New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Hexblade Swashbuckler

Hey GitP, I want to build a Swashbuckling Rogue with a level 1 dip into Hexblade Warlock for the CHA attacks. How could I optimize it? Best race? Spells? Other dips? Feats?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Hexblade Swashbuckler

Off the top of my head I'd say 1 level dip into fighter for second wind and fighting style, maybe variant human? Hex is a staple spell, of course, and the Hexblade curse should help boost the potential there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

If you go warlock 3, you can get darkness + devil's sight, but Tue abovementioned fighter dip is great (fighter 2 would also get you a lot). If you have the was for it, revised ranger 1 is perhaps the best dip in the game for a martial that is already missing their capstone. Stone sorcerer also gets you con AC. So, to rap it up, possible dips past warlock 1:
    Fighter 1 or 2 (or higher, but that can stop being a dip).
    Revised ranger 1
    Stone sorcerer 1
    Warlock 3 (devil's sight/darkness)
    Edit: two things in forgot.
    1: are you planing on sword and board or two weapon fighting? Both could work for this build.
    2: on armor, you are probably not wearing light armor (lets you keep you dex lower), so I would recommend stone sorcerer, medium armor, or hill dwarf + start as a fighter + heavy armor
    Last edited by Tauguy628; 2017-02-15 at 10:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

If going swashbuckler you won't need more than a single level of warlock.
    I'd start fighter if you want the TWF fighting style, vhuman if you want the feat to start with.
    Make sure EB is one of your cantrips so you have a ranged option. You won't qualify for Agonizing Blast for extra damage but as a swashbuckler that's more for secondary purposes anyway. Flavor them to look like magic throwing daggers to fit the Swashbuckler image.

Start with 1 level of fighter, then 1 of warlock for the cha to hit and damage.

I'd then take two more levels of fighter, go battlemaster for riposte/etc. if you feel you want it, then the rest swashbuckler rogue.

It'll delay ASIs/feats, which is why I recommend the vhuman. Alternatively, can take 1-2 more levels of fighter, 1 for ASI/Feat, or 2 for Second attack, then go Rogue/Swashbuckler.

Ends up Fighter 3-5/Warlock 1/Swashbuckler 16-14

Keep Cha as max, Dex next (Alert+Cha+Dex equals fun Init times), Con third, and ignore the rest.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 11:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    Make sure Booming Blade is one of your cantrips so you have a skirmishing option to really take advantage of your mobile swashbuckling features. Keep a few throwing daggers or a sling or a shortbow or something on hand for the times when you really need a ranged option and skirmishing won't cut it.
    Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-02-15 at 11:19 AM.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    I always forget about Booming Blade cause I'm a GFB fan in general for the CHA stacking, especially if I use Undying Light or Draconic Sorc.

Only issue I see with BB is that you can't take full advantage of TWF attacks, but it's still a solid secondary choice thanks to the Swashbuckler mobility.

Good call though.

So there ya go.
    Cantrip 1: EB
    Cantrip 2: BB

Ranged and Mobility options. Keep the EB as magic throwing daggers though. Unlimited magic throwing daggers are cool.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 11:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd be much happier with a utility cantrip like minor illusion or prestidigitation or mage hand or something rather than a ranged attack that will hardly ever get used because a) it will simply hardly ever get used because I'm a skirmisher, and b) I can't apply my sneak attack to it.... which I can totally do with a ranged weapon.
    Don't take EB as one of your two cantrips on what would primarily be a rogue build. Especially if that rogue build is a swashbuckler, who is a skirmisher by default. It would be a mistake.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-02-15 at 11:34 AM.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd be much happier with a utility cantrip like minor illusion or prestidigitation or mage hand or something rather than a ranged attack that will hardly ever get used because I can't apply my sneak attack.... which I can totally do with a ranged weapon.
    Don't take EB as one of your two cantrips on what would primarily be a rogue build. It would be a mistake.
    I disagree, especially considering the fact you'll be able to use Charisma for the to hit, whereas you can't do so with the ranged weapons, thus making your attacks more likely to hit.

In addition, you get up to 4 attacks with EB, thus providing you better damage, especially since you'll be using your Sneak Attack more often while in melee, not range.

