New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1135 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Given that the flashback to the bet wasn't in crayon, I think it's borderline goofy to suggest it didn't happen as it was depicted. Maybe something just offpanel changed it somehow, but everything that was shown happened.

I also tend to roll my eyes at "not my fault, I was drunk!" as an excuse for anyone who wasn't force-fed alcohol, for anything.
    My rule is that I dont excuse people from culpability for anything they did or could have taken reasonable precautions against, but if someone took advantage of someone being drunk, I'm sympathetic. Now, as to whether Thor was drunk enough that his agreeing to the deal isn't on him is its own debate, but I don't rule out the idea that he was plastered enough for something like

[Immediately following where Hel's flashback left off]
    "Huh? Dude, you just said a lot of words and I'm wasted. What's up?"
    "Hel wants to make a bet with you over whether it's more important to have clerics or souls."
    "I'll take that bet, clerics are way more important!"
    "Awesome! Let's say that the winner gets [some godly prize]. Everyone agree to the terms?"
    "Yeah!"

Thor, sobering up the next morning: "Hey, didn't I make some type of bet with Hel last night? How were we going to settle the winner?"
    "Oh, funny story. You see..."
    "WHAT?!"
    "You were there when I stated the terms! No backsies!"

[I don't think that anything in Hel's flashback was incorrect, but I do note that she cut it off before Thor actually accepted the bet, or said anything more than "Huh?", because it was unrelated to her own narrative. We still have room for Thor's POV to finish the scene.]
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2018-08-20 at 08:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Isn't there? It illustrates her viewpoint, which informs part of Hel's character — that she deserves to be powerful, she's resentful, she's fragile and narcissistic.
    The thing is, it does that even if her illusion is a literal factual representation of what happened. In fact, it makes it stronger, because we see that Hel goes into the deal willingly and simply misjudged the consequences. Whereas if it isn't remotely truthful, then Hel just looks insane for imagining the situation.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Thor's the kind of bro that'll help out a newbie with their exercise set instead of mocking them (within ear shot) to the friends for cool points.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think "I was drunk" works as an excuse against everything (or even most things) but I feel like it's pretty standard that deals involving highly intoxicated people shouldn't count or be held against them. And we're talking about Loki, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting him extra drunk to do it, though that is admittedly speculation.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    There is a vast gap between "it happened exactly as portrayed" and "every statement that comes out of every character's mouth is 100% reliable and represents the omniscient authorial viewpoint."
    I don't think (though I could be wrong, I guess) that anyone was trying to argue that Hel's entire account of the bet has to be completely true, just that the flashback in the illusion happened exactly as shown (which we can make of what we will, since the rest of the bet-making isn't shown). (Personally, I don't even think the illusion must be 100% trusted to have happened that way the way a (regularly-drawn) flashback panel should, though in this case I think there's good reason to trust it). So basically, I agree with you, and I think you were probably misunderstanding someone. In any case, I'm fairly definitely certain that no one (myself included) believed Girard and Miko's statements you quoted. (I thought you were going to say Tarquin's quote about burning the ship was wrong because it didn't/wouldn't happen, if only because killing most of the main characters at the same time would be a weird narrative choice at that point in the story.) Tarquin's other quote is true if you accept that "children" can be a code word/euphemism for "vampire spawn." As for Xykon's quote, I actually thought that was true, depending on how you look at it, philosophically. You're free to differ, of course. I guess whether or not what he says in that strip is true in that particular context depends on whether you count "knowing/saving a paladin who's willing to save your life" as a power or not. In other words, either "power of spells+power of crushing windpipe < power of spells+power of knowing a paladin," so Xykon is right (he just didn't know V had the paladin available), or 'you personally having less power than your enemy personally has may not doom you if you have good friends(/allies) to save you,' so Xykon is wrong.
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I don't think "I was drunk" works as an excuse against everything (or even most things) but I feel like it's pretty standard that deals involving highly intoxicated people shouldn't count or be held against them. And we're talking about Loki, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting him extra drunk to do it, though that is admittedly speculation.
    Would Loki need to do that, or would he just time it so Thor was already that drunk?

