New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Knowledge Cleric 1 / Wizard X

Hey guys,

So I am joining a campaign with some friends and it's been a while since i played 5e, so I thought i would hash this concept out here before things are set in stone. I'm looking for a high-skilled battlefield controller who can hold his own if he gets in a bad spot. RP concept is a character driven by the pursuit of knowledge, with the ability to turn that around and use it in the world.

Taking cleric at first level. Wizard after that. We start at lvl 1, but I will list my skills/spells for character lvl 2.

Race : High Elf
    Background : Sage

Stats (27 point buy)
    Str 8
    Dex 14
    Con 15
    Int 16
    Wis 13
    Cha 8

Skills
    2x Arcana (domain)
    2x Nature (domain : we will be exploring a large archipelago)
    Insight (cleric)
    Medicine (cleric)
    History (sage)
    Investigation (sage, optional as domain already gives me arcana)
    Perception (elf)

Cleric cantrips
    Guidance, resistance, light
    Wizard cantrips
    Mage hand, Message, Ray of Frost
    Elf cantrip
    Minor Illusion

Wizard lvl 1 spells
    Shield, Find Familiar (owl for the win), Sleep, Alarm, Hideous Laughter, (Comprehend Languages or Disguise Self)

Divinations focus, when it comes to that.

I have access to detect magic and identify through my cleric lvl, and they are rituals so i figure thats sorted there. Will likely prepare bless and cure wounds.

I am dropping religion as there are some other cleric/pally builds in the party who I imagine will take it, and because the RP concept has me leaving the dogma of my faith for a more pure pursuit of knowledge. I would have liked to squeeze stealth in somehow very much, I suppose I could have taken history instead of insight or medicine and then subbed that out in my background for stealth... Interested in opinions there.

As a cleric, I have access to shields and medium armor, and as a high elf I have access to long/short swords and bows. I will definitely be using medium armor. The DM has said he wants to loosen the requirements for casting while holding things (and so will strengthen warcaster to compensate). The DM is also giving us a special magic weapon which will increase in power as we lvl. I started out thinking I would use a longbow, and the DM created a cool bow that I can tuck in and out of a pocket dimension as a free action, which when drawn causes an arrow of mist to coalesce on the bowstring. The arrow makes no sound as it flies thru the air or when it hits a target, and can be targetted with minor illuision or greater illusion spells (with the knowledge that minor illusion cannot move so the arrow must be targetted after being fired with this spell). This bow will increase in power presumably as I lvl.

That said, I would really like to use a shield. It gets problematic with the bow but at least that can be tucked in and out of the pocket dimension. I could finesse a shortsword, too, and the DM will likely be lenient with arcane focus as a crystal on the hilt of the sword. All of this starts to make me think of cantrips as well, as Im more of a 3.5 player and didnt realize that WotC had buffed cantrips so significantly. I figured I might as well take at least one damaging cantrip just in case. As you can maybe tell, Im not really good at making up my mind when it comes to this part of the character creation. Medium armor yes. Shield yes please but is this going to be a pain in the ass with a longbow? Ugh. Also, can i pick up rapier profficiency somehow or are shortswords ok?

Feats I am looking at, besides getting Int to 20 (Is this such a strong priority?), are Resilient (Con), Observant (Wis), and Alarm. I have no idea if we will make it to 20th lvl though, I really wish feats were more common as I want to play with them but it looks like I will be lvl 13 before I should even take Resilient.

Anyhow, let me know what you guys think or especially if there was anything I have missed.

Oh yeah, I have languages up the wazoo. Common, Elf, Sylvan, Draconian were definitely on my A-list. Then I guess Celestial/Infernal/Deep are interesting, maybe something common like orcish wouldn't be a bad idea. I have no idea. Not sure I care that much with comprehend languages as a possibility.
    Last edited by Caesar; 2018-07-13 at 09:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Knowledge Cleric 1 / Wizard X

My brother actually started running a build like this, and I will ask you the same question that I asked him.

Why not Cleric 2? The Knowledge domain's Channel Divinity is amazing for the character archetype you're going for, and allows you that much more flexibility.

You don't have to; just putting a thought in your head.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In a mountain after a cave-in.

