New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Battle Oracle War-sighted Curse Advice

So I'm thinking of playing a Human Oracle and Like the idea of War sighted Battle Oracles. My problem is I am not good at choosing a curse. I want something that makes for good Role play but nothing that'll utterly cripple my role.

I will be starting at level 5 and the game should end around level 14
    if that helps

I am planning on using a reach weapon and focusing on Combat maneuvers and Divine spells to buff myself

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Battle Oracle War-sighted Curse Advice

The go to curse for melee oracles tends to be Tongues because it has minimal impact. There also now is Lycanthropy which is basically tongues, but I feel it allows for more roleplay opportunities because it gives you more heritage to work with.

Another general favorite is Legalistic, which is a roleplay only curse with a nice once/day +4 bonus.

I also spotted Ghoul, which basically is never a problem unless you get captured. You do miss out on some of the "bonuses" if you don't want to resort to cannibalism. I do like the idea of a oracle who keeps calling people delicious and makes everyone feel awkward without ever actually wanting to eat humans. I should write this one down for myself.

Lastly a more out there option: Hunger. It gives a bite attack which is nice but doesn't play well with reach. However it does play nice if grapple is your combat maneuver focus. Starting each combat with sickened kinda really sucks though. (You can change this problem with dual-curse Plagued into minor penalty to diseases, if you want to go that route.)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Haunted is fairly low-impact as well. It's unclear whether it applies to weapons (I don't see them as "stored" generally) but even if it does, you can simply draw them when a fight is coming up, and there's a decent subset of weapons that you can keep "drawn" even in social situations.

Lame sucks early on, but once you're flying in every combat it becomes largely irrelevant.

Promethean does basically nothing since you get the Con point back every time you sleep; keep an odd score in Con and you won't even notice it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    keep an odd score in Con and you won't even notice it.
    Just for a record, in Pathfinder an even or odd score doesn't matter for ability score damage. It works on "per 2 points" basis, so 1 does the same as 0. Makes Promethean completely penalty free.

Odd or even does matter for ability score drain though.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build