New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) Calm Before The Storm

Markas was somewhat surprised to hear his name mentioned by this woman and wondered how she knew it. Markas stepped forward to do the usual pleasantries, bowing as a greeting, before opening his mouth to speak "I was not aware that I was personally known to the Phylund Lodge. May ask your name so I can address you properly?"
    "Trois choses ne peuvent pas être cachées ... le soleil, la lune, la vérité"

Currently Playing - The Calm Before the Storm - OOC | IC
    Former Games - The Forbidden Land of Sundara: BROKEN SUN- OOC | IC
    The Forbidden Land of Sundara: INSURGENCY- OOC III | IC III

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dwarf in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ - Far Traveler, Investigator, Seeker of Mystery and Keeper of Many faces

ΧΞЯΦ turnes to the guard,

'Thank you for your assistance', they say quietly as to not interrupt the other conversation, and nods politely.

3. - Top - End - #483

Planetar

Rook Shekten - Recently Sober, Former City Guardsman

It had been a while since Rook had laid eyes on an elven structure. Not since before the attack. As they are led through the lodge he remembers exciting times with Drezlin delving into the Ardeep Forest and the Ruins there. He tenses and his eyes dart back and forth between the elf maiden and Markas when she addresses him by name.
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Kriv silently steps at Rook's side leaning on his polearm. Maybe the presence of an unsheated weapon eases Rook's fears a bit. The dragonborn may not be able to ease the scarred human's fears but he might offer a sense of protection for now. A low growl of nervousness can be heard of no one but Rook, not to show unease but rather to ensure Rook he can use his supernatural draconic abilities at a moment's notice, putting a bit of fear into any attacking guards.

As Markas starts to talk, Kriv steps forward, to make clear to the guards that he towers about two feet over their heads.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alias_Trench View Post
    Markas was somewhat surprised to hear his name mentioned by this woman and wondered how she knew it. Markas stepped forward to do the usual pleasantries, bowing as a greeting, before opening his mouth to speak "I was not aware that I was personally known to the Phylund Lodge. May ask your name so I can address you properly?"
    "I'm Gwyndolyn, my lord's aide, and part of my job is keeping him informed of...developments involving the Ardeep elves. I would assume you are here as part of your own duties to inform us of some such development?"

Quote Originally Posted by Terrastormer View Post

ΧΞЯΦ turnes to the guard,

'Thank you for your assistance', they say quietly as to not interrupt the other conversation, and nods politely.
    He nods curtly, but doesn't reply.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #486

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "I'm Gwyndolyn, my lord's aide, and part of my job is keeping him informed of...developments involving the Ardeep elves. I would assume you are here as part of your own duties to inform us of some such development?"
    Markas nodded in understanding,
    "Pleased to make your acquaintance Gwyndolyn, and your assumption is correct. There's been bandit activity that has affected the town of Nightstone and through our investigations, including information from captured bandits, they're apparently making their base of operations in caves near your lord's grounds. We came to inform you on the off chance you were not aware already, and to ask for assistance in routing the bandits and recovering the goods that they stole from the town of Nightstone. Will the lord be out hunting long?"

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Markas nodded in understanding,
    "Pleased to make your acquaintance Gwyndolyn, and your assumption is correct. There's been bandit activity that has affected the town of Nightstone and through our investigations, including information from captured bandits, they're apparently making their base of operations in caves near your lord's grounds. We came to inform you on the off chance you were not aware already, and to ask for assistance in routing the bandits and recovering the goods that they stole from the town of Nightstone. Will the lord be out hunting long?"
    "Hmm...I see. Not too long, he'll be back in a few days time perhaps - heard rumors of dire wolves or some such, was quite interested in finding the pack from what he was talking about," she says, sorting through some files as she talks. She glances at Rook and Kriv oddly for a moment, before continuing. "He might be willing to lend you a few men to aid in your task, but it's also possible he'll be more keen on locking things down around here until the threat is dealt with...but even that would have to wait until he's returned to assess the situation. Beyond that, while I can offer you some hospitality while you're here, I'd prefer not to volunteer assets without approval. I hope you'll understand."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "Hmm...I see. Not too long, he'll be back in a few days time perhaps - heard rumors of dire wolves or some such, was quite interested in finding the pack from what he was talking about," she says, sorting through some files as she talks. She glances at Rook and Kriv oddly for a moment, before continuing. "He might be willing to lend you a few men to aid in your task, but it's also possible he'll be more keen on locking things down around here until the threat is dealt with...but even that would have to wait until he's returned to assess the situation. Beyond that, while I can offer you some hospitality while you're here, I'd prefer not to volunteer assets without approval. I hope you'll understand."
    ΧΞЯΦ, makes a sound as if clearing their throat,