MY STATS OFF THE ELITE ARRAY:
    Str: 14 Dex: 8 Con: 12 Int: 15 Wis: 10 Cha: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    I wish I had you for a DM...
    Please critique my 5e Beguiler Wizard subclass!

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...izard-Subclass

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Oh yeah, I have languages up the wazoo. Common, Elf, Sylvan, Draconian were definitely on my A-list. Then I guess Celestial/Infernal/Deep are interesting, maybe something common like orcish wouldn't be a bad idea. I have no idea. Not sure I care that much with comprehend languages as a possibility.
    Comparatively speaking, you do (common, elven, 2 for sage, 2 for knowledge cleric). They go fast though. Strictly speaking, check with your DM. 'All arcane types know draconic' is a 3e-ism that might not hold up. I've found that it and Celestial/Infernal/Abyssal are great ones to use with comprehend languages as 1) you usually only need to understand it, not speak it, and 2) since it mostly shows up in texts rather than someone speaking it, the 10 min. ritual casting time is usually less burdensome. Orcish or goblin or giant, OTOH, if you want to speak/comprehend it, you generally want to do so right now.

To the rest of your build--it looks good. I think you really need to decide if you are going to be a breastplate and bow (AC 16) rear-liner (in which case pick up stealth skill and run if people try to get you into melee) or a half-plate and shield (AC 19) and cantrip character who spellcasts from the second line (in which case maybe see if you can get an item other than the bow). Putting on or taking off your shield is an action, not an object-interaction action. Switch-hitting like that is not worth the output. Make a choice and stick with it. All In-My-Opinion, of course, it's your character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Did I miss where you said which Wizard school you want to take?

Knowledge Cleric/Wizard is always a really strong character. Taking another Cleric level or two is great, but not mandatory. Getting Int to 20 is always great if not a little boring. I think Booming Blade is a good choice for your racial cantrip. Of course you don't WANT to use it, but it's nice to be there if/when you get stuck in melee. Ask your DM how he would rule holding a shield and using a Longbow. Of course how often are you really going to be wanting to shoot something with a bow anyway? Starting at level 5, most ranged cantrips would be superior anyway.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I have access to detect magic and identify through my cleric lvl, and they are rituals so i figure thats sorted there. Will likely prepare bless and cure wounds.
    Detect Magic is a ritual, but as a cleric, you have to prepare it to cast it as such, and you can only prepare two spells (cleric level + wis mod). I think you have better uses for those spots.

If you take it as a wizard, you never have to prepare it.

There are opportunity costs either way, but I think they are far lower if you learn it as a wizard.

Identify comes with your domain, so, not really the same deal.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by GreyBlack View Post
    Why not Cleric 2? The Knowledge domain's Channel Divinity is amazing for the character archetype you're going for, and allows you that much more flexibility.
    Because you are giving up quite a lot of power for it. Sure, you can once per rest get a proficiency bonus at any skill check for ten minutes, but the build already picks up a ton of skills, most notably perception and investigation, quite possibly the most important skills in the game and something you cant really use knowledge of the ages for when it comes to random, passive checks. On the other hand, you push your wizard spell levels back another notch (so no third lvl arcane spells until you are caster lvl 7!), no attribute bonus/feat until lvl 6 etc, and in fact you lose a feat entirely presuming you make it to lvl 20.

To me, that just looks lack-luster, especially as I want to start digging into the arcane bag asap. This is a wizard build, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Comparatively speaking, you do (common, elven, 2 for sage, 2 for knowledge cleric).
    Isnt it

Common, Elven, bonus language (high elf)
    Two bonus languages (knowledge domain)
    Two bonus languages (sage background)

So that is seven languages in all, five of which are bonus.

They go fast though. Strictly speaking, check with your DM. 'All arcane types know draconic' is a 3e-ism that might not hold up. I've found that it and Celestial/Infernal/Abyssal are great ones to use with comprehend languages as 1) you usually only need to understand it, not speak it, and 2) since it mostly shows up in texts rather than someone speaking it, the 10 min. ritual casting time is usually less burdensome. Orcish or goblin or giant, OTOH, if you want to speak/comprehend it, you generally want to do so right now.
    Draconic is definitely something the DM says I can know, I assume with my sage background/knowledge domain fluff, he wont be too strict with the others, either. Its a good point on fancy-vs-standard_monster, though, and something I will think about.

