New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1126 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Wow, how bad is Hilgya's will save? Seems like "Come here and give me your baby" would be worth a second one at least.

Powers &8^]

The order was just "Come here." Looked to me like Durkon straight up took the baby.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Chaotic Neutral Human Sorcerer (5th Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength - 11
    Dexterity - 16
    Constitution - 11
    Intelligence - 15
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 11

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdb-44 View Post
    Ugh, I forget that part of the back story and since I'm busy at work I don't have time to look it up. What happened with Durkon's father and a troll?

Thanks--
    From what we were told, he died fighting a troll with a draconic template (and thus seemingly fire resistance/immunity) instead of the normal troll the party was expecting. Of course, that could all change in the next update or two.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Havelocke View Post
    This is the straw that breaks EVERYTHING. Durkon is going to snap, the Order may snap...its on folks. Nobody puts Baby in a corner!
    Uh...the baby's own mother handed him over to be used as a human shield. If she's still ok with it while being dominated, so are the others.
    But hey, I've complained multiple times already about how ludicrously successful the barrage of dominates has been, even when ordered to do stuff that offers a new save and no one broke free still.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Uh...the baby's own mother handed him over to be used as a human shield. If she's still ok with it while being dominated, so are the others.
    But hey, I've complained multiple times already about how ludicrously successful the barrage of dominates has been, even when ordered to do stuff that offers a new save and no one broke free still.
    You sure have. What you haven't done, is explained why the domination gaze power, and for that matter the Dominate Person spell, doesn't spell out "the victim gets a new save to break the Domination whenever you order them to do anything," if any action that benefits an enemy or hurts allies automatically trips the "against your nature" clause.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    The characters of the OotS are notoriously poorly built. Look at Roy, for example: he has not properly dump-statted his Int score, and he has skill points invested in non-combat skills that don't apply to mobility. I know a couple of players who could munchkin the OotS characters for upwards of 50% increase in combat effectiveness.

Kudzu on Durkula's lap may seem like a wise move to Durkula, but I get the feeling that it's the first step in his defeat.

I notice that Mr. Scruffy is coming to the rescue. Again. (I hope it works.)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The save is if it's against their very nature. What makes them who they are. Not any random order. Ordering Haley and Elan to kill each others would definitely mean another save because they truly love each other, but we haven't known Hilgya long enough to know if she doesn't really hold no feelings whatsoever for Durkon anymore. There may be lingering affection. He is the father to her child.

Edit: Also apparently Belkar somehow got back the dagger he threw. Huh.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2018-07-13 at 09:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

My first thought was that this is really bad for UnDurkon... He's now trapped with a high level cleric who won't stay dominated forever, and who will be very angry when she wakes up.

But mini-hostage aside, if she breaks her domination, can he just walk out? Are Hilgya and Kudzu the ones trapped in there? I thought the shell could only be used defensively... using it to trap your enemies seems to be bending that rule (yes I know the rules are only a guide here, but still).
    Last edited by Darkhands; 2018-07-13 at 09:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The straw that breaks the camel's back is going to be that Durkon* said "daddy" when talking to Kudzu and someone is going to notice that. That will be the part where Durkon's* downfall will be his own fault.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Could be a different dagger.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

The big plot points here are awesome, a welcome combination of the expected (Durkon’s mom beginning to explain why she’s on the Wall of Donors) and the unexpected (Kudzu as anti-life shell).

But the small stuff is hilarious. Dominated-Elan wins: “the feel-good compulsion of the year” “three-and-a-half hypno-swirlies”.

It’s the low rating, three and a half (presumably out of five) that tickles me most. Well played, Giant.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2018-07-13 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

11. - Top - End - #41

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jdb-44 View Post
    Ugh, I forget that part of the back story and since I'm busy at work I don't have time to look it up. What happened with Durkon's father and a troll?

