New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stormreach A (IC) I

Phoebe

Phoebe still listens with some difficulty, and briefly snaps out of it when Foggy turns toward her. "Huh..? Oh my name! It's Phoebe. And as for my friend, her name is... uh.. in your language, Jessamine?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Paluk

"Hello Phoebe. Jessamine want some of the soup too? Would you be able to guide us to Last Chance?"

"Once the storm is over, I saw we head to the Open Palm for another meal. I'd be grateful if someone could then point me in the direction of the House Deneith Enclave. Someplace I could buy a map of the city would be helpful too. I hope this 'Traveler's Curse' isn't an issue inside the city?"
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe smiles and says, "Oh, Jessamine doesn't eat fish. She only really eats seeds and some fruits and greens. I don't even think I've seen her eat insects..."

"I'd love to go to the Open Palm again too. This place is.. it kind of makes my head spin," she said, referring to the way the building still lurched back and forth in the storm. "I hope this storm doesn't last too long..."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    Still pretending she's named Justina Minnit

'Justina' leans back in her chair, arms behind her head. She has a relaxed air to her - she's waiting out the storm just like everyone else and that's it. Clearly. "From what I've heard the Curse only really affects the wilderness. And even then, roads, or people who know the place, sorta counteract it? I 'spose the city just has too many structures and roads and people to ever get lost."

She then grins and gives a wink with her good eye. "But I'd stick with the pixie anyway if I were you. Stormreach is always the same shape, but it's downright confusing sometimes if you're new. Liable to wander down an alley and get stabbed by a Rat, or have your purse cut by a Flea."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #35

Paluk

"I've been warned of Fleas and Rats and I don't have an issue giving them a taste of real steel." He taps the pommel of his sword. "Best to get to know the city first before making enemies though. How long do these storms usually last? Not more than hours I hope. Don't want to be sleeping here when it finally decides to crash."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Besides the answers from Theordore I'm fine with fast forwarding.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe seems pretty confused at the thought of actual fleas and rats attacking people in the city. Must not be familiar with that terminology at all. She says, "I don't think I've ever seen a storm rain so hard for over an hour.. though... some can last all day, going from lighter to heavier rains again..."

"I heard people talk about that Last Stand place before. Never been there, but I'm sure I could find it. How hard could it be?" The pixie shrugs and smiles sweetly.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Stormreach, Harbor District

It's a hot and humid morning already with the temperatures climbing quickly as the sun rises. Despite it still being early in the morning the heat combined with the wet city makes for an unpleasant trip towards the Harbor District. The stench of the sewers greets you when you arrive and it's not long before you find Theodore sitting on a barrel under a tarp.

The laborers and deck hands are hard at work removing crates and goods from a larger ship that had just arrived. After nearly thirty minutes a small crate, about 3 cubic feet in dimension, is unloaded from the ship and handed to Theodore. The crate weighs about 40 lbs. A man of unremarkable appearance talks briefly with Theodore before he returns to the group.

"Seems easy enough, eh. The buyer wants some discretion on this delivery. When you get to Last Chance seek out Alask d'Jorasco." Theodore says briefly. "I wish you the blessings of the Traveler; the journey to Last Chance isn't an easy one. Else everyone would do it."
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

After eventually venturing out into the night drizzle with Paluk to the Open Palm Inn and getting some nice hot food and drink (and tons of motherly concern from Haddi Malewud) Phoebe actually felt pretty well in the morning. The hot and humid weather was something she was completely used to and comfortable in (especially considering how she was dressed), though the stench from the sewers not so much. After making faces for about a solid five minutes, she eventually got used to the smells.. sort of. The tiny canary perched on a post nearby.

"Oh, someone else from House Jorasco! This must be very important! Do not worry, we will arrive it safely!"

"Um.. are we taking turns carrying it, or...? I don't think I can move that..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-09-16 at 09:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke Brass

Juke had spent the night in a lean-to on one of his favourite rooftops in the Harbor District. The storm and rain had been refreshing, the humid morning weather less so. Now he was at the docks, watching the dockhands unload the crate the group was to transport to Last Chance.

