New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stormreach A (IC) I

Jungles of Xen'drik

"I don't." Joah says quietly. Somewhere, far away, the sound of a thousand birds flapping their wings is heard.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

Juke eyes Justina and shrugs. "Do you know where we're headed, kid? And who's meeting you when we get there?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungles of Xen'drik

"Alask can answer your questions when we get to him. I just have to piss. The last box had a hole in it for me, but this one doesn't." the small male voice says.
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe flies up momentarily to try to see the birds or what might have disturbed them. Of course, flocks of birds move all the time, but this seemed remarkably loud.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"Tie a knot in it, kid. Who's Alask and what's he to you?"
    Last edited by rax; 2018-09-29 at 12:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    In the persona of Justina Minnit

'Justina' stands up straight after addressing the box, and puts her arms behind her head. "Okay. Halfling male, adult, so not a 'kid'. He knows Alask d'Jorasco. You know, the person we're making a delivery to," she says, with a bit of a side-eye to Juke. "Sounds like he's on the level. We should let him out."

After a moment, she gives a grin that... doesn't do much to make her any prettier, what with the burn scar. "Trust me. I'm good with people."
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-09-29 at 03:52 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy
    Foggy puffs on his pipe as he contemplates whether he should support the group's idea of letting the Halfing out or suggest the idea of just using the spike of his Lucerne Hammer to poke a hole in the box to allow the Halfing to relieve himself;therefore, removing any risk in case he was lying.

As he ponders the two thoughts he suddenly feels Addie’s emotional cackles rise on high alert from hearing all the birds in the distance begin to flap their wings. Without saying any words or making any somatic movements, Foggy makes the large black bird on his polearm disappear.
    As soon as Addie is invisible, and the hefty raven feels his master’s emotional signals of alarmed concerned suspicion, as he has felt in the past, he takes flight. Addie flys up as quietly as he can as he tries to survey the area and see what could be disturbing the nearby birds.
    As Addie begins to investigate, Foggy's continues to calmly puff on his pipe of peachroot, but decides to speak up when his apprehensive cautiousness is confirmed when Phoebe also flys up to examine the disturbance.

“While Addie and Phoebe are investigating that near by starle of birds perhaps we should remain silent a moment or two while our scouts confirm or deny any incoming threat?”

Foggy awaits to feel if Addie sends emotions of exhilarated relief , worried fearfulness, or curious inquisitiveness.
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-09-30 at 08:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

Juke gives Justina a shrug and unlashes the crate from the mule, before carefully setting it down on the ground. He then leans in close to the crate and speaks to Joah in a loud whisper: "The giant's worried there's something nasty out here with us. You'll have to hold it in a little longer, short stuff."
    Last edited by rax; 2018-10-01 at 05:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Paluk

With Juke on the side of the pony with the crate, Paluk draws his sword and moves to the other side of the pony so there's a warrior on either side. He's then silent and watchful.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Somewhere in Xen'drik

The fliers have no problems discerning what disturbed the birds. In fact the entire group hears them after a quiet couple of seconds. Roaring loudly at the sky a tall green lithe looking creature with long claws and sharp teeth roars loudly at the sky, "TWINKLEDEEEEEEEE"

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Three more come busting out of the foilage, they sniff the air and quickly change direction, running at full speed towards the group. The one who moments ago had yelled at the birds, also suddenly sniffs the air, grinning madly he rambles quickly to catch up to his cohorts. It's apparent that they have scent, what with the sniffing, and the sudden direction change. They don't look like any creature you've ever seen before.

The rest of the group
    You haven't seen them yet, but you heard one of their screams. Followed quickly by the sounds of bare footed humanoids sprinting towards you.

Spoiler: Fogvrit
    Show

You know, thinking on it, the scream sounded sort of like the draconic word for "Supper". But missing several syllables and letters.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-10-05 at 11:41 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe's eyes grow wide as she spots them and she flies back down to the others. "They're coming!" she cries, pointing in the direction the humanoids sprung up from. Then she calls to her bird and seeming somewhat alarmed herself, Jessamine flies off and away somewhere just behind Phoebe.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante

Dilettante hears the scream. Her eyes widen, and she hurriedly reaches inside of her jacket to remove a dagger from a hidden pocket - twirling it around into an 'ice-pick' grip and adopting a defensive posture. Damnit, she knew she hated leaving the city for a reason!

"Hey, shortie, you any good in a fight? We might need some help in a few seconds!"

