New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Winding Roads

1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Winding Roads

((still here, but nothing important to add plus no time to add it is keeping me from posting.))
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

"Ah, gods... No, I have no greater power I worship. Except, perhaps, Time itself. After all, no god stands forever." With old, tired eyes Pellus smiles. "None." He says with the certainty of personal experience. His tired but relaxed expression slowly fades, and he regards the priest coldly... "In fact, it might be more accurate to say... In the seeds of Greatness lie the rot of Destruction."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man looks at you with a strange expression which quickly changes into something between anger and good-naturedness: "This may be true of the old deities. The new God is the only true one. And therefore he represents everything at once. So he can't become anything, because he already is everything. But most of all he is reason and mercy. I see there is still a lot I can tell you..."
    And the man carries on, mostly with repetitions of the above in almost every version possible.

Apart from the man's attempts to convert everybody in the group, nothing notable happens during the rest of your journey.

It is noon of the 6th day when you finally reach Lukar's hideout. Two men are guarding the entrance, and it is only after a short exchange of words between Lukar and the two men that they lower their bows.
    They introduce themselves as Taran and Adrin.
    As you enter the small cavern, you are greeted by the rest of Lukar's men as well as two men who look very much like sellswords.
    You are introduced to one after another. The men are all looking tired, and a few of them are still sporting injuries from the Kolyarut's last visit. The last person to be introduced to you might be called the reason for all this trouble. Jahanah Tallandro does look very much like her brother, only much more feminine and attractive. She has the same hair color and exactly the same eyes as Lukar, and they are full of determination. "I'm glad you are here to help and I owe you my gratitude." Even Jahanah's voice has some similiarity to her brother's.
    "Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats."
    - 4th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar remains relatively quiet during the journey. He doesn't know what to make of the two clerics and feels uncomfortable about their attempts to convert the members of the party. He avoids them as much as possible. When they try and speak to him about their religion he merely responds. "I'm a loyal servant of Prandur. I'm not interested in any other deity." If they are persistant, he'll claim the need to scout the area in the air and leave for a couple of hours until they get the message that speaking to Jondar is pointless.

When the group gets to the cave, Jondar starts asking questions. "How much time do you need to get packed? We need to get away from this position immediately, and hide the group more effectively. I've made arrangements to speak to the Kolyarut at a neutral location, but before I go there I want to ensure that you are protected. Have you been scouting the area at all?" he asks.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

Alternating between personnas for the journey, Pellus will alternate between friendly debate and baiting of the two clerics. After everything that can be said is said, he'll jog ahead of the group, and hang out with Jondar, silently keeping pace with his horse.

Upon reaching the cave, Pellus is in a good mood, and acts in a friendly manner. Bowing briefly, he adresses Jahanah, "Well Met. As to the help, well... we are more than glad to provide assistance, though admittedly it does come with several requirements." Smiling, he pauses. "I believe it is best if Luskar explains."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We don't need more than half an hour to gather all our things. But do you really think it's safer in the open than here? And yes we are scouting the area; without any pause."

At Pellus' remark Jahanah raises an eyebrow towards her brother.
    "I'll tell you later, now isn't the time for this. At the moment it is unimportant for what reason all these men have agreed to help us. What is important is that we decide wether to dig ourselves in or to risk being assaulted on our way. It think we should risk it and leave here as soon as possible."

The others are either nodding or voicing a murmured "Yes", only Jahanah is looking questioningly at Lukar, though she says nothing.

"Well, I suppose this means we should start to pack our stuff. So how exactly do you think we should proceed," Lukar adds in Jondar's direction once everybody else has started packing, "do you really suppose the Kolyarut will listen to our plee?"
    "Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar shrugs, "If we don't ask we will never know. What is important however is that there is a critical path ahead of this group. The Kolyarut already knows where this group is. That information gives it power. There is no point in digging in at this position as it can bring resources to bear to eventually overwhelm this position. Only by moving to a location that it is unaware of can we remove this power. Moving has it's own risks, but not as much of a risk as staying put would be."