Taking the crate from Theodore, he hefts it to get a feel for the weight. "I can carry it, but if there's any trouble, I'd have to drop it right quick. Any of you fine people any good with animals? We're going to need food and other supplies, so we may as well get ourselves a mule or something to carry this thing."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    In the persona of Justina Minnit

'Justina' arrives on her own after most of the group have already arrived. One might even begin to suspect she's not coming until she turns up right after the package has been unloaded. "Oh! That looks heavy. Yeah no way I can heft that about, so a mule might be a good idea~" she says in an almost sing-song voice. She's pretty happy that she doesn't have to do all the work. This type of job isn't really her specialty, after all.

She rests her weight on one foot and puts her arms behind her head. "Might be we can find something to lug this around at the Rusheme tents. I mean, if not a mule, then maybe a giant?" She grins. "Though I think the bigfolk prefer to be paid more'n you'd pay for a mule."

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #41

Paluk

The Open Palm gave Paluk some hope after all the voyage meals followed up by what passed as food and drink at the Leaky Dinghy. Before dark he got directions to the House Deneith Enclave. He started trying to learn the layout of the city in general. The Emperor statue when it wasn't hidden by fog would point him toward the docks. He picked an obvious hilltop in the opposite direction from the Emperor. Between the two landmarks he hoped to at least keep track of the docks, the Open Palm, and the Enclave for now.

Arriving at the Enclave he introduced himself. He was expected of course. A bath was made for him. Foggy's spell was useful but it didn't come close to hot clean water to soak in. He met several others of the house but between the late hour and his quick employment more discussions would be coming next time.

In the morning he found his way through the marketplace and bought some rations before eventually arriving at the docks. He greeted the others warmly. He was looking forward to the mission. "So, even split on the coin between us with a share for expenses?" Some necessary details to be settled was second nature for even a young member of the Blademarks.

The journey to Last Chance isn't an easy one. Else everyone would do it.
    Of course. The payment wasn't going to make him rich but this was a chance to see more of his new home. Who knows, if someone decided to interfere that could mean more profits for the trip. "Is the stuff breakable? Can it at least handle some bouncing?"

Once Theodore leaves and a mule is proposed. "I can carry it too but it will also slow me down some. A mule works. We can sell it when we get there if we don't need it anymore. "
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy
    Foggy awoke in his small slipshod weatherworn shack, the hovel’s floor was soaked from the night’s heavy rain that penetrated through the hole strewn thatched roof. He overslept a bit from the rough night’s sleep through the wet storm, but luckily he was able to reach the dock in time.
    “I’m sure we can lug the barrel if we needed to, but I agree that having a beast of burden would be in our best interest since it would allow us to save our strength in the event we have to face some sort of peril . So perhaps we buy a mule and some supplies and then make our way. Unless of course someone objects or has another idea?”

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

The pixie, not really having much else useful or constructive to say about the job, smiles and simply says, "I like mules."

14. - Top - End - #44

Paluk

"Let's do it then. Daylight is wasting away. Justina, lead the way to the tents? Know any of the merchants?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    Being Justina Minnit

Justina waves a hand, beckoning the others, as she starts to head westish. "Yeah, I know the way. South-west of the city, just over the river, you can't miss it. And... I might know a merchant or two. Depends who's there!" She grins over her shoulder at Paluk. "I've met a couple of 'em from time to time. Friendly bunch, mostly. Have to be to want to trade with Stormreach."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe happily follows the others wherever they may go. Her mood lightens even more as they get away from the fetid sewer outlets. Jessamine more or less follows too, perhaps as one might expect a curious bird to by perching on various vantage points.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy
    In a well practiced manner, Foggy's hands proficiently go about packing a few large pitches worth of peachroot smoking weed into his pipe. As his hands unmindfully go about the task, Foggy looks over and says
    “Fair split was mentioned which I whole heartily agree with, but It was mentioned a share for expenses? Do you mean we divide by another share or we each throw in a equal portion? A good mule can run any where from 7 to 10 gold, so it should only cost us a couple gold each.“ Foggy stops walking a moment so he can lean his pole arm on his shoulder so he can use both hands to light his pipe. Once the pipe is properly lit he starts walking again and continues by saying “Then again maybe Justina is friends with some merchants and can get us a good deal.

I myself use to have an amiable repore with a vendor, but eventually we had some irreparable disagreements, which led me to shop elsewhere.”