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #73

Paluk

Paluk quickly goes into combat mode and moves to be between the attackers and the mule holding the box with the halfling inside. "Make a line to either side of me and stick together. Phoebe, what's coming and how many? If you don't have any tricks from up there at least alert us if any are coming from behind." His neck glows briefly as he takes a fighting ready stance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Activate dragonmark Shield of Faith +2 for 1 min.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe whispers something to her canary somewhere up behind a tree. She calls back, "I don't know! They're big, green, and mean! Four of them!"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"You do that, Deneith - I'm taking the high ground," Juke replies, and then quickly climbs about ten feet up the nearest tree. Holding on with one hand, he draws a throwing axe with the other and waits to see what comes crashing out of the jungle.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungles of Xen'drik

As you all watch Juke effortlessly climb the tree the four humanoid shaped creatures bust into view. While they look vaguely humanoid their pathetic nature is apparent. Perhaps once humanoids whatever these things have become don't look likely to be reasoned with. Despite this, their speed is impressive and they move quickly to close the gap between the group.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Juke is at +15 ft. climbing in a tree
    Phoebe is at +15 feet hovering

Initiative:
    No one is surprised, full round.

Phoebe: 16
    Juke: 15
    Paluk: 5
    Fogvrit: 1
    Dilettante: 1

Spoiler: Speeding up Combat
    Show
    In combat in this game, you may all post in any order. I will resolve the round once everyone has posted (or 48 hours from this post -- anyone who hasn't posted will delay until the beginning of the next round), adjudicating actions in initiative order.

If what you plan on doing is contingent on something, you may use If... then... statements. Alternatively if you're very late in the round, delaying to the top of the next round is beneficial to assist in your decision making.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-10-07 at 05:20 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe continues to float higher into the treetops, making sure her bird is safe. Once finished, she turns to look down and watch the coming battle unfold.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Pretty sure I was behind on available actions anyway. Should be done after this. So using a move action to get about 30 ft in the air, then standard action to handle Jessamine. There is a "stay" command, but not exactly a "hide" command...

handle animal: (1d20+10)[26]

If it's a valid thing Jessamine should know, it's also a free action (which means my standard action is probably wasted). If it's something I have to push Jessamine to do, it's going to be dc 25 and cost a move action.

Assuming I get this working, Jes hide is: (1d20+26)[43] - anything for being bright yellow lol

Failing all that if it doesn't really work, I guess I'll leave the bird up there to her own devices.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

"Hey! I know what those things are," Juke calls down to his companions. "Ereg calls 'em "wretchlings". Says they can be found all over the jungle, but they ain't natural - aberrations, he calls 'em. I'm going to feed the first one that gets close an axe to his face, then I reckon I'll drop down help you lot break some heads."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Immediate action to activate ferocity (lasts 6 rounds, then sickened for the rest of the encounter). Juke gets +4 Str (=20) and Dex (=18), and a -2 penalty to ranged attacks over 30 feet.
    Ready standard action to throw his axe at the first wretchling to come within 10 feet.
    If readied action is triggered, follow with move action to draw his warhammer in preparation for melee next round.

Attack with throwing axe (1d20+5)[18]
    Damage (1d6+5)[6]

Crit confirm if necessary (1d20+5)[12]
    Crit damage if necessary (1d6+5)[6]

19. - Top - End - #79

Paluk

Paluk takes a step forward so that if the enemy charges it will be at him. He sticks his sword into the ground just to the rear of his sword arm, leaving it easily accessible. He then draws a throwing axe sheathed on the inside of his shield. A thrown axe should make them think twice about attacking. He aims at the closest creature and readies to throw it as they get close.

Show
    5' step to M13. Ready action to throw axe once the first one reaches 10' range.

Axe: (1d20+3)[18] crit: (1d20+3)[18]
    damage: (1d3+3)[6] crit: (1d3+3)[6]

AC 21
    HP 12/12
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy.

After the party has been warned, the invisble black bird flies slightly further past the monsters to ensure no other threats are lingering behind the leathery wrecklings.

As the serpent like hunters close in, Foggy shifts his pipe around in his mouth and bits down on it to ensure its secure. He studied the creatures briefly trying to recall any information he heard about them as he adjusts the grip on his weapon. He calls out
    “Watch out for their bite. I believe it's posionous.”

Show

Foggy readies an attack for anything that comes with in reach of his Lucerne Hammer. He will take a 5' step away if a wreckling gets within melee.