I mean, if you want to have one attack at 1d4+dex+potential Sneak Attack with dex to hit when dex is secondary verses four attacks at 1d10 force damage with cha to hit with cha as primary, you can, but I think the other way provides you more consistent damage when you're forced into ranged combat.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 11:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You're a skirmisher. That's what a swashbuckler is. It's baked right into the class.
    By taking BB as a cantrip, you are now punishing the enemy for trying to follow your skirmish. You will almost never actually need a ranged attack. It will be extremely rare. For the few times that you may actually need a ranged attack, a regular weapon, just like every other rogue, will work just fine, and can also apply sneak attack.
    If you take EB you're wasting a cantrip choice, and you only get two of them.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-02-15 at 11:38 AM.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

10. - Top - End - #10

You're a skirmisher. That's what a swashbuckler is. It's baked right into the class.
    By taking BB as a cantrip, you are now punishing the enemy for trying to follow your skirmish. You will almost never actually need a ranged attack. It will be extremely rare. For the few times that you may actually need a ranged attack, a regular weapon, just like every other rogue, will work just fine, and can also apply sneak attack.
    If you take EB you're wasting a cantrip choice, and you only get two of them.
    You're right, you are a skirmisher. But in real world scenarios you need to be prepared for all contingencies.

What will you use more often as a skirmisher, ranged attack options when you're caught out of melee or without weapons and unable to fix that?

Or minor illusion that any other arcane spellcaster can also have?

It's about what's more effective, and the EB is a more effective option vs. minor illusion which you won't be using in combat much anyway since, like you said, you're a skirmisher, which means you're mobile and you're always trying to attack effectively.

Edited to Add: Plus you can get a rod of the pact keeper to make the EB even better as an attack option with +1-+3 to hit.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 11:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What will you use more often as a skirmisher,
    A utility cantrip.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

12. - Top - End - #12

A utility cantrip.
    Way to support your argument like I did with mine.
    But no, ranged attacks are more likely to be useful than a niche illusion spell anyone else who casts arcane cantrips use while you have the unique EB cantrip which allows you to multi target at range, and attack better than you would using daggers or a bow.

But please, tell me how, over the course of a campaign and dozens, if not hundreds of fights, how minor illusion and a dagger once a round for 1d4+dex damage is better than 1-4 attacks at 1d10 Force, with the ability to add +1-+3 to hit on them for those times you can't melee.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 11:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Way to support your argument like I did with mine.
    But no, ranged attacks are more likely to be useful than a niche illusion spell anyone else who casts arcane cantrips use while you have the unique EB cantrip which allows you to multi target at range, and attack better than you would using daggers or a bow.

But please, tell me how, over the course of a campaign and dozens, if not hundreds of fights, how minor illusion and a dagger once a round for 1d4+dex damage is better than 1-4 attacks at 1d10 Force, with the ability to add +1-+3 to hit on them for those times you can't melee.
    I've already supported my argument.
    You don't need a ranged cantrip because you will hardly ever need a ranged attack at all.
    And it isn't 1-4 attacks for 1d10 vs 1 attack at 1d4+dex.
    It's 1-4 attacks for 1d10 (avg 22) vs 1 attack at 1d4+dex+SNEAK ATTACK (which equals your lvl17 22 damage EB with 4d6sa at level 7 rogue - lvl8 with the multi).
    If you take EB on this build, you are wasting a cantrip choice.
    Feel free to do so, but don't try to convince me that EB is the better choice, because it isn't.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-02-15 at 11:59 AM.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

14. - Top - End - #14

You don't need a ranged cantrip because you will hardly ever need a ranged attack at all.
    And it isn't 1-4 attacks for 1d10 vs 1 attacks at 1d4+dex.
    It's 1-4 attacks for 1d10 (avg 22) vs 1 attacks at 1d4+dex+SNEAK ATTACK (which equals your lvl17 22 damage EB with 4d6sa at level 7 rogue - lvl8 with the multi).
    Feel free to do so, but don't try to convince me that EB is the better choice, because it isn't.
    No, you've made a claim, without evidence, that you will hardly ever need a ranged attack.

I disagree, as there are many ways for you to be kept out of melee ranged by opponents. Flight, distance, different surface levels (i.e. someone on a roof), landmarks or other terrain in the way which you can't make it through.

