New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default How important are high level spells

I am making a multiclass cleric bard starting with cleric and going into bard for roleplaying reasons. I rolled for stats and will be starting with an 18 in each of wis and cha after racials. The camapign will go to level 15 so I was looking at doing cleric 6/Bard 9 when all said and done.

My main question is how important are the level 6 and level 7 spells? How much more powerful are they than just up-casting 5th level spells and lower? I havn't played any characters above level 10 in 5th edition so I have no experience actually using them or missing out on having them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: How important are high level spells

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    I am making a multiclass cleric bard starting with cleric and going into bard for roleplaying reasons. I rolled for stats and will be starting with an 18 in each of wis and cha after racials. The camapign will go to level 15 so I was looking at doing cleric 6/Bard 9 when all said and done.

My main question is how important are the level 6 and level 7 spells? How much more powerful are they than just up-casting 5th level spells and lower? I havn't played any characters above level 10 in 5th edition so I have no experience actually using them or missing out on having them.
    They can vary dramatically depending on which spell in particular you're talking about. Out of curiosity, what made you decide on/lean towards Cleric 6/Bard 9? What key features are you trying to get access to in each class? That might help determine whether losing out on those higher tiered spells is worthwhile or not.

It also might depend upon what archetypes for the classes you're currently planning on moving into, what race you are, your other attributes numbers and what the party makeup is like.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It depends on the concept. The Magical Secrets that pop in at Bard 10 are very powerful, but if you don't need them then you don't need them.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So conceptually I am making a manipulator/mind control with some healing and support as more of a fallback/out of combat build using spells like Charm Person, Command, Suggestion, Hold Person, Enemies Abound, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern Dominate Person etc.

for my cleric levels I was looking at doing order cleric from ua as it fit my concept really well. https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters...ic#OrderDomain. At 6th level they get a second channel divinity and they get to basically regenerate enchantment spells, but obviously I would be giving up a lot to get that ability.

As far as magic secrets, the bard spell list already covers my concept pretty well, so I dont know that they are necessary. I am more worried about high level spells like mass suggestion.
    Last edited by clash; 2018-09-14 at 12:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by clash View Post
    So conceptually I am making a manipulator/mind control with some healing and support as more of a fallback/out of combat build using spells like Charm Person, Command, Suggestion, Hold Person, Enemies Abound, Fear, Hypnotic Pattern Dominate Person etc.

for my cleric levels I was looking at doing order cleric from ua as it fit my concept really well. https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters...ic#OrderDomain. At 6th level they get a second channel divinity and they get to basically regenerate enchantment spells, but obviously I would be giving up a lot to get that ability.

As far as magic secrets, the bard spell list already covers my concept pretty well, so I dont know that they are necessary. I am more worried about high level spells like mass suggestion.
    Probably the biggest loss for your character concept would be the lack of learning Mass Suggestion by getting 6th level spells, so I highly recommend picking up Bard 11 if you're going for this concept, then you can put the remaining 4 levels into Cleric so you still get some of the larger perks of that class as well, including Channel Divinity: Order's Demand.

BTW, just make sure to clear the archetype with your DM before selecting it because it's UA playtest material, not official stuff.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Other than mass suggestion, some higher level spells that you might miss are:
    eyebite, antipathy/sympathy, feeblemind, dominate monster, mind blank, power word: stun & kill, telepathy, weird.

The real drawback is missing on high level spells generally, and not just those that fit this particular function of your character (ie mind control/manipulation). Or in other words, it might hurt if you reduce your character build into mostly that function. And of course, delayed spell progression, that hurts too.

I haven't looked at the order cleric, but knowledge is also useful for your theme, have a look at it if you already have not.

Also, if your DM allows you, you could look into the diplomat feat (UA). It's not strictly speaking mind control, but it definitely helps manipulating people and situations. IMO it is an extremely powerful feat.
    Hacks!