New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bartmanhomer's Ultimate Random Banter Thread #219

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nope. Sugar is an amazingly good preservative.
    Right up until it gets wet, at which point it is primo bacteria food.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

In unrelated news, I am incredibly bad at comforting people.
    A tip for becomming a consoler: In almost all cases, the best thing to say is nothing. Just stay with the person and show that you listen to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Right up until it gets wet, at which point it is primo bacteria food.
    It's not quite that simple. Jam is wet, and the sugar still preserves it.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    A tip for becomming a consoler: In almost all cases, the best thing to say is nothing.
    If you had just stopped there, I would have been the world's greatest consoler.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    It's not quite that simple. Jam is wet, and the sugar still preserves it.
    Jam is also typically canned, which further preserves it. Honey, on the other hand, is pretty much just sugar and water and has an indefinite shelf life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Jam is also typically canned, which further preserves it. Honey, on the other hand, is pretty much just sugar and water and has an indefinite shelf life.
    Meanwhile, salt doesn't even need the water; it preserves itself just fine all alone

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Meanwhile, salt doesn't even need the water; it preserves itself just fine all alone
    So does sugar, usually. Not as well, but well enough.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Jam is also typically canned, which further preserves it.
    It is? That must be a US thing, then, because over here jam usually comes in jars just like honey does. Or are we referring to different things when we use the word "jam"?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

annoyed Re: Bartmanhomer's Ultimate Random Banter Thread #219

I'm fairly certain that my life is a sitcom written by an incompetent. I keep mentally going back and forth on whether to talk to people.

In more bantery news, I've decided to start writing stories again. So I opened up all my old drafts and yeah, I think I'm going to start something new and slightly less generic.

Also, jam is the stuff you spread on your toast that Americans mistakenly calll Jelly. I have no idea what cans have to do with it, because I'm agreeing that it comes in jars.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-09-11 at 03:38 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Also, jam is the stuff you spread on your toast that Americans mistakenly calll Jelly. I have no idea what cans have to do with it, because I'm agreeing that it comes in jars.
    Jelly, jam and preserves are all fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice. In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit. In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup.

What now, Brits?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-09-11 at 04:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm fairly certain that my life is a sitcom written by an incompetent. I keep mentally going back and forth on whether to talk to people.

In more bantery news, I've decided to start writing stories again. So I opened up all my old drafts and yeah, I think I'm going to start something new and slightly less generic.

I'm write stories too. But my writing skills and grammar are horrible.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Psh. Don't you worry about any of that, that's what editors are for.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It is? That must be a US thing, then, because over here jam usually comes in jars just like honey does. Or are we referring to different things when we use the word "jam"?

"Canning" refers to putting preserved foods in sealed sterile containers, even if those containers are glass jars. I'm not sure why.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Jelly, jam and preserves are all fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice. In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit. In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    "Canning" refers to putting preserved foods in sealed sterile containers, even if those containers are glass jars.
    Also this.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

It just takes time to get better. I have decent writing skills (my ex claimed they were good, but I've fallen out with her), but struggle with the story aspect. Got most of my grammar down, and I'm good at vocabulary and structure.

Just watching an American house flipping show, and the hosts remarked 'this house is a hundred years old, that's ancient'. Made me giggle, as I've pretty much lived in 100+ year old houses all my life, although not quite old enough to be listed (but my parents now own a listed property), with the exception being when I was at uni.

A show that I would watch is getting a bunch of American house flippers over to the UK to do up a run down listed property (they do exist). There doesn't seem to be a concept of a listed building over there in any way like there is here, and it would be an interesting look at the differences between English and American house culture.

Although they'd probably make it open concept, and that would make it a much harder sell. We seem to like our seperated rooms.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #195

Just watching an American house flipping show, and the hosts remarked 'this house is a hundred years old, that's ancient'. Made me giggle
    I feel the same way when I hear British stories and they're all, "I'm not going to go all the way to Store, it's fifteen miles away!"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel the same way when I hear British stories and they're all, "I'm not going to go all the way to Store, it's fifteen miles away!"
    Hey, that's almost the length of a small city.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, if I have to get into the car to get there, it's a long way away. Especially as I don't even drive. Can only do such a legendary journey if there's a train going.

Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It just takes time to get better. I have decent writing skills (my ex claimed they were good, but I've fallen out with her), but struggle with the story aspect. Got most of my grammar down, and I'm good at vocabulary and structure.

Just watching an American house flipping show, and the hosts remarked 'this house is a hundred years old, that's ancient'. Made me giggle, as I've pretty much lived in 100+ year old houses all my life, although not quite old enough to be listed (but my parents now own a listed property), with the exception being when I was at uni.

A show that I would watch is getting a bunch of American house flippers over to the UK to do up a run down listed property (they do exist). There doesn't seem to be a concept of a listed building over there in any way like there is here, and it would be an interesting look at the differences between English and American house culture.

