New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Strange Aeons: In Search of Sanity II [IC - Group #1]

“Seems they were trying to fit in with the “rioters” just to survive. We may encounter a whole different level of threat in the core group. Nevertheless, we seek answers and like it or not, that means we must speak to Zandalus.”

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

"I don't think they were ready to fight the Tribals themselves," says Dorn. "There was food there, and someone to cook the food. It was an important resource point."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, then lets hope they are not to enraged about losing it." Jean says simply. "I will wait out here, so that you may have a place to fall back to if the negotiations go poorly. Good luck."

4. - Top - End - #394

Jean and Javert are sent to the area between the doors to the east so they are not seen by whatever lies to the east.

"Brother Jaume is a large man with a large walking stick, Akbar has a smaller walking stick, and Lord Hanley and Nadya seem fine, so, I will belt my warhammer just to be careful and focused on the hoped-for result,"
    says Dorn. And with that, he opens up the door.

This gigantic space might have once been a cafeteria or assembly hall. Now, it’s the village of a savage tribe. Wildly burning braziers stand amid yellow tents and scrap structures. Portions of the western and northern walls have collapsed, but ramshackle barricades have risen to surround them. To the east, two sets of wide stairs climb to the floor above. Around the stairs nearly a dozen bodies hang crucified upon the walls, dried crimson streaks below them, sacks cinched around their heads. Tendrils of yellow mist creep throughout the entire space, wisps endlessly lapping and fondling the bizarre encampment.
    Spoiler: What You'll Learn As You Go, But Not Necessarily Immediately Apparent
    Show
    There are three subparts to this large space: the barricades, the hospital, and the slums.

The barricades here are similar to the ones that Vaustin York put up in the hallway ... the ones from which the party was initially accosted on their exit from the sub-level. Here, yellow-robed folk squint against the mist, hoping not to be on duty when the Tribals raid again.

The “hospital” is a large tented area where Doctor Elbourne (whom you'll meet) treats almost a dozen men and women harmed by the collapsed second floor or violence from Zandalus' thugs. The tent backs up against the partially collapsed northern stairs that once led to the women’s ward. The dead-end stairs have allowed Doctor Elbourne to create a private place for himself, and even Zandalus’ most fervent followers see the wisdom in not harming their lone healer. Elbourne’s and those in his care remain relatively undisturbed. If the PCs need to rest, Elbourne offers this place.

The ramshackle slums fill the rest of the large room. Mostly constructed of broken furniture, scavenged sheets, and torn mattresses, numerous tiny hovels provide shelter to small, wary gangs of Apostles. Fighting in the slums is forbidden, a rule enforced by four Apostles in Orpiment who wander the area as guards.

Additionally, the broken walls allow mist and strange dampness to seep into the room. While the fog isn’t as bad as on the asylum grounds or in the courtyards, it still limits vision to 40 feet (roughly half the room at any given time).

Upon seeing the PCs, a small crowd forms, brandishing mismatched and improvised weapons. They keep their distance, though. The PCs are able to note that, while all of the strangers wear some bit of yellow, they don't all look like battle-hardened brutes or glassy-eyed cultists.

Before things can escalate, a man in the coat of a Briarstone doctor emerges and demands the cultists stand down. "Good! More come to gaze beyond, to serve the orpiment! Welcome, friends!"

He approaches with open arms and empty hands. As soon as he's close enough, he desperately whispers, "Nod and follow me if you want to live."

Do any PCs resist his request/ command?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Greeting Friend! We have arrived as we said. Lead the way!”

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

"An orpiment? The orpiment? Sounds interesting... lead on."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

7. - Top - End - #397

The five newcomers are led to the "hospital" in the northeastern corner of the room.
    Spoiler: Map
    Show
    On the map (on Discord), that's the space with several beds and a door leading to it that is walled off from the rest, in the NE section of this room.

