Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1128 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by talkamancer View Post
    Come on Mr.Scruffy, you can do it.
    Yeah, he's got this

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sigdi's friends. The ones who have strong feelings about her paying back debts.
    Good catch!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curupira View Post
    *her. Minrah was a female dwarf.
    That is a typo that I did not pick up.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Durkula's reaction to Sigdi's choice is a delayed echo to Belkar's obvious shaken, subdued state after witnessing Durkon's sacrifice. Even after all of that character development, Belkar had a lot of monster in him, and Durkon's actions blew through all of that and reached that deeply hidden part of him that was still recognizably "human." It looks like we're about to see a similar moment for something that--at least to all appearances up to now--is as much an unalloyed monster as Xykon, if not more so.

I have a feeling that Sigdi has been offered Regeneration at least once by now--by grateful friends, or perhaps even as an inducement to take up a new job--and has refused it. It might be that she really was waiting for Durkon to be able to cast it--meaning that doing so after his exile would just be a painful reminder of losing him--or she has chosen to embrace the injury in memory of her dead husband. No direct evidence--I just find it hard to believe that the dwarven community would pass up the chance to make a paragon of the community whole and available to serve in a role that would not doom her to Hel's clutches.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Sigdi is a true altruist. And that’s a moving memory. The comic is also really well laid out, keeping the tension between the two points. The baby’s sad face at the end though.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #275

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Panel 2; Roy heals himself COMPLETELY.
    Given daggers low damage output, and that Elan didn't get his Dashing Swordsman bonus (no puns), i expect he is not too badly hurt. (of course, what I know of the rules i learned playing Baldur's hate...)

Prediction: Roy is good at tactics. Now he tries to lure the vampires out from the anti-life shell, using himself as bait.
    If his prestige class involves full heal with his weapon, that's pretty darn powerful.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ok... maybe it was discussed before, but I'm puzzled by Roy's repeated hope for V to dispel the domination. Vampire's Dominate is a Supernatural ability, and as such is immune to dispel magic. Maybe Roy does not know? Maybe different houserule in OOTSverse? Anybody has another idea?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Holy crap this battle has been intense.

Spoiler: Origin of the PCs
    Show
    Not sure if this was mentioned since I'm not scouring ten pages, but I love the sense of irony I now feel about that Minrah's death (crushed) compared to The Origin of the PCs where doing the same thing to Durkon was treated as more of a practical joke ("haha, he's boring and he heals").

Also, Minrah's death hits me in the feels. I've been That Cleric before.
    Last edited by Going Hereward; 2018-07-19 at 07:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    If his prestige class involves full heal with his weapon, that's pretty darn powerful.
    It is his sword, not his class levels, that provides the power to heal him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Colossus in the Playground

Roy has no prestige class. He's a single-classed fighter.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

This this is the stuff that makes me keep reading this comic.

I believe now it's pretty obvious what's going to happen but the build-up was great.

The Order is down for the count, but Durkon may've just managed to give a new view on (un)life to his vampire counterpart, about altruism and helping people you never saw before at great personal expense. So vampire Durkon will start having second thoughts about the whole "destroy the world" thingy.

Also damn Roy's a badass combat machine, he just solo'd half the Order himself while being harassed by vampire dwarves all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Ok... maybe it was discussed before, but I'm puzzled by Roy's repeated hope for V to dispel the domination. Vampire's Dominate is a Supernatural ability, and as such is immune to dispel magic. Maybe Roy does not know? Maybe different houserule in OOTSverse? Anybody has another idea?

Well he is a fighter that dropped off wizard college, so it makes sense his knowledge skills and spellcraft wouldn't be very good.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-07-19 at 07:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I disagree with you, Harbinger. If Durkon keeps showing Greg/Durkula his memories in a vain attempt to save his child, he is establishing character even if he fails. It has established the character of his own mother as well. Durkula on the other hand, is a character...But not a human one, if you'll pardon my Gnomish. He is a literal embodiment of evil, incapable of love or compassion. His actions can fail just like the actions of the Sapphire Guard, but that doesn't mean they mean nothing. They mean defeat and bravery in the face of overwhelming odds.

Would the comic have been complete without Durkon's last attempt to save his only son, who is a babe in arms? I would argue no, even if it ends in failure, at least we know what Durkon tried to do in that desperate moment.