Knowledge (dungeoneering)(1d20+5)[21] For Wreckling Info -just realized I didn't put any skill points in dungeoneering so knowledge check would be untrained

Attack (1d20+1)[13]
    Critical: (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage (2d6+1)[3]
    Critical (6d6+3)[20]

In case Foggy gets an attack of opportunity due to his reach weapon

Attack (1d20+1)[20]
    Critical: (1d20+1)[13]
    Damage (2d6+1)[7]
    Critical (6d6+3)[35]
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2018-10-08 at 09:35 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante

Dilettante grips her dagger tightly as if for dear life. Oh Various Gods what even are those things?

Calm down, Gillian. You've got allies around you this time.

The disguise Changeling keeps her eyes wide open, poised to dart in to strike the first enemy she sees is distracted by another ally. Unless, of course, one comes right for her...

Show
    So Dilettante is going to move in to attack the first enemy to approach one of the melee fighters - preferably into a position she can flank it. Her move speed is 30 feet for reference.

Attack roll: (1d20)[13] Potentially plus flanking bonus if she can get into position.

Damage roll: (1d4)[3]

Inspiration: 2/2
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-10-08 at 03:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Jungles of Xen'drk

The wild aberrations scream as they charge through the jungle floor, their bare feet accustomed to the sometimes treacherous floor. Their movement speed is much quicker than you all had thought as you all barely had time to get your footing or take aim before they nearly overran Paluk.

Phoebe flies higher and tells her tiny bird who is even higher to hide! It Hides!

Wretchling charges Paluk and viciously bites into his throwing axe arm before Luck could get the throw off taking 5 points of damage. The second wretch, played by Shrek, has his charge path blocked and merely double moves to N13.

A thrown axe from Juke takes the Wretch in the head, and it hits the ground hard, helped by his ally (Wretchling) who barrels through him and charges Paluk with a bite! Paluk was still reeling from the first attack and has the Wretchling bite savagely into his neck for another 5 points of damage. Blindly Paluk hacks at him with his axe and he hits him hard and for a moment the creature hangs on but is finally given a fatal wack by Foggy and the creature falls off Paluk and onto the ground. Paluk is able to continue standing, blood and poison flowing freely from his wounds. However like a true warrior he immediately turns to the new threat and begins engaging the foe, distracting it for Dilettante.

Dilettante five foot steps to help flank the wretchling with Paluk and stabs him in the back for 3 points of damage however the creature barely seems to notice as the smell of Paluk's blood fills it's nostrils.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

Initiative:
    Wretchling (Shrek): 17
    Wretchling: 7
    Dilettante: 1
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-10-08 at 05:29 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Foggy.

After cracking the creature hanging off Paluk's arm, Foggy notices the massive amount of blood Luck has lost and decides to reach out and use a charge of his healing belt on the warrior.

Show

1 charge of healing belt (2d8)[13] used on Paluk

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe gasped softly as she witnessed her new friend being bitten by scary green monsters. Flying forward, she hoped the others would fend off the one currently in melee with the group and cast a little fairy magic on the approaching wretchling.

A bright burst of light exploded in its face, perhaps temporarily blinding it for a second or so. <Sylvan> "Leave my friends alone!" she shouts.

Show
    Flying forward enough and down to about 20 ft above ground, then casting Flare on the wretchling with a weird portrait (not Shrek).

DC 14 fortitude save or be dazzled 1 minute.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-10-09 at 01:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Dilettante
    As Justina Minnit

Dilettante lets out a sharp breath as her dagger finds its way into the creature's back. She snatches the blade back, flips it around into a sword grip, and takes a stab, aiming for what she assumes is a vital area - the creature's neck.

She has no idea if these things even have vital areas, but...!

In her head, she's desperately trying to file and catalogue away her allies' fighting styles.

Show
    Spending 1 Inspiration point if I hit to use Cunning Insight to add a +1 +3 competence bonus to damage (I don't believe I spend it if I miss):

Attack: (1d20)[8] +2 flanking Edit: Spending an action point: +4 = 14

Damage: (1d4+1)[4] + 2 = 6 (Edit: Guh it's +3 not +1)

Inspiration: 2/2 (-1 potentially)

Action Points: 4/5

AC 14

HP 7/7

I'd also like to use Cunning Insight on any AoO damage rolls if I get one.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-10-08 at 06:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

With an ape-like shriek, Juke launches himself from the tree, swinging his warhammer with both hands as he comes crashing down next to the wretchling currently struggling against Paluk and Justina.

Show
    Full round action to charge using Battle Jump.
    Juke lands in N12 O12 (if that's possible given terrain) or M12 (if O12 isn't possible) and swings at Shrek. If he hits, the attack does double damage.
    He needs to make a DC 15 Jump check to reduce falling damage by 10 feet. I did note previously that Juke was only climbing about 10 feet up (enough to charge a Medium-sized creature according to Battle Jump), in which case a success would negate all the damage.
    If you feel it's been established that he climbed up 15 feet, then a success means he takes 1d6 nonlethal damage.