Once out of sight of the crowd, the stranger introduces himself as Doctor Wren Elbourne. He became trapped here when Ulver Zandalus provoked a riot and tremors caused portions of the asylum to collapse soon after. He secured Zandalus’s tolerance—if not his trust—by treating the wounded in this corner hospital. Currently he works as he has for days, doing his best to make the wounded comfortable and trying to lie low until there’s somewhere he can escape to. With the PCs’ arrival, he sees a chance to disrupt Zandalus’ cult. He eagerly works toward this, either by assisting the PCs in whatever reasonable plans they’ve already devised, or by directing them to otherwise disrupt the cult’s work. At the outset, he welcomes any questions the PCs might have. He also offers this hospital as a place to rest, should they need a redoubt.

So, what questions do you have?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Brother Jaume extends his hand to Dr. Elbourne “Greetings doctor! My name is Brother Jaume, an amnesiac recently escaped from captivity and torture by the grey men. My compatriots and I have come from a small enclave of refugees nearby lead by Winter Klaczka, a sister of Maiden’s Choir in Caliphas. What is this cult and what can you tell us of Zandalus and his goals?”

9. - Top - End - #399

Dr. Elbourne blanches and looks around quickly as Brother Jaume mentions other refugees and quiets him down. "Hush, man," he says, the blood draining from his face. In a hushed town he hisses, "If you wish to keep the other survivors safe, do not talk about them. Not to me, not even a little bit, and press no further on it."

Once he composes himself, he begins to answer some of Brother Jaume's questions. "Ulver Zandalus ... He’s this lot’s leader and the one responsible for all this. I hear he used to be just a quiet artist who had bad dreams. I don’t know how else to explain it, but something let his dreams loose. He convinced a bunch of patients that he’s some sort of prophet and that he can lead them to the land of dreams. That was enough to start a riot. Soon after, those strange mists rose outside and an earthquake caused much of the asylum to fall apart. We’ve been trapped here ever since.

"Now, the people in yellow, Zandalus calls them the 'Apostles in Orpiment.' They’re his followers. Some have bought into Zandalus’ creed that dreams are prophecies and that Zandalus’ visions foretell the coming of a great change, but most are just scared, former patients who need treatment.

"I think to say they have 'goals' is a bit lofty. If Zandalus does actually have a goal, it is a mystery to me."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

​“What is Orpiment?”

11. - Top - End - #401

The man wags his head and says, "Fair question, actually. Orpiment, in reality, is a deep-colored, yellow-orange mineral found in volcanic fumaroles, low-temperature hydrothermal veins, and hot springs, though I doubt the actual mineral orpiment has anything to do with what's going on here. No, I think Zandalus chose the name because it is a fancy term for yellow to yellow-orange."

The group's little lord pipes up. "More germane question to necessary pleasantries, if you don't mind. Who are you?"

The man nods his head more slowly in an a-ha way. "I'm Doctor Wren Elbourne. I study and treat diseases of the mind. I only started working at Briarstone a week before things happened, and was excited for the job....that's hard to believe now."

Lord Hanley bows and says, gesturing to each person in turn, "I am Lord Hector Hanley. This man who first spoke for us is Brother Jaume of the doughty faith Erastil. This aging father here is Dorn Krolaeg, though the commoners call him 'St. Dorn the Protector' due to his miraculous life. The foreign man with the dark skin and strange beard is Akbar Qyzlibash, a simply smashing performer. And finally, the beautiful lady with the jaundiced complexion is Krisztina Marquering, though we call her 'Nadya.' (Inside joke.)"

As if directed to speak, Nadya asks a bit squeamishly, "Who are the people with bagged heads that are crucified in the hall?"

Wren is quiet in answer, a bit pained. "Victims of Aggra Loomis. She's one of the asylum's only truly dangerous patients. She killed nine men in Rozenport over forty years ago. They called them the Bag Lady murders, since she always wrapped up her victim's faces. Apparently she passed between prisons and hospitals, but finally ended up here. She's got to be nearly 70 now, but she's still strong as a devil!"

Any other questions?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Dr. Elbourne, have you seen any strange occurrences? Specifically any person spewing forth yellow vapor?”