To the rest of your build--it looks good. I think you really need to decide if you are going to be a breastplate and bow (AC 16) rear-liner (in which case pick up stealth skill and run if people try to get you into melee) or a half-plate and shield (AC 19) and cantrip character who spellcasts from the second line (in which case maybe see if you can get an item other than the bow). Putting on or taking off your shield is an action, not an object-interaction action. Switch-hitting like that is not worth the output. Make a choice and stick with it. All In-My-Opinion, of course, it's your character.
    Hmm. Why not breastplate with a shield for AC 18, dont take disadvantage on stealth checks should they arise, and keep the shield ready but not worn while we are just walking around in day-to-day exploration, switching to wearing the shield in confined spaces or areas where we expect danger/ambush. So in the normal case, I can use my bow if we get involved with anything at range, and use just one action to wear my shield should the need ever arise.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Did I miss where you said which Wizard school you want to take?

Knowledge Cleric/Wizard is always a really strong character. Taking another Cleric level or two is great, but not mandatory. Getting Int to 20 is always great if not a little boring. I think Booming Blade is a good choice for your racial cantrip. Of course you don't WANT to use it, but it's nice to be there if/when you get stuck in melee. Ask your DM how he would rule holding a shield and using a Longbow. Of course how often are you really going to be wanting to shoot something with a bow anyway? Starting at level 5, most ranged cantrips would be superior anyway.
    Oops yeah, Im going diviner. Editted the OP, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sinon View Post
    Detect Magic is a ritual, but as a cleric, you have to prepare it to cast it as such, and you can only prepare two spells (cleric level + wis mod). I think you have better uses for those spots.

If you take it as a wizard, you never have to prepare it.

There are opportunity costs either way, but I think they are far lower if you learn it as a wizard.

Identify comes with your domain, so, not really the same deal.
    Ahh yeah, I knew I was forgetting something there (domain spells used as rituals vs normal) so yeah, detect magic goes on my wizard list in that case.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Isnt it
    Common, Elven, bonus language (high elf)
    Two bonus languages (knowledge domain)
    Two bonus languages (sage background)

So that is seven languages in all, five of which are bonus.
    Yes, I had forgotten that high elves get a third language.

Draconic is definitely something the DM says I can know, I assume with my sage background/knowledge domain fluff, he wont be too strict with the others, either. Its a good point on fancy-vs-standard_monster, though, and something I will think about.
    You certainly can, it is a question of whether you need to. 3rd edition spent a bit of time enforcing the idea that draconic to wizards was something like Latin to renaissance scholars--all the other wizards/scholars knew and used it, so you frankly better as well. 5e hasn't done as much of that.

Hmm. Why not breastplate with a shield for AC 18, dont take disadvantage on stealth checks should they arise, and keep the shield ready but not worn while we are just walking around in day-to-day exploration, switching to wearing the shield in confined spaces or areas where we expect danger/ambush. So in the normal case, I can use my bow if we get involved with anything at range, and use just one action to wear my shield should the need ever arise.
    That is a perfectly reasonable strategy. My reasoning on the dichotomy I made was that wizards tend to have two strategies-1) avoid being targeted at all costs, or 2) try as hard as possible to survive being targeted instead. I figure it you went with strategy 2, you should go all-in (picking up half plate for that one extra point of AC), and thus not wasting a skill on stealth, nor the bow as your starting magic item. If your DM actually rewards versatility, then by all means go for your strategy.

As others have pointed out, the marginal utility of the bow drops off quickly (at level 5 you will be at +5+*/1d8+2+* with bow, and +7/2d8 with Ray of Frost if you put your ASI into INT).
    (* being any magic bonus)
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2018-07-13 at 10:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, I was just thinking 1 point of AC might be worth avoiding the stealth disadvantage (especially coupled with illusions/utility spells later). As for the cantrip vs bow problem, well everybody is getting a legacy weapon so I imagine it will keep pace with a lvl 0 spell since the DM is hoping I actually use it..