'Lady Gwyndolyn, my name is ΧΞЯΦ and I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, but I'm afraid time is of the essence in regards to the problem at at hand. As much as we would appreciate the aid of some of the skilled hunters or guards of the lodge we would prefer not to put them in harms way and I believe information would be more valuable to us at this point. Do you know of anything that might aid us and give us a strategic advantage, such as maps or knowledge of the area?'
    Last edited by Terrastormer; 2019-02-08 at 03:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

After just a short exchange, Kriv pipes up: Okay, listen here, Missy. We just fought what can only be described as extraplanar construct wolves the size of houses, and we just BARELY survived. If used as siege weapons or similar, these things would likely tear your little fort down, so hiding in your little lodge here won't help you. We are fighting several very dangerous bandit wizards, and chances are if we fall in our attempts to stop them, they can and will take care of anything close to their base. One of them got away so time is not on our side anymore.

Kriv slams his polearm into the ground to underline his statement. Give us a guide towards the nearest waterfall, or have fun dying. I can just repeat myself: giant construct wolves. If the Red Wizards of Thay would have stuff like that, you would bow immediately and send a runner to Waterdeep, but no, because its unknown forces with vast magical powers, it can wait until the Lord returns from his frolick in the field? You are a fool, if you believe so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Performing Intimi-suasion: (1d20+7)[26]

10. - Top - End - #490
    Colossus in the Playground

Kriv! Nina shouted out offended, and digging in her bag. You should be treating the pretty lady with more respect. She digs out the puppet version of Kriv.

Mini you, is so disappointed in you! She berated holding up MiniKriv to eye level, stoic felt staring into Kriv's soul. Searching into him, judging him....

I believe that what my degenerate teammate means to say, time is of the utmost importance, and we would greatly appreciate anything you feel you could share, whether that is men, arms, or information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ, makes a sound as if clearing their throat,

'Lady Gwyndolyn, my name is ΧΞЯΦ and I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, but I'm afraid time is of the essence in regards to the problem at at hand. As much as we would appreciate the aid of some of the skilled hunters or guards of the lodge we would prefer not to put them in harms way and I believe information would be more valuable to us at this point. Do you know of anything that might aid us and give us a strategic advantage, such as maps or knowledge of the area?'
    Gwyn opens her mouth to reply before...

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    After just a short exchange, Kriv pipes up: Okay, listen here, Missy. We just fought what can only be described as extraplanar construct wolves the size of houses, and we just BARELY survived. If used as siege weapons or similar, these things would likely tear your little fort down, so hiding in your little lodge here won't help you. We are fighting several very dangerous bandit wizards, and chances are if we fall in our attempts to stop them, they can and will take care of anything close to their base. One of them got away so time is not on our side anymore.

Kriv slams his polearm into the ground to underline his statement. Give us a guide towards the nearest waterfall, or have fun dying. I can just repeat myself: giant construct wolves. If the Red Wizards of Thay would have stuff like that, you would bow immediately and send a runner to Waterdeep, but no, because its unknown forces with vast magical powers, it can wait until the Lord returns from his frolick in the field? You are a fool, if you believe so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Performing Intimi-suasion: [roll0]
    ...squinting at Kriv to figure out if he's joking...

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Kriv! Nina shouted out offended, and digging in her bag. You should be treating the pretty lady with more respect. She digs out the puppet version of Kriv.