13. - Top - End - #403

Wren thinks about this. "I take it you are referring to the fog outside? Zandalus found some way to breach the border between dreaming and wakefulness. The fog is a result; it’s like spillover from whatever dream realm he’s tapped into. But the fog isn’t the problem, it’s the things that came along with it. Weird things, like from nightmares. The worst seem content to keep to the fog, but I’ve seen strange forms slip into the asylum—figures I can’t rightly describe."

"Speaking of strange figures and dreams," pipes up the normally quiet Nadya. "Most of my new friends here had some strange shared dream, that neither I nor Lord Hanley had? And then they found reference to what might be the same creature when studying in the library. I wasn't with them then, but I read the notes. Do you know anything about a creature called the Tatterman?"

Wren nods and replies, "A lot of people are having the same dream of a gaunt thing in yellow rags hunting them. They say if he kills you in your dreams, he reveals what you really are. Sometimes that’s a corpse, sometimes it’s something worse. Regardless, everyone is terrified of sleeping, fearing the nightmares. Worse, they say that the Tatterman works for Zandalus. It’s all the more reason not to defy him, lest he send his dream assassin after you."

Invite for more questions, if any ...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“What do you know of the Briarstone witch?” Brother Jaume asks with some trepidation.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

"Has anyone explored outside the walls? Are we sure there's no path to the outside world?"

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk101 View Post
    “What do you know of the Briarstone witch?” Brother Jaume asks with some trepidation.
    Dr. Elbourne gives Brother Jaume a blank stare. "I have never heard of her .... him .... it?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    "Has anyone explored outside the walls? Are we sure there's no path to the outside world?"
    He shakes his head emphatically, "Those barricades you might have seen? They hold back what the cultists have given to calling the Tribals, so-named because they are like men, but eat men, like stories of tribal cannibals. They're actually undead called ghouls, but 'ghoul' is a term for any general boogeyman, and the Tribals are a specific type of name given due to a perceived quality .... sooo, nobody is calling them ghouls."

Dorn cuts more to the matter. "Where is Zandalus?"

“He and his closest followers keep to what remains of the halls upstairs. No one is allowed up there, though. Zandalus’ thugs stand guard, but worse, that weird mist collects up there like a snake in a hole. Who knows what they do in that fog? But we all hear the chanting and screaming…even though we try not to.”

"Both of you," says Nadya, in this case referring to Dr. Elbourne as one and her own group as the other, "have mentioned dreams and the like. Dream dimensions and strange things. But I dream nice dreams. Why are people having nightmares?"

Dr. Elbourne gives a half-tip of his head and answers, “If all that’s happened here wasn’t reason enough? I can’t be sure, but everyone’s suffering from the same bad dreams, me included: mostly visions of bleak skies and empty cities. Some say they’re the dreams Zandalus used to have, that now that they’re free of his head they’re infecting everyone else. Some say the Tatterman brought them, and he’s haunting all of our nightmares. Others think they’re visions of what’s beyond the fog. But who can truly say?”

Elbourne doesn’t know much more than this if asked, beyond being able to answer a few basic questions about the survivors and their defenses against the ghouls that sometimes raid from the west. Once he's answered the PC's questions, he makes a proposal.

“You seem like you might be strong enough to take out some of Zandalus’ guards, but there’s an army of them. Even if you beat them all, Zandalus himself is still locked away in that maze of fog upstairs. So, it seems to me, the only way to get out of here is to get rid of that mist—and I have a hint of how.

“Zandalus calls his most devoted acolytes his oneirogens. Most stay locked away with him upstairs, but at least one watches over the northwestern tower. I don’t know what he does up there, but I think he’s alone. If you got to him, you could probably wring some of Zandalus’s secrets out of him, maybe even learn how to get rid of this awful mist. Once it’s gone, what you do about Zandalus is up to you.”
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-03-07 at 12:35 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“We have encountered an Oneirogen before and I believe that removing them could end the mist and free us from this place. Not to mention freeing the tortured souls! Where is the North-West tower ?” says BJ with grim determination.

