New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Earthlings In A The World of magic [IC]

During one of their many hiking trips, Thomas and Lenore find themselves locked in the tent at night. Strong winds and storm outside. Udenenly a loud roar. "I HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR TRICKS" and suddenly earth underneath them shakes, trambles and crumbles with a grind of deafening magnitude. Shortly after noises of a sci-fi fazer and suddenly nothing. Not then the storm, or any nature noises for that matter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Earthlings In A The World of magic [IC]

Thomas Foster had always enjoyed camping, it was nice to get away from everything for a few days and get some cleaner air. People could at least pretend to be self-sufficient as they cooked mass-produced bacon over a fire. It was an illusion, but one he enjoyed nonetheless. He used his camping knife to whittle away at a stick with no real plans of a design, but just to occupy his hands while he enjoyed the scenery.

When Thomas had spotted the storm was approaching as night fell, he'd smiled. He always slept better during a storm. The sound of wind and rain lulled him to sleep better than any lullaby.

When he'd heard that wrathful voice, he began to regret not going to his father's services more.

In the deafening silence after the roar, Thomas scrambled to put on his jacket and thick pants before grabbing his knife and slowly opening the door of the tent, just enough to peek out the opening.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no burst of cold air as he may expect, in fact, the temperature doesn't feel any different than one inside the tent. Looking outside, there is a lot of rock and stone flying around but not any closer to the tent. Behind that, a static image similar to colourized space. The tent itself is still holding on a patch of dirt.

Spoiler: Background image
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Greenflame133; 2019-05-03 at 10:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Lenore stuck her head outside and gasped.

"Thomas... what the ****?"
    Last edited by Rokku; 2019-05-05 at 06:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

"WHAT THE HOLY HELL-!?" Thomas falls back, nearly taking Lenore with him as the deepest parts of his mind protested what he could see. 'That's open space. We can't be in space.' He stares at the opening in the tent door, trying and failing to process the view in front of him.

Lenore stuck her head outside and gasped.

"Thomas... what the ****?"
    Thomas's mind is brought back to the moment by Lenore's voice. "Guh-! I-I-I... I don't ****ing know!" His mind scrambles for any sort of explanation and latches on to the first thing to stick in his brain. Setting his knife to the side of where he now sat, still sheathed because he isn't stupid and didn't want to accidently cut someone, he does what any sane person would in this situation and slaps himself in the face to wake up from what is obviously a dream.

After that presumably doesn't work, he glances around the tent for something small and replace-able before reaching into his clothes bag, grabbing a balled-up dirty sock and throwing it out of the tent, into the seeming emptiness of space.
    Last edited by czieg; 2019-05-07 at 10:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lenore slowly exhales.

"Okay so I'm not the only one seeing the swirling void of the endless cosmos then. Cool. Not going insane. Or at least, not going insane alone."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sock goes as normal for about a metter, then it takes sharp turn joining rocks and snow orbiting your tent.

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

"No, I see that too." Thomas climbs to his feet, scooping up his knife as he does. "I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm pretty sure that gravity doesn't work like that." He attaches the sheath to his belt.

Stepping carefully, he moves up to the tent door and fully unzips it. He pauses there for a moment, peering around. "Hello? Anyone there?" He has one hand near his knife as he leans out, not stepping out of the tent, but poking his head out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no response, not even an echo. While moving around the tent, everything feels just like on earth.

10. - Top - End - #10

PaladinGuy

"Okay... um... now what?" Thomas looks around the tent and starts making a mental count of things they had with them

'Alright we have food for a few days, but it needs to be cooked and we don't have fuel for a fire. We have water, and we have shelter, albeit in space.' Thomas pulls out his phone and turns it on, having left it off most of the time they were camping. Maybe space had cell service?

Seeing no other option and balking at the idea of starving to death inside the tent, Thomas tries to step out of the tent, but still on solid ground.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no service. After stepping outside, all feels normal. If she closes his eyes there is no signe he is space.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lenore climbs out of the tent and stares up at the... well, "sky" wasn't quite the right word.

"Maybe we accidentally passed through some hallucinogenic plants yesterday," she suggests.

13. - Top - End - #13

PaladinGuy

"I don't think hallucinogens work like that. I don't think you see the same stuff as other people do." He takes in a deep breath, then lets it out. "You know, I think I might be back on the insanity theory, because all I can think of is it'd be really funny to pee off into space, but I don't want my pee to get caught in orbit like my sock." Thomas sits down and stretches his legs forward so his feet just peeked over the edge of the dirt island.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Was they stand there talking an unfamiliar croak can be heard. Looking towards the orgine of you can see a bat like creature with strong arms and claws. Jump between the rocks and digging in the snow.

15. - Top - End - #15

PaladinGuy

"****!" Thomas scrambles to his feet and tries to pull Lenore back into the tent. "What is that?!" His voice is a harsh whisper, trying not to draw the thing's attention.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"I neither know nor want to know," whispers Lenore, "lets just stay very quiet and very still and hope it goes away."

17. - Top - End - #17

"Hey, keep it quiet! Some of us are trying to sleep here!"

Jacob's sleepy voice emerges from the tent, closely followed by Jacob's head and arms. "Huh. Never mind, I guess I'm still dreaming after all."
    Last edited by pi4t; 2019-05-15 at 10:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I was waiting on a response from Rokku in regards to whether Lenore was moving, but in the interest of moving things forward...

Thomas jumps slightly at the sound of Jacob's voice and he turns towards him from where he's currently crouched while still keeping the creature in his peripherial vision. "Nope, we're awake or having the same hallucination." Thomas glances back at the thing nervously. "I think it'd be best if you got in your wheelchair, I'd help but I'm the only one with a weapon and I'd prefer to keep an eye on whatever that is."
    There is a time for metaphysical experimentation, and there is a time for doomlasers and face-punching. Do you know what time it is? -Pax Empyrean, Spacebattles

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Creature end up not paying much mind to the tent, it digs up something in the snow and you lose sight of it shortly after. When it was dug up in the air above rocks not moving relative to the rock it was originally on.