You know in your heart which one is true.

Loki does love letting other people set themselves up.
    Last edited by Rogar Demonblud; 2018-08-20 at 02:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

We actually saw happening of the bet from Hel's point of view, and Thor said nothing other than "huh," the whole bet is happen between Hel and Loki, with no collaboration from Thor.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398

@Rogar, honestly I don't think which one matters for the point I was making.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    We actually saw happening of the bet from Hel's point of view, and Thor said nothing other than "huh," the whole bet is happen between Hel and Loki, with no collaboration from Thor.
    Huh. I'd actually read that scene as cutting off before Thor agreed, with the idea being that Hel stopped the memory once the part that was relevant to her - eg, her being "duped" - was done with. I think we might see Thor's side of it at some point. Otherwise, it wouldn't be hard for Thor, if he wanted out of the bet, to just go "Hey, I never agreed to that." (Or, for that matter, for Hel to go "He never agreed to that, it's moot, let me have clerics.")
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

10. - Top - End - #400

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Huh. I'd actually read that scene as cutting off before Thor agreed, with the idea being that Hel stopped the memory once the part that was relevant to her - eg, her being "duped" - was done with. I think we might see Thor's side of it at some point. Otherwise, it wouldn't be hard for Thor, if he wanted out of the bet, to just go "Hey, I never agreed to that." (Or, for that matter, for Hel to go "He never agreed to that, it's moot, let me have clerics.")
    That or Loki's really good at making divinely binding contracts without both parties being entirely aware of what they're getting into. Which makes sense because Loki.

I wonder if Thor learned a lesson about getting drunk anywhere while on the same plane as Loki from the bet event. I don't recall in-comic when Thor's been falling-down drunk other than in the pre-world flashback, at least not off the top of my head.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derian View Post
    I don't recall in-comic when Thor's been falling-down drunk other than in the pre-world flashback, at least not off the top of my head.
    Here.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Here.

Grey Wolf
    Not falling down drunk, but certainly not drinking responsibly.
    Blind darts with lightning bolts sounds like a fund game, D&D wise.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #403

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Blind darts with lightning bolts sounds like a fund game, D&D wise.
    If I was a D&D god, I would totally do that.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I figured it'd do the trick, since he is clearly even more drunk there than during the bet.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Takver View Post
    Kudos to whoever it was who said Thor would shrink, to make this conversation easier for Rich to draw.
    Ooh! That’s me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Kind of my thoughts on this as well. It also makes drawing the conversation in varied and interesting ways very tedious. You basically have to over-rely on extreme close-ups to avoid the issue, or forced perspective and wide angles to address it, but this can only really be done so many ways before it starts to get old. Having two entities of roughly equal size just makes it easier to play with the standard conventions of comic conversations.
    Now that the conversation’s turned to Minrah’s “thing” to discuss with Thor, I’ll avoid speculating further and retire with my perfect accuracy rate intact.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, he didn't take the dinner offer after he lied and effectively stole half the money the clasp cost. That's a wonderful example of showing "still the same old Evil Belkar, but with empathy." Just because he doesn't twirl his mustache anymore doesn't make him less Evil.
    Which is something that Haley would totally do (And did : We saw her swindle her teammates out of loot in the earlier chapters), and noone is saying that Haley is evil (although I'd argue she's borderline neutral)

And, importantly, he knew it was bad and felt remorse afterward ("It's bad enough I..."), something old Belkar would have laughed about. He suddenly considered the shopkeeper a person, felt bad for one of his victims, and that was a traumatic experience for him.

