New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: (IC) Calm Before The Storm

Rook Shekten - Kensei Battle Master

"Please clarify 'figuring out a way home'. Is your uncharitable bunch far from home? Where is the place you call 'home'? Perhaps we can help you."
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orsik Vondal View Post

"Please clarify 'figuring out a way home'. Is your uncharitable bunch far from home? Where is the place you call 'home'? Perhaps we can help you."
    "...don't really know a good way to explain it. We're from somewhere like here, but...not? Like..." She's squirming under Markas' spell. "...you know how some people can apparently just...visit heaven or hell? It's like, there's another place like this, but...different. Science is way worse here - or I guess, some sciences? Cities and stuff is about what I'd expect, like that nearby town Riverdeep is apparently just way bigger than I would've thought after being around here awhile...but also you have magic and it just works so different from what I'm used to..."

Spoiler: Deception
    Show
    (1d20+7)[17] or (1d20+7)[19]

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #903
    Dwarf in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ - Far Traveler, Investigator, Seeker of Mystery and Keeper of Many faces

ΧΞЯΦ's interests are piqued hearing about ... other places ...

'I too am not from this place, are there living constructs like me in the place that you are from?' Perhaps we can help you and yours return there ...'
    ΧΞЯΦ - Far Traveler, Investigator, Seeker of Mystery and Keeper of Many faces, after rolling natural 1's on both Disguise and Deception Checks:

'Yes I am just a normal human worm baby.'

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terrastormer View Post
    ΧΞЯΦ - Far Traveler, Investigator, Seeker of Mystery and Keeper of Many faces

ΧΞЯΦ's interests are piqued hearing about ... other places ...

'I too am not from this place, are there living constructs like me in the place that you are from?' Perhaps we can help you and yours return there ...'
    She shakes her head. "Nah, robots are really rare. I mean, sentient ones are basically unheard of, but like...suits controlled by some real person elsewhere are just really uncommon."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #905

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "...don't really know a good way to explain it. We're from somewhere like here, but...not? Like..." She's squirming under Markas' spell. "...you know how some people can apparently just...visit heaven or hell? It's like, there's another place like this, but...different. Science is way worse here - or I guess, some sciences? Cities and stuff is about what I'd expect, like that nearby town Riverdeep is apparently just way bigger than I would've thought after being around here awhile...but also you have magic and it just works so different from what I'm used to..."

"Interesting. My less-than-human friend here is in a similar situation. I wonder if he could assist you in returning home. I also wanted to know where your ability came from if not willingly bestowed."
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

"Interesting. My less-than-human friend here is in a similar situation. I wonder if he could assist you in returning home. I also wanted to know where your ability came from if not willingly bestowed."
    "I don't know where powers come from. Nobody does, really. Just, you're going through life, and life takes a gigantic dump on you, and you get power as a kinda pity prize." She looks like she wants to stop, but continues. "Got mine walking home, when some thugs jumped me and started beating the **** outta. Thoughts just started looping on "please don't hurt me just ignore me"...and I got my wish," she says, a touch of bitterness seeping into her voice. "Keeps me safe, let's me pull all kinds of fun pranks I never could before, let's me deal with *******s like that...usually, anyway."

"A tragic backstory and situation does not excuse you from moral responsibility for your actions," Edward pipes up. "When Xero saw you, you could've just left once you realized you weren't safe, but instead you came back to fight him. Why?"

She shoots him a glare. "Panicked when I realized he wasn't looking past me, was a threat to me. Better safe than sorry, especially when y'all were gunning for us anyway."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-05-12 at 09:24 AM.

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #907
    Dwarf in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ - Far Traveler, Investigator, Seeker of Mystery and Keeper of Many Faces

ΧΞЯΦ looks at Imp quisically.

'How do you know we are running for you? You and yours keep finding and attacking us ... I tried to talk to you and you decided to try to kill us ... also ... who is making those awful wolf constructs and how ...'

They pause and wait for her to answer.

'It seems we are from different worlds, what is the name of the world you come from, are you and your team trying to get back and what is your plan to do so?'
    ΧΞЯΦ - Far Traveler, Investigator, Seeker of Mystery and Keeper of Many faces, after rolling natural 1's on both Disguise and Deception Checks:

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ looks at Imp quisically.

