saw it was Elissa, she relaxed marginally, but pushed her hand away as she turned to see what had the wild woman so riled up.

”I am not sure ... give me a moment. Has it moved? How long has it been there? Were there others?"

OOC - hooboy, waiting on me, eh? I forgot if Heltinnee has dark vision, but figure she can see the light at least. don't know if she would know anything about this creature, but here's a unmodified roll in case another KS works: KS - (1d20)[14].

And also a Perception - (1d20+7)[11] and Sense Motive - (1d20+5)[8]

Couple of things. First, Heltinne had volunteered to take the last watch (to greet the dawn) but not a big deal. Second, I never saw an answer on whether we were fully healed up.

Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Spells (Unl) ghost sound, mage hand, guidance, create water, detect magic, spark, stabilize / (1/4) cure light wounds, bless, obscuring mist, endure elements
    Key skills: Perception +7; Sense Motive +5; Diplomacy +7; Heal +8; Spellcraft +4; KS Planes +6; KS Geography +5; KS Religion/Arcana/Local +4; KS History +4; Linguistics +4

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa frowns at the lack of increased knowledge. "Should we wake the others?"

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

The whispered conversation starts to rouse the sleep of the rest of the group...

Spoiler: wake up if you wish to
    Show
    Just giving everyone else the opportunity to wake up & act, if you want to, in order to be a bit more inclusive and move things along.

If not, stay sleeping

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja opens her eyes and pauses, eyes looking around for danger and her hand grasping the spear by her bedroll. Sitting up slowly she looks at others, at eye level for her when seated and can see by their furtive appearance and whispers that something must be up. Leaning in she whispers softly - "What has come to pass so as to disturb you all?"

Show

Freyja Skirlaug
    F LG Jotun (Giant blooded) Paladin (Shield maiden) 2, Level 2, Init 1, HP 22/22, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 16, CMD 18, Fort 6, Ref 2, Will 3, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Throwing axes // Javelins (2 axes / 5 javelins ) +6 / +2 ranged (1d8+4 / 1d8+4, x2 / x2)

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn had the ability to sleep through a lot of noise that he had learned as soldier. At least, certain noises, like the ones you heard when a lot of people were living in close quarters. Some noises he was very sensitive to, but not whispering of people. So he kept sleeping.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne stared at the woman for a moment, realizing she was not going to answer her questions. Sighing, she started to shrug when Freyja awoke. Leaning over, Heltinne whispered, ”We are uncertain, but it seems there is something glowing in the dark across in the woods. Do you recognize it? We do not ..."

OOC - Guess we'll pass the buck along ...
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja stares at the source of the lights or at least where the others had pointed and slowly rises to her feet. She glances at Heltinne and Elisa as she rises to her full towering height, picking the shield as well. She whispers to the others, "If you are nervous then with Wonda as my shield I will investigate" then without really waiting for much more she advances slowly towards where they had pointed. A gentle "Come, show yourself, share our camp. We mean no harm"

Show

Freyja Skirlaug

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa's eyes widen dramatically as Freyja steps forward and calls out.

Similarly without waiting for input, she dashes to a nearby tree and takes cover behind it. Peeking out around the rough bark, she nocks an arrow, but leaves the tip pointed downward. Madness! To make demands of the forest itself?!

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

When Freyja stepped out, Heltinne crouched nonplussed for a moment, then rubbed the bridge of her nose. Sighing, she moved over to wake the others as well, just in case. "Awake, but quietly ... we may have an issue that requires action. Better to interrupt your sleep with a warning than with screams and clashing of steel. "

OOC - Waking the others, grabbing her spear, and readying for any issues.
    Show
    F +1 R +1 W +4

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Freyja moves slowly through the trees towards the light. The large spearmaiden not built for stealth she is nevertheless cautious with her approach. The light flickers through the branches ahead and she wonders what she will find, the others now awake watching from a distance...

Moving through the darkness around an old bole she gazes upon a scene of faerie wonder....The lights are coming from a ring of large mushrooms, each a little lantern illuminating a circular clearing in the middle of the forest. All manner of fey beings large and small are hustling about busy putting up garlands of spring flowers, bringing in and setting up a long table and benches, and in general getting ready for a feast. Freyja is utterly ignored by the creatures, tiny sprites flittering about her ankles oblivious to her as they haul decorations like little worker bees.