That, and I'd rather not have the unholy spirit learn the true meaning of friendship in a contrived way. If Durkula is moved by this memory, I am sure that the Giant has something up his sleeve, but this isn't the Carebears.
    I feel like you’ve misunderstood me. If the dwarf squad showed up right now, that wouldn’t be Durkon trying and failing to save his child. That would just be someone else doing something to save the day. Showing the vampire the memory wouldn’t matter one way or the other. Durkon gains nothing by the vampire having seen it. I would be absolutely fine if Durkon tried to use his memory to turn the tide and ultimately failed.

I’m also not suggesting that the vampire would suddenly become Good, or even stop being Evil. A change of heart could mean many things. I also feel that from a thematic standpoint the idea of an “Always Evil” creature doesn’t belong in this comic, regardless of what D&D rules say. The Giant has always seemed fairly repulsed morally with the idea of a creature that is evil by birth and can’t change, and tbh so am I. We even have evidence that “Always Evil” creatures in this comic are capable of love and compassion. For example, Malack’s friendship with Tarquin and Durkon, and Sabine’s love for Nale. I know, I know, Evil people having loved ones doesn’t make them Good, but it shows that they are at the very least capable of Good actions and feelings.

I doubt a change in Durkula will occur all at once, but I do think that the memory will affect him in some way that makes him inclined to spare the party, at least right now.
    An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    One could argue that a tough vamp (or even coven of tough vamps) with a fancy staff and *plans* to bring destruction to the dwarven homeland does not meet the needs of prophecy fulfillment. The vamp/vamps would actually need to bring about the destruction and death for everyone.
    Prophecy by its nature is both vaguely worded and will have definite terms of fulfillment. My interpretation is that the prophecy has been fulfilled as I described. Whether someone could argue otherwise doesn't have bearing on my opinion; an actual argument for the case might, but the rest of your post seems to rest on the assumption that another interpretation is true, rather than being an argument that another interpretation is true.

I mean, if you just wanted to speculate on ways the prophecy might be fulfilled under the assumption it hasn't yet, go ahead, but I'm not sure why you quoted me if that's the case.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2018-07-19 at 07:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283

(David Letterman smile and wave)

"Good night! Drive home safely!"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Showing the vampire the memory wouldn’t matter one way or the other. Durkon gains nothing by the vampire having seen it. I would be absolutely fine if Durkon tried to use his memory to turn the tide and ultimately failed.
    This is what is confusing me. Having the vision have no effect is a failure, but would establish the character of Durkon, and the character that made Durkon who he is. So how is it not narratively important, even if Durkula is unaffected?

I’m also not suggesting that the vampire would suddenly become Good, or even stop being Evil. A change of heart could mean many things.
    I'll agree to this point and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route the Giant chooses to take.

I also feel that from a thematic standpoint the idea of an “Always Evil” creature doesn’t belong in this comic, regardless of what D&D rules say.The Giant has always seemed fairly repulsed morally with the idea of a creature that is evil by birth and can’t change, and tbh so am I.
    True, and you are not wrong about 'always evil' races being a little weird, but...A vampire isn't born. It's an evil spirit, so it's a little harder to really give it morality or choice because it is so different from what people are.

We even have evidence that “Always Evil” creatures in this comic are capable of love and compassion. For example, Malack’s friendship with Tarquin and Durkon, and Sabine’s love for Nale. I know, I know, Evil people having loved ones doesn’t make them Good, but it shows that they are at the very least capable of Good actions and feelings.
    This is what I disagree with. Malack enjoyed Tarquinn's company and was willing to waste resources on it, but it doesn't show that he cared for Tarquinn in any way. Malack killed Durkon and warped him into an abomination Durkon would have hated, in complete disregard for everything Durkon stood for. Is that love, or compassion or anything positive, or a murder attempting to justify their actions by pretending they are doing it out of kindness?

Nale and Sabine don't seem to have much of a relationship outside of banging. That's not a comment regarding the morality of those happily banging away, but enjoying an activity together doesn't imply love. Remember that Sabine happily had sex with several denizens of the lower planes, to the surprise of Nale. Clearly these two aren't doing too good at communication, and their relationship might only be working because of blood sacrifice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Break Enchantment still works, IIRC.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #286
    Bugbear in the Playground

Re: Evil and love, having loved ones isn't exclusive to good people, and you can certainly be evil and still have people you love, as has already been shown in this comic.