'How do you know we are running for you? You and yours keep finding and attacking us ... I tried to talk to you and you decided to try to kill us ... also ... who is making those awful wolf constructs and how ...'
    "Some guys saw you take on some of our fodder and reported back. Including some vague descriptions, and that you took prisoners. Tats figured you guys were looking for our group in particular, and got a few good guesses at where and when we could try and ambush you. Alpha strike to take you out before you take us out, y'know?"

"The dogs are Bitch's work."

'It seems we are from different worlds, what is the name of the world you come from, are you and your team trying to get back and what is your plan to do so?'
    "We're from Earth Bet. Traveler's are from Earth Aleph. That's the...alternate earth we were already kind aware of, back home. They're pretty similar, diverged maybe...thirty years back, around when people started getting powers. We want to get back home but we're just not sure how. As far as we can tell there's magic that can do stuff like that, but it's beyond the abilities of anybody these bozos have ever met. They've heard of dudes that powerful, but they're the stuff of myth and legend, or like that mad mage dude who can't be trusted."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-05-12 at 10:21 AM.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #909
    Dwarf in the Playground

Things just keep getting stranger and stranger, this girls world seems even further detached from fâerun than their own .... why are they here .... surely it can't be as accidental as she claims .... there is just something so off about this whole situation. ΧΞЯΦ pushes past their confusion and presses on on the hopes of unlocking the mystery.

'Hmm every time I think we are one step closer to figuring all of this out it seems we take 2 steps further into the strange, I believe the Travelers are the ones that we have erroneously been referring to as the mages. Did you come to this world with the Travelers, are you and your group working with them or have they ever worked with them? What powers do the people in your team have, and what powers do the people who make up the Travelers have?' Why are you robbing and killing innocent people instead of seeking aid?

Again ΧΞЯΦ pauses after every question giving Imp ample time to answer.

10. - Top - End - #910

Planetar

Rook's head was reeling from the revelations Imp was dropping. Other worlds? No. He had to just keep it simple in his own mind. This group of people were stranded and wanted to get home. While they figured out a way to get home, they got into trouble. Sounds like a group of young people with little to no adult guidance.

"Imp," he looks to the rest of the group then back to the girl, "I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. There may be someone who can help in Waterdeep to the northwest. If we can reach a mutual agreement, we may be able to help you get back home. Once my friends are finished asking their questions, if your feelings toward us have shifted away from hostile, we can make a deal that can benefit both my party and yours. I hope you will consider it."

With that Rook gives her a sad but hopeful smile. He prays that she will see the benefit in working together.
    Last edited by Orsik Vondal; 2019-05-12 at 03:20 PM.

Nosce te ipsum

11. - Top - End - #911
    Colossus in the Playground

I totally am okay with letting you live. Are all the important people in the group about your age, as well? Nina pipes up.

And Castius Maximus says that her story is totally plausible he knows a whole set of spells from this world called Greyhawk. See there are these bunch of material planes, and like normally a soul as a tether to their correct material plane, but powerful magic can over... and well. Point is. Castius Maximus has magic from other worlds.

What can you tell us about the dual world diverge where you come from? Nina beams happily.
    Last edited by Illven; 2019-05-18 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #912

Markas Ordmund
    Lvl 3 Tempest Cleric//Giant Soul Sorcerer

Markas, with eyes staring unflinchingly at Imp, relays his impressions.

"sharp-eared ****s? You're really good at endearing yourself to other people aren't you..." Markas gives her a pointed look, his own 'sharp-ears' plainly visible.
    "From the sounds of it he is a high elf and they all know a little bit of magic, but it is unlikely he is a mage. I would hardly call what you and your friends practice 'business', need or not, there are lawful ways to obtain resources and coin but then again you've enlightened me about your character and the morals of your friends. By the same metric then it 'sucks' that we now have all of your equipment which you probably want back yes?"
    Markas watches Imp as he talks, guaging her reactions.

