New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Strange Aeons: In Search of Sanity II [IC - Group #1]

What sympathy Jean had for the man withers at his suggestion. "Then we will remove ourselves to the library." He turns to the others. "I apologize, but I cannot fight carrying Javert under one arm and, sick as he is, I cannot leave him alone. If you desire to continue without me, I understand."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

Gaye takes Jean's arm, leading him out of the hospital and hopefully the survivor's camp .... and hopefully, with the rest of the group following as well.

"I am sorry, Jean," she says, once traveling along the northern hallways. "This is unfortunate, and you are in pain because something you love is in pain as well. But, as a healer I understand Dr. Elbourne's position and stand by it. Euthanasia is not necessary, if we can do something. But there are a half-dozen people in his clinic, and some forty persons or so in the survivor camp, not to mention the two-dozen-plus at the Sanctuary. Continued exposure to Javert is only likely to make all of us sick, and we are the only hope that - despite some wearing the colors of an enemy - some threescore or more people have in possibly breaking Zandalus' hold over the asylum, and a chance of returning things to all. Wren's bedside manner seems to be because he is the only healer working at swordpoint in that camp, but disease could wipe everyone out."

Lord Hanley adds in, "Honestly, with Björn and Zoo being ill, and from what I have been reading recently, we are only putting everyone at risk by just trying to segregate within the sanctuary. I am very nervous about being exposed to disease, Jean." He looks to the northman and the desert mystic. "So, please don't fault me for not wanting to touch you two, either. But I think we may have the wiggle room we need. I know it isn't pleasant, but it seems like the Sanctuary still has stores enough for another two weeks. I say we do everything we can to ask Winter to help, but she risks exposure as well. We should have the old chapel records room as our redoubt since the library is defensibly poor at night, but enjoy the library before then. But the four of you - Jean, Javert, Björn, and Zoo - should stay away from the Chapel tonight. I named you, Jean, because you are cradling a hotbed of disease, and that is a danger to all."

"In the meantime," Akbar cuts in, trying to be diplomatic, "Lord Hanley, Gaye, Haru and I can go to and fro to make sure you are fed and have what you need so that you don't feel like you are outcasts. But I don't want to storm the stairs until everyone in our party - with or without wings - is as strong as possible."

Does this sound suitable to the party?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn looks around at the rest and crosses to Hanley shoving him to the side... "Do not speak nonsense. I am fine and I would sooner stay cooped up with chickens than spend any more time doing NOTHING..." his voice rises... "You will not lock me away simply for your paranoia!"
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #574

This is how the above actually transpired...

Björn looks around at the rest and crosses to Hanley, poised to shove him. Harley steps back and stares at the Northman. Björn barely (like, on the money) fights off some influence trying to do something to his mind. Björn continues the few extra feet to continue his shove on Lord Hanley. Lord Hanley, at some point unseen by everyone, got a knife sized for him in hand and cuts at the northman as he attacks, but the dagger clacks off of his protected joints on his strange armor. Though the Little Lord's knife couldn't cut through the armor, Björn's shove is clumsy as he wildly misjudges how fast on his feet his target is and he headbutts the shelf of books behind Hanley. Björn shakes his head as he reels with some pain, keeping from being stunned.

"Do not speak nonsense. I am fine and I would sooner stay cooped up with chickens than spend any more time doing NOTHING..." his voice rises, as he shakes his head again... "You will not lock me away simply for your paranoia!"

Being Round One ...

R1T17: "Friend Björn!" calls Akbar. "Heck speaks reason, and you answer with violence. You are the one who is paranoid. Please, break away from him and calm down. Nobody is trying to lock you away, but to protect everyone else. You will still be free to move, just not interact with the non-sick for now."

Again, Björn feels a strange influence attempt to affect his mind, but this time it seems to come from Akbar.

R1T16: With an amazing level of acrobatics, Lord Hanley gets away from Björn and goes to the southern doors of the library, and passing through. (The doors are usually open so the party can listen for trouble not just near them, but if the Sanctuary is attacked and they hear screams.)

R1T14: Björn, what do you do?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn was never interested in a fight... Just frustration... He leaves the man to run...

"Bah... Foolishness... Lead on, Jailer!" he says to Akbar...

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

6. - Top - End - #576

Gaye looks at Björn with mouth agape.

"Jailer?" Akbar asks confused. "We're in the library. There's no tether here, no jail. Just ...." he shakes his head and takes a breath. "Let's hope if we get out of this alive, that Lord Hanley can overlook what just happened."