Spoiler: scary?
    Show
    While not a combat encounter (yet! ) these things are still fey and somewhat unsettling to superstitious viking-type folk like yourselves =>

Sceadugengan DC13 or shaken:

Freyja (1d20+3)[18]
    Heltinne (1d20+4)[20]
    Bjorn (1d20)[1]
    Elissa (1d20+3)[6]
    Signy (1d20+3)[22]
    Thalli (1d20+3)[12]

=> Party

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Freyja Skirlaug

Freyja pauses looking at the fey with a sense of wonder, not fear as she watches their comings and going and kneels down to get a better look, putting her spear down on the grass and slinging her shield on her back. EVen as she watches trying to understand what the tiny faerie are doing she beckons to the others. "Come, come, there is no danger here, they are but faeries. amusing themselves, there is no threat here."

Show

Knowledge Religion (1d20+4)[7]

Freyja Skirlaug

Condition None
    Trip with Spear (CMB+9)

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Being woken in the middle of the night is never pleasant. Being woken and then suddenly being confronted with strange flying critters is even less so.
    "Wait, what," Bjorn said as he grabbed his sword, while his eyes darted around to see all the strange things. He didn't really pay attention to what the others were saying.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Elissa hurries up from the rear, immediately frightened by Bjorn's response. "Put away that iron!" she hisses, reaching for his arm to steady him by force if need be (as if she could). "We are in their land, do not give offense!"

Still utterly unsure if she even wants the fey to know she's there, she all-but trembles in fear at the utterly inhuman(oid) sight before them. Almost silently, her mouth continues to move rapidly, as she mumbles a stream of prayers to every spirit, god, and otherworldly being she can think of.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bjorn wasn't convinced, but he put up his weapon, although his hand stayed close to it, just in case.
    "You sure these are not unseelie," he whispered back.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure of nothing," Elissa whispered harshly. "but would not dare cause knowing offense to the Unseelie amidst their own lands. If this is but a celebration, our presence may be politely unwanted. If it is more, our presence could be a threat. With bared iron, our presence is a threat. I would not make that choice lightly."

She takes several deep breaths, visibly steeling herself in the bizarre, flickering fey illumination. She closes her eyes and mutters yet another prayer to gods and spirits unseen, this time with the weight of the divine ((cast enhanced diplomacy on self)).

When she opens her eyes, there is another emotion there: determination. She sheathes her bow and steps into the clearing, arms spread wide- unthreatening.

"Great spirits of the forest," she calls out. "We come, simple wanderers passing through. We would offer you share our fire, though it seems your table is better spread than ours." She bows low, putting herself deliberately in their mercies.

Show
    SOooooo.... Elissa isn't good at this, but I consider her to be sort of superstitious.

Diplomacy to make a good first impression? (1d20-2)[7] (yes, that counts the spell bonus- xenophobic ftw?)

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

Thalli and Signy join you, holding back, Thalli fidgeting nervous and flighty while Signy remains quiet and careful, "Beware the fey, their world is their own."

The fae folk scurry and flit about, scowling and glaring at Elissa as she fumbles her introduction. In moments, the scene changes, and the faeries have assembled along the benches in obvious anticipation. A horn sounds in the woods, and a tall, regal stag with antlers like birch branches walks to the head of the table. The stag, its rack shimmering as if crowned by glowing gems or living fire, turns and addresses you in a voice like the flow of a fresh, pebbled brook.

“Strangers, be welcome as guests or cursed as interlopers, the choice is yours. Come and sit; partake of our feast, but repay our generosity in kind, or be gone and on your way as craven and honorless men & women, mere trespassers in our domain.”

Show
    As Northlanders, you are well aware that any hesitation on your part will be taken as a refusal of hospitably — a grave crime in the Northlands!

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heltinne watched in disbelief as Elissa took the situation one step further and engaged the fey. Stumbling over her words, the group was now forced to accept their hospitality or be branded amongst the faerie folk for life. And with hospitality came obligation ...

Heltinne stepped forward and nodded her head with respect to the leader. First she introduced the group, then continued. "Let it not be said we are without honor. But know that in accepting your hospitality and protection while among your lands, we have oaths we must fulfill. I am sure you understand any requests you make cannot break the word bonds already given."

OOC - We’re in it now! Diplomacy - (1d20+7)[18] and Sense motive - (1d20+5)[8].
    Show
    AC 15 (19) HP 15 Init +1 Move 30
    F +1 R +1 W +4
    Weapon: MW longspear (+4, 1d8+3), Cold iron Morningstar (+3, 1d8+3)

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well, this will be interesting, Bjorn thought as he also moved towards the fey. He wasn't sure what to say or do, so he kept silent and kept looking around him, trying to see what kinds of fey were here.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Still trembling, Elissa immediately nods her acceptance. "Of- of course! We would be honored, great one."

If it's possible, Elissa's mannerisms are even more subdued than usual as she approaches the table with obvious trepidation. She quickly takes to the first open seat, struggling desperately to glean understanding from the postures and expressions of their unlikely hosts.