New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Outlast - initial thoughts / first playthrough

No spoilers please.

While on a horror kick recently I decided to, belatedly, pick up a copy of Outlast. It being on sale for $4 had nothing to do with my decision, I swear.

So far (a little under an hour in), I'm not really that impressed, especially given the hype I recall when the game was first released. Some jump out scare tactics? Okay. Gore? whatever.

The only thing that really seems to effectively add to the horror feel of playing is the constant hyperventilating that the character does. That's effective and good atmosphere I admit. However, I kind of feel like it's a bit of a cheap tactic to add to the horror aspect of the game. If you had a magic wand / setting to turn that off, I don't know what would be left that would really be scary (admittedly, I haven't checked the setting options, nor intend to). Otherwise, it's a game of hide and seek. So far that is. Maybe things will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Default Re: Outlast - initial thoughts / first playthrough

My takeaway from both Outlast and its sequel was that a lot of the horror was reliant on immersion. If you're controlling the main character, nothing can get to you. If you are the main character, the situation becomes terrifying. And it's your own humanitarian curiosity that put you there. Hopefully if you stick it out a bit the game will manage to sink its teeth into your psyche.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I had to give up on this game when I couldn't get past the first basement area. No matter what I did, or how quiet I was, everything always knew right where I was without fail. Close the door, activate the switch, hide under the bed? Found moments after door is opened by one of the things.
    Close the door, activate the switch, hide in a locker? Same.
    Either of the above with the door open? Same but faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I had to give up on this game when I couldn't get past the first basement area. No matter what I did, or how quiet I was, everything always knew right where I was without fail. Close the door, activate the switch, hide under the bed? Found moments after door is opened by one of the things.
    Close the door, activate the switch, hide in a locker? Same.
    Either of the above with the door open? Same but faster.
    Spoiler: just in case
    Show
    As I understand it, you have to get out of the room before the baddy returns.

Note, I did not actually play the game (too scary) but watch some let's plays.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-04-11 at 12:54 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Spoiler: just in case
    Show
    As I understand it, you have to get out of the room before the baddy returns.

Note, I did not actually play the game (too scary) but watch some let's plays.
    Tried it again ealier this week and running like mad ended up working for me. Seems being stealthy is overrated and just running everywhere is the best plan (so far). We'll see how long this lasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.