Jondar removes his pack, laying it next to his horse and he begins to roll his shoulders loosening the muscles. "Ideally I'd like to find an equally defensible position within a couple of miles, somewhere with good lines of sight for some distance. Full moon is three days away." he says orientating himslef by the sun. "If memory serves, the ruins of Alcanton lie in that direction," he says pointing to the southwest, he turns and looks that way. "Any good places to hide around that area?"
    Last edited by Jagg; 2008-01-16 at 10:52 PM.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

"There probably are, at least the undead are happy walking through the ruins. Of yourse, now that we have several more men, we could try and liberate the place."

((Sorry for the overly late post, I tried yesterday evening and after a few attempts at loading the site, all I got was a message stating serious server problems...))

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

"Well, no use standing about. Let's get a move on, people!"

With that short speech, Pellus starts helping people to get ready. When offered a horse, he once more declines.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

After a bit more than half an hour, everything and everybody is ready to leave. "So, to the ruins, or somewhere else? I have talked to the returned scouts and they seem to have discovered another cave within a few hours. Probably a day with all of us."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

"Another cave sounds ideal" Jondar responds, "Lets make for that, put the scouts out ahead of the main party and get going. I'd like to make sure we are well away from here if the Kolyarut comes looking for us." he says.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Pentar, Sodar, lead us to that cave, Mirrus and Urdan, you two scout ahead. Make haste!"

At Lukar's commands the whole group slowly begins to move and soon you are on your way to the other cave.
    It is late in the night when you arrive at your destination, a small system of caves, larger than the previous hideout but only with one exit.
    "This is definitely better to defend but should they block the entrance there is no way to escape. We should position guards a good way from the cave, just to be on the safe side. Syro," a tall and muscly man in leather armor stops unloading stuff and steps over to Lukar, "Take Corus and Ovion and take position outside. Make sure you can see as far as possible. So," he says to you after Syro has left,"Now all we can do is wait, I suppose?"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

"I think myself, Jondar, and any others that are going to meet the Kolyraut should head off as soon as we can. The more time we have to get to the Ruins, the less possibility the Kolyraut will be able to figure our where we came from."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Sorry, I am having Internet problems, please role-play me untill I am able to return, Sorry fo the short, un-edited message, I don't know how long I can stay on this computer.))
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar nods in agreement. "Sounds like a plan, Lukar I probably don't need to tell you to fort up. You're military so I'll assume you know all about crossing lines of fire, false trails and defensive structures. Most importantly it's best if you stay hidden."

Jondar continues talking whilst rearranging his backpack. "What concerns me is whether we have a means of communicating over distance. If the negotiations don't go well, we need a method of letting you know that means we can't be followed back to this location. Any of you magic users have any bright ideas?"
    Jondar in Winding Roads

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmm... Give me a moment, I see what I can do."
    Lukar searches through a few backpacks filled with scroll cases before he comes back to you, a single scroll case in his hand. "Here. It lets you deliver a short message from several miles away. That's the best I have, I hope you can use it."

The scroll case contains two scrolls of Whispering Wind.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

[ooc] welcome back cog[/ooc]

Jondar accepts them and puts them in the pack, "I can't use them, so we will need someone to come with us who can." he states standing up and looking around for direction and landmarks to get him where he needs to go.

"Right whoever is coming with me we should get going now." he says taking a swig of water and rinsing the trail dust from his mouth, before replacing the waterbag in his pack.

He holds his hand out to Lukar, "Stay hidden and keep your sister safe. We'll let you know how it goes."
    Jondar in Winding Roads

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

Nodding respectfully to Lukar and his sister, Pellus exits stage left.. er! I mean accompanies Jondar to the ruins!

ooc: welcome back cognito :)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Oh right... npc blaze... forgot))

"I will take the scrolls," Blaze says and takes the case from Lukar.

"Good Luck with the Kolyarut. I would send two of my men with you, but that might entice an immediate attack. Maybe one of our other newfound comrades will come with you."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar shakes his head, "It's probably better if we keep our numbers down. That way should the Kolyarut decide our deaths will be useful in trimming your support base you don't lose too much and still have a chance to defend yourself. A half day to get there a day of waiting and a half day back. If we do not return in three days you will know we have failed and you will need to do what you fel is necessary to protect your sister and supporters."

Jondar begins walking towards the ruins.
    Jondar in Winding Roads