That said, a longbow was my idea so I could choose something else as a legacy weapon/item.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Feats I am looking at, besides getting Int to 20 (Is this such a strong priority?), are Resilient (Con), Observant (Wis), and Alarm.
    Higher int gives a better spell save DC which is really important at especially lower levels when proficency is low and you don't necesarily have enough spell options to target a wide variety of saves.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

As usual, it depends entirely upon what you think you will spend most of your time doing. If your wizard solves most of their problems by casting spells --particularly those that an opponent resists (whether with saves or with AC) rather than things like knock or grease or sleep, then it's hard to argue against Int. Fighters and barbarians and rangers probably want to pick up their PAM, Sentinel, GWM, or SS before they max out their combat stat, and any type of gish who needs War Caster to get their schtick going at all (or any other build that is based on a 'schtick', like a Shield Master shoving build or a Magic Intiate dependent concept) is going to want to pick those things up first. But otherwise, getting to primary stat 20 is usually a good tactical decision.

Mind you, one I break all the time, but that's because I specifically like my fighters to have ritual caster feat or wizards with healer or rogue with inspiring leader, even if it isn't the optimized choice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Yes, but its +1 after 4 lvls if you put 2 points into Int. I was just wondering if that is really all that important considering you also get a +1 proficiency bonus the very next level, when I could instead with this build for example, boost my con save by +1 and get proficiency in con saves. Or boost my will save and get an extra cleric spell I can prepare, while snagging that sweet bonus to passive perception and investigation checks...

It just seems a lot you can get with the right feats...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Sure. Or, if Con saves in particular weren't a big thing in your game, just use the ASI to get +1Con/+1 Wis and get all your stats to even, and do so quickly.

There's no one right answer. 5e, much more than 3e, is set up to make you feel like these are hard decisions and 'if I only had one ASI more...', etc.

I frankly might take the +1 Con/+1Wis, simply for the immediate benefit. That's +1 to two important saves, +1 hp/level, +1 to important skills, and the benefit to cleric spells.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yes, but its +1 after 4 lvls if you put 2 points into Int. I was just wondering if that is really all that important considering you also get a +1 proficiency bonus the very next level, when I could instead with this build for example, boost my con save by +1 and get proficiency in con saves. Or boost my will save and get an extra cleric spell I can prepare, while snagging that sweet bonus to passive perception and investigation checks...

It just seems a lot you can get with the right feats...
    I prefer the extra inteligence since i want to be proactive in combat and i trust my group to make up for my characters shortcommings. The other thing i would consider is alert since it's really nice to get a good spell to stick first thing in a battle.

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGuy

Because you are giving up quite a lot of power for it. Sure, you can once per rest get a proficiency bonus at any skill check for ten minutes, but the build already picks up a ton of skills, most notably perception and investigation, quite possibly the most important skills in the game and something you cant really use knowledge of the ages for when it comes to random, passive checks. On the other hand, you push your wizard spell levels back another notch (so no third lvl arcane spells until you are caster lvl 7!), no attribute bonus/feat until lvl 6 etc, and in fact you lose a feat entirely presuming you make it to lvl 20.

To me, that just looks lack-luster, especially as I want to start digging into the arcane bag asap. This is a wizard build, after all.
    I mean, it's not like you can't learn higher level wizard spells though. You can still scribe them into your spellbook and, IIRC (I don't remember his exact reasoning), you can still cast them as rituals as long as they're in your spellbook. To me, that ability to on-the-fly grab any skill or proficiency you need for 10 minutes is worth that delay for that exact reasoning. You _don't_ lose access to higher level spells known.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I mean, it's not like you can't learn higher level wizard spells though. You can still scribe them into your spellbook and, IIRC (I don't remember his exact reasoning), you can still cast them as rituals as long as they're in your spellbook. To me, that ability to on-the-fly grab any skill or proficiency you need for 10 minutes is worth that delay for that exact reasoning. You _don't_ lose access to higher level spells known.
    Huh. I wouldn't have thought it would work that way, but it looks like it might technically work RAW.

"When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it."

The Wizard class text on preparing spells only talks about your wizard level in terms of the number of prepared spells, and says "The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

The paragraph that refers to the free spells you learn as you level instead says "Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table." So it looks like while you're limited to learn only appropriate level spells the next time you add a wizard level, you could prepare a higher level spell if you have the slots from the multiclass spellcaster table and it's in your spellbook. And since you can prepare it, you can add it to your spellbook if you come across a scroll.

The specific example used to illustrate that you can only use the higher level multiclass slots to upcast shows a ranger 4/wizard 3 as an example of a character that has 3rd level slots but no 3rd level spells. Notably, it explicitly says that the character's wizard spellbook contains ten spells, two of which can be second level, so no additional spells have been scribed.