Mini you, is so disappointed in you! She berated holding up MiniKriv to eye level, stoic felt staring into Kriv's soul. Searching into him, judging him....

I believe that what my degenerate teammate means to say, time is of the utmost importance, and we would greatly appreciate anything you feel you could share, whether that is men, arms, or information.
    ...and then losing all train of thought for a moment at Nina's intervention. "..."

"...you know, I think I've got some old maps that might be handy. We've replaced them since - the topographical information hasn't changed, but the political maps have to be updated, even the local ones sometimes - so we're not using them anymore, but they local ones are detailed enough you can probably make use of them. Hang on, I'll see what I can find."
    She moves to leave, before pausing a moment. "Actually, if it's not too much of an imposition, would you accompany me, Miss Silvertooth? I would appreciate your assistance looking through the maps, to make sure they're sufficiently useful for your quest."

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #492

It would never be an imposition to accompany you. Nina curtseyed, before turning to the rest of her teammates.

I'll be right back guys. She said cheerfully.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

She smiles. "Excellent. Follow me, please," she says, before turning and walking out of the room weird - where before, her posture was professional but relaxed, now it's particularly impressive, as if she's trying to balance the room out. One of the guards smirks but says nothing, and she doesn't acknowledge it as she exits.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #494
    Dwarf in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ visibly relaxed, their posture becoming a little hunched as they slowly turn towards Kriv and addresses him in a calm but stern manner far flung from his usual jovial politeness.

'What in all the gods names are you playing at young man!? We have no time to waste with your silly childishness! Is this how you usually speak to people from who you seek aid? We could have been in a lot of trouble there if miss Sivertooth hadn't jumped in when she did. See Rook twitching over there... at seems that he is dealing with something, the nature of which I do not know, but the man was wise enough to keep his tounge to himself....'

ΧΞЯΦ frains taking a deep breath and stiffens up again, regaining his usual casual but straight posture and continues, his voice a little softer and closer to his usual tone.

'I'm sorry to speak to you so harshly, you are a talented young man, but please take care when speaking to people, might and anger cannot solve every problem, sometimes you need ...'

ΧΞЯΦ quickly pokes out his tounge, revealing that it appears to be made of silver and then winks.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Kriv steps a few feet away from anyone and unleashes his anger at himself and the annoying circumstances of being an adult. He stomps on the ground, a thing that shakes the glass inside the windows and make a thunderous bang. casting Thunderclap without targets We do not need their help. It makes it easier, that is all. We....I do not grovel for some frail elves to help us. Didn't need them then, don't need them now.

The dragon growls in a fainter noise, usually that is him sighing. But I guess I would appreciate it if they sent a runner to Nightstone. Just so dad and the others are safe. His claw makes a small layout of Nightstone in the dirt, meanwhile the moping teen avoid anyone's gaze.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Kriv steps a few feet away from anyone and unleashes his anger at himself and the annoying circumstances of being an adult. He stomps on the ground, a thing that shakes the glass inside the windows and make a thunderous bang. casting Thunderclap without targets We do not need their help. It makes it easier, that is all. We....I do not grovel for some frail elves to help us. Didn't need them then, don't need them now.

The dragon growls in a fainter noise, usually that is him sighing. But I guess I would appreciate it if they sent a runner to Nightstone. Just so dad and the others are safe. His claw makes a small layout of Nightstone in the dirt, meanwhile the moping teen avoid anyone's gaze.
    'Come now Kriv stop it with this silly nonsense' ΧΞЯΦ tuts, 'Asking for help is not groveling, and these fine people are potential allies of our cause, we don't need their help but it would make our task a damn sight easier if we had it. Now if you don't shape up and start behaving we may have to send you back to your father, night stone may need a defender after all and we can't have your temper tantrums jeopardizing our mission.'

17. - Top - End - #497

Planetar

When Kriv steps fully into his adolescent role, Rook closes his eyes and shakes his head. When will this kid learn to control himself? Probably when his temper lands him in the dungeon of some lord. He's just about say something when Nina steps in. He crosses his arms and listens to her chide the dragonborn. Rook winks and gives Nina a thumbs up in a way that says, "You done good kid."

