New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Hoping to Get Some Advice On A Modified Summoner Build! Pathfinder

Hey guys! I've been playing dnd for a while now, but still consider myself pretty new. It's only recently that I've really started looking into and learning more about the game, beyond the limited knowledge I've needed to play the game thus far. I just made a new character, who is a synthesist summoner. I know that synthesist summoners are pretty good (which was NOT the reason I chose to play them) and since being over powered in the group hinders my team, the GM and I have made some changes to the class. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Basically I wanted a character that had an evil(I loathe to call one of my characters evil-misled, or unkind maybe?) second being inside of them. In comes Koss- my Eidolon, and his summoner Mia. Here's how it works for us thus far, Koss lives in Mia- like in her head, sort of how like possessed people can still be aware and such, but can't influence the actions the possessing person makes. Koss and Mia(because they're two different people) split their skill points and feats however I want them split. (If I had 40 skill points I could give Koss 5 and Mia 35, right now I've split it right down the middle). Koss was unwillingly sealed in Mia, and so when he 'comes out to play', Mia is unconcious and Koss is in full control, able to attack and do Kossy things. When Mia is in control, Koss can see through her eyes, he can use knowledge or perception checks to help her if he wants(though he isn't usually so kind), but only one of them can roll for checks.

The big thing about this is, Koss CAN NOT cast spells. Only MIA can do that, and since they're never both in control at the same time, Koss cannot be affected by spells of Mia's. Furthermore, Koss is a murdery sort of character, he likes to kill things(he HATES casters, because he was sealed in Mia by a caster). Mia is a utility character, locking down opponents and helping team mates. Both Koss and Mia are meant to function as characters that take down the backline(enemy casters). Mia at a range, and Koss using dimensions door to teleport back into enemy lines and take them down. Koss also has high intimidate and dazzling display, which his super cool axe gets bonuses from. Mia makes pits(I LOVE creating pits) under enemy back lines and grapples with black tentacles. She has shield and we've been thinking of using the feat that enhances it.

SO, here's my question for you guys, with some knowledge on what I like in my character, as well as how they work, what utility spells would you recommend for Mia? Like, I said, I like how create pit works(SO fun) but I also like the idea of heals or team bonuses. Possession as a future option? Something to disarm them or walls for my team to take cover? I'm not really sure what kind of utility would be best, to be honest and would love some outside opinions. My GM has said that if I wanted a spell from a different class, that we could talk it over- it would be an option(we're a very lenient group). He's also mentioned that I could switch Mia from a Synthesist Summoner, to a different class(like a sorceress summoner for example). Koss would still be her Eidolon, but she would function as a different sort of caster. This would, of course, take more home-brewing and changes, though myself and my GM enjoy it and are okay with making this change if you have ideas that would support that. I do like the summoning bonuses I get from being a summoner(longer summons and augment summoning) but am willing to look into other options.

I REALLY like creative uses for spells, as well as combos. Using 'mount' to block hallways or take cover, or casting hideous laughter on someone in an aqueous orb is like the best thing ever. More than anything I'm looking for what's fun to do and play, my goal isn't to min-max, even if some of my choices might seem that way.

I was also hoping for some insight on feats. I think they would be more helpful on Koss(since he can't be aided by Mia's spells), but any help is welcome. Any suggestions for magic items would be great too! Overall, ANY opinion on what spells, feats, items, or play styles would be good is very much appreciated. Since my characters are sort of home-brewed, any changes to the system that you might think would help it run smoother would also be appreciated. Really, anything you guys have, I would love to hear. I just want to help make Mia do her job well, and Koss do his well, without overshadowing my party and ruining their fun.

My character is currently level 7, turning 8 soon if I'm correct. I'm sorry if any of this was confusing, let me know if you have questions! I sort of wrote in some stuff I liked here, but don't let it tie you back, if you have other ideas you think would be cool then don't hesitate to put em down! Clearly we aren't held back a ton by the rules, my GM can be very flexible and is willing to incorporate things that make sense and are within reason. I'm not positive on what edition we play. Thanks a ton, and please forgive me for completely butchering this class!
    Last edited by EVEllie; 2018-08-30 at 01:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Hoping to Get Some Advice On A Modified Summoner Build! Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by EVEllie View Post
    I'm not positive on what edition we play.
    Well, if you're playing a summoner you're playing either Pathfinder or some kind of hash of Pathfinder and the earlier 3.5/3.0 material.