18. - Top - End - #408

"He refers to the oneirogen we found ruined in the tower room, for that is the northwest corner of the Asylum," says Dorn.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Good! Two down then. You say the rest are up stairs guarded by an army of yellow robed fanatics, right Doctor?”

20. - Top - End - #410

Doctor Elbourne nods his head.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Good. Then we just need to pick up our friend in the kitchen and find a way to sneak upstairs. Any ideas? Are these collapsed stairs possibly navigable?”

22. - Top - End - #412

"They both go up," says Doctor Elbourne, "though I have never been up there, and can't tell you more than that."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Let us go get Jean and Javert and then maybe the bird can reconnoiter these stairs.”

24. - Top - End - #414

The group heads out to the kitchen and re-connects with Jean.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

BJ speaks to the pair of wayward friends.
    “How have you faired out here?”
    after their response:
    “We have found the encampment of the followers of the mad prophet Zandalus. They are many but they look to be a bedraggled collection of patients and hospital employees living in makeshift tents. The more dangerous foes are the Accolytes in orpiment (some dark shade of yellow). They are the enforcers for Zadalus. They are upstairs along with possibly more of the Oneirgerons and the man himself. We made contact with a Doctor Elbourne, who can offer a safe haven in his hospital and information. We want to try a foray upstairs. You up for it?”
    Last edited by Blackhawk101; 2019-03-11 at 09:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean had had his sword out and open in his lap when they approached, a whetstone in one hand. He listens to their explanation attentively.

"Well, of course." Jean says. "Lead the way."

27. - Top - End - #417

Dorn is deep in thought with some inner turmoil, and finally speaks up. "Wait. Before our eagerness overtakes us. We just learned crucial intel. I think before we storm the stairs, so to speak, we need to break off and head back to Winter and let her know. Remember, this entire problem seems to have been brought about by the mad powers of an artist. We have to assume then, that our toughest challenge to come is up those stairs. If we should fall, Winter will need to know at least what is here.

"While very few of us have used anything ... I think a spell each or so amongst myself, Akbar, and Nadya .... we don't know where this will lead against the most powerful psychic we have ever likely encountered. Not only does Winter need to know what is going on here as this is no longer 'random monster time,' we don't know if our actions will cause a consequence which will change the nature of our mission and send us to more danger.

"I say we thank Doctor Elbourne for his hospitality, but pull back, and come back tomorrow.

"Brother Jaume, in particular, if you know of any prayers that may help against the specific threats we can expect to face: more apostles like we fought before; oneirogens; and a powerful psychic .... then you might better prepare yourself for the battle ahead, as well."

Nadya, it turns out, is for doing stuff now. Lord Hanley agrees with Dorn's assessment, however, for both of the primary reasons stated.

How does each person vote (given what Dorn has asked you to consider)?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

“Perhaps some discretion is warranted. I agree to return to the chapel.”

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

"We're going to need every edge possible. Reinforcements if we can get them. I agree we should head back and prepare..."

30. - Top - End - #420

The group gets back to Winter. Dorn gives a full accounting of what happened, what was spoken/ learned, and plan of action.

"This is very good news, to hear that you have struck this far. But it makes sense. For weeks you have explored the ruins of Briarstone Asylum. It was a matter of time before you would reach Zandalus' stonghold. And you have learned so much. Brother Jaume, when you came to me, though your wisdom has never lost an ounce in the madness surrounding you, yet you have grown in your ability to channel your god's blessings. I daresay you rival me now in spellcasting!

"Unfortunately, given what you told me about Dr. Elbourne hushing you when you mentioned our camp here, it is possible that some of those in his care might harbor some desire to curry favor with Zandalus - who seems if not incredibly charismatic, at least terrifying. For this reason, I must keep Captain York and his men here to guard against some type of expeditionary action should Zandalus become aware of our presence (if he isn't aware already). Obviously, I will stay here to support him with spells.

"I absolutely agree, you should rest and prepare yourselves as best you can. Physical combat, safeguarding against mental combat .... be sure that when you prepare yourselves on the morrow you are thus outfitted as best as your training, industry, and faith can provide."

Does anyone have anything that they want to mention to Winter?
    Show