Jump check vs DC 15 (1d20+9)[16]
    Nonlethal damage if necessary (1d6)[6]

Attack with warhammer (1d20+8)[28] - Yay! An honest to goodness crit threat!
    Damage (2d8+14)[22]

Crit confirm if necessary (1d20+8)[15]
    Crit damage if necessary (2d8+14)[28]

AC 17 (+3 from sharkskin armour, +4 from Dex, buckler not equipped)
    HP 14/14
    Last edited by rax; 2018-10-08 at 05:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Paluk

Paluk almost falls to the onslaught but hangs on long enough for the magical energies to fully heal himself. With the others dropping the creature in front of him. Paluk drops the axe, grabs his sword, and dashes off to the remaining creature and swings to take its head off.

Show
    Assuming N13 drops before it is my turn. If not, attack N13 with both sword and shield (TWF while flanking).

Free action to drop axe.
    Grab sword as part of move action to J11 (or stationary if N13 is up).

Sword: (1d20+5)[14] crit: (on 19+): (1d20+5)[11]
    damage: (1d8+3)[8] crit: (1d8+3)[11] Slashing

If attacking N13 instead, use above sword attack (-2 for TWF, +2 for flank cancels out) and this shield attack:
    Shield: (1d20+4)[9] crit: (1d20+4)[17]
    damage: (1d6+3)[6] crit: (1d6+3)[4] Piercing

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Example
    Show

Just so that it's more clear what I'm doing in combat here is an example for this round. Normally I'll put it with more fluff, but I just wanted you guys to know how combat is looking from my end.

Initiative Count 17: Wretchling bites at Paluk and misses with an 18
    Initiative Count 16: Phoebe cast flare and the creature passes his wills ave with a 17
    Initiative Count 15: Juke Kills a wretchling (although only doing 36 damage because doubling a double is only a triple and not a quadruple)
    Initiative Count 7: Wretchling charges Paluk, Foggy misses his AoO, Wretchling hits Paluk with a natural 20, fails to confirm, for 7 points of damage. Paluk falls to -5 but passes his fortitude save
    Initiative Count 5: Paluk successfully stabilizes rolling a 10 on a 1d100
    Initiative Count 1: Fogvrit heals Paluk for 13 points of damage. Paluk goes to 8 hit points
    Initiative Count 1: Dilettante's action isn't applicable; she delays until the top of next round (she took no action, nor used any resources). She acts first next round.

The flanked wretchling snaps violently at Paluk who is easily able to defends himself with his shield from the assault. Suddenly there is an ape like shriek from above and you all watch as Juke launches himself out of the tree he's in and slams the creatures head deep into it's body with his warhammer. The now lifeless body flies directly into Paluk sending him slightly off balance. Turning to try to defend himself from the last standing Wretchling he find himself unable to correctly position himself from it's assault. Barreling through a burst of pyrotechnics and batting away Fogvrit's weak wizardly attack, he launches himself at Paluk, saliva and poison frothing from his mouth like a wild beast. You watch as he takes Paluk down, biting savagely into his face. The creature looks up at the rest of the group and growls savagely, muttering "mzyg mzyg" over and over again.

Fogvrit you quickly activate your belt and touch Paluk on his foot, and Paluk's blood covered eyes quickly shoot open as he starts to struggle against the beast.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Initiative:
    Dilettante: 20
    Wretchling: 7
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-10-09 at 10:43 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Juke

Juke lets out a triumphant howl as the wretchling crumples beneath his blow, then leaps forward to try and smash the last of them into the ground.

Show
    Juke "leaps" to C3(? - the square directly above Paluk in the map) using a 5-foot step.
    Standard action to attack with his warhammer (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage (1d8+7)[10]

Crit confirm if necessary (1d20+6)[12]
    Crit damage if necessary (2d8+14)[16]

AC 17 (+3 from sharkskin armour, +4 from Dex, buckler not equipped)
    HP 14/14

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Phoebe

Phoebe watches anxiously as the last green goon seems to ignore her flashy spell and Fey commands. After it downs poor Paluk, she is somewhat relieved that Foggy magically heals him. Unsure what else to do, she hovers hoping they'll come out triumphantly without further injury

Show
    Guess if anything, just delaying. If Dilettante and Juke can finish it off, that means combat should end a bit early!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2018-10-09 at 01:37 PM.