New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default [IC] The Magic Returns

All things move in cycles, the sun rises and it sets again. So to the moons and the tides. The River will also rise again.

Therostanes the Sage

I call cow flop!

Ogden the Drunk

Dawn comes quickly on the Amber Plains. Especially here in the village of Trask, which is part of the Enteri Enclave.

You've all been staying for the past week at the Graceful Hind, a higher middle class tavern. The owner Terrance Bramblefoot, a halflng gentleman of middling years seems to have taken quite a shine to you all.

Also, his daughter Wilma married a local fellow Tarvis Miller who owns the local flour mill and Terrance has been celebrating in the traditional halfling manner with a week long party. Including half price food, drink and lodging.

But, as you've learned generosity only goes so far. You've been doing odd jobs and such around the village to support yourselves, but your purse is feeling a bit lighter than you'd like lately. You glance around the table after breakfast to each other. Is it possible that it might be time to move on down the Golden Road?
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-02-26 at 04:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Magic Returns

The general appearance of the man speaks of the city. Darkly tanned face, bright, grey eyes, snub nose, little lines of irony about the mouth, andong fingered scated hands.
    Something about the set of his wiry frame betokes experience in street fights and tavern brawls. He is clad from head to foot in garments of rough dark rough brown and green leather, which dimmed to black in some spots . From his belt hangs.a slim sword, cased in deerskin, with a slightly curved toward the tip. Over his shoulder is slung a bow.

Turns mug over and only one drop comes out, then shakes coin purse.

"Looks to be time for another job?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The general appearance of the blonde suggests a girl that had only recently left the library to start work. Curly blonde hair, bright blue eyes, with an inquisitive smile. Her movements suggest upper-class, but that conflicts with the chest bearing dress she has on.

Yes, I believe it is. Even half price goodies, won't last forever. Luna comments as she gets up in one graceful motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Galena Stoutheart

Galena nods as she pats the pockets of her pants. "I was only given a small sum of coin to aid me in the acquisition of texts for the monastery. I need to save what I can for that task." She deftly throws her auburn hair into a single braid at the back of her head, stands up, and stretches her limbs.

"I am ready to leave at any time. I don't have much in the way of belongings to gather." Galena smiles and hoists her pack onto her shoulder before kicking her quarterstaff up into her other hand from the floor.
    Last edited by secretandsafe; 2018-02-26 at 07:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

With talk of leaving Or's anxiety levels go up a bit. He had promised a group local children he would tell them stories of his time as a soldier. These tales were, of course, almost 100% false or exagerated so far that if any of his comrades in arms heard the stories, they wouldn't know they were about times they had been present for.

Or runs his hands through his sun bleached hair and glances around the table at his companions.

"Has anyone found anything worth checkin' inta?"

He then immediately shows his anxiety by fidgeting against the table. His gauntlets making a rhythmic tapping noise against the wooden table. The anxiousness he feels at potentially breaking his word to a bunch of children that, in his eyes, idolized him, is deeply disturbing.

6. - Top - End - #6

Well not anything specific. Luna remarks. But this town is tapped out, and as far as I'm aware has no rare books. Everyone's got a copy of Kraken love. Eighteen chances. She adds referring to a completely inappropriate book.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Galena

As Or's incessant fidgeting begins to intensify...

It must be so frustrating to be powerless against your own mind... What could be so upsetting, anyhow? We have had pleasant dealings with the townfolk, the weather is fair, and our bellies are full.

"Or, are you feeling alright?" She gently taps the end of her staff against the backs of his hands to give him pause and looks to Luna.

"I'm assuming you've been to 'The Tattered Vellum', Luna... There were no postings there? If not, maybe we could ask Terrance for any gossip from the next town over?"
    Last edited by secretandsafe; 2018-02-27 at 01:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Stone

Stone looked at the others, "I have just enough for one last drink, who will join me?" Stone said with a big grin as his belly shook under the chain shirt he wore which was a little bit to tight at the waist.

He picked up his pack shaking it ,"Now where is that two bits of silver ? "

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm good. Luna respond to the prooffered drink.

And yes, asking Terrance seems like a good idea, want me to do it? She offers.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Stone

Stone looked at the others, "I have just enough for one last drink, who will join me?" Stone said with a big grin as his belly shook under the chain shirt he wore which was a little bit to tight at the waist.