I'm not saying he's neutral right now. He's too remorseless about what he did for that. But I'm saying that you don't need an actual redemption to turn neutral. You just need to BE neutral from now on, and he's slowly getting there. It doesn't absolve you of your crimes (you're still guilty of the stuff you did previously and should be punished for it, just like V's regrets doesn't absolve him of the guilt of his own murder spree), but people can change without some sort of huge epiphany. The small stuff is just as important, and that small scene really painted Belkar in a different light : "He's still a jerk, but he doesn't enjoy it anymore"
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2018-08-21 at 05:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm having a hard time to comprehend how "is able to feel empathy and refrains from taking even further advantage of someone they ripped off" is not less Evil than "fails to feel empathy and gladly takes further advantage of someone they ripped off". Evil is a spectrum. Belkar is firmly within that spectrum and there's little reason to believe he will ever leave it, but he's on a different spot than before.
    ungelic is us

18. - Top - End - #408

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I strongly feel that the gods as a group completely suck, so Thor's taking some heat here for being their representative even if he's one of their less-objectionable members. But he is party to the creation of the world and its inhabitants, and all the injustices that have gone baked into it, so relatively nice as he is, he's not blameless either. Surely a Good god should feel some remorse if they had a hand in causing suffering to innocents, even if it was more negligence than malice.
    In Shojo's exposition, the gods agreed to let each god add their own thing to the world without fighting about it, to make sure there wouldn't be any Snarls in the new world.

I wouldn't call it negligence if Thor saw that the evil gods were weaving in injustice but didn't stop them because if he broke the rule of "let every god have a turn" the entire plan to create a new world and imprison the Snarl would fall apart. Of course imprisoning the Snarl was as much for the good of the gods as for the mortals but if the world was woven badly because the gods kept interfering with each other (Thor trying to stop the evil gods from adding injustice, evil gods trying to stop the good gods from adding fairness) the Snarl could have destroyed it all over again and annihilated the souls of everything living on the planet (for many considered a fate worse than death), and if they didn't create the world, well...

Is anyone interested in putting up a defense for the position "The gods should not have bothered with creating a new world"? Honestly it sounds like an interesting position to take even if I don't agree with it myself.

The further we get into the story the more it looks like Shojo didn't know the full story, but given what we've seen of Thor I'd give it good odds that he does actually feel pretty bad about all the injustice in the world. According to Hel Thor told the dwarves about the bet so they could establish a system to avoid going to Hel, which sounds a lot like Thor doing his best to prevent the dwarves getting royally screwed over by a bet made by the gods. It's still not entirely fair to the dwarves but most of them don't seem to mind living honourbound and from what we've seen of Hel so far maybe in the grand scheme of things it's still better if the dwarves have to live honourably than if Hel got her fair share of souls and clerics.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    Is anyone interested in putting up a defense for the position "The gods should not have bothered with creating a new world"? Honestly it sounds like an interesting position to take even if I don't agree with it myself.
    Sure, I'll bite. Creating a world is an extremely serious and profound act, and should be treated as such. It is not something to be done on a whim or a lark, or for your own benefit, but for the creation's. The gods here are capricious and supremely self-interested; the world exists to entertain them and to empower them, not for its own sake. For the creations, never having existed would be preferable, as it would be better than eternal exploitation.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Sure, I'll bite. Creating a world is an extremely serious and profound act, and should be treated as such. It is not something to be done on a whim or a lark, or for your own benefit, but for the creation's. The gods here are capricious and supremely self-interested; the world exists to entertain them and to empower them, not for its own sake. For the creations, never having existed would be preferable, as it would be better than eternal exploitation.
    I need to refute your heathen claims of creation being better of without a purpose.
    All I read is mere complaining, that creation doesnt serve YOUR ideals.

To remedy the situation you would have to get rid of the (fallible) gods and thus you would deny existance to countless beings for no other reason as to begrudge the gods their entertainment.

Or to quote Roy : "our lives may be insignificant to you, but they have all the meaning in the world to us "

Now as a part of said creation you might call him biased. I'll give you that

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Which is something that Haley would totally do (And did : We saw her swindle her teammates out of loot in the earlier chapters), and noone is saying that Haley is evil
    Quote Originally Posted by hroţila View Post
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time to comprehend how "is able to feel empathy and refrains from taking even further advantage of someone they ripped off" is not less Evil than "fails to feel empathy and gladly takes further advantage of someone they ripped off". Evil is a spectrum. Belkar is firmly within that spectrum and there's little reason to believe he will ever leave it, but he's on a different spot than before.
    Good point. I'll concede that it wasn't that bad, and feeling bad about it afterwards was a positive change. Of course, its still in the sense of emptying a lake with a bucket. There certainly is less water in the lake, but you'll forgive me if I'm not preparing for the change in shoreline.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #412

