New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Weird Thrown Improvised Weapon Build (request for help)

Edit: Well, that's a little sad. Had to remove all the URLs from my post, makes things a bit hard to show the homebrew being allowed, sorry for the lack of links.
    Edit: Finally have enough posts I should be able to do URLs.

Summary: Help me build an improvised thrower. Vaguely inspired by Habersdasher but I have to follow some special rules.

Long form:
    So my DM is playing with a special story gestalt thing.

We're captives in an arena, with level-blocking collars keeping us "weak" enough to make it difficult to escape.
    Entertain the audience, stay alive, find a way to escape, preferably after gestalting 2 or 3 times.

Rules:
    All books are allowed, all dragonmag is allowed if I can justify it, a bunch of homebrew is allowed including the very awesome bloodlines stuff on these forums.

Instead of leveling up to 20, we level up to 6, and then pop a new gestalt branch every time a gestalt branch hits 6.

32 point buy, first LA is free, can buy feats at 2kg apiece WBL capped at L6.
    Can swap xp to gold at a 4g to 1XP rate, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Level cap is 6.
    Currently Gestalt branch 0 is 6 levels, and Gestalt branch 1 is 1 level.

Can only have 6 levels worth of PRCs.

Regen is banned and if you have it, it gets converted into fast healing.

Cool Equipment

Current idea:
    Dream Crafter

With that homebrew class, I'll have proficiency in whatever I want, and it'll automatically come back to me, sheathed or in my hand.

Thinking about the Iaijutsu focus skill to increase damage.
    But also worried about packing decent defense.
    I'm not afraid of RHD in my LA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Brutal Throw(Feat) would be a trap in this context - I'm better off having enough strength to lift whatever, and then enjoy Dex to AC and to-hit.
    I'd like to be large, as the DM is using a special equipment rules where the dice damage for large creatures are significantly increased. But medium/small/fine is cool too (:

For PRC I'm thinking Bloodstorm Blade and/or hulking Hurler but not positive.

Or I could go with a dazing effect Boomerang Daze

Thanks for reading, I love the forums here and have been lurking for several years (:
    Last edited by Seneschul; 2018-12-05 at 07:32 PM. Reason: title change

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Weird Thrown Improvised Weapon Build (request for help)

Iaijutsu Focus is only useful if you have a reliable way of rendering the enemy flatfooted. For ways to accomplish this, see here. Also, as it only functions on drawing a weapon, you'd need a method of either endless weapon draws or ways to get your weapons back in their sheaths for each subsequent use of it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Finally got enough posts I could include URLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Iaijutsu Focus is only useful if you have a reliable way of rendering the enemy flatfooted. For ways to accomplish this, see here. Also, as it only functions on drawing a weapon, you'd need a method of either endless weapon draws or ways to get your weapons back in their sheaths for each subsequent use of it.
    Dreamcrafter weapons reappear in their sheathe or hand, whichever the dreamcrafter prefers. Handy for iajutsu ^_^

Thanks for the flanking cribsheet, much apprecciated.

Any suggestions on race/templates/etc?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something to note, dream crafted weapons can only be martial or simple, of which improvised tends not to be. That is of course unless you are throwing an actual weapon that's not meant to be thrown (ie greatswords) in which case it is a martial weapon, being used in an improvised manner.

If you are using simple/martial weapons, I would suggest not going hulking hurler, the beauty of the hurler is to throw heavy objects that do damage based on weight, and weapon specifically do their listed damage.

If you do go for a heavy object throwing build, I think their is a psi power in complete psionic called telekinetic boomerang that is a fast acting return quality that you could use on say an oversized adamantine bowling ball.

And as for throwing actual weapons, being larger sizes and having larger weapons(more D#'s) can be a good route over the precision based thrower. In those cases you take a hit to Dex from larger size and want to go all str.

Dex throwers, can be tricky. One of the issues is what type of creatures you are ready to fight, and good weapons.
    In this case dream crafter would make the most sense since you could use the dream weapon ability for ammunition, which some darn good throwing weapons are considered, and to pair with master thrower to better effect.
    The third issue of precision throwers is types of added damage, and how to get more. Weapon enchancements are a part of this, but very few classes have abilities that can be used enough times per day to make a difference on this part, so it is often about feat selection, knowledge devotion, if you are throwing skiprocks pulverize foe is nice.
    And for the builds that relie on a greater number of attacks the often need the two weapon fighting chain to help off set the lower damage.

Seeing as how you are limited to over all levels of gestalted 6, this does limit classes and feats with higher BaB requirements, a Dex based skiprock thrower(small size or smaller), with psionics would work well.
    A hurler build with str under 30+ would probably not be that worth it compared to bloodstorm blade or other options.
    Last edited by Menzath; 2018-12-05 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Dang phones