I suspect that the intent of the Wizard prepared spells restriction is to apply the same kind of limit the free learned spells have, and I'm still not sure if I'd allow scribing higher level spells. On the other hand, I suppose you can't scribe them anyway unless the DM makes the scroll available to you.

edit: It occurs to me that it could come up without the DM giving access to the spell if there was someone else in the party with more wizard levels who would let you copy from their spellbook. It would still seem really weird to me to have someone with one or two wizard levels able to cast something like Disintegrate or Simulacrum.
    Last edited by DerficusRex; 2018-07-14 at 12:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DerficusRex View Post
    Huh. I wouldn't have thought it would work that way, but it looks like it might technically work RAW.

"When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it."

The Wizard class text on preparing spells only talks about your wizard level in terms of the number of prepared spells, and says "The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

The paragraph that refers to the free spells you learn as you level instead says "Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table." So it looks like while you're limited to learn only appropriate level spells the next time you add a wizard level, you could prepare a higher level spell if you have the slots from the multiclass spellcaster table and it's in your spellbook. And since you can prepare it, you can add it to your spellbook if you come across a scroll.

The specific example used to illustrate that you can only use the higher level multiclass slots to upcast shows a ranger 4/wizard 3 as an example of a character that has 3rd level slots but no 3rd level spells. Notably, it explicitly says that the character's wizard spellbook contains ten spells, two of which can be second level, so no additional spells have been scribed.

I suspect that the intent of the Wizard prepared spells restriction is to apply the same kind of limit the free learned spells have, and I'm still not sure if I'd allow scribing higher level spells. On the other hand, I suppose you can't scribe them anyway unless the DM makes the scroll available to you.

edit: It occurs to me that it could come up without the DM giving access to the spell if there was someone else in the party with more wizard levels who would let you copy from their spellbook. It would still seem really weird to me to have someone with one or two wizard levels able to cast something like Disintegrate or Simulacrum.
    Thank you, this was the exact cheese he pulled. So again, because of this, the only thing you really lose is a feat and I honestly believe that the Knowledge cleric's Channel Divinity is worth it. Again, YMMV though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

It's kind of amazing how you can take my entire response, ignore every one of my points, and slip in an argument I don't even touch on. As it is, you are wrong. From the PHB on multiclassing:

You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class. If you are a ranger 4/wizard 3, for example, you know three 1st-level ranger spells based on your levels in the ranger class. As 3rd-level wizard, you know three wizard cantrips, and your spellbook contains ten wizard spells, two of which (the two you gained when you reached 3rd level as a wizard) can be 2nd-level spells. If your Intelligence is 16, you can prepare six wizard spells from your spellbook.

Each spell you know and prepare is associated with one of your classes, and you use the spellcasting ability of that class when you cast the spell. Similarly, a spellcasting focus, such as a holy symbol, can be used only for the spells from the class associated with that focus.

Spell Slots. You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels in the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes, and half your levels (rounded down) in the paladin and ranger classes. Use this total to determine your spell slots by consulting the Multiclass Spellcaster table.

If you have more than one spellcasting class, this table might give you spell slots of a level that is higher than the spells you know or can prepare. You can use those slots, but only to cast your lower-level spells. If a lower-level spell that you cast, like burning hands, has an enhanced effect when cast using a higher-level slot, you can use the enhanced effect, even though you don’t have any spells of that higher level.

Underlined for emphasis. You can only learn and prepare spells for each of your classes as if you were single-classed. You can only use higher lvl spell slots, should you have any, for those lower level spells. And even if your DM is braindead and lets you break the obvious intent of the game (what you are describing is essentially a gestalt character, COME ON), you would still have the issue of being restricted to rituals.

You dont get a feat or an attribute bonus for one more level, so two levels behind the single-classed party members. Your spell circle access IS delayed yet another level. At character lvl 4, you would be casting a bunch of lvl one spells (albeit with the ability to boost them to lvl two power if allowed by the spell)! You should be casting lvl 3 spells at CL 5, but you will have just got your first lvl 2 spells. Forget about losing a feat at lvl 20, this kind of stuff is a major issue in the early game and you should really be asking yourself if, at that point in the game, getting a +2 to any untrained skill (for a character that already has proficiency in seven skills) for ten minutes a rest is really worth it.

