New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Reading Discworld!

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Honestly, I feel like Lords and Ladies sets up the dread of the elves better than Discworld ever sets up the dread of, well, anything. Pratchett managed to make them feel inhuman, dread-inducing in a way he never managed with any of the things from the dungeon dimensions or the human villains.
    With that said, I do see the point that once the elves actually appear, they are arguably a bit underwhelming. They run around for a bit and make a mess but the humans find a number of effective ways to deal with them quite quickly. Only the queen has any real "stage presence". So I can see why some readers might have been left cold. For me, I had bought into the threat posed by the elves sufficiently by that point thanks to the buildup that I was willing to go with it, but not everyone will have done.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Honestly, I feel like Lords and Ladies sets up the dread of the elves better than Discworld ever sets up the dread of, well, anything. Pratchett managed to make them feel inhuman, dread-inducing in a way he never managed with any of the things from the dungeon dimensions or the human villains.
    And he adds the fey vulnerability to iron into it in a myriad of ways, something the Tolkien elves don't have (except for the 'sword through the chest' vulnerability to iron we all share).
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

Pretty sure norse elves aren't weak to iron anyway, so that fits too.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

I was pretty happy with the callback to the traditional folklore versions of elves and the many ways in which Pratchett flips expectations in universe and in the less savvy reader.
    at times it was a suitably creepy depiction and I really got what imagery he was trying to portray.
    In short, Lords and Ladies is pretty good and stays on Pratchett's high standard... that said, it is not one of my favourites, meaning not one of those I re-read often.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

5. - Top - End - #635
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I was pretty happy with the callback to the traditional folklore versions of elves and the many ways in which Pratchett flips expectations in universe and in the less savvy reader.
    at times it was a suitably creepy depiction and I really got what imagery he was trying to portray.
    In short, Lords and Ladies is pretty good and stays on Pratchett's high standard... that said, it is not one of my favourites, meaning not one of those I re-read often.
    Lords and Ladies is one of my favourite of all discworld.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

6. - Top - End - #636

So, Jingo....
    Huge thumbs up!
    It sounded like I might not like it from the summary, but I did.
    So from where I stand now:
    Watch series: oooookay series at first, but really grew on to me, now clearly my favorite.

Witches: clear favorite at first, now almost a burden to read through :-(

Death series: somehow not reeeaally my thing, maybe skip it.

Wizard series: medium to good overall, with Eric being my favorite so far.
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2020-06-10 at 11:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    So, Jingo....
    Huge thumbs up!
    It sounded like I might not like it from the summary, but I did.
    So from where I stand now:
    Watch series: oooookay series at first, but really grew on to me, now clearly my favorite.

Witches: clear favorite at first, now almost a burden to read through :-(

Death series: somehow not reeeaally my thing, maybe skip it.

Wizard series: medium to good overall, with Eric being my favorite so far.
    I would recommend to not judge a Discworld book by its series
    There are strong and weak entries in each series. Each book is so different that belonging to a particular series is not indicative to your expected enjoyment (unless you really hate certain main characters for some reason). For example, the next Death novel - Thief of Time - is one of the all time greats of the series.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    I would recommend to not judge a Discworld book by its series
    There are strong and weak entries in each series. Each book is so different that belonging to a particular series is not indicative to your expected enjoyment (unless you really hate certain main characters for some reason). For example, the next Death novel - Thief of Time - is one of the all time greats of the series.
    Thief of Time is amazing and if you don't read it just because Susan is in it you're doing yourself a disservice.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #639

Is that the one with Lu Tze, the monk, as main character?
    I have read that a long time ago and liked it.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

10. - Top - End - #640

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Is that the one with Lu Tze, the monk, as main character?
    I have read that a long time ago and liked it.
    I'd say primary secondary character, but that's splitting hairs.
    Now with half the calories!

11. - Top - End - #641

Hmmm it's been quite some time. If I forgot a whole primary character it is good reading again. I had intended to skip it, but I guess I might read it again.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    This much, I agree with. Almost everything else in this post, I vehemently disagree with.

Which is why it's a good idea just to read in publication order, and not listen too much to any other opinions until you've formed your own. And always remember, feel free to stop or take a break at any time. Even at his productive peak, Pratchett only published two books a year - so if you read them any faster than that, you're binging.
    I did not read the books in publication order. I borrowed them from my library as they were available to me and I did not suffer from the lack of order in my enjoyment of them. I also don't disagree with the caution against binge reading. My brain will eventually enjoy good writing less as I binge it. I try to limit my favorite past times for maximum enjoyment by slowing down.

Also, I know that Strata is listed as a Stand Alone book but I happened to read it as one of my first Terry Pratchett novels and got the sense that the Discworld series was born from that book. If I was to list the order of Discworld I would include Strata. It certainly gives a nice twist to the series if you think about it as being the origin story.
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Thief of time is one of my absolute favourites.i can't even point out why other than the writing being done of Pratchett's finest... It's one of those I will reread with the most pleasure.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    Also, I know that Strata is listed as a Stand Alone book but I happened to read it as one of my first Terry Pratchett novels and got the sense that the Discworld series was born from that book. If I was to list the order of Discworld I would include Strata. It certainly gives a nice twist to the series if you think about it as being the origin story.
    Strata and Discwords both draw from common pools, rather than one directly inspiring the other. From the man himself:
    Quote Originally Posted by From the Annotated Pratchett File
    - Is Strata a Discworld novel or isn't it?

"Strata used the idea of a Discworld but I've never thought of it as a Discworld novel within the meaning of the act. The first Discworld novel was The Colour of Magic. Let the message go throughout the kingdom..."
    The idea originally came from a number of legends where the earth is a disk riding on the back of a turtle. Pratchett then took this idea and applied it in two books - The Colour of Magic was parodies/pastiches of existing fantasy/horror series; Strata was the same, but for the Ringworld stories.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #645
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, if Strata is a parody/pastiche of anything, it's Larry Niven. While Colour of Magic leans very strongly on Howard and Leiber.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

I admit, Thief of Time was not one of my favorites. It felt kind of... I dunno. Just a bunch of things happening, rather than a plot? And while I was actually entirely on board with Susan in her previous outings, I liked her less in ToT. Maybe I'm weird, everyone seems to love the book to bits, but for me it's always been one of the least re-readable entries in Discworld.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I admit, Thief of Time was not one of my favorites. It felt kind of... I dunno. Just a bunch of things happening, rather than a plot? And while I was actually entirely on board with Susan in her previous outings, I liked her less in ToT. Maybe I'm weird, everyone seems to love the book to bits, but for me it's always been one of the least re-readable entries in Discworld.
    Spoiler: Thief of Time
    Show
    There are several plot threads going on, but as they are all inter-related it can come across as a little incoherent in places - my problem is that it came across as a poor attempt to give Susan a boyfriend, which was then (fortunately) ignored in following books.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with you on that one.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.