Your character sounds like a pile of fun, but one problem leaps immediately to mind (although I may be misunderstanding.) If the Eidolon only comes out when the Base Summoner is unconscious then it's kind of acting as a failsafe where Banner takes one to the chin and suddenly HULK SMASH! Which is great except that when the Eidolon gets beaten down your Summoner is suddenly going to be unconscious and surrounded by angry enemies. Sounds like a recipe for Coup de Grace. (If it's more like the Summoner choosing to flip a switch and unleash the beast like Jason Blood/Etrigan then disregard everything I just said.)

Since you said you were open to looking at other classes to portray this character, then I'll mention that your idea is very close to the fluff for a Deavic of Wrath.

And since you like making pits and it's already an Akashic class, you could drop a feat to pick up Ditchdigger's Armlets and make all the pits you want.

Akasha is the Pathfinder version of the 3.5 Incarnum system. If any of the other players are familiar they should be able to explain it if you have trouble with a new sub-system. It's 3rd party stuff though so definitely run it by your GM first.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    Your character sounds like a pile of fun, but one problem leaps immediately to mind (although I may be misunderstanding.) If the Eidolon only comes out when the Base Summoner is unconscious then it's kind of acting as a failsafe where Banner takes one to the chin and suddenly HULK SMASH! Which is great except that when the Eidolon gets beaten down your Summoner is suddenly going to be unconscious and surrounded by angry enemies. Sounds like a recipe for Coup de Grace. (If it's more like the Summoner choosing to flip a switch and unleash the beast like Jason Blood/Etrigan then disregard everything I just said.)
    It sort of works where the Eidolon can try and force his way out- for example he HATES casters, so if he anticipated a huge caster fight, he would try to force his way out(we've been rolling the summoners and Eidolons wills to see if he's successful). He gets bonuses to coming out if the summoner is scared or for some reason not as prepared to fight him off. The Eidolon believes he dies if the summoner dies, so he wouldn't start fusing in the middle of a bunch of enemies, since its a 1 minute transformation. He doesn't LIKE the summoner, but he isn't trying to get her killed, so in some ways he works to make sure she doesn't get destroyed when he's ko'd. Additionally he can use the summoners hit points as well as his own, to give him the option of staying out longer and potentially retreating, or leaving the summoner to deal with the problem. I hope this helps somewhat, and I'll definitely look into what you mentioned! Thanks a ton for reading through all this and your input!
    Last edited by EVEllie; 2018-08-30 at 08:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is a really cool idea, but you are giving up a lot of the summoner's ability. A synthesist is already a weakened version of the summoner just by the lack of action economy it gets. A vanilla summoner can control and melee in the same round while the synthesist has to pick one or the other. That being said, this reminds me of a DC super hero named Etregan or some such. It was a normal guy until he summoned the demon Etregan to fight. If I were to do this I might make a more cooperative relationship between the caster and the Eidolon rather than the trying to fight each other for control. It would be pretty nice if you could switch back and forth at will or some such thing. Like a combat might look something like:

Round one: Mia strategically positions movement drops backline bad guy in a pit

Round two: Mia calls Koss as a move action (I know it is supposed to take a minute, but you are giving up a tremendous amount by not being able to cast in eidolon form so I think this could be worked out), and dimension doors to back line

Round three: Koss Smash

Round four: Move action to switch back (if said back line is neutralized) and cast black tentacles to help parties front line.

Anyway, just a thought.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    Round two: Mia calls Koss as a move action (I know it is supposed to take a minute, but you are giving up a tremendous amount by not being able to cast in eidolon form so I think this could be worked out), and dimension doors to back line.
    There is an item, I think its called Eidolon Harness or something like that, which lets summoners fuse with Eidolons instantly. I was thinking of taking it, so in a moment where Mia's scared or whatnot, Koss can just instantly fuse(she isn't resisting). Right now we're trying to balance our party out and Mia and Koss are doing pretty well. Everyone took a nerf so i don't want to make her better right now and create resentment in the party. I do like the idea of being able to switch freely though, it would mean both get more time to be played and utilized! I kind of want to try and grow their relationship over time, so they can eventually be at the place you're talking about! Thanks a ton for the feedback on it though! Maybe when everyone's settled into their character nerfs, I'll pitch it to the team XD