Anyone else care to chime in one what Lord Hanley said originally, or any of the events that transpired? Also, Akbar said a name for Lord Hanley that none of you have heard before.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

Given their current situation, the days spent trapped together with little safety and less chance of relief, Jean is almost surprised that it's taken this long for the companions to come to blows. When it does happen he steps back, shielding Javert from the others in case this turned into a general brawl. He doesn't do anything to try to stop it. Truth be told, if it needed to happen it perhaps is best that it happens with fists, here, with others nearby to prevent it from getting out of hand. He is a little disappointed, though at Lord Hanley's decision to draw a knife.

As for whether Lord Hanley will overlook the issue, to be honest, Jean could hardly care less. He had larger concerns than one Lord's wounded pride, and the man's title - real or affectation - could hardly matter less inside the yellow mists.

8. - Top - End - #578

How does the party wish to proceed?

Bjorn has already shown hostility, though its not quite exactly known what that hostility is regarding what was asked/ recommended/ mentioned by Lord Hanley.

It's really a function of exposing the rest of those in the Sanctuary to disease, or dealing with the lack of dream-security that the Sanctuary has when you go to sleep.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-07-25 at 07:53 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm not going to go on my own, so I suppose we should rest up. I just want to get out of here and this fog, and back to a decent meal."

Spoiler
    Show
    Once we're back to our quarantine, Zoo will spend an SP every hour to raise his constitution. Otherwise, he'll stay on bed rest.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Haru shakes his head softly after watching the exchange. He had been silent thus far, but finally felt the need to break his silence to speak. "I believe we have the right of it. We should rest and allow ALL of our company to be in the best condition we can manage. That said. Haru turns to Bjorn and speaks directly to him. "I can remain nearby while you and the others rest. I'd rather not catch what you have, but seeing as I do not seem to need sleep, or at the very least, can go a very long time without it, I can sit watch for you guys and keep you company. I suspect it would be more comfortable for you if you knew there was a competent watch while you slept."
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn looks to Haru and silently nods his assent.

The whole thing did not sit well with him, but seeing as how the snooty bastard seems to insist they were all sick, he'd go along with it... For now...

12. - Top - End - #582

Winter does not want to lead folks way to the library, so she will send Lord Hanley. "Winter has our meals hot and ready in the Chaplain's Office, which is a little roomier, and not as creepy as the Chaplain's Records Room. The children that normally stay their during the day will be sequestered as well as possible in the Sanctuary during the day until disease has passed us all and we can clean the Office. Otherwise, Winter has asked Haru - since she realizes you need no sleep - to keep watch in the hallway with the night guard. That will give a little more space to the party.

"And I will be with you. Because of my prolonged contact with all of you, I am to remain with you and not in the Sanctuary. During the day and when we are not taking meals in the office, we can spread out, relax, regain strength, and study here in the library. Does that work for all of you?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn looks with scorn at Hanley... "Great..."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

"It works well enough. Thank you for sorting it out Hanley." Zoo says as he slides down a wall into a sitting position.

15. - Top - End - #585

Björn looks with scorn at Lord Hanley, who returns the favor. In the end, despite his small size, it is the large northman whose gaze relents and looks away from the much smaller, weaker man.

The group gathers and goes to the chaplain's office to get their evening meal. While there, Gaye will assist Winter in making the rounds on everyone (and everything) that is diseased. Then, there will be a lot of washing of hands and the like, and then preventative measures for everyone else.

The group then lounges in the library since that has more room and the books. Jean hovers over Javert while reading what he can that might give him insight into magics. Zoo meditates (code for: takes it easy). Lord Hanley reads a psychology book. Björn tutors Akbar and Haru in combat training. Gaye reads a well-illustrated book on birds (Guide to Ornithology).

When it is time for the party to retire, they go back to the chaplain's office, and jam in as best they can. Haru takes the watch outside the door, in sight of one of Captain Denomar Winoparess, the night watchman at the Sanctuary door.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586

That night, Haru is fine (because he doesn't sleep), but everyone else has dreams. Some are more affected by it than others ...

Spoiler: Akbar; Lord Hanley (separately); Jean & Javert (together)
    Show
    The character wanders in an endless cloud of yellow vapor. Other shapes form and vanish in the mist, fleeting, unsettling things that refuse to be focused upon. After what seems like a lifetime, an exhausted-looking man with a ponytail of straight, white hair stumbles through the fog. He’s insane with desperation. He tries to pass the PC by, but if stopped or restrained he gapes and shouts, “We’re all lost here! We’ll never escape!” before rushing away. His ranting, “What have I done? What have I done?” follows him as the dream ends.
    The next morning, it is clear that Javert can't even move. Javert is now bedridden, which is beyond even disabled. He is, or can be, awake ... and can mentally converse with Jean. But he can't move or take any MAs or SAs.
    Spoiler: Björn
    Show
    The dream begins as a scene in now-familiar deserted alleys, with the PC wandering an endless, alien city pursued by mists. Soon, a wall collapses, revealing a disproportionately small room. Inside, an ancient Keleshyte woman sits on a stool at a simple table. She looks up at the dreamer and offers a simple piece of advice, “Your past was the sacrifice.” The dream ends immediately after. You wake up haggard and unrested, but at least you are no longer sick.