With an emotional cackle tone the large blackbird caws

“Cheated on Master. CAW! Broke Master's heart. Caw! If Addie see her, Addie peck her eyes and ...CAW! ”
    the Raven cuts off as Foggy rattles the Raven's polearm perch as he sends intense empathic waves of anger. Although Addie feels Foggy's internal displeasure, externally the half giant tries to appear calm as he nonchalantly puffs on his pipe before continuing to say in a mild tone "As I said, we had some irreparable disagreements... ” he Stokes his pipe a bit before shifting it over to the other corner of his mouth. He then attempts to change the subject "Also before we travel on the road, I wanted to ask you all a question. If a dangerous situation arises were magic might be beneficial to our situation or to our personal safety does anyone have an issue or objection with me casting magic on them? If so please let me know now and I will respect your decision. Otherwise, I will do whatever is within my power to aid and keep us safe. ”
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-09-20 at 01:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

"What's wrong with magic?" Phoebe asks nonchalantly, as if the whole subject was second nature to her. Well, technically it was, as it was probably the best explanation for her existence in the first place.

"You mean to say you might turn us into newts or dragons if we had to flee or fight... something?" She struggled for words, but did remember not too long ago there was some evil giant in the jungle commanding an army of bugbears. "I'd much rather be me."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-09-20 at 01:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Paluk

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkMongoose View Post
    Foggy
    “Fair split was mentioned which I whole heartily agree with, but It was mentioned a share for expenses? Do you mean we divide by another share or we each throw in a equal portion? A good mule can run any where from 7 to 10 gold, so it should only cost us a couple gold each.“
    "I mean another share. A mule won't be much true, but with danger comes costs of healing. It can cover food, lodging, and stabling the mule too. When it comes to selling to merchants I have a knack for getting good deals so that can help make up the difference."

"Also before we travel on the road, I wanted to ask you all a question. If a dangerous situation arises were magic might be beneficial to our situation or to our personal safety does anyone have an issue or objection with me casting magic on them? If so please let me know now and I will respect your decision. Otherwise, I will do whatever is within my power to aid and keep us safe. ”
    "Any helpful magic would be appreciated."

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Phoebe
    "You mean to say you might turn us into newts or dragons if we had to flee or fight... something?"
    "If Foggy can turn me into a dragon that would be amazing, and I'm sure House Deneith would pay handsomely for such skills!" Paluk's mind drifts a bit, thinking of the possibilities, but a near miss with impaling someone with his shield while walking through the lightly crowded streets brings his mind back to the present with a sincere apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Justina Minnit
    "Yeah, I know the way. South-west of the city, just over the river, you can't miss it. And... I might know a merchant or two. Depends who's there!"
    "Good. I like to get to know merchants and merchants tend to like being friendly to House Deneith. Do you find the Rusheme area better than the main marketplace?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"If it's gear for the trip you're all worried about, Thrifty Thom over in Summerfield is yer man. Don't recall that he sells mules though," Juke offers. "And if you're interested in guidebooks about the area between here and Last Chance, Havulak Prospecting's reputation is good."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy
    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Phoebe
    "What's wrong with magic?" Phoebe asks nonchalantly, as if the whole subject was second nature to her. Well, technically it was, as it was probably the best explanation for her existence in the first place. "You mean to say you might turn us into newts or dragons if we had to flee or fight... something?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Paluk
    "If Foggy can turn me into a dragon that would be amazing, and I'm sure House Deneith would pay handsomely for such skills!"
    After Paluk finishes speaking, Foggy with a hearty laugh says out loud to himself in giant

“Tusend fjell nul trut.”
    Spoiler: OOC: Translation from Giant to Common
    Show
    “A Thousand Mountains of Non-truths” which is a common giant saying that is often said when one hears something they find amusing and unbelievable. (could not find giant language but did find a list of wordshere )

Then with a chuckle Foggy says
    “Turn you into a Dragons, you say? Well even though folks say I'm touched with the Ol'Blood doesn't mean it is true." after his chortle subsides he tries to curb his group's expectations of his spells and abilities as he says “You see, my spells and studies have been primarily been focused on divination, the dream space and of course the dragon prophecy. So although I know a few transmutation spells there will be no spells to shapeshift you all into dragons. More likely, I can grant you a bit of information or insight....well...or flavor your beer and clean and dry your clothes “ he says the last bit with a wink and a slight smirkish smile.