In addition, you could also be disarmed due to RP or other reasons. So if you have ways to guarantee that the above will never happen, or be extremely rare, I might agree with you. But since this isn't a white room, sorry. You can't make promises like that.

And you also assume you'll be able to use sneak attack at ranged. Swashbucklers ability to Sneak attack without advantage doesn't work since it's only viable within 5 ft of you. So how will you be guaranteeing sneak attack damage in a situation where you're already at a combat disadvantage.

So while you may sometimes get sneak attack on your ranged attack, odds are you won't. So the majority of the time it's 1d4+dex, not 1d4+dex+SA, vs. the 1d10 per EB attack that lands. Which will have a better chance at landing too based on higher Cha plus potential access to Rod of the Pact Keeper.

So again, I ask, how is it better to have a utility cantrip that others can also have that you likely won't use often and a single dagger attack that will hit less often and most of the time do less damage vs. an option that is almost always available, will hit more often and allows up to 4 different attacks vs. a single or multiple targets when it is available, and do more damage reliably than the dagger?
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 12:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Go ahead and take EB if you happen to play this type of build. Knock yourself out.
    But when you never use it, and in the rare instances that you do actually use it you realize that just throwing a dagger or shooting a bow would have been better, and when you find a situation where a utility cantrip would have been fantastic (but oops, you don't have one) don't cry to me because I warned you.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2017-02-15 at 12:12 PM.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

16. - Top - End - #16

Go ahead and take EB if you happen to play this type of build. Knock yourself out.
    But when you never use it, and in the rare instances that you do actually use it you realize that just throwing a dagger or shooting a bow would have been better, and when you find a situation where a utility cantrip would have been fantastic (but oops, you don't have one) don't cry to me because I warned you.
    So in other words, you can't actually refute my arguments, only try and use an appeal to consequences logical fallacy as well as attempting to beg the question, without actually providing reasoning into why your claim is better.

Concession accepted.

OP, in the end it's really up to you, but at least from a mechanical perspective, I think I've shown which option is better for you long term as a ranged choice for those times when you'll really need it.

Hopefully you'll have found some good ideas not only from the builds suggested but also the discussion we had.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2017-02-15 at 12:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

I wouldn't take more then a single level of Hexblade (and maybe fighter/ranger for fighting style) if you wanted to really emphasize the swashbuckler part.

With that said, the character really does seem to build itself.

A class with 2pts in charisma would be great (so half-elf seems like a great choice). Then you could put a point in Con and a point in either Dex of Strenght (whichever skills you use more in that campaign)

For cantrips, I'd personally pick up booming blade to take advantage of Fancy Footwork, and a utility cantrip for RP purposes (mage hand's always good).

For spells Armor of Agathy is always good. So is Charm person. You'll already be a great damage dealer, so I don't think Hex is necessary, but if you really want to pile on damage it's a good spell (and the other casters will thank you).

As for feats, I wouldn't pick any up until you maxed Charisma. As for what you grabbed, that'd depend. Dual weapon wielder is a minor defense/offense bump. The other feats are really going to depend on how the campaign is going.

18. - Top - End - #18

I would not waste points in Strength. Just not worth it.

Human variant and take war caster. Use a one handed weapon with shield.

I'd start out as a hexblade and go to level 5. This will get you dark vision, switch to improved pact weapon and take thirsting blade for two attacks. Take +2 to cha or medium armour master to get another +1 AC of you can have a +3 Dex mod.

Then go 5 levels into rogue with Swashbuckler at rogue level 3. Take one of the feats you didn't take at level 4 Warlock if possible. If your Dex is not able to have a +3 mod then take a +2 Dex or a feat that will add +1 to get you to a +3 Dex. ( The plan is to get to half plate without being at disadvantage and another +1 to AC)

You will have a great initiative and be able to get sneak attack vs one target.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

And it isn't 1-4 attacks for 1d10 vs 1 attack at 1d4+dex.
    It's 1-4 attacks for 1d10 (avg 22) vs 1 attack at 1d4+dex+SNEAK ATTACK (which equals your lvl17 22 damage EB with 4d6sa at level 7 rogue - lvl8 with the multi).
    Not that I want to intrude on a wonderful argument ... but from my experience I would have to disagree with your fundamental premise upon which you are basing your cantrip choices.