Although they'd probably make it open concept, and that would make it a much harder sell. We seem to like our seperated rooms.
    What type of stories are you writing anyway? I wrote one Pathfinder story which happen to be a comedy. And my recent Pathfinder story that I'm writing happen to be an adventure. I also wrote other stories as well.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

What type of stories are you writing anyway? I wrote one Pathfinder story which happen to be a comedy. And my recent Pathfinder story that I'm writing happen to be an adventure. I also wrote other stories as well.
    I tend to write Space Opera or Cyberpunk (generally of the post- variety these days), with a little bit of High Fantasy (one of my favourite ideas I've had is to do a martial arts story in a pseudo-medieval setting, complete with wizened masters and academies), and a little bit of an attempt at a pro-science global warming themed story I liked but couldn't work out the characters for.

My SO settings tend to be relatively similar, using either FTL travel or reactionless thrusters* but not both (I've got a rough outline of one that uses both, but it spans thousands of years before FTL is developed in-universe). The current story I'm trying to write is a Space Opera, and FTL drives in it have the weird property of only working at Lagrange points (which is acknowledged in-universe to have been a pain to work out).

* stories in these ones tend to be confined to a single system, for obvious reasons.

Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I tend to write Space Opera or Cyberpunk (generally of the post- variety these days), with a little bit of High Fantasy (one of my favourite ideas I've had is to do a martial arts story in a pseudo-medieval setting, complete with wizened masters and academies), and a little bit of an attempt at a pro-science global warming themed story I liked but couldn't work out the characters for.

My SO settings tend to be relatively similar, using either FTL travel or reactionless thrusters* but not both (I've got a rough outline of one that uses both, but it spans thousands of years before FTL is developed in-universe). The current story I'm trying to write is a Space Opera, and FTL drives in it have the weird property of only working at Lagrange points (which is acknowledged in-universe to have been a pain to work out).

* stories in these ones tend to be confined to a single system, for obvious reasons.
    I would like to read one of your stories someday.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Firbolg in the Playground

As someone else noted, "to can" is a process of sealing something in a sterile environment to prevent it from going bad. Most home canning is actually sealing things in jars.

To be fair, I don't think I have ever lived more than 3 miles from a grocery store I actually liked.

There are occasionally house flipping or improvement shows that deal with historical properties (which some historical society has somehow managed to get their claws in to). Typically those have requirements about facade and footprint more than interior space. Oh, and most flipper shows annoy me to no end. About the only one I can stand is Rehab Addict, and she is mostly trying to bring the character out in old-ish homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

The first thing I said after waking up from my most recent time being under anesthesia was "you can put it in now" referring to the IV they had just taken out. They had to specifically tell me it was over.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's the old saying, isn't it? In Europe, a hundred miles is a long way. In America, a hundred years is a long time.

24. - Top - End - #204

It's the old saying, isn't it? In Europe, a hundred miles is a long way. In America, a hundred years is a long time.
    Well, it's an old saying for us.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    I come bringing spoilered cat pictures!

Spoiler
    Show

Oops, guess it doesn't show up as an image. Here's the linky:
    https://www.facebook.com/ICanHasChee...520400/?type=3
    "All your cheeze burgers iz minz!"

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The first thing I said after waking up from my most recent time being under anesthesia was "you can put it in now" referring to the IV they had just taken out. They had to specifically tell me it was over.
    in 2013 I had my abdomen put back together - long story, I might tell it someday - and after 10 hours of surgery - like I said : loooong story - the first sound out of my mouth were the delicate utterances of dry heaves.

as to the canning thing, I thought Mason jars were supposed to hold moonshine, AKA corn squeezins and white lightning. funny thing about that stuff, people drink it, but it is also used as aircraft fuel. Hmm.
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2018-09-12 at 04:49 AM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

I would like to read one of your stories someday.
    Maybe once I've got something beside a sorta-okay short story.

What do you mean? That saying's only been around 123 years, it hasn't even hit puberty yet!

Show

27. - Top - End - #207

Maybe once I've got something beside a sorta-okay short story.

What do you mean? That saying's only been around 123 years, it hasn't even hit puberty yet!
    123 years?!?!?!? it should have been retired ages ago ! ! ! ! !
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    "Canning" refers to putting preserved foods in sealed sterile containers, even if those containers are glass jars. I'm not sure why.
    Because "can" was originally just short for canister.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone else know that kids' song about a goober pea committing suicide via locomotive?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Kinda weird:

Last Tuesday, I way bodily assaulted.

That's what I can remember before I ran away from the scene.

Today, I got to talk with a buddy who was there when it all happened, and he got all emotional and even hugged me, which is very untypical for him.

Seems I'm as tough as lucky: That Nazi A-hole thought I was an easy victim and wanted to knock me out, something I managed to outlast, grab my stuff and run away.

Today, I heard that the young Turk I was talking with at that time tried to defend me and got more beat up than me before the rest of the crew dared to intervene before said a-hole pulled a weapon and tried to kill the young Turk (This being Germany, we talk about smashing a bottle of beer and going for the throat. Pretty personal and bloody, so the reaction is different)

So, normally, work is done, you commute how, grab a bottle or can and drink and talk with your buddies, before you head home, right? Now today was a bit weird and different, because they looked at me and asked me "you're well and alive?".