As Juke starts to mention the various merchants about town, it dawns on Foggy that he has seen this rough looking human a couple times before around the city. Although he can not recall the details of where, when or how.
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-09-20 at 11:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    In the persona of Justina Minnit

Justina walks along casually with her arms held behind her head, listening to the conversations and not really interjecting. After all... she wants to learn as much about these people as she can, while letting slip as little as possible about herself. For now. Maybe they'll prove to be trustworthy enough to tell a few real details.

Foggy is given a grin. "As long as you don't try to read or control my mind, cast any magic you want. Magic is really interesting, and I'd like to know how it feels to be magicked." And also so she can maybe learn to cast it herself.

After a few moments, she responds to Paluk's query with a shrug. "Don't really got an opinion, to be honest. Rusheme's different from the main market. Dunno about better."
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-09-22 at 04:32 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Stormreach

And so it goes that our intrepid adventurers acquired a mule without much haggling nor debate. The mule in question, Terabite (after a terrible biting incident when it was a mere baby mule), seems most gregarious and eagerly takes to carrying around a box.

And so it goes that other supplies possibly were acquired, and if so, were acquired without much incidents as well. Several of the stormreach guards watched as the group left the city and perhaps an eyebrow was raised as well. South, the pixie led the group, and south west around the Bay of Xen'drik and deep through the woods. Bugs, terribly large mosquitoes, and other vermin pestered you. However the weather remained as best as it could for a jungle and after about two hours crawling through the thick of it a knock is heard from inside the box.

"Hey uh... can you let me out? I gotta go." a voice is heard from inside the box. The voice sounds male, and young.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-09-26 at 07:01 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

24. - Top - End - #54

Paluk

Paluk stopped and calmly drew his sword in case it was a trick. He looked to Justina. "No questions asked eh?" He swung his shield futilely at the bugs around him.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

The bugs didn't bother Phoebe as much as the others. Perhaps a combination of her being used to them and her fey qualities (can't wait for that DR/cold iron to officially kick in!). As she lead the group south, she happily picked some foliage here and there and wove some bits together with flowers. Slowly creating a new ensemble for herself, she still hardly wore anything at all, but at least she looked very cute and pretty.

Then the box thumps and speaks, and she exclaims, "Oh wow, a talking box! No wonder this is so special!"

She waves at the box getting all close and says to it, "Hi, what's your name? You are outside. Where is it you want to go?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy
    Foggy quickly glances over to Justina as soon as the box begins to speak, and closely watches her reaction to the young male voice in an attempt to determine if she knew there was something or someone in the box.
    Once he has judged Justina's reaction his attention shifts over watching Phoebe who is asking questions to the thing in the box.
    “So it seems our delivery is less of a inanimate thing and more of a living being.”
    He puffs a large plume of pipe smoke as he contemplates the situation, and to help keep the bugs away from face.
    “Why would they put someone in a crate?”
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-09-27 at 06:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungles of Xen'drik

The box replies,"Uh... my name is Joah. I was put in here to keep me safe. But I think I can come out now."
    Camel's Handbook

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

She looks at the box blankly a bit before that clicks. "Oooh you're inside the box... to keep you safe? Yes I think it's safe to come out now..."

Phoebe was still kind of confused why someone was put in a box. It was hard to fathom, really. "That's kind of weird... why would you be unsafe out of a box?" she softly muttered to herself.

She looked around at the others for a bit of guidance, or perhaps a hand opening the box since it was of pretty sturdy construction with no obvious way to open it, it seemed. Would likely have to be pried or broken open.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    Pretending to be named Justina Minnit

Justina is... very clearly surprised when the box starts speaking. This certainly wasn't a fact known to her beforehand!

Or maybe she's a really good actor. Who can tell?

She stoops down a little bit to talk to the... box. "Hey, Joah. My name's Justina Minnit. Do you know who I am?" she asks, quietly. Maybe this is all legit and he knows she's been hired to ferry him to Last Chance.

Or maybe it's not legit and he has no idea who she is.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"Only dead folk are supposed to be in boxes, boy," Juke growls. "We'll open the box when we're good and ready. So get to answering Justina's questions and hop to it if yer want out."