I have watched lots of strength based tanks (fighter, paladin etc) fumble around for some sort of ranged option when the opponents were not in range. The opponents could be firing down from windows or cliffs in an ambush, the opponents could be flying, the opponents could be on the other side of a ravine.

If you play in a campaign or other games where your opponents are always in melee range then I feel sorry for you in terms of the huge number of encounter situations that your DM is leaving out of the mix.

Anyway, in my experience with 5e (which is mostly Adventurer's League) it is NOT uncommon to run into situations where a character could make use of a good ranged attack EVEN if the focus of the character is melee.

Taking EB along with the first level of Warlock is a reasonable option to get at least some sort of ranged attack. In some cases, I would argue that the benefits of a second warlock level in terms of extra spell/invocations could also be very worthwhile (especially for Devil's Sight on a vHuman so they have at least some ability to see in the dark, which is especially useful for a sneaky rogue).

On the other hand, if the character has a decent dex to start with then they can just rely on a bow for ranged even if the to hit is a bit less. This has the added advantage that sneak attack can be applied if the rogue has advantage or an ally is next to the target. If the character starts with 14 or 16 dex and 16 cha then the bow is a decent ranged fallback for those situations when it is needed (though it does mean carrying a bow and ammunition).

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Not that I want to intrude on a wonderful argument ... but from my experience I would have to disagree with your fundamental premise upon which you are basing your cantrip choices.

I have watched lots of strength based tanks (fighter, paladin etc) fumble around for some sort of ranged option when the opponents were not in range. The opponents could be firing down from windows or cliffs in an ambush, the opponents could be flying, the opponents could be on the other side of a ravine.

If you play in a campaign or other games where your opponents are always in melee range then I feel sorry for you in terms of the huge number of encounter situations that your DM is leaving out of the mix.

Anyway, in my experience with 5e (which is mostly Adventurer's League) it is NOT uncommon to run into situations where a character could make use of a good ranged attack EVEN if the focus of the character is melee.

Taking EB along with the first level of Warlock is a reasonable option to get at least some sort of ranged attack. In some cases, I would argue that the benefits of a second warlock level in terms of extra spell/invocations could also be very worthwhile (especially for Devil's Sight on a vHuman so they have at least some ability to see in the dark, which is especially useful for a sneaky rogue).

On the other hand, if the character has a decent dex to start with then they can just rely on a bow for ranged even if the to hit is a bit less. This has the added advantage that sneak attack can be applied if the rogue has advantage or an ally is next to the target. If the character starts with 14 or 16 dex and 16 cha then the bow is a decent ranged fallback for those situations when it is needed (though it does mean carrying a bow and ammunition).
    A fix for this is to get to level 5 Warlock and be able to make your boon weapon ranged. Add crossbow expert with war caster and you can be in the fight shooting heavy crossbows in battle. All while using cha for hitting and damage. The bonus is you can cast in combat with no disadvantages.
    Last edited by MThurston; 2018-09-11 at 12:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by MThurston View Post
    A fix for this is to get to level 5 Warlock and be able to make your boon weapon ranged. Add crossbow expert with war caster and you can be in the fight shooting heavy crossbows in battle. All while using cha for hitting and damage. The bonus is you can cast in combat with no disadvantages.
    Pretty sure you can get a ranged pact weapon at warlock/3. The only pre-req for the Improved Pact Weapon invocation is having the Pact of the Blade.
    Last edited by JakOfAllTirades; 2018-09-11 at 02:52 PM.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Swashbuckler is melee.
    No need for two weapon and a wasted duel wield feat. Yiur bread and butter is
    1. Hexblade lvl 1. Gets your curse and charisma attack& damage increase crit 19-20. Only for THAT 1 weapon and hex spell 1d6
    Or u could go up in lock to lvl 2 fir invocations like improve pact. It only gives yiu +1/+1 and out on range. Or lvl 3 boon. To get magically created theme item
    2. Rogue sneak attack. Only on 1 attack. So really you should focus on 1 hit each round and move out. And repeat. As the second attack will not have that extra punch.
    Also if u duel wield you will have to go off strength or dex not charisma. Which becomes mad.
    3. Yiu want that 1 hit so asi and lucky is important options
    4. If yiu want another class to go with it. Paladin vengeance level 3. another curse for advantage attack’s.