"In any case. Let's get down to brass tacks. You've danced around the question, and I can see you're an excellent contrarian but we want to know who your friends AND the travellers are. I want names, descriptions and abilities. I also want to know what you understand about the circumstances that brought you here to our world. How long have you been here now and as a follow up question, why have you resorted to banditry? You're all skilled individuals in a very magical world, your abilities while different are still useful, there are plenty of legal ways to earn coin in this world.
    "

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: STATS
    Show

HP 47/47
    AC 16|18
    Move 30 ft
    Inspiration 1/1
    Channel Divinity 1/1
    Sorcery Points 3/3
    Wrath of the Storm 4/4

Spoiler: Actions Used
    Show
    Action Pending
    Movement 0/30
    Bonus Action Pending
    Reaction Pending

Saves
    Strength +2
    Dexterity -2
    Constitution +6
    Intelligence +0
    Wisdom +6
    Charisma +4

Buffs/Conditions Details Duration
    Fey Ancestry Advantage on saves against being charmed
    Cannot be put to sleep magically
    indefinite
    Warcaster Advantage on Concentration checks to concentrate on spells, able to cast with somatic components even if wielding a weapon or a shield, able to use a reaction to cast a spell of up to 1 action instead of an opportunity attack. indefinite
    Concentration - Enhance Ability Advantage on Wisdom based checks Concentration up to 1 hour
    Memory Impairing Enchantment ???????????? ????

"Trois choses ne peuvent pas être cachées ... le soleil, la lune, la vérité"

Currently Playing - The Calm Before the Storm - OOC | IC
    Former Games - The Forbidden Land of Sundara: BROKEN SUN- OOC | IC
    The Forbidden Land of Sundara: INSURGENCY- OOC III | IC III

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Things just keep getting stranger and stranger, this girls world seems even further detached from fâerun than their own .... why are they here .... surely it can't be as accidental as she claims .... there is just something so off about this whole situation. ΧΞЯΦ pushes past their confusion and presses on on the hopes of unlocking the mystery.

'Hmm every time I think we are one step closer to figuring all of this out it seems we take 2 steps further into the strange, I believe the Travelers are the ones that we have erroneously been referring to as the mages. Did you come to this world with the Travelers, are you and your group working with them or have they ever worked with them? What powers do the people in your team have, and what powers do the people who make up the Travelers have?' Why are you robbing and killing innocent people instead of seeking aid?

Again ΧΞЯΦ pauses after every question giving Imp ample time to answer.
    "We've worked with them before here and there. Get along...well enough, I suppose."

(the rest of these questions are covered in Markas' post so I'll just post it there instead of repeating myself)

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    I totally am okay with letting you live. Are all the important people in the group about your age, as well? Nina pipes up.
    "The rest are all older than me by...mostly a few years at most? I dunno how old the Travelers are but they all seem like mid-20s-ish?"

What can you tell us about the dual world diverge where you come from? Nina beams happily.
    She shrugs. "I don't know much about it, but it's not like the world became two worlds or anything. Some loon just emerged from nowhere one day and threatened to blow a whole in reality. They did, and it turned out there was another Earth on the other side, and it was a lot like ours, except powers were really rare there, and it diverged around the same time our world started getting powers in the first place. I'm no scientist, but I'm sure some egghead's got a better explanation about multiple universes or alternate timelines or whatever that makes sense of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alias_Trench View Post
    "sharp-eared ****s? You're really good at endearing yourself to other people aren't you..." Markas gives her a pointed look, his own 'sharp-ears' plainly visible.
    "From the sounds of it he is a high elf and they all know a little bit of magic, but it is unlikely he is a mage. I would hardly call what you and your friends practice 'business', need or not, there are lawful ways to obtain resources and coin but then again you've enlightened me about your character and the morals of your friends. By the same metric then it 'sucks' that we now have all of your equipment which you probably want back yes?"
    Markas watches Imp as he talks, guaging her reactions.

"In any case. Let's get down to brass tacks. You've danced around the question, and I can see you're an excellent contrarian but we want to know who your friends AND the travellers are. I want names, descriptions and abilities. I also want to know what you understand about the circumstances that brought you here to our world. How long have you been here now and as a follow up question, why have you resorted to banditry? You're all skilled individuals in a very magical world, your abilities while different are still useful, there are plenty of legal ways to earn coin in this world.
    "
    "I'd like my mask back. The knives are just knives - cool knives, yeah, but there's more everywhere. Everybody's got a pocket knife or two around here, from my limited experience." She seems to find some amusement in that, but it's shut down by Markas' more thorough questioning. She huffs and starts talking. "Regent: hot guy dressed like royalty, manipulates nerves. Grue: big and jacked, skull helmet, can make clouds of darkness come out of his hands. Bitch: leather jacket and dog mask, turns dogs into those big hound things, has 'em well-trained. Tattletale: purple skintight clothes, blond hair, claims she's psychic but screws up a lot. Skitter: awesome creepy bug mask, can't miss it; controls bugs, dunno what her max range is. Trickster, red and black suit with a top hat, can switch the location of two things he sees, including people. He's got a limit, but I don't remember what it is. Sundancer is red 'n' black clothes with red sun designs all over her outfit, she summons giant balls of fire. Ballistic is wearing red 'n' black armor, he touches stuff and they shoot off really fast. Genesis, she's the one whose legs don't work. She can create a monster with her mind when she feels like it."

