New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Spirits (and Other Related Discussions)

Umm... Why am I here?

Just go with it. I think PokéTriforce just wanted your icon to show the spookiness of this topic.

I'm a "Spooky Icon" -- as in a celebrity from one of those "Got Talent" shows? Cool!

Umm... Why is he here, again?

Since I don't drink alcohol, this must mean the Halloween (& related) type of discussions happen here. I am hoping we can talk about the media stuff and share stories/tales within this topic. Does anyone have IRL cases that they've encountered? Anyone want to share the stories they created? This is where we celebrate Halloween, Día de los Muertos, Samhain, Bon/Obon Festival, and other Festivals of the Dead!

Horror movies & TV are discussed here, as well. Got a favorite Halloween-themed ad? Share it here! Enjoy listening to Tubular Bells (aka: theme to Exorcist)? Share it here! Like to draw pink unicorns bouncing on fluffy clouds and sliding down rainbows? Share it somewhere else.

Just kidding! I've been known to stray from the topic at times, myself. Just try to add something to make it relevant (such as adding gargoyle wings to that unicorn). So, let's have FUN!
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Spirits (and Other Related Discussions)

This seems like it could very, very easily fall afoul of the Forum Rules (specifically, "no real-world religion").
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    This seems like it could very, very easily fall afoul of the Forum Rules (specifically, "no real-world religion").
    What religion? Halloween is a holiday; but not quite a "holy day" (as it were).
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    What religion? Halloween is a holiday; but not quite a "holy day" (as it were).
    "IRL encounters," Dia de los Muertes and Samhain are all real-world religious/metaphysical things. I could be being overly cautious, but there is my reasoning
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

"IRL encounters," Dia de los Muertes and Samhain are all real-world religious/metaphysical things.
    Ah. In every culture, there is a celebration for the dead. Think of it as a necromancer's day (I don't remember her name. I think it's Tsukiko). I was merely listing the common ones.

As for the "IRL encounters" thing: I once lived in a house where the basement flooded & blood came from the faucets. The blood was actually rust (as that sink didn't get used much, and the place was old). The flooding occurred because there was a window that had been walled up before my family moved there. The window was open. So, every time it rained, the water got inside and eventually got through the base of the wall where the window was behind. Sure, I could say that I lived in a house that had its issues; but it's more fun to say that I lived in a haunted house (stating the flooded basement & blood water coming from the sink).

Others have similar experiences...that they DON'T have the explanations for. I might have a few, myself.

If this thread goes well, I might do one for the Winter holidays (as those have many traditions/myths & legends, as well). The main reason for this thread (and the Winter one) is for fans of that time of the year to share what keeps them in the "spirit" of the celebrations. Halloween is about costumes & candy. Is anyone dressing as an OotS character? The Winter ones are about the perfect gift (such as if Book D would be given to me in PDF format...hint, hint).

I hope this clears up any confusion you had.
    End of line.

End of line.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dr. Suess Massacre

Sam he is.
    He is Sam.
    He wants me to try,
    Green eggs and ham.

I do not like him.
    I want him dead.
    I want to pump him,
    Full of lead.

And that old cat;
    He is a fool.
    He thinks his hat,
    Will make him cool.

I'd like to see him,
    Up against,
    The Terminator,
    And an electric fence.

One. Two. Red. Blue;
    Those stupid fish.
    I'll hunt them down,
    If I wish.

And Horton,
    That badly drawn Elephent;
    I'll slice him up,
    One-hundred percent.

Yurtle the Turtle,
    And the rest of those books;
    I should poke their eyes out,
    With fishing hooks.

Now my poem is done.
    Yes, that is all.
    Just wait for the sequel;
    Coming this fall!
    End of line.

End of line.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just wait for the sequel;
    Coming this fall!
    There is no sequel. I wrote that poem a long time ago. It started as a joke -- that developed into an entire poem. The class assignment was to create a movie poster of our favorite childhood book. I chose the Wayside School series (Sideways Stories from Wayside School). A friend of mine chose Dr. Suess' the Big B Book. Someone else brought in Green Eggs and Ham. My friend read id aloud, while we worked on our projects. After he was finished, he said, "That was so good; I think I'll read it again."

I joked, by replying, "NOO!!! The TORTURE! The HUMANITY!"

When he finished the second time, he said (just for the fun of it), "How about just one more time?"

As he started to read "I am Sam. Sam I am.", I cut him off by saying, "Sam he is. He is Sam. He wants ME to try green eggs and ham. I do not like him. I want him dead. I want to pump him full of lead."

We both laughed at that. Later that day, I couldn't stop thinking of my humorous comment; so I started writing it. The next thing I knew, I had my poem!
    End of line.

End of line.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

My poem wouldn't fit in a horror-themed movie/TV thread. Nor would it (and my other stories in horror/Halloween-themed) quite fit in a standard thread. With Halloween about 3 months away, I felt creating this thread would get us in the spirit. I simply wanted to share my interests in horror/Halloween-themed stuff. While creating this thread, I thought about other celebrations people have a lot to say about. That's why I plan on creating a thread for the Winter time, as well.

Now you know what this thread is all about.
    End of line.

End of line.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I tried to find the post under Board/Site Issues to quote, but I asked a while and any discussion of real-life magic counts is forbidden.

That said, discussing spooky or creepy stuff could be fun. I don't have any examples myself, but I do know someone whose basement had a hidden passage going around it, so you could enter at one spot and exit at another, similar to what's in some serial killer movies. Maybe legacy of bootlegging?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    any discussion of real-life magic counts is forbidden.
    So...my meeting Penn & Teller in person is out of the question, then. (Sorry. I couldn't help myself).

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I do know someone whose basement had a hidden passage going around it, so you could enter at one spot and exit at another, similar to what's in some serial killer movies. Maybe legacy of bootlegging?
    Didn't the house in Amityville have a secret passage? Of course, it could also have been from the prohibition times.
    Or...maybe...it's a spy thing (one of James Bond's timeshare homes). Regardless, it would make for a fun haunted house tour during Halloween!
    End of line.

End of line.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Bah, I was hoping this was a thread for discussion alcoholic beverages.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Bah, I was hoping this was a thread for discussion alcoholic beverages.
    I'm sure those who consume too much alcohol have experienced unexplained phenomena. Or the supernatural terrors you've seen can cause you to consume alcohol. Regardless, there will be no consumption of alcohol (in the "way to get drunk" sense, anyway) in here. If you were drinking beer by the campfire when you heard a noise off in the woods, however...
    End of line.

End of line.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sticking to the forum rules safe media side - anyone else familiar with Mushi-Shi? I'm seriously considering making watching a few episodes of it an October tradition, and it's replete with spirits.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    anyone else familiar with Mushi-Shi? I'm seriously considering making watching a few episodes of it an October tradition, and it's replete with spirits.
    I'm actually not familiar with that series. Is it any good? What's the premise? Why haven't I heard of it? Then again, I might have heard of it a long time ago (unless it's something recent) -- and just don't remember it.
    End of line.

End of line.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm actually not familiar with that series. Is it any good? What's the premise? Why haven't I heard of it? Then again, I might have heard of it a long time ago (unless it's something recent) -- and just don't remember it.
    After looking up Mushi-Shi on Google, it seems slightly familiar (well...the images on the search page anyway). I've watched so many animé movies/series that I should actually click on a link to see if I recognize it.
    End of line.

End of line.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It's essentially a bunch of picaresque stories of a wandering ghost/spirit ecologist, by way of some sort of microbiological spirit realm analog. It's weird, but it's excellent.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

This seems an appropriate place to tell my story.

I was lying in bed, having just turned out the light, when I heard a familiar yet unexpected sound from downstairs. The front door had opened. This was surprising because I lived alone.

And yet someone had definitely come in. I heard them moving around downstairs and talking quietly. But there was nothing furtive or threatening about them - the quietness was more that of people who knew how late it was, and didn't want to disturb their housemate. I heard female voices, whispering and giggling, and then someone coming up the stairs.

That really made me take notice, because - well, everything up to this point could have been written off as mistaken. The voices could be coming from the street, the door could have been a neighbour's - but not the stairs. There could be no mistake about that. They passed within a metre of my pillow.

The bedroom door opened. Footsteps crossed the floor, walking slightly clumsily to the far side of the bed. Then someone got into the bed.

This was the last straw. I had no particular objection, in principle, to young women getting into my bed - but it seemed a bit much when I had no idea who they were or how they got there. I put out a hand, and reached the stranger's arm.

As fast as I touched it, the arm - dissolved. For a moment I had a handful of cotton sleeve, as if from a rather ruffled nightdress or pajama - then that, too, vanished. The house was silent, and I was alone again.

I put it down to drinking kahlua. So there you have it, a firsthand account of how spirits give rise to ghosts.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

veti gets it! This is why I started this thread. People have IRL urban legend/creepypasta type stories to tell. Some just have stories they created for the horror/Halloween-style theme. This is the place to share them. I don't usually use lights in my place, when I can see just fine (even in dim lighting). I, too, have had times when noises from outside were almost like they were coming from inside. I haven't had someone I don't know enter my room and climb into my bed, though.
    End of line.

End of line.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Queen Songs Re-Vamped

Who could forget classics, like Creatures from the Other World:
    "Fear, we cause
    Some call us things
    We’re the creatures from the other world"

Or how about Blood Sickle:
    "I want to use my favorite blade
    Don’t want to use a knife
    I want to use my blood sickle
    To take away your very life"

Order now and we'll throw in this used stamp for free!
    End of line.

End of line.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bony Hand: a Zombie

There’s no longer life
    Romero fantasy
    Climb out a grave site
    There’s now new reality
    Crave to chew flesh
    Look for brains that are fresh to eat

I’m just a dead guy
    I don’t need air to breathe
    Because I once had pulse
    Now I don’t
    Rigor mortis
    Makes me slow
    Any way I get you
    Doesn’t really matter to me
    Run ’n’ see

Maggots
    Will eat dead meat
    They just crawl inside my head
    Try to eat me ’cause I’m dead
    But my
    Death had just begun
    When I walk around the people run away

Their brains,
    Mmmm

I don’t mean to make them die
    It’s just that I have this forever hunger
    That I must
    Satisfy
    And nothing else really matters

Humans
    That are still alive
    I send shivers down their spine
    They run and hide most of the time
    And soon, everybody
    I’ve got to eat
    Gotta’ keep on chasing ’til I catch and feed

Humans
    Ooh
    Please just answer why
    I sometime find them necessary to maul

I see a man who created his own zombie
    “It’s alive! It’s alive!”
    Cried out doctor Frankenstein

Thunderbolt and lightning
    Helped his creation to breathe

Except this one
    Except this one
    Didn’t eat brains
    Didn’t eat brains
    It was actually alive
    A zombie, no –

I’m just a dead guy
    Everybody fears me

He’s just a dead guy
    Not living anymore
    Walking around like a monster is he

Most my teeth
    No longer show
    Can I eat you slow

Me want brains!

No,
    You can not eat us so

Please, just go

Me want brains!

No,
    You can not eat us so

Please, just go

Me want brains!

No,
    You can not eat us so

I must eat

Do not eat our brains

They’re my treat

You have to refrain

So much meat –

Aah!

Crunch, munch, crunch, munch, crunch, munch, Slurp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[That's as far as I've gotten. I didn't finish it. Whenever I have the time, I keep forgetting to work on this song]
    End of line.

End of line.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Mummy’s Revenge Is Just

You open the sarcophagus
    In a chamber way down low
    Bandages wrapped all around
    From the head down to the toe
    You are cursed now
    Hey, you are cursed because you
    Dared disturb the mummy’s peaceful rest
    Know what to expect
    You feel it now
    As your heart thumps in your chest, yeah!

The mummy’s revenge is just
    And an explorer’s gone
    And another one gone
    Hey, it’s gonna’ get you too

What do you think about scarab bugs?
    Are they still all gone?
    Then what are those all over your tent?
    They know just what you’ve done
    Are you scared yet?
    Are you terrified?
    Well let me tell you what it is
    Dried up corpse from millennia
    Held by old worn bandages (you see)

A mummy unwrapped is dust
    When you see what it is
    Held by old bandages
    It’s not held by superglue

Hey!
    Don’t fear it
    It’s just dust
    It’s just dust, yeah

Hey
    A mummy unwrapped is dust, ow!
    A mummy unwrapped is dust, hey, hey
    A mummy unwrapped is dust, heeeeey
    What about…

The scarabs crawling all over your tent?
    What do you do about that?
    You don’t have enough cans of Raid
    Too many to squash them all flat
    You were warned then
    When you entered the tomb
    The hieroglyphics along the wall
    You shouldn’t have entered so hastily
    And now it’s time for you to fall, oh yeeeah

And an explorer’s gone
    And the last one is gone
    Hey, it’s gonna’ get you now
    You’re dead
    Now
    Just sand
    End of line.

End of line.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Has anyone seen Clown? It's an R-rated 2016 movie that Netflix happens to have. All it says is: "When the clown he hired for his son's birthday party fails to show up, Kent McCoy dons a clown suit from his attic to entertain. But after the party, he's unable to remove the costume and soon begins to feel a murderous spirit taking control of him."

The reason I'm asking is that a friend asked my opinion of it. He said he wanted me to watch it and tell him what I thought. I'm just curious if anyone else has seen it (and what THEY thought about it). Is it worth me taking the time to watch? If you've read my post of the MANY horror movies I own, you can figure out my tastes when it comes to horror films.

In other words, I'd like to get other opinions; so I can formulate the best review for him.
    End of line.

End of line.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Sigh... Why does every clown nowadays have to be a serial killer? Can't they just be cheerful children's entertainers?

Honestly, clowns are people who sacrifice their own dignity to the amusement of innocent kids. I think it's a noble profession, and I don't understand why the whole of popular culture seems determined to portray them as unstoppable psychos.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Sigh... Why does every clown nowadays have to be a serial killer? Can't they just be cheerful children's entertainers?

Honestly, clowns are people who sacrifice their own dignity to the amusement of innocent kids. I think it's a noble profession, and I don't understand why the whole of popular culture seems determined to portray them as unstoppable psychos.
    I think it's the "Uncanny Valley" thing. They look like a regular person, but altered. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, so they're more creeped out by them. In pop culture, it probably goes back to at least "The Greatest Show On Earth" (1952 movie).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Werewolf Rock You

Buddy you’re human
    Make a chew toy
    Running past the trees
    You’re gonna’ be a beast some day
    You got fear in your face
    You big disgrace
    Getting you bitten
    All over the place
    Screaming

They will, they will turn you
    The full moon will change you

Buddy you’re a werewolf
    Wolf man
    Howling at the moon
    Gonna’ eat someone else tonight
    You got blood on your face
    You big disgrace
    Growing your hair
    All over the place

You will, you will bite them
    Chew them! Ah!
    You will, you will eat them

Buddy you’re lycanthrope
    No hope
    When the moon goes down
    Gonna’ make you mortal by day
    You got no memory
    Of list night’s glee
    Some guy with silver bullets
    Make you history

He will, he will shoot you
    Dodge it!
    The humans will hunt you
    Everybody!
    They will, they will catch you
    Then there will be no you
    Goodnight!
    End of line.

End of line.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

We Are the Vampires

I’ve sucked some blood
    To live a long time
    I sleep in a coffin
    And find it just fine
    Look into my eyes
    I’ll hypnotize you
    When I’m done I transform
    Into a bat
    And away I flew

We are the vampires my friends
    And we’ll keep on biting ’til the end
    We are the vampires
    We are the vampires
    No time for humans
    ’Cause we are the vampires
    Underworld

I move about
    Only at night
    I bring an air of mystery
    Sometimes mist that goes with me
    I hate sunlight
    I don’t care for stakes
    That are made outta’ wood
    I cast no reflection
    I find garlic and crosses
    And holy water no good

We are the vampires my friends
    We are the vampires
    We are the vampires
    No time for humans
    Under(as the group sings “world”, the lead singer sings “We…”)
    Are the vampires my friends
    Oh we are the vampires
    We are the vampires
    No time for humans
    End of line.

End of line.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

If I Only Had a Blade

I would take away your life,
    If I only had a knife;
    For me, especially made.
    I could chop you ‘til you bleed,
    If I had the thing I need.
    If I only had a blade.

Oh, my victims I would stab;
    ‘Til their bodies’ cold and drab.
    Everyone would be afraid.
    Yes, through their flesh, I would pierce.
    They would know I am very fierce.
    If I only had a blade.

Oh, I;
    Would make ‘em cry;
    When they saw me at the door.
    Their corpses simply falling to the floor.
    And then I’d hack;
    And dice some more.

I’d cut the brain out of their head.
    I’d slice their heart until they’re dead.
    And how, their courage would degrade.
    What is this that caught my eye?
    Why, it’s a knife…and now they die!
    Because I finally have a blade.

Oh, yes, I finally have a blade!
    End of line.

End of line.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Freddy Krueger

“Whatever you do, don’t fall asleep.” -- Nancy Thompson

His last name is Krueger.
    And his first name’s Fred.
    You better stay awake,
    Or you might end up dead.

He’s the kind of guy,
    I don’t want to meet.
    He lives in Springwood,
    At a place called Elm Street.

“Every town has an ELM STREET!” -- Freddy Krueger

In his house in Ohio,
    He pulled down the shades.
    Then he built his glove.
    He turned the fingers into blades.

Red and green stripes,
    On the sweater he had.
    He put on his hat.
    You can tell that he’s bad.

“I need you to send a little message for me. Just a little message.” -- Freddy Krueger

He’s coming for you.
    You better lock your door.
    Grab your crucifix,
    And prepare for war.

Stay up late.
    You’ll never sleep again.
    ‘Cause the dream realm is,
    Freddy Krueger’s den!

“I…am…ETERNAL.” -- Freddy Krueger
    End of line.

End of line.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jason Voorhees

“I’ve seen enough horror movies to know any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly.” -- Lizabeth

He carries a machete.
    It’s a very big knife.
    If you hear the silent laughter,
    Better run for your life!

He wears a hockey mask,
    To cover up his face.
    Camp Crystal Lake is,
    His stomping ground, his place.

“The counselors weren’t paying any attention. They were making love while that young boy drowned. His name was Jason.” -- Pamela Voorhees

He seeks revenge because,
    Some counselors let him drown.
    See, they were making out.
    Near the lake, they weren’t aroun’.

But, that was not the thing,
    That made Jason Voorhees bother.
    It was the fact they chopped the head,
    Off Pamela…his MOTHER!

“There’s a legend around here. A killer buried, but NOT dead. A curse on Crystal Lake. A ‘death curse’. Jason Voorhees curse. They say he died as a boy; but, he keeps coming back. Few have seen him and lived. Some have even tried to stop him. No one can.”

Through a Voorhees was he born.
    Through a Voorhees he’ll reborn.
    Through a Voorhees must he die.
    Creighton Duke claims that’s no lie.

If you end up in “Camp Blood”,
    You better watch your necks.
    Especially if you’re the type,
    That loves pre-marital [CENSORED]!

“Jason, my special, special boy. Do you know what your gift is? No matter what they do to you, you cannot die.” -- Freddy Krueger (as Pamela Voorhees)
    Last edited by PokéTriforce; 2018-10-09 at 06:12 PM.
    End of line.

End of line.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Michael Myers

“I met him…15 years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason. No conscience. No understanding. Even the most rudimentary sense of life and death…of good or evil…right or wrong.” -- Dr. Samuel Loomis

In Haddonfield, Illinois,
    Is where he can be seen.
    He waits to do his killings,
    On the nights of Halloween.

He uses a large kitchen knife.
    Kill his family…That’s his plan.
    His name is Michael Myers.
    AKA the Boogeyman!

“I met this six-year-old child…with this blank, pale, emotionless face. And…the blackest eyes. The devil’s eyes.” -- Dr. Samuel Loomis

In 1963,
    On Halloween at night,
    The parents of Judith,
    Were in for a fright.
    Their son, in a clown costume,
    Killed one sister dead.
    Thirty-five years later,
    The other chopped off his head.

“I spent eight years trying to reach him. And then another seven…trying to keep him locked up. Because, I realized that what was living behind that boy’s eyes was purely -- and simply -- evil.” -- Dr. Samuel Loomis

But it really wasn’t him,
    That Laurie Strode done in.
    Instead, a paramedic. And now,
    Michael’s loose again.

Every Halloween, I guess,
    That everyone is,
    Entitled to one scare. Let’s hope,
    The scaring isn’t his!

“MICHAEL!” -- Keri Tate
    End of line.

End of line.