Thanks--
    Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    From what we were told, he died fighting a troll with a draconic template (and thus seemingly fire resistance/immunity) instead of the normal troll the party was expecting. Of course, that could all change in the next update or two.
    Specifically, both him and the half-dragon troll were crushed to death in a Hail Mary cave-in he caused after the troll's draconic template made their flaming weapons completely useless. The funeral was empty-casket. That's a very important detail because there's exactly one clerical spell in the SRD with a 25k price tag--True Resurrection. The 9th-level spell you use to bring someone back from death if no remains can be found, assuming that any exist in the first place.

The obvious question now is, why on Earth would a newlywed man and father-to-be pass up a second chance at life with his wife and child? Especially after his widow nearly bankrupted herself trying to bring him back?
    Last edited by Teln; 2018-07-13 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Specifically, both him and the half-dragon troll were crushed to death in a Hail Mary cave-in he caused after the troll's draconic template made their flaming weapons completely useless. The funeral was empty-casket. That's a very important detail because there's exactly one clerical spell in the SRD with a 25k price tag--True Resurrection. The 9th-level spell you use to bring someone back from death if no remains can be found, assuming that any exist in the first place.

The obvious question now is, why on Earth would a newlywed man and father-to-be pass up a second chance at life with his wife and child? Especially after his widow nearly bankrupted herself trying to bring him back?
    Hmm. The only thing I can think of...
    Durkon's father isn't dead yet. He is (or was) trapped in the tunnels, but still alive.

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

I get it... Durkon's plan must be to deafen the vampire with the loudest DUN DUN DUNNNN ever!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would like to hear more reviews about this domination.
    "Dominastic !"
    "Loyalty training ends up costing more time and money."
    "I can neither confirm nor deny wether or not I was being dominated at that time."
    "Kill. All. HumansDwarves."
    "Beats being thrown in an acid vat."
    "Not that kind of domination."
    "I murdered my fellows PCs, and all I got for it was a backstabbing from my new boss."
    Last edited by Cazero; 2018-07-13 at 09:35 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Could be a different dagger.
    He's certainly close enough to have grabbed it back.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Greg's suspiciously specific denial that the memory isn't distracting him is very interesting, though. That he felt the need to specify that the memory was not distracting him despite no one else knowing that he was watching a memory seems to be very meaningful.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Can someone explain how the forumites figured out this reveal in advance? I know we saw the Wall of Names of Very Rich Donors back in #1112, but how did our super sleuths figure out that one of the runic entries in there was Sigdi's?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Fun Fact: 25,000 gp is exactly the price of a True Resurrection.

So I assume Durkon's father actually is alive? Who could he be, because I assume his reveal will change something there.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post

So I assume Durkon's father actually is alive? Who could he be, because I assume his reveal will change something there.
    While the 25000 gp is pretty clearly implying a True Resurrection the actual price of getting one cast is 26530 gp. The 250000 gp only pays for the material components you also have to pay 10*caster level*spell level to the cleric to cast it.
    In fact since the 25000 gp worth of diamonds get consumed in the casting the cleric only get's to keep the 1530 extra gp.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Making Kudzu cry!

Durkula so deserves comeupens now!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You sure have. What you haven't done, is explained why the domination gaze power, and for that matter the Dominate Person spell, doesn't spell out "the victim gets a new save to break the Domination whenever you order them to do anything," if any action that benefits an enemy or hurts allies automatically trips the "against your nature" clause.
    I wouldn't say any action, myself, but given how vociferously Hilgya defended bringing her baby into an active combat situation over leaving him somewhere safer, I would have thought "voluntarily hand over your baby" might have garnered another save. (Although, of course, it's possible that it did and she failed. I'm not finding this development implausible, myself.)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sardonic View Post
    Can someone explain how the forumites figured out this reveal in advance? I know we saw the Wall of Names of Very Rich Donors back in #1112, but how did our super sleuths figure out that one of the runic entries in there was Sigdi's?
    Probably by first finding the font.