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by QUARE View Post
    Hey GitP, I want to build a Swashbuckling Rogue with a level 1 dip into Hexblade Warlock for the CHA attacks. How could I optimize it? Best race? Spells? Other dips? Feats?
    One thing to be aware of is that the benefits of the Hexblade Curse only work off of your pact weapon. If you only want those for melee attacking, then a 1 level dip is fine. If you also wan to to apply it to ranged attacks, however, you'll have to go to Hexblade 3 and take the pact of the blade, then take the improved pact weapon ee to make a bow or crossbow your pact weapon. If that's the case, it's only 1 weapon, so you'll be fixed in either melee or fighting. If you're okay with it only applying to melee, then take a bow for your ranged option so you can still do sneak attack damage without the added damage from the curse. Do be aware that you'll need both high DEX and high CHA as you'll have two different attack stats if you go this route as you'll need DEX for ranged and CHA for melee.

If you only mean the Hex spell this won't be an issue. Just focus on high dex for accuracy with both ranged and melee attacking, which is easier to manage and requires only a single attribute to max out. Hex only needs 1 level of warlock and 13 CHA.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

24. - Top - End - #24

ElfRogueGirl

I've got more of a problem with the premise of the build...what's really the point of the Hexblade/charisma attack anyway? The initiative bonus and Panache are good, but not like "I must be maxed charisma ASAP" good. It's not hard to have good dex and cha. Particularly with Rogues getting an extra ASI. And if Panache is that important you should take expertise in persuasion...which'll go a lot further than the +1 you're buying with SAD. And you don't get to TWF with CHA on both...and TWF is a good thing to do on this character.

I get the Hexblade dip for other reasons, the curse is good (better with multi-attack though...), Hex/shield, Shield proficiency, Booming Blade. All find without cha attacking (or without cha at all, for that matter).
    Last edited by rbstr; 2018-09-11 at 04:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    One thing to be aware of is that the benefits of the Hexblade Curse only work off of your pact weapon.
    What? No. The curse works on all of your damage rolls and attack rolls against the cursed target. Are you talking about "Hex Warrior" instead of "Hexblade's Curse"?
    Last edited by rbstr; 2018-09-11 at 04:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by rbstr View Post
    What? No. The curse works on all of your damage rolls and attack rolls against the cursed target. Are you talking about "Hex Warrior" instead of "Hexblade's Curse"?
    Okay, I stand corrected. Thanks for that as I had assumed it had more restrictions than I thought it does. The part about CHA only applying to a single weapon is still tho.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    Pretty sure you can get a ranged pact weapon at warlock/3. The only pre-req for the Improved Pact Weapon invocation is having the Pact of the Blade.
    At level three you can only make melee weapons. You would need a magical crossbow to make it your boon weapon.

But you don't take crossbow expert for shooting crossbows.

It allows you to make any range attack next to an enemy and not get disadvantage on your attack roll.

So you are swinging it out with some knights and a wizard is about to fall. You can throw, fire or cast a spell at the wizard without rolling two dice to attack and taking the lowest.
    Last edited by MThurston; 2018-09-12 at 10:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Devil

At level three you can only make melee weapons. You would need a magical crossbow to make it your boon weapon.

But you don't take crossbow expert for shooting crossbows.

It allows you to make any range attack next to an enemy and not get disadvantage on your attack roll.

So you are swinging it out with some knights and a wizard is about to fall. You can throw, fire or cast a spell at the wizard without rolling two dice to attack and taking the lowest.
    Crossbow expert also allows for using a crossbow with the extra attack feature as it eliminates the loading property that requires a bonus action to reload, making a second attack with it impossible without the feat.

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfRogueGirl

Improved Pact Weapon will let you make a light or heavy crossbow. That is available at level 3.
    Last edited by rbstr; 2018-09-12 at 10:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by rbstr View Post
    Improved Pact Weapon will let you make a light or heavy crossbow. That is available at level 3.
    I had thought IPW was a 5th level invocation.

But it changed nothing why you take the feat. It's for casting spells without being at a disadvantage.
    Last edited by MThurston; 2018-09-12 at 11:14 AM.