"Buncha gangs like ours were all allied together against some *******s that rolled into our town wanting to murder everybody for ****s and giggles. At some point, local law enforcement decided that the best way to help out was to take some super-bombs they'd seized from a mad Tinker awhile back and drop them willy-nilly. Turns out some of them weren't destroying us as much as setting us adrift in the cosmos. I'm happy not to be blown up, but..."
    she shrugs. "We've been here a couple weeks now, tried to get by just doing our usual in Waterdeep but apparently they take crime really seriously there so we ended up bookin' it like 50 miles out of town and now we're figuring out what to do next. As for why banditry...thieving's what we've been doing, and stopping now seems like more trouble than its worth. Workin' with the local authorities is probably just gonna be a waste of time if they're all this uptight, and we're not exactly shying away from this kinda work anyway. The system we were workin' in worked for us. Yeah, most things are different here, but a couple aren't, namely that money makes the world go 'round. We avoid dealing with the white hats while making bank doing whatever we can, and eventually we'll have enough we can pay some magic-slinging know-it-all to open a hole in reality for us to go through. More fun this way, anyway...at least, it has been."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-05-19 at 08:57 AM.

My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #914

Planetar

Rook stares at the girl with sadness. Though some of the words eluded him, he got the gist of her speech. She was lost in a world she did not know, trying to get back home. I know how she must feel even if she hides it well.

He sighs in resignation. Rook was going to help this girl. He couldn't help his nature. "She reminds me too much of my little sister." He immediately clamps his mouth shut and briefly glances around to see if anyone heard him.

To Imp he says, "I know what it is to unable to go home. I can't say that I enjoyed being stabbed by you or having your friend's creations try to bite my head off, but if you agree to talk the rest of your group out of breaking more laws here and return the items you stole, then I'll talk to the Lady of Nightstone to let you and yours stay in town until we figure out a way to send you all back home. Do you think you could agree to that?"

Rook hopes in his heart that she would earnestly agree, and that sentiment shows on his face.

Nosce te ipsum

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

"Alternate 'Earths'? Different planes? This seems like a load of nonsense. Are you sure your spell is working right? Smells fishy to me. If there's really planar shenanigans going on, that's above my pay grade. Send a letter to Elminster, maybe he'll deal with it. Seems more his thing than ours. And that's even IF it's true. More likely, in my mind, she's found some way to beat the spell."
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Dwarf in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ looks at Rook with a sly smile, he had a softness to him that he let shine through on accident now and again, its why ΧΞЯΦ liked the man so much.

'Vola, Unfortunately it is all too real, the worlds Imp and her companions come from seem very far removed from the one we inhabit but truely they are no different from the world I come from or any of the other planes that are tethered to this one.' ΧΞЯΦ then turns to Imp and continues, 'As for you and yours young lady, this spree of crime and murder must stop NOW, I have a few final questions before we decide on what to do next.'

In an instant ΧΞЯΦ's face loses any trace of its usual mock jovial nature, before Imp stands a creature that was build to kill, and who's patience has long run out.

'Will your companions surrender in exchange for aid to return from whence they came? Will you allow us to accompany you back to your base as diplomats i order to broker peace? Finally, and most importantly, If we try to help you, will you betray us?'

ΧΞЯΦ stares the girl down, waiting for her response.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

Rook stares at the girl with sadness. Though some of the words eluded him, he got the gist of her speech. She was lost in a world she did not know, trying to get back home. I know how she must feel even if she hides it well.

He sighs in resignation. Rook was going to help this girl. He couldn't help his nature. "She reminds me too much of my little sister." He immediately clamps his mouth shut and briefly glances around to see if anyone heard him.

To Imp he says, "I know what it is to unable to go home. I can't say that I enjoyed being stabbed by you or having your friend's creations try to bite my head off, but if you agree to talk the rest of your group out of breaking more laws here and return the items you stole, then I'll talk to the Lady of Nightstone to let you and yours stay in town until we figure out a way to send you all back home. Do you think you could agree to that?"