Nale and Sabine for one (certainly on Sabine's end, most likely Nale's as well), and have people forgotten the Black Dragon? She was most certainly evil, but the love her son (and husband) and mourning and distress over his lose was portrayed as entirely sincere.

Being capable of love in itself is not a redeeming quality, and its' a mistake to treat it as if it is. So while I can understand why the people arguing against a change of heart are doing so, I also have to say that claiming Nale and Sabine didn't actually love each other is ignoring what was shown and stating multiple times in the comic.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-07-19 at 08:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

This is what I disagree with. Malack enjoyed Tarquinn's company and was willing to waste resources on it, but it doesn't show that he cared for Tarquinn in any way. Malack killed Durkon and warped him into an abomination Durkon would have hated, in complete disregard for everything Durkon stood for. Is that love, or compassion or anything positive, or a murder attempting to justify their actions by pretending they are doing it out of kindness?

Nale and Sabine don't seem to have much of a relationship outside of banging. That's not a comment regarding the morality of those happily banging away, but enjoying an activity together doesn't imply love. Remember that Sabine happily had sex with several denizens of the lower planes, to the surprise of Nale. Clearly these two aren't doing too good at communication, and their relationship might only be working because of blood sacrifice.
    Malack tried to "reason" with Durkon before engaging combat. He also decided to follow Durkon´s last request. He didnt tell Nale about the Order hiding behind the illusory wall even though he had nothing to gain from helping them. He even comments about how he cannot shield them forever before letting vampire Durkon sent his fiend. I wont say he was a good person but it is obvious he cared about the Durkon that was in his own way.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

18. - Top - End - #288

I believe there's a subtle semantic difference between "bring death and destruction for us all" and "bring death and destruction to us all". The first implies intent, but only the second suggests it definitely succeeded. Seems like just the sort of twist these things usually rely on.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm thinking Hel's plan qualifies as fulfilling the exact wording of the prophdcy.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

That. Hurt.

Thank you, Giant. Needed that today.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Sabine cares enough about Nale that not only she keep coming back for him and supporting the secondary villain despite his constant failures, she also was seriously pissed off after he was killed to the point she started to actually help V against her own bosses.

That's the difference, Sabine may bang others in a fancy, but Nale was the one she kept returning to and sharing adventures with at the end of the day.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm thinking the young priestess who raised Sigdi's friends back then eventually became the current High Priestess of Thor, anyone with me?
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

23. - Top - End - #293

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    I'm thinking the young priestess who raised Sigdi's friends back then eventually became the current High Priestess of Thor, anyone with me?
    Given that she was at least ninth level (and possibly higher, if she was casting all of those Raise Dead spells without assistance) almost sixty years ago, it's a pretty decent guess.
    Sudden thought after watching an old "Lois and Clark" episode: Lane Davies aka Tempus is probably the best possible choice to portray an animated or live action Xykon if either of those ever becomes reality--he was born in 1950 and Tempus' personality is a close match for pre-lich Xykon IMO. Just my two cents.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Given that she was at least ninth level (and possibly higher, if she was casting all of those Raise Dead spells without assistance) almost sixty years ago, it's a pretty decent guess.
    I'll have to look again. I thought there were at least two priests involved.

25. - Top - End - #295

NecromancerGirl

This is the first update in a while to surprise me - with Minrah's death. I knew it was a possibility, but I wasn't expecting her to die so ignominiously. She hasn't just been killed, she's been Kilkil'd: come and gone without doing anything of note. Quite a sad, senseless death, in the end...
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

26. - Top - End - #296

Uh, no. The current high priestess of Thor doesn't look anything like the priestess here. There's a cleric here who does look like the high priestess.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the key point is that the "evil" races are disadvantaged, not malicious. They have compassion and care about each other. The whole point of this scene is that this monster DOESN'T understand compassion, because unlike the genuinely disenfranchised goblinfolk Durkula is just a bastard.

Besides this: while Rich's themes very frequently deal with redemption of evil, one of the central points is that evil is DIFFICULT to redeem.

