New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Melee Sorcerer!? Possible!?

The Draconic origin adds abit of damage to green flame blade.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galactkaktus View Post
    The Draconic origin adds abit of damage to green flame blade.
    The +5 damage on GFB (Which you often won't be using because it's hard to get the secondary damage from it, not to mention fire is a commonly resisted type) is less meaningful than that +2d4 to one save/attack roll per short rest IMO. The AC from D Sorc probably won't matter, because you can easily just burn a 1st level slot on mage armor or 2 drop into Paladin (which generally grants more bonuses than it takes away).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

You could be a melee sorcerer WITHOUT using a weapon.

Just run up and cast all your spells in melee.

Go storm sorcerer. Run in, blast everything point blank-use your bonus action to move back 10 feet-but flavor it as being pushed back by the force of your awesome melee-magic.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

I play a melee Divine Soul and until now it's been very fun. Twinned Inflict Wounds + empowered spell to reroll those low d10 and you are dealing a lot of damage. Yeah, I have a hard time staying alive, even after my DM gave me an item that increases my Hit Die to d8. I often fall in battle, but it's pretty fun to be reckless at times, and as I loved to play melee sorcerer in 4e, I enjoy it here too.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arelai View Post
    You could be a melee sorcerer WITHOUT using a weapon.

Just run up and cast all your spells in melee.

Go storm sorcerer. Run in, blast everything point blank-use your bonus action to move back 10 feet-but flavor it as being pushed back by the force of your awesome melee-magic.
    I mean, you could but you shouldn't... you'll probably get shredded super fast given your sucky AC and low HP. It's a team game, I'm not sure the rest of the players would like playing with 1 less person because they decided to do something idiotic like playing a ranged character in melee.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, you can build it to be tankier. Plus, 10ft blowback pulls you right out of melee for free after every spell. So....you’re not in melee after you cast. OR flavor attacks as melee. Run up 10 ft put, blow back 10 feet +remaining movement. There. Done.

Go half orc or Goliath for extra survivability. Take Shield and absorb elements. You can mitigate lower AC.

The game should be fun, rather than always having to optimize out of some sense of “cause that’s how it’s supposed to be”. F that.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, you can build it to be tankier. Plus, 10ft blowback pulls you right out of melee for free after every spell. So....you’re not in melee after you cast. OR flavor attacks as melee. Run up 10 ft put, blow back 10 feet +remaining movement. There. Done.
    That puts you in range for most monsters to walk up to you and attack you. Most monsters would prefer to hit the squishy armorless dude who is causing lots of pain over the tanky dude wearing metal all over that isn't cas

Go half orc or Goliath for extra survivability. Take Shield and absorb elements. You can mitigate lower AC.
    You're already taking Shield and Absorb Elements for extra survivability, but you don't want to be using them every round. Only when the monsters make it to you and start wailing on you, or the monsters have ranged attacks. If you get to the point where you absolutely need to Shield/AE every round just to have survivability, you're burning resources too fast.

Half-Orc/Goliath do give you a little bit of extra survivability, but at that point you're just trying to make the most of a broken concept rather than doing the most survivable thing - Hanging 60ft back.

The game should be fun, rather than always having to optimize out of some sense of “cause that’s how it’s supposed to be”. F that.
    The game is supposed to be fun for all the players involved. The other 3 party members shouldn't have to feel like they have to pick up the slack just because one guy decided he was going to try to make a bad mechanical concept attempt to work in combat.

This DOES work if the DM gives you something that helps you with your melee ability (Or you drop 1-2 levels in Cleric/Paladin for more AC + HP), but I can only advise on what the rules allow, rather than what DM fiat will allow.
    Last edited by Exocist; 2018-07-10 at 05:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

We have a 18th Stone Sorcerer - 2nd Hexblade, in our campaign and he's been very effective. Every round he's been making that extra reaction attack for +3d10 force damage. He went with 18 con and +3 shield and Warcaster. Reaction attacks with Shadow Blade throws on serious damage. Repelling Blast moves enemies around effectively to prevent attacks, to get the chance for reaction attacks too, and to move enemies into an AOE position or DOT spell.

We use Flanking Advantage rules so he's always been able to teleport into a Reaction Flanking position

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Exocist View Post
    The AC from D Sorc probably won't matter, because you can easily just burn a 1st level slot on mage armor or 2 drop into Paladin (which generally grants more bonuses than it takes away).
    I whould argue that the extra spell known is really huge at earlier levels since you can omit mage armor.