New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Aklor IC (5e)

"Less than half a minute, I'm afraid." Feanir replies. "I fear we will be hard-pressed to find a non-violent solution soon."

From his position in the treeline, the archer calls out to you again, this time in common, but not quite as loud. "Would you really die for a handful of upstart ruffians barely better than peasants? You fight to well for so mean a fate. My liege would make good use of you, if you throw in your lot with us."
    ke palulu o ka pono, ka ihe o Ku
    I'm building a campaign setting! Latest update: Gnomes!

Hobhekili credit to linklele.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

(1d20+4)[20]

Jezean collects her winnings and turns back to the conversation. She calls out while approaching the Archer:

"Nobody needs to kill anybody. Even if they'll be mad once they wake up- mad enough to kill, even- one of you guys can talk to them, and say you've got some new members. I don't give a dragon's rear about your liege or whatever. You were the one working with these people you call 'lowlives' correct? And you shot one of us. Calm down."

Spoiler: persuasion, if needed
    Show
    (1d20)[15]
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-11-29 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaladan calls out, "And what sort of liege would that be? There can't be many men of noble status interested in hiring bandits to steal Ichor from the trade roads."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Zealot's rantings didn't sound like they referred to a nobleman to me. Or, not just a nobleman. This "Johr" sounded like a powerful mage at the weakest, or possibly a powerful fiend or a minor god."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-11-29 at 05:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

"He's a warrior, a strong one, and part dragon at that." The smaller of the bandits still awake speaks up, apparently disinterested in the game after his loss of 6gp(Jezean collects 12gp total). "But Rudlo over there doesn't serve him. He's one of the men left with us by Cormix, a mercenary captain who worked with us earlier."

On the other side, Rudlo responds to Kaladan. "You'd be surprised what nobles will do if they think they can get away with it. But no, my liege Cormix is no noble. He is one who hungers endlessly for destruction, and as this venture has turned into a pitiful waiting game, his hunger demanded he leave. And, unfortunately for those hiding behind you, honor demands no one be left alive to remember this farce."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

"Really? Being half-dragon is an advantage, but the thing your zealot friend was talking about, the whole 'tide we can't stem' thing... that's just from a warrior? Even if he's part-dragon, that's laying it on a bit thick. Most people only lay it on that thick when they're speaking of religious matters, if even then..."

"It's not talking about some sort of magic? Or... are Johr and Cormix working for someone else, who does have magic? ... That would explain 'will be recalled' and 'we only got to keep so many drakes.'"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-12-01 at 12:10 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157

The bandit splays his hands helplessly. "I can't really tell you. I got stuck on door duty, not the inner circle. Skitters over there" He points to the still sleeping whiny bandit. "might have some conspiracy theories about it all, otherwise, you'd have to go to the top, and talk to my leader, Arin Dream Claw."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arzanyos View Post
    The bandit splays his hands helplessly. "I can't really tell you. I got stuck on door duty, not the inner circle. Skitters over there" He points to the still sleeping whiny bandit. "might have some conspiracy theories about it all, otherwise, you'd have to go to the top, and talk to my leader, Arin Dream Claw."
    Jezean looks at the coins she won. Fair and square, they were also the money of bandits. Probably stolen from killed travelers and traders coming into the country. She didn't feel any connection with the coins she didn't swindle someone out of. She might not be too wise, and have some chaotic tendencies, but she had some scruples. The talk of this part dragon intrigued her, though she was not nearly powerful enough to fight such a foe. It would be best to speak with this Arin character.

"Odd name for a bandit. If you can tell us where we can find