You also might want to take note of Treant's guide to wizards... he specifically highlights Cleric 1 as a dip, as opposed to for example Fighter 2. Apparently he doesn't think any of the 2nd level cleric ASIs are worth losing another wizard level. Food for thought.
    Last edited by Caesar; 2018-07-14 at 01:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Underlined for emphasis. You can only learn and prepare spells for each of your classes as if you were single-classed.
    Well, he did say it was cheese. :)

The key point that his brother's character is (ab)using is that the language in the Wizard class for what you "can prepare" only says it has to be of a level "for which you have spell slots." See my post above for full cheesy details.

I agree that this isn't likely how the rule was intended to be interpreted, and I wouldn't build a character based on it.

21. - Top - End - #21

ClericGuy

I dunno; guides are kinda limiting and do take RAI into consideration. I'm looking at a RAW trick you could pull; if you're not interested in the trick described above, that's cool. Just pointing out an option for you. 😄

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Technically the Knowledge Domain skills you choose to gain and get Expertise in don't let you choose another skill to replace it if you already get a fixed skill from another source. Unlike the background skills, which have an out to allow you to replace them if they overlap a racial skill.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Every time I consider the Knowledge dip for a Wizard I end up referring to an Arcana Domain dip instead. You lose that expertise, but Detect Magic & Magic Missile are the perfect attribute-agnostic spells to always have prepared, whereas Command & Identify I find lacking. You also get to pick up some of the Wizard utility cantrips, from which - I believe - you'll get more mileage than additional languages and ludicrous Knowledge checks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Technically the Knowledge Domain skills you choose to gain and get Expertise in don't let you choose another skill to replace it if you already get a fixed skill from another source. Unlike the background skills, which have an out to allow you to replace them if they overlap a racial skill.
    I replaced the background skills not the domain.

Went through and realized medicine is a waste. Took Spare the Dying as a cantrip and switched medicine for history as my cleric skill. Then I switched history for stealth in my background. Yes. So sage gives me stealth and investigation, and in my back story I pick up sage after becoming a knowledge cleric and spend my time sneaking around looking for books in the monastery before eventually leaving to pursue more arcane knowledge.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I replaced the background skills not the domain.
    You only get to do that if it overlaps another skill. Which means racial, since class skills are chosen, not fixed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Before people go hammer and tongs on this, can someone near their book give the exact wording?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Before people go hammer and tongs on this, can someone near their book give the exact wording?
    From the section on backgrounds:

Proficiencies
    Each background gives a character proficiency in two skills (described in “Using Ability Scores”). In addition, most backgrounds give a character proficiency with one or more tools (detailed in “Equipment”).

If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead.
    Nowhere does it say anything about being limited to race (or even needing to be a background despite being found in that section), or having anything to do with if you could choose another skill or not. And furthermore, doing this doesn't change the number of skills available to a character, so if people are going to argue that being able to choose skill X instead of skill Y is OP, when any character is free to choose any background in the first place, well, that's a pretty weak starting point. Doubly so when you get to this section:

Customizing a Background
    You might want to tweak some of the features of a background so it better fits your character or the campaign setting. To customize a background, you can replace one feature with any other one, choose any two skills, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or languages from the sample backgrounds. You can either use the equipment package from your background or spend coin on gear as described in the equipment section. (If you spend coin, you can’t also take the equipment package suggested for your class.) Finally, choose two personality traits, one ideal, one bond, and one flaw. If you can’t find a feature that matches your desired background, work with your GM to create one.
    Considering Sage doesn't even get a tool proficiency, guess I ought to just make my own custom background and get two tool proficiencies on top of any two skills and two languages, while I am at it....
    Last edited by Caesar; 2018-07-18 at 02:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Considering Sage doesn't even get a tool proficiency, guess I ought to just make my own custom background and get two tool proficiencies on top of any two skills and two languages, while I am at it....
    You should certainly customize. I always thought that the ones in the book were... well some pretty obvious first things you'd think of, but still really limited.

As to taking tools over languages, normally I'd say diversify, but thematically having this guy know all the languages, but have few non-knowledge-based real world skills almost fits ("no he can't drive a cart or make a pot, he spent literally all. his. time. with his nose in a book!").