New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Looking for a template

Hi guys, I am looking for a template (or multiple templates to stack) to apply to some NPCs for a campaign of D&D 3.5.

Desired abilities (in order of importance):

1. NPC becomes incorporeal.
    2. NPC becomes an outsider.
    3. NPC able to shapeshift at will (through a SLA or some other ability) when NOT on the material plane.

Do you have any ideas?
    Failing that, how much would you think that a template like that is worth in CR? And what if the NPC was unlikely to be encountered outside of the material plane?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ShadyRaven; 2018-10-10 at 08:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Looking for a template

Two Templates:
    -Vivacious Creature (Planar Handbook OR Manual of the Planes, I forget), LA +5, CR+1-3 (HD dependent).
    -Lycanthrope (Any) (MM1). It IS a shapeshifting ability, right?

Apply Lycanthrope to your favorite target of choice, and then apply vivacious to that. Lycanthrope lets the creature change its form, and vivacious makes it an outsider and incorporeal.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Mulhorandi Divine Minion + Phantom (MM5 p.130) would also work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well the incorporeal thing you can do spectral creature, and there is a half doppelganger template that can be added to humanoids. Though they can only turn into 3 humanoid forms each.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyRaven View Post
    Hi guys, I am looking for a template (or multiple templates to stack) to apply to some NPCs for a campaign of D&D 3.5.

Desired abilities (in order of importance):

3. NPC able to shapeshift at will (through a SLA or some other ability) when NOT on the material plane.

Do you have any ideas?
    Failing that, how much would you think that a template like that is worth in CR? And what if the NPC was unlikely to be encountered outside of the material plane?

Thanks!
    That bolded part is oddly specific. I don't think there's any shapeshifting abilities that don't function on the material plane specifically.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Dying and becoming a Ghostwalk ghost would take care of 1 and 2.

From there, I agree that being a lycanthrope or some other kind of natural shape shifter would be easiest. I think the cheapest way would be to have the NPC's first level be a commoner with the weresheep flaw. Being a Ghostwalk ghost on top of that, without any additional ghost feats, would at least make their shifting happen while they were incorporeal (they'd still technically be on the material plane).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Mildly cheaty solution to this: Cursed Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, with the curse being that it only works when you're not on the Material. Closest I can think of to doing something like this within the existing written rules. It sounds like you're basically creating a custom monster, tho, and you'd probably have better luck just going ahead and writing up what you want for yourself rather than try to hammer existing stuff into your particular weirdly-shaped puzzle gap.