After Nina leaves with the elf maiden Kriv throws a tantrum. Rook is just about to say something, but Xero steps in this time and speaks Rook's mind. He starts at the mention of his name. "I do not twitch. I just find it odd that these elves seem to know about us. Up until a few days ago, we were nobody." He shrugs. "Meh. With all the things we've seen in the past days, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I just hope these elves can show us a way to the bandit lair that won't alert the mages."

Rook sighs.

"And as much as I don't want to admit it, we do need their help if we want to clear out the mages. If there's one thing elves are good at, it's efficient destruction."
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

You are never nobody, and I especially am not nobody. Kriv jumps up with eagerness. Nightstone has like two hundred inhabitants. Of course you know the people around here. Markas is a priest, and Nina is a ro... Kriv pauses for a brief moment rollicking person. You have to have seen her performances.

19. - Top - End - #499

Markas let out a breath that he had not realised he'd been holding as Nina skillfully defused the situation. He noted Gwyndolyn's change in posture as she walked away with Nina and then turned to regard Kriv, Rook and Xero as they spoke. Seeing nothing constructive to add to their conversation Markas swept his eyes over the room, mostly to kill time but also in the hopes he might find something interesting or something important. There was a guard standing with them so he did not pry too hard but simply looked for the moment. Markas thought on what Gwyndolyn had said about "developments" among the Ardeep Elves, maybe something on his desk might give some clues as to what that might be.

Spoiler: out of character
    Show

Perception (1d20+5)[15]

Insight (1d20+5)[22]

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Gwyn and Nina return after a few minutes. "We found a few maps of the area that aren't too out-of-date. I've marked the approximate location of the waterfalls I know of, and I wish you luck in routing the mages, but I must return to my organizing."

My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #501

Thank you for all the help Gwyn~ Nina trills happily.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

I guess that was a short romp. Kriv adds with a knowing smirk. Well done, Nina. And thank you again, Gwyn for helping us.

Kriv hates that he needs help, he is a fearsome dragon. But for now, it helps that he carries the helpful not-hurt dragon buddy on his sleeve, not his brooding teenage self. What does the map say? Is there a waterfall in the vicinity?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Dwarf in the Playground

'Nina, perhaps you should show it to Marcas, he seems to know these woods rather well? And might I suggest we head out quickly so that we can get this situation under control, there is no need to trouble these fine folk any longer.' ΧΞЯΦ gives Nina a wink, joining the fun, 'and perhaps you could regale us with a story on our way throu the woods ...'

24. - Top - End - #504

Finding nothing out of the ordinary as Gwyndolyn and Nina returned, Markas greeted the two women returning.
    "Thank you for your assistance Gwyndolyn, please give our thanks to your Lord too. I do have one more question before we leave however. We passed a small shack on the way here, a shrine to Lathander. Do you happen to know much about it such as how long it has been operating and who the Acolyte tending to it is? Coincidentally said acolyte was also out hunting in the forest when we passed by it."

25. - Top - End - #505

Planetar

When Nina returns with the maps, he lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. "Yes. Yes. The Lord of the Lodge is out hunting. The acolyte is out hunting. Since everyone is hunting, I suggest we do the same. Thank you for the map. We have mages to find."

With that Rook bows curtly and makes his way out the door, hoping the others follow quickly. These mages aren't gonna hunt themselves!

Nosce te ipsum

26. - Top - End - #506

'Nina, perhaps you should show it to Marcas, he seems to know these woods rather well? And might I suggest we head out quickly so that we can get this situation under control, there is no need to trouble these fine folk any longer.' ΧΞЯΦ gives Nina a wink, joining the fun, 'and perhaps you could regale us with a story on our way throu the woods ...'
    A story.... Nina says thinking a moment Let's go with the story of Eric the Earth elemental, a earth elemental that just wanted to make friends.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

"Are we done here? I'm ready to pound some skulls in."
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Finding nothing out of the ordinary as Gwyndolyn and Nina returned, Markas greeted the two women returning.
    "Thank you for your assistance Gwyndolyn, please give our thanks to your Lord too. I do have one more question before we leave however. We passed a small shack on the way here, a shrine to Lathander. Do you happen to know much about it such as how long it has been operating and who the Acolyte tending to it is? Coincidentally said acolyte was also out hunting in the forest when we passed by it."
    She pauses to think. "I believe that shack went up just a month or so ago? Might be a bit longer than that, but certainly not more than a year."