Spoiler: Gaye
    Show
    The dream begins as a scene in now-familiar deserted alleys, with the PC wandering an endless, alien city pursued by mists. Soon, a wall collapses, revealing a disproportionately small room. Inside, an ancient Keleshyte woman sits on a stool at a simple table. She looks up at the dreamer and offers a simple piece of advice, “Beware the yellow walkers.” The dream ends immediately after.
    When Gaye wakes up, she is sick, and has suffered 2 CON damage and 1 DEX damage.
    Spoiler: Zoo
    Show
    Zoo finds himself back in the same endless, alien city as in his original nightmare flight from the Tatterman. The scene plays out much as that dream did, but when the mists pull back to reveal the gaunt monster, it seems surprised to see the character. It ***** its head and floats forward. The dream ends just as the monster is reaching out to caress that character’s face.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Not willing to leave Javert in his present state, Jean sits a silent vigil by his side. Occasionally, he tries to distract himself with books and treatises but such things never last him long.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn will rise and gather his gear and move back to his previous place in camp, refusing even to glance in Hanleys direction.

19. - Top - End - #589

Day 15

As Jean remains with Javert, Björn goes to the Sanctuary even before his morning routine, collecting his bedroll and gear. He passes Haru in the hall to see the morning guard in place.

"Sorry, Mr. Vinter," he says, "but I can't let you in until Winter clears you." He then giggles at something to himself before realizing that is inappropriate.

Björn, do you try to bull your way through, or wait for Winter?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn looks at the guard, growls at him before turning to stalk back... Seeing Haru once again, he opts to deposit his gear nearby and begin his morning routine there, instead.

21. - Top - End - #591

Meanwhile, the guard calls for Captain York, who gets a report and in turn asks for Winter. She comes out and says, "Well, how are we feeling this morning, Mr. Winter? Mind if I perform an examination?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I feel as fine as I did yesterday morning... If examining me will make you happy, then do so." he grumbles...

23. - Top - End - #593

She will perform an examination. Björn does his best to remain surly even as he has to drop his astal suit so she can listen to his bare, muscular chest. It doesn't help that the small woman is attractive with a stern beauty, but - medically speaking - she only seems interested in what Björn has at lung-height and higher. "Okay, you aren't going to like this, but I need to give you a choice, and that affects your friends. Either you can re-join the encampment, but you cannot interact with your frieds - not for a seance or anything - until everyone (and everything) has been given the all clear, even if that takes a few days. Or, you can accept that you are healthy for now, but stay with your friends - I don't know if you are going out today or not - and not be given access back into the Sanctuary. Oh, you can put your shirt back on, Björn."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Björn will slowly put his shirt back on while maintaining eye contact with her smiling...

"I feel, I could be of more use to you... and the camp... if I were allowed back instead of being cooped up with the ill. I'm sure I could find ways to... help you."

25. - Top - End - #595

"Sure, you could be. If option #1 is chosen."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Then that’s the option I choose.”

27. - Top - End - #597

"Great!" Winter says cheerily while slapping his chest with her palm twice. "Go get breakfast, do your morning routine, then report to Capt. York to be inserted into the guard rotation. That would be helpful."

And with that, she heads into the chaplain's office to check on the others.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

With an eye roll, Björn gathers his gear and does as suggested.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean does stay with Javert, telling the others that, though he wishes to be out of this bedeviled place as soon as they, he cannot in good conscious leave his avian friend to suffer alone - no when he is so weak, and so small. He will refrain from leaving until Javert's situation is resolved, one way or another.

30. - Top - End - #600

As Winter comes in to check on everyone, Lord Hanley says in response to Jean, "Well, do we want to explore the unknown spaces in the meantime? And wait until your bird is ready for the final confrontation?"

"If you do,"
    interrupts Winter as she is ushering in Haru from guard duty and begins looking over Zoo to clear him, "you will have to do it without Björn. He has been cleared to enter the rest of everyone else in the Sanctuary. But as soon as he or any of you whom I clear stick around those who are sick, you have to stay here or the library until everyone in your group is clear. If I heard right, even though Jean doesn't appear ill, he is staying here with the crow.

"For those of you who are healthy, those are your options. Peel apart once you are cleared and go to the Sanctuary to stay until everyone is cleared. Or, stay here until everyone is cleared. If you go adventuring, I don't mind, but as soon as the healthy start hanging around with the sick again, then I can't clear you for the chapel."
    Show