He picked up his pack shaking it ,"Now where is that two bits of silver ? "

Takes out some remaining coins.

"Well, in for a copper, in for a silver, one more round for the road for those that thirst"

holds forth the coins and motions for more wine and ale.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zigbar, crochety middle-agreed gnome that he was, wordlessly continue to sip on the brew that he had been nursing for the better part of the morning. He appears to be deeply in thought, and those thoughts appear to be quite disturbed.

But what hardworking artisan wouldn't be, when the trade that he was most proficient in, namely practical application of the alchemical arts, was not quite as in demand in places like these as he had previously thought?

And so, the Gnome Artificer let's out an audible sigh, and continues sipping. Sure enough, the others are right. It's time to move on.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Lander holds forth the coins and motions for more wine and ale.
    A human woman with hair the color of weak tea steps up to the table and scoops up the coins before pouring Lander and Stone a mug of ale each, she smiles softly before heading back to the bar where Terrance waves at the group.
    Spoiler
    Show

Lander mark off 4 cp
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-02-27 at 01:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

In response to Galena's taps Or startles out of his ruminations. "Iz fine... Everything is fine." he says frowning so deeply anyone paying attention can tell everything is clearly not fine.

As Luna offers to speak to Terrance Or begins to nod while also standing up himself as if to tag along. He had begun to have a real softspot for the older halfling.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Galena gestures to the bar, indicating she thinks Luna and Or should speak with Terrance. She walks around the other side of the table to gain a clearer view of the street through the window. Still early in the morning, there are few yet out of their beds and about town.

Looks like it will be another warm day, Galena thinks, taking note of the already strong light of the sun and the lack of clouds.

"We should make sure we leave with full waterskins today, friends. Luna, Or, let us know what the innkeeper has to say." With that, Galena seats herself on the windowsill behind Stone, Lander, and Zigbar. Her legs crossed and her eyes closed, she clears her mind for a brief morning meditation.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by secretandsafe View Post
    Galena gestures to the bar, indicating she thinks Luna and Or should speak with Terrance. She walks around the other side of the table to gain a clearer view of the street through the window. Still early in the morning, there are few yet out of their beds and about town.
    In her brief glance, Galena notes that those about town seem to be more harried than this village life justifies. But, nothing out of the ordinary.
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-02-28 at 08:27 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Listen up," Zigbar snaps as he rises to his feet, paying the barkeep a modest tip, "You young'uns might be able to tolerate doing nothing, but idle hands are Asmodius' workshop. I'm moving on. I need to be doing something."
    Now Playing

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kulanah View Post
    In response to Galena's taps Or startles out of his ruminations. "Iz fine... Everything is fine." he says frowning so deeply anyone paying attention can tell everything is clearly not fine.

As Luna offers to speak to Terrance Or begins to nod while also standing up himself as if to tag along. He had begun to have a real softspot for the older halfling.
    As Or and Luna approach the clearly human made bar Terrance smiles warmly at them from atop a rolling cart. "Hallo youngsters. So, I suppose you're looking to move on? Well, we hate to see you go, but I'm not going to say I blame you. What kin I do you for?"
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-03-02 at 02:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or returns the short mans smile with genuine warmth and says "We're lookin' to get a move on, maybe find some other folks that need our help. Somethin we can do to earn our keep. Have yah heard anythin' of the sort?"

His face turns hopeful as he adds "Maybe even someone around town that could use an adventurers blade... or hammer in ma' case." Or then glances around the taller bar as if the person is merely hiding around the corner from the three of them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Galena quirks an eyebrow at Zigbar's outburst, suppressing a smile. "Aye, it will be good to be on the road again." She walks to the bar where the rest of her companions are speaking with Terrance, Or just having finished asking for news.

"I also can't help but notice a mild sense of," she pauses, looking for the words, "agitation or worry amongst the residents here. Why should that be, during a time of celebration?"
    Last edited by secretandsafe; 2018-03-01 at 06:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meriss View Post
    ....There's a commotion outside fading quickly as the people rush past the Graceful Hind.....

ooc

"What's that noise?"