My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #509

"Interesting... Thank you for your information Gwyndolin. I appreciate there isn't much more you can do without your employer here. It's a shame we missed him. None the less it is likely that we may return here. If we require shelter, would we be able to return here?" Markas asked, mindful of the time of day and the alleged numbers of bandits in the caves.
    After Gwyndolyn gives her response Markas again thanks her for her time before issuing a curt bow and turning to leave with the rest of the party.
    "May the Seldarine smile on you and all your endeavours"

<Outside>
    "Well we have more information now, which is good. I think we should have a short debrief while we look at the map to get everyone on the same page. Nina could we see the map please?"
    Markas spoke as he was looking at the map, pointing out obvious landmarks like Phylund Lodge and The Dessarin River which was close to their destination.
    "Now, here's what we know so far, this is mostly for Vola and Xero's benefit as we learnt this information before they joined us. The bandits who call themselves the Greenfangs are based in a cave complex west-nor-west of Phylund Hunting Lodge, in the hills that surround the Dessarin River. There are a small number of natural caves that extend into tool worked caves throughout, apparently the work of kobolds or dwarves, but they form a sort of maze so we will need to mark our way so we don't get lost. The cave entrance we're looking for specifically is approximately 100 yards south east of a small waterfall that flows over a short hill that forms a miniature cliff. There are reportedly a maximum of 50 bandits in the Greenfangs complement but there's usually only thirty on base at a time, there are 5 mages who wear red and black and 6 other distinct individuals that are now the Greenfangs new leadership. They were described as Dog-girl, Bug-girl, Nobleman, Jester Lady, Assassin, and a weird Blackguard. Dog-girl has a few mutts that she keeps with her apparently, which I am sure we've run into now, and one of the red and black mages keeps a big monster around. Now I am not a tactician but I feel it would be wise to use the cover of the forest to approach the area rather than be more out in the open. That said we only have so much daylight and travelling through the forest would be slower than walking in the open. Both options present their own challenges and have their dangers. Do any of you have any thoughts?"

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Now, here's what we know so far, this is mostly for Vola and Xero's benefit as we learnt this information before they joined us. The bandits who call themselves the Greenfangs are based in a cave complex west-nor-west of Phylund Hunting Lodge, in the hills that surround the Dessarin River. There are a small number of natural caves that extend into tool worked caves throughout, apparently the work of kobolds or dwarves, but they form a sort of maze so we will need to mark our way so we don't get lost. The cave entrance we're looking for specifically is approximately 100 yards south east of a small waterfall that flows over a short hill that forms a miniature cliff. There are reportedly a maximum of 50 bandits in the Greenfangs complement but there's usually only thirty on base at a time, there are 5 mages who wear red and black and 6 other distinct individuals that are now the Greenfangs new leadership. They were described as Dog-girl, Bug-girl, Nobleman, Jester Lady, Assassin, and a weird Blackguard. Dog-girl has a few mutts that she keeps with her apparently, which I am sure we've run into now, and one of the red and black mages keeps a big monster around. Now I am not a tactician but I feel it would be wise to use the cover of the forest to approach the area rather than be more out in the open. That said we only have so much daylight and travelling through the forest would be slower than walking in the open. Both options present their own challenges and have their dangers. Do any of you have any thoughts?"
    ΧΞЯΦ looks at Marcus, his eyes wide with excitement.

'Oh well this is interestin, what an odd sounding group I wonder what secrets they hide ... it sounds like we will run into more danger on the roads, even though it will take a little longer I think perhaps going though the forest would be safer and if we can avoid the bandits on the road, the fastest option."