Rook hopes in his heart that she would earnestly agree, and that sentiment shows on his face.
    "Probably gonna be more up to the others. I'm fine not having more people to watch our backs over, but maybe the others will feel they don't have to worry as much as I do right now."

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    "Alternate 'Earths'? Different planes? This seems like a load of nonsense. Are you sure your spell is working right? Smells fishy to me. If there's really planar shenanigans going on, that's above my pay grade. Send a letter to Elminster, maybe he'll deal with it. Seems more his thing than ours. And that's even IF it's true. More likely, in my mind, she's found some way to beat the spell."
    "Oh yeah if there's some hotshot wizard or whatever we can just go talk to who can solve our problem that'd also be great. Maybe he'll even hand out wishes! Wait is that a thing wizards can do, are they like genies?"

ΧΞЯΦ looks at Rook with a sly smile, he had a softness to him that he let shine through on accident now and again, its why ΧΞЯΦ liked the man so much.

'Vola, Unfortunately it is all too real, the worlds Imp and her companions come from seem very far removed from the one we inhabit but truely they are no different from the world I come from or any of the other planes that are tethered to this one.' ΧΞЯΦ then turns to Imp and continues, 'As for you and yours young lady, this spree of crime and murder must stop NOW, I have a few final questions before we decide on what to do next.'

In an instant ΧΞЯΦ's face loses any trace of its usual mock jovial nature, before Imp stands a creature that was build to kill, and who's patience has long run out.

'Will your companions surrender in exchange for aid to return from whence they came? Will you allow us to accompany you back to your base as diplomats i order to broker peace? Finally, and most importantly, If we try to help you, will you betray us?'

ΧΞЯΦ stares the girl down, waiting for her response.
    "I don't think they'll surrender, no. A cautious peace, depending on how much of a threat they think you guys are, but honestly Tats will probably mostly just appreciate the intel you guys can give as natives. I don't plan on betraying you, but I also don't really plan much of anything. I prefer playing it by ear, and if it turns they say we've got better odds if we use you and lose you, I'm with them over you. If you guys wanna try and have peace-talks, I can lead you back where we've been hiding out, but I can't promise much of anything about how cool they'll be with this vague plan of 'no robbing people, try and make an honest living to get home'."

My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #918
    Dwarf in the Playground

ΧΞЯΦ lets out a short sharp laugh, surprising even themselves and reliving a little of the tension,

'I suppose you could say that some of the most powerful wizards in this world are a little like djinn, though I don't think many of them would like that', They grin widely 'It seems we have come to a ... tentative ... accord, would you be willing to accompany us to Nightstone so that we can introduce you to the lady of Nightstone and inform her of our plans?'

19. - Top - End - #919

Markas Ordmund
    Lvl 3 Tempest Cleric//Giant Soul Sorcerer

"While her answers are less than the desired, she is not lying. The spell still stands." Markas replied "your reticence to engage with this new information is understandable Vola, but 'pay grade' or not, they have the items we seek and that is our mission. There is potentially a peaceful way about retrieving them, this bears exploring."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: STATS
    Show

HP 47/47
    AC 16|18
    Move 30 ft
    Inspiration 1/1
    Channel Divinity 1/1
    Sorcery Points 3/3
    Wrath of the Storm 4/4

Spoiler: Actions Used
    Show
    Action Pending
    Movement 0/30
    Bonus Action Pending
    Reaction Pending

Saves
    Strength +2
    Dexterity -2
    Constitution +6
    Intelligence +0
    Wisdom +6
    Charisma +4

Buffs/Conditions Details Duration
    Fey Ancestry Advantage on saves against being charmed
    Cannot be put to sleep magically
    indefinite
    Warcaster Advantage on Concentration checks to concentrate on spells, able to cast with somatic components even if wielding a weapon or a shield, able to use a reaction to cast a spell of up to 1 action instead of an opportunity attack. indefinite
    Concentration - Enhance Ability Advantage on Wisdom based checks Concentration up to 1 hour
    Memory Impairing Enchantment ???????????? ????

"Trois choses ne peuvent pas être cachées ... le soleil, la lune, la vérité"

Currently Playing - The Calm Before the Storm - OOC | IC
    Former Games - The Forbidden Land of Sundara: BROKEN SUN- OOC | IC
    The Forbidden Land of Sundara: INSURGENCY- OOC III | IC III