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Now's probably a good time to point out that one of those names is in fact:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sigdi Thundershield.

The one above it is Shirra Copperbottom, which may be Sigdi's friend.

Here's the font.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

He could have been revived but chose to abandoned them. Aside from being a painful and traumatic memory for Durkon, though, I don't see how this would help. It wouldn't make sense if he just dies again after the revive, and "Sorry ma'am, your 'donation for the cause of your husband's resurrection was greatly appreciated, but no refunds!" is pretty dire. He could be one of the other dwarfen characters?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. I wonder if she donated to get Durkon's pa resurrected, and he declined to come back. I feel like the real reveal runs deeper than that, though, especially as to how she got the money in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    While the 25000 gp is pretty clearly implying a True Resurrection the actual price of getting one cast is 26530 gp. The 250000 gp only pays for the material components you also have to pay 10*caster level*spell level to the cleric to cast it.
    In fact since the 25000 gp worth of diamonds get consumed in the casting the cleric only get's to keep the 1530 extra gp.
    It might be that the temple of thor waved the 1530 gp, and only required the 25k, maybe because it happened in the line of duty, or because the temple doesn't charge for resurrections in general. I don't know, just speculating of course.

But it really only leaves a few possibilities:
    a) Dad didn't want to come back
    b) Dad wasn't dead, so couldn't come back (but that would mean a horrific fate of being trapped under rubble the whole time, and why did nobody do anything?)
    c) Dad came back, but died again before Durkon was born
    d) Dad came back, but left the family

Durkon specifically saved this memory for this occation because he thinks it will shake the Vampire's concentration or believe or change things in some way. I'm wondering which of these would.
    a) Probably just gets the Vampire to laugh, but otherwise, I don't think it would matter to him
    b) Would probably make the Vampire laugh even louder. Again I don't think it would matter
    c) Depending how he died again, it could mean he currently resides with Hel... but all that would do is probably give him more ammunition by threatening to also torture Dad's soul now, I can't see how that would help.
    d) The hall could belong to him, and he shows up and wrecks face when revealed. Durkon having learned from Elan realized that that would happen at the dramatically opportune moment, which means it won't happen before he learnd the memory. Ok I'm fishing here.

Oh... one last idea:
    When the resurrection failed Thor gave Sigdy a "one true res free" voucher... which Durkon holds now, and is going to use... from within the Vampire... But for that the vampire needed to be aware of it... which makes no sense at all either.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think it's affecting him more than you might think. He really went out of his way to say, aloud that he wasn't being distracted by the memory. And earlier, he said the same thing in and outside of his mind about "it's not over yet./?" when the female vampire gloated that Belkar was following her orders without question. There's something fishy going on.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    I thought Durkula was Lawful Evil and agreed to let Durkon's family live. This... does not seem to be him upholding his end of that bargain.
    Antilife Shell doesn't harm living beings, just makes people outside the shell unable to cross it.

However, using the baby as a shield against Roy's bastard sword is effectively putting him in harm's way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

If she had spent 25k on True Resurrection material components (diamonds), that would not count as a donation to the temple. Even if the temple sold to you the material as a double-dipping commercial process, that's still a regular purchase, not a donation. The message, I think, is that she could have had the resurrection cast, but chose to donate the funds to the temple instead, not that the resurrection failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    However, using the baby as a shield against Roy's bastard sword is effectively putting him in harm's way.
    No, it is not, not if you know Roy, which both Durkon and Greg do.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-07-13 at 10:17 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #59
    Firbolg in the Playground

While the True Resurrection speculation is interesting, remember that the High Priest of Odin was the only Dwarf Cleric powerful enough to regenerate a lost limb, so certainly no-one at the Temple of Thor could cast the higher level True Resurrection.
    Well, unless Sigdi's "At least these days" comment is implying the existence of more powerful Clerics who had died by the time of that memory.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

eek Re: OOTS #1126 - The Discussion Thread

Ouch. That doesn't look good.