"Excuse me, I'm going to see what happening outside!"

and goes to investigate.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zigbar ambles to the site of the commotion, with his thunderstick in tow.
    Now Playing

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kulanah View Post
    Or returns the short mans smile with genuine warmth and says "We're lookin' to get a move on, maybe find some other folks that need our help. Somethin we can do to earn our keep. Have yah heard anythin' of the sort?"

His face turns hopeful as he adds "Maybe even someone around town that could use an adventurers blade... or hammer in ma' case." Or then glances around the taller bar as if the person is merely hiding around the corner from the three of them.
    Terrance smiles again "Sorry lad, nothing but me back here. Trask is a pretty quiet town. Tarvis said he and few of the others will be taking some stuff to market when the caravansi come through. You could wait until they arrive. They can always use more hands on the road. Other than that you could talk to the Meister about becoming a Hoplite. You look strapping enough."

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

ooc

"What's that noise?"

"Excuse me, I'm going to see what happening outside!"

and goes to investigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zigbar ambles to the site of the commotion, with his thunderstick in tow.
    Speak of the devil and he shall appear or so the saying goes. There's a sudden BANG! as the tavern door bursts inward. "Oi!" yells Terrance "Go easy on the door! I don't want to replace it again this year!"

The portly human man wringing his hat of office rushes by Lander and Zigbar. Most of you recognize Meister Johann Freisen Trask's chief administrator. He makes a beeline for the bar and addresses Luna. "My lady! Oh, thank the Gods! We seem to have a group of squatters near one of the farms. Could you and your bodyguards deal with them for me? I'm a bit short this season and the nearest Hoplite keep is a good two days travel."
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-03-01 at 01:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meriss View Post
    Take (1d4)[1] bludgeoning damage as the door smacks you in the face.

ooc

"Ouch!"

holds cloth to nose to stop bleeding

24. - Top - End - #24

Or maybe a touch of the old magic? Luna asked with a wink her pointer finger extending up and shoot a shower of sparks.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting prestidigitation

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Or maybe a touch of the old magic? Luna asked with a wink her pointer finger extending up and shoot a shower of sparks.
    Terrance and Johann recoil in barely suppressed terror. "O- of course my lady. Anything you desire. I just need this solved. I'm prepared to offer you a lieutenant's commission in the Hoplites for your help. About three hundred and fifty gold pieces. What say you?" says the town official.
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-03-01 at 08:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Ehh why not. It's not like I've got something better to do. So, how many squatters are we talking about, and how dangerous are they?"

(Zigbar, Forest Gnome Artificer)
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-03-01 at 07:38 PM.
    Now Playing

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Ehh why not. It's not like I've got something better to do. So, how many squatters are we talking about, and how dangerous are they?"

(Zigbar, Forest Gnome Artificer)
    The portly man startles. "Master gnome. So sorry, I didn't see you there. I've not been able to get out there myself. Reports are varied. Some say ten, others say a hundred. You know how these village folk are."

Terrance glares at him. The official continues. "As for danger I'm not sure. Farmer Bosch said he saw some with weapons."

Spoiler
    Show

Insight check
    Last edited by Meriss; 2018-03-02 at 02:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zigbar stares him down.

"A hundred? You are going to need a small army for that, at least. You'd be deluding yourself if you think a hundred squatters can be driven out without any casualties."
    Now Playing

29. - Top - End - #29

Luna laughs warmly at their fear. By the gods, I just meant some charms to make them listen to reason.
    I'm not going to go in and start blasting apart civilians.

And sure, comission sounds good. Half now, half later.

Well Zigbar. Luna starts. We can always just scout it out first. She points out,

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Zigbar stares him down.

"A hundred? You are going to need a small army for that, at least. You'd be deluding yourself if you think a hundred squatters can be driven out without any casualties."
    The meister grimaces. "As I said this is a small village. Reports often get inflated in the telling. I'm certain that it's less than a hundred."

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Luna laughs warmly at their fear. By the gods, I just meant some charms to make them listen to reason. I'm not going to go in and start blasting apart civilians.

And sure, comission sounds good. Half now, half later.

Well Zigbar. Luna starts. We can always just scout it out first. She points out,
    Johann nods weakly. The official didn't have much choice. "I'm afraid I can only give you one hundred now; I've not been able to get in to my office this morning. Is that acceptable, my lady?"