It took hundreds and hundreds of strips AND an outright curse for Belkar, a mortal who travels in the company of good creatures, to learn the virtue of compassion. It took V causing actual genocide and being rejected by the people he loved to overcome his arrogance. And then there's Elan's father--a man whom even the idealistic Elan acknowledges is so intractably corrupt that the idea of him reforming is enough to break him from an otherwise flawless masterclass illusion. That's the author saying that evil people don't become good overnight. It takes more than a willing teacher and a well-chosen lesson to redeem a monster.

Durkon's a compassionate and idealistic soul, but--much more so than Elan--he's not dumb. Standing on the edge of oblivion, he won't preach compassion to a monster that only moments before carelessly threatened an infant in the pursuit of its amoral goal. There's no arc that would cause this thing, which has thus far been entirely alien, vile, and predatory, to suddenly grow a conscience. That's something that's been given to every other evil character redeemed thus far.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't actually think Durkula is a incapable of understanding compassion. Partially because Roy pointed out that vampires are free willed intelligent creatures capable of changing but also because of this quote from the Giant from the 'Orcs are people, too!' thread.

"There are no fantasy worlds. There are no orcs. They don't exist. All that exists is a bunch of humans writing stories to each other about how cool it would be if we could finally let loose and stab some folks that looked different without having to worry about boring stuff like their inalienable rights. I happen to think that maybe we should be a bit better than that.

If nothing else, it would increase the overall quality of the genre's storytelling if every antagonist needed to actually have a reason for deserving death."

Rich seems to have a very real issue with races and characters that can be killed freely. So I have a hard time believing that he would write vampires as monsters incapable compassion. That smacks too much of creating an easy target that you can kill guilt free.

On the matter of evil people not becoming good over night I'm actually in complete agreement. I am not expecting Durkula to suddenly become good. I expecting something along the lines of a moment of hesitation as he tries to reconcile Sigdi actions with his own outlook. Just enough for Scruffy, a possum playing Roy, or maybe even Kudzu to do something to mess things up. A real change of heart, like you said, will take a lot of time and a long arc. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the series ends without resolving said character arc. Perhaps in the end Durkula will do exactly what Roy suggested and tell Hel to go to her self so he can wander Tarturus and find himself. Not a real change of heart but the beginnings of one. And one that may not even come to fruition. I have a hard time reconciling Durkula as a irredeemable monster with both the words of Rich and the words of Roy.

Also stepping out of the meta-narrative, out of universe speculation. Durkula seems genuinely shook by what Durkon just showed him. He's not enjoying his victory like his subordinates. He's just staring. And in his head he's spouting questions. Not at Durkon, just to himself. As Durkon watches with no visible reaction, just "..." . It's almost like this was his plan.
    And even putting all that I aside, I can't think of any other angle Durkon might be working with this story. It certainly doesn't seem to be misleading. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Unfortunately, from things he's said I suspect Rich makes an exception for "unnatural" creatures. Not as far as "they have to be inherently evil," but at least as far as "I don't mind if I'm portraying them as inherently evil."

29. - Top - End - #299

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    This is the first update in a while to surprise me - with Minrah's death. I knew it was a possibility, but I wasn't expecting her to die so ignominiously. She hasn't just been killed, she's been Kilkil'd: come and gone without doing anything of note. Quite a sad, senseless death, in the end...
    Eh Durkon hasn't killed all the clerics yet so she still has a chance.

Interesting Memory so it seems Durkon must provide the Memories but doesn't have to provide context.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: OOTS #1128 - The Discussion Thread

What if durkon/greg's father was the troll and had regeneration, that would mean he wasn't a dwarf but that he may still be alive.

The mining gas leak may have been them searching for bodies in the previous scuffle.

Remember the tale told of the troll and sappers was officially a variation of the truth, it even states so just before the retelling hence the crayon recall of events.

The recent troll/father/injury quote from Sigdi is enough to spot the mention of troll and father in the same sentence...
    Last edited by Coolio Wolfus; 2018-07-19 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Woot thread post #300 - Fixed post typo.

Spoiler: I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger/Wizard (3rd/2nd Level)
    Show
    Code:
    Ability Scores:   Information:
    Strength     14   Alignment Lawful Good
    Dexterity    15   Race      Human
    Constitution 13
    Intelligence 14   Class:
    Wisdom       17   Primary   Ranger
    Charisma     11   Secondary Wizard