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ha ha, but no. I'm looking for things to get FIXED, here. Thor being partially responsible for things having gone wrong means he has a responsibility to help set them right. I want to see him acknowledge that.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ha ha, but no. I'm looking for things to get FIXED, here. Thor being partially responsible for things having gone wrong means he has a responsibility to help set them right. I want to see him acknowledge that.
    Why only to Durkon, though?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why only to Durkon, though?
    Durkon's a proxy for the audience. Although the fact that he's an extraordinarily moral as well as devout individual could arguably make him an ideal mortal candidate to have the rest of things spelled out. He won't be knee-jerk opposed to the gods as a corrupt ruling class the way others might be, but his sense of right and wrong is (I think) too strong to be overwhelmed by awe of the divine either.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If each god gets to add their part to the world, and the other gods don't get to interfere, Thor is only responsible for the parts he added. By definition. It's as though the world is a collection of short stories with no editor for the collection; Thor writes his short story, Hel writes hers, and neither gets to change one jot nor tittle of the other's tale.

A good god refusing to participate at all means that the aggregate contents of the collection of stories are somewhat more evil.

The question, then, is how many gods does it take to make / remake OotSworld? If the evil gods are going to go ahead and make a world because they are enthusiastic about exploiting mortals, it seems that a neutral or good god would have a responsibility to add some good into the collection of completely independent short stories; otherwise, every tale will be nasty, brutish, and short.

If Hel could have made the world by herself (or Hel and one other evil god from the other two pantheons), and would have gone ahead anyway, a god that cares about the mortals is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Participate in creating a world that will contain much that is evil, or refuse to participate and thereby remove much that would be good from that world.

And the Snarl means that the good gods can't force the evil gods to write their stories any differently, or vice-versa.

Some might say that all the world's a stage, a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Roy tells us that even if that's true from a deific viewpoint, from the perspective of one of the characters, that idiot's tale is all they've got. It's their everything.

Also worth noting is that when Macbeth delivered himself of those famous lines he was not in a particularly good mental state; in fact, he was a BBEG about to die monologuing.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

26. - Top - End - #416
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm going to guess Minrah's 'thing' that she doesn't want to tell Durkon about...

Spoiler: Humour
    Show
    She's a closet tree-hugger. Which no self-respecting Thor-worshipping dwarf would admit to.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If each god gets to add their part to the world, and the other gods don't get to interfere, Thor is only responsible for the parts he added. By definition. It's as though the world is a collection of short stories with no editor for the collection; Thor writes his short story, Hel writes hers, and neither gets to change one jot nor tittle of the other's tale.

A good god refusing to participate at all means that the aggregate contents of the collection of stories are somewhat more evil.
    Sounds like Marvel comic books.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Sounds like Marvel comic books.
    Both the Marvel and DC universes have some, shall we say, logical inconsistencies. Characters generally are capable of doing exactly what makes for a good story, even if that's different than what they did in some different story. And people like Doctor Doom and Magneto go from "malicious but you can work with them" to "scenery chewing EVULLLLLL" depending on the story.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Both the Marvel and DC universes have some, shall we say, logical inconsistencies. Characters generally are capable of doing exactly what makes for a good story, even if that's different than what they did in some different story. And people like Doctor Doom and Magneto go from "malicious but you can work with them" to "scenery chewing EVULLLLLL" depending on the story.
    Thus born the continuity snarl.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The thing is, it does that even if her illusion is a literal factual representation of what happened. In fact, it makes it stronger...
    Sure. It could theoretically all be completely true and Hel could really be the heroine, the damsel in distress who had rightful dominion over the dwarves, but who had it stolen from her. Sure. In theory. It could all be true.

But why would it be? Name me a good reason why Rich would depict the evil goddess who is trying to destroy the world as the helpless victim of bullies who knocked her down and took her stuff. Why he would depict the archvillain of the current book as a sympathetic, honest character who was done wrong through no fault of her own.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.