New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default hello, opinions on an archetype

i'm not a power gamer and i just play for fun but i've been out of tabletop gaming for a few years now and kinda got that itch again

I was wondering what people thought about the Sensate fighter archetype and was wondering if its any good or if anyone has tried it out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: hello, opinions on an archetype

Quote Originally Posted by magwaaf View Post
    i'm not a power gamer and i just play for fun but i've been out of tabletop gaming for a few years now and kinda got that itch again

I was wondering what people thought about the Sensate fighter archetype and was wondering if its any good or if anyone has tried it out.
    It's... okay. It doesn't really help the fighter all that much. You lose Heavy Armor proficiency, so this is basically for dex focused Fighters, and the other class features accentuate this point by granting you Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.

Overall, I probably wouldn't ever use this because there are better archetypes out there. In fact, the base Fighter is probably stronger in some cases.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Losing Weapon Training is a huge negative because you lose access to Advanced Weapon Training options. This is doubly painful because Armed Bravery basically renders Centered Senses obsolete, and doesn't require an action to activate nor go away when you go to sleep or fail a save. Perfect Senses is great but you get it far too late to matter (and you were able to afford item-based solutions to these problems ages ago anyway.) All in all, a cool idea that ends up pretty superfluous in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I agree that losing weapon training is not worth it, particularly when you need a move action to turn on your weapon training like ability. Not getting heavy armor proficency makes it even less dippable. The guarded senses are better than bravery and the skills are kind of okay, so I could see dipping a level or two for feats...maybe.

It is a cool concept, but the execution is poor. I would build a similar themed character as a barbarian, monk, ranger/slayer, or even another fighter.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Losing Weapon Training is a huge negative because you lose access to Advanced Weapon Training options. This is doubly painful because Armed Bravery basically renders Centered Senses obsolete, and doesn't require an action to activate nor go away when you go to sleep or fail a save. Perfect Senses is great but you get it far too late to matter (and you were able to afford item-based solutions to these problems ages ago anyway.) All in all, a cool idea that ends up pretty superfluous in practice.
    what is armed bravery? i can't find it

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magwaaf View Post
    what is armed bravery? i can't find it
    Armed Bravery is an option for Advanced Weapons Training.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... Ok, like a bunch of other archetypes, this one is geared towards a very specific kind of game or campaign. Letīs say you want to recreate the classic Alone in the Dark style, then this is the fitting archetype to play an Edward Carnaby and is just fine the way it is. Compared to the overall bunch and what Fighter are generally capable of? No, don't do it.