New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Monster hunting in the Playground!

Greeting, hunters!
    Does anyone here play Monster Hunter? I just bought MH:World for my PS4 today, and looking for some jolly cooperation once I get my bearing and find out what's changed with my favorite weapons.
    I've been playing MH4U on the 3DS before this one. (Yes, skipped a gen or two)
    In 4U, I was a seasoned hunter, useful with the Light Bowgun, the Lance, and the mighty Switch Axe. (G2 rank, about 560 hours in total)

What are your go-to weapons?
    Would anyone like to play together? Hunting is best when done together.

Yours, Lucien and Thomas the Palico.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Monster hunting in the Playground!

I have it on ps4, but didnt want to have to pay extra for online play. Im actually waiting for the PC release thats about to come out so the husband and I can play it together.

I usually always play bow, but I've started with insect glaive to mix it up a bit these days.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I've got it, but steam won't let me play it until the 9th. this weeks gonna be an interesting one, cause I got both new Hearthstone set and Monster Hunter Worlds dropping, and the next week after this one is gonna Battle for Azeroth finally dropping. so lots of new things. I've played Dark Souls 3, and Monster Hunter Worlds seems like it does something similar, so I'm hoping to have fun with it to.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

I play on PS4, though im at endgame so i wont really be able to team up with you.

But whooo boy is Behemoth a challenge, i think im doing something like 0 - 30 against him. Ive gotten him to the point of his death meteor a bunch of times but each time something went wrong and we failed the quest.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I play on PS4, often with chainer1216 (though I'm usually playing catch-up to him). I also have not been able to best the Behemoth yet.

I'm primarily an insect glaive user, though I'm also fairly proficient with the hammer. I've recently begun adding the bow and the switch axe to my repertoire as well, though I don't feel fully competent with either yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I play it on the PS4 with my brother and an old college buddy of mine. It's a lot more satisfying than most games.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm about to do Tempered Kirin on PS4, but mostly am going to switch to PC come Thursday, because my wife hates controllers

I.... may have this on XBox, PS4, and PC. I'd be willing to play with folks.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I'm about to do Tempered Kirin on PS4, but mostly am going to switch to PC come Thursday, because my wife hates controllers

I.... may have this on XBox, PS4, and PC. I'd be willing to play with folks.
    Oh, man I hate the murder pony. Worst fight in the game I've ever had.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I think that's the "no, you really do need to gear for specific fights" wall. The elders kind of hinted at it, but I think this is the one that drives the point home.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I keep hearing about this game, is it in any way related to the Monster Hunter International book series?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh, you'll love Super Saiyan Murder Pony.
    And tempered Diablo Twins
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    I keep hearing about this game, is it in any way related to the Monster Hunter International book series?
    Not even a little bit. It's amazing, though!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    So I hear. Tempered Diablos (either variety) is bad enough as it is.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What makes the Murder Pony so nasty, in my mind, is the fact that the cues for his AoE attacks are ground level, but the camera is higher, making it much harder to accurately evade them and attack the tiny hitbox he has and dodge physical charges. HR is bad enough because he spams the hell out of the AoE attacks. Tempered is even worse because even a quick one-two can kill you before you can act. He never stops, he never slows down. He can be a little bit fun because it's such an active fight, but when he's the only thing standing between you and level 50...

That said, a friend of mine adores him for one simple reason: apparently the Diablos hammer doesn't bounce off him, even in Elder mode, and there is nothing more satisfying than the feeling of just smacking that horse with a hammer.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

What makes the Murder Pony so nasty, in my mind, is the fact that the cues for his AoE attacks are ground level, but the camera is higher, making it much harder to accurately evade them and attack the tiny hitbox he has and dodge physical charges. HR is bad enough because he spams the hell out of the AoE attacks. Tempered is even worse because even a quick one-two can kill you before you can act. He never stops, he never slows down. He can be a little bit fun because it's such an active fight, but when he's the only thing standing between you and level 50...

That said, a friend of mine adores him for one simple reason: apparently the Diablos hammer doesn't bounce off him, even in Elder mode, and there is nothing more satisfying than the feeling of just smacking that horse with a hammer.
    The Diablos hammer specifically, or hammers in general?

I generally bring my glaive to that fight (Firedance Rathmaul specifically), because even though he's small, I find it easier to keep up with Kirin's constant running all over the place with the glaive than with slower weapons. Still, as a hammer aficionado I will have to experiment with this.
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    The Diablos hammer specifically, or hammers in general?

I generally bring my glaive to that fight (Firedance Rathmaul specifically), because even though he's small, I find it easier to keep up with Kirin's constant running all over the place with the glaive than with slower weapons. Still, as a hammer aficionado I will have to experiment with this.
    Slow weapons are terrible against him, though I could see hammers working.

With greatsword you have to completely forego any kind of charge attack. I generally switch to something else for Kirin of any rank.

16. - Top - End - #16

Slow weapons are terrible against him, though I could see hammers working.

With greatsword you have to completely forego any kind of charge attack. I generally switch to something else for Kirin of any rank.
    I think I managed to get together a set with the Odogoron claws, decent enough resist, and enough unlock to burn little miss stunlock.

But more importantly the fights where you think "this is BS" like the first time you go up against Flu-season T-rex and get 1 shot by fire are the ones you remember.

You will be ganked by Beetlejuice while fighting two other dragons, and you will tell your friends about it.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Kirin is tough for me because you have to be patient and it's a long fight. His stuff is easy enough to dodge, but eventually I get tired/bored and I'll get sloppy or greedy for damage and get hit. Probably my second least favorite enemy after the Bagel.

I think that's the "no, you really do need to gear for specific fights" wall. The elders kind of hinted at it, but I think this is the one that drives the point home.
    It certainly helps, but I know we did him with negative lightning resist when we were new. Gear isn't mandatory like an mmo at least.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-08-07 at 05:42 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think I managed to get together a set with the Odogoron claws, decent enough resist, and enough unlock to burn little miss stunlock.

But more importantly the fights where you think "this is BS" like the first time you go up against Flu-season T-rex and get 1 shot by fire are the ones you remember.

You will be ganked by Beetlejuice while fighting two other dragons, and you will tell your friends about it.
    Ah, yes, the Ancient Forest trifecta of Rathalos, Rathian, and Beetlejuice.

19. - Top - End - #19

Devil

I did it! I finally beat Behemoth! After 40ish attempts i finally found a full group of people who knew what they were doing, we had his tail and both horns poped off before he even left the first area.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I have just started the game. did the first assignment. I have a Palico that I've made with yellow and green eyes, and mottled to have various uneven spots and crooked tail. I call her Miss Match. <3

I have made dual swords out of bone.

I adventure around, killing beasts with my twin bone swords while my cute kitty friend all to eventually slay dragons.

I like this game. I'm sure I'll be getting repeatedly stomped by a big dino someday soon, but I like what I'm getting so far. there seems to be a lot of lore that I'm not privy to, but from what I can tell I'm from this Old World that had monsters in it, and now we're going to explore this New World to find out why elder dragons do this thing. which makes me wonder if there are more civilized areas of this world that are better protected than the one I'm currently in right now. This seems very frontier-ish. There are multiple fleets and weapons and armor, so I assume there is some well-protected place where civilization is strong for all these monster hunters and their support to come from, as well as all the helpful kitties.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Game finished installing this morning. I'll be huntin' monsters after work, methinks!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I like this game. I'm sure I'll be getting repeatedly stomped by a big dino someday soon, but I like what I'm getting so far. there seems to be a lot of lore that I'm not privy to, but from what I can tell I'm from this Old World that had monsters in it, and now we're going to explore this New World to find out why elder dragons do this thing. which makes me wonder if there are more civilized areas of this world that are better protected than the one I'm currently in right now. This seems very frontier-ish. There are multiple fleets and weapons and armor, so I assume there is some well-protected place where civilization is strong for all these monster hunters and their support to come from, as well as all the helpful kitties.
    That's about what I got out of it too. Honestly, the lore seems pretty thin to me in this game. Heck, they don't even bother to name most of the characters. So I treated it as basically just "whatever excuse I need to go and fight the next monster." If you're looking for a deep story, this ain't it. The gameplay is the star attraction here. I'm not familiar with the earlier games in the series, so I don't know whether those were any different in that respect.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

This game has a relatively deep story. Most MH games don't even need to be boiled to be "protect the village from the threat of the day".

As for the Old World: It's pretty sparsely settled, though there are some large cities. It is as full of monsters as new world, more so maybe, as they often wander close to towns, attack travelers/traders/gatherers. Hunters protect towns by hunting those monsters, and are regulated by the guild.

There are actually a number of monsters from the Old World (i.e. previous games) in MH:W. Barroth, Rathalos, Rathian, Diablos,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uragaan, Deviljho, Lavasioth, Telstra, Lunastra, Kushala Daora, Kirin

Anyway, I really like all the MH games I've played, I main Insect Glaive, and my favorite monster is probably Rathalos or
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nergigante

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them!
    (The spoilers are for late game monsters, if you want the surprise.)
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-08-10 at 12:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Monster Hunter is a setting where 10% of the human population has acquired superpowers and immortality to fight giant monsters that have eaten the other 90% of the population.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Right, picked up monster hunter world for PC, going for bow this time as I have access to keyboard/mouse, so I'll get out of my comfort zone from the 3ds.

Does anyone know a good guide to the bow nuance that lists things by the PC keybinding labels? I can't figure out how I managed to do a jumping melee attack with the bow and a rain of arrows from the sky.

Also, are investigations basically just "self targeted quests," so instead of hunting for a quest that involves a monster you want you can pull up an investigation that gives good rewards for it and do that?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Right, picked up monster hunter world for PC, going for bow this time as I have access to keyboard/mouse, so I'll get out of my comfort zone from the 3ds.

Does anyone know a good guide to the bow nuance that lists things by the PC keybinding labels? I can't figure out how I managed to do a jumping melee attack with the bow and a rain of arrows from the sky.

Also, are investigations basically just "self targeted quests," so instead of hunting for a quest that involves a monster you want you can pull up an investigation that gives good rewards for it and do that?
    Yes, investigations give you a bit of extra monster parts as reward. The main quests and side quests often give other benefits like upgrading the town or unlocking tools though, so make sure you do them at least once.

I can't speak for the controls on PC, but I've heard from friends that the controls are better with a controller than keyboard and mouse, although I know people who do use a keyboard and mouse and they do just fine.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Bingo. They also tend to have additional restrictions and later on can involve multiple targets.

Advice: Until you hit High Rank, don't grind to make armor unless you're absolutely stuck on a monster. Upgrading armor makes total sense though. But just make what armor you can from the parts you get from assigned and (reward-giving) optional quests.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Bingo. They also tend to have additional restrictions and later on can involve multiple targets.

Advice: Until you hit High Rank, don't grind to make armor unless you're absolutely stuck on a monster. Upgrading armor makes total sense though. But just make what armor you can from the parts you get from assigned and (reward-giving) optional quests.
    I've been upgrading the hunter armor since the beginning, and I'm now at the quest where you have to trap the walking volcano. Haven't had much trouble yet, but I suppose that's because it's a good all-around armor with no weaknesses or strengths to speak of.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I've been upgrading the hunter armor since the beginning, and I'm now at the quest where you have to trap the walking volcano. Haven't had much trouble yet, but I suppose that's because it's a good all-around armor with no weaknesses or strengths to speak of.
    MINE EVERYTHING. That mission gives you early access to some materials that patterns from the latter two zones use.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

MINE EVERYTHING. That mission gives you early access to some materials that patterns from the latter two zones use.
    Your advice will be remembered.
    Can't wait to see what upgrades that can give to my greatsword!