New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Grappler Concept

First Post - Grappler Build (Inspired by Grappler's Manual)

Rolled Stats:
    Str - 18
    Dex - 14
    Con - 14
    Int - 8
    Wis - 9
    Cha - 8

Race: Lizardfolk - Idea is to keep one hand free to grapple, shield in offhand for Shield Master knockdown, and bite for various weapon attacks

1. Barbarian 1 - Rage, Con Saving Throw, and Unarmored Defense will edge out Natural Armor from racial. Intend to use Greataxe until level 4
    2. Barbarian 2 - Danger Sense should be enough for Dex save I think.
    3. Barbarian 3 - Totem Spirit - Bear for damage reduction.
    4. Barbarian 4 - Feat: Shield Master and swap to Grappling focus. Grapple with free hand, bonus action to knock prone.
    5. Barbarian 5 - Extra Attack for bite.
    6. Barbarian 5, Rogue 1 - Expertise for Athletics and Acrobatics as prof. bonus increases.
    7. Barbarian 6, Rogue 1 - Aspect of the Beast - Bear. Double carrying capacity for grapples.
    8. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1 - Feral Instinct for advantage on initiative.
    9. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 1 - At a loss for fighting style. No Melee Weapon for dueling and dont really want to mess with weapon dropping mechanics. Went protection as it seemed to be the only fit.
    10. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 2 - Action Surge is great but I can't make good use of it yet.
    11. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 3 - Martial Archetype: I really struggled here and am open to suggestions. I ended up picking Cavalier. Bite is classified as an unarmed strike and unarmed strikes are considered melee weapon attacks. So bite can proc unwavering mark. Also, warding maneuver and hold the line look good later.
    12. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 4 - Feat: Martial Adept - Now bite can trigger Disarming Attack and Menacing Attack.
    13. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 5 - Dead level
    14. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 6 - ASI: Str, Str to cap
    15. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 7 - Warding Maneuver seems good.
    16. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 8 - ASI: Con, Con
    17. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 9 - Free reroll on saving throw? Yes pease.
    18. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 10 - Hold the line should enable an extra lockdown with bite AoO
    19. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 11 - Extra attack
    20. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 12 - ASI: Con, Con to cap

I haven't been playing very long and am open to ideas. Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Grappler Concept

Quote Originally Posted by Caziam2 View Post
    First Post - Grappler Build (Inspired by Grappler's Manual)

Rolled Stats:
    Str - 18
    Dex - 14
    Con - 14
    Int - 8
    Wis - 9
    Cha - 8

Race: Lizardfolk - Idea is to keep one hand free to grapple, shield in offhand for Shield Master knockdown, and bite for various weapon attacks

1. Barbarian 1 - Rage, Con Saving Throw, and Unarmored Defense will edge out Natural Armor from racial. Intend to use Greataxe until level 4
    2. Barbarian 2 - Danger Sense should be enough for Dex save I think.
    3. Barbarian 3 - Totem Spirit - Bear for damage reduction.
    4. Barbarian 4 - Feat: Shield Master and swap to Grappling focus. Grapple with free hand, bonus action to knock prone.
    5. Barbarian 5 - Extra Attack for bite.
    6. Barbarian 5, Rogue 1 - Expertise for Athletics and Acrobatics as prof. bonus increases.
    7. Barbarian 6, Rogue 1 - Aspect of the Beast - Bear. Double carrying capacity for grapples.
    8. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1 - Feral Instinct for advantage on initiative.
    9. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 1 - At a loss for fighting style. No Melee Weapon for dueling and dont really want to mess with weapon dropping mechanics. Went protection as it seemed to be the only fit.
    10. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 2 - Action Surge is great but I can't make good use of it yet.
    11. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 3 - Martial Archetype: I really struggled here and am open to suggestions. I ended up picking Cavalier. Bite is classified as an unarmed strike and unarmed strikes are considered melee weapon attacks. So bite can proc unwavering mark. Also, warding maneuver and hold the line look good later.
    12. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 4 - Feat: Martial Adept - Now bite can trigger Disarming Attack and Menacing Attack.
    13. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 5 - Dead level
    14. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 6 - ASI: Str, Str to cap
    15. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 7 - Warding Maneuver seems good.
    16. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 8 - ASI: Con, Con
    17. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 9 - Free reroll on saving throw? Yes pease.
    18. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 10 - Hold the line should enable an extra lockdown with bite AoO
    19. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 11 - Extra attack
    20. Barbarian 7, Rogue 1, Fighter 12 - ASI: Con, Con to cap

I haven't been playing very long and am open to ideas. Thanks.
    Check with your GM about Bear Aspect affecting grapples. Rulings vary on that.

Solid build, but you might want to consider a second level of Rogue. If you plan on moving your grappled opponents, Cunning Action gives you a lot more mobility, and combines nice with increased Barbarian speed. Similarly, Totem Spirit (Elk) may have a more consistent payoff than the Bear's damage reduction. Mileage depends on how much you face physical vs energy type attacks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Looks like a pretty solid build.

Your racial unarmored AC would be the same as the Barb's class unarmored AC to start. Just saying

So is bite going to be your main/only damage source? It's flavorful but doesn't scale and never becomes magical which will be important at higher levels.

Don't take expertise in Athletics AND Acrobatics as it seem redundant. Maybe Athletics and Perception?

I'd go Battle Master all the way. I do NOT like Martial Adept as I think it's a weak feat. One sup die per short rest? weak. I houseruled that the player could use both maneuvers once per short rest and I still thought it was weak. Battle Master adds a lot of damage and flexibility. Riposte is great with a grappler build. You get attacked, you make a quick bite with your reaction.

I agree Protection style probably fits best for you unless you want to wear Medium Armor and then Defense would help. Dueling would be a good backup plan. Shield and Battleaxe! Perfect for Fighting things that can't be grappled or things that require magic weapons to be hurt. I played a Grappling Barbarian who preferred to not use weapons but sometimes still had to for the reasons listed above. Also keep in mind that SOMETIMES you'll need to make a ranged attack to keep from dropping out of rage. I kept a couple of Handaxes for such an occasion. Dueling applies to a thrown weapon btw per Crawford.

I'd consider Tavern Brawler as a better alternative to Martial Adept. I know the 1d4 unarmed strikes doesn't help you, but being able to make an attack after a grapple really helps.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash3906 View Post
    Check with your GM about Bear Aspect affecting grapples. Rulings vary on that.

If you plan on moving your grappled opponents, Cunning Action gives you a lot more mobility, and combines nice with increased Barbarian speed.
    Good call. I could press Rogue 2 after Barbarian 7 and then into Fighter 11.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Looks like a pretty solid build.

So is bite going to be your main/only damage source? It's flavorful but doesn't scale and never becomes magical which will be important at higher levels.

Don't take expertise in Athletics AND Acrobatics as it seem redundant. Maybe Athletics and Perception?

I'd go Battle Master all the way. I do NOT like Martial Adept as I think it's a weak feat. One sup die per short rest? weak. I houseruled that the player could use both maneuvers once per short rest and I still thought it was weak. Battle Master adds a lot of damage and flexibility. Riposte is great with a grappler build. You get attacked, you make a quick bite with your reaction.

I agree Protection style probably fits best for you unless you want to wear Medium Armor and then Defense would help. Dueling would be a good backup plan. Shield and Battleaxe! Perfect for Fighting things that can't be grappled or things that require magic weapons to be hurt. I played a Grappling Barbarian who preferred to not use weapons but sometimes still had to for the reasons listed above. Also keep in mind that SOMETIMES you'll need to make a ranged attack to keep from dropping out of rage. I kept a couple of Handaxes for such an occasion. Dueling applies to a thrown weapon btw per Crawford.

I'd consider Tavern Brawler as a better alternative to Martial Adept. I know the 1d4 unarmed strikes doesn't help you, but being able to make an attack after a grapple really helps.
    Good point on the nonmagical bite. I might vary into an axe and shield dueling build after all. My GM may let me homebrew something to make bite magical being as weak as it is though. Acrobatics Expertise was more for flavor over optimization but yes it is redundant. I figured I don't gain much using Tavern Brawler as I'm using my bonus action for Shield Mastery knockdown after the initial grapple. Yes I didn't notice I was only getting 1 superiority die. I'll reconsider Battlemaster or at least change that feat out.
    Last edited by Caziam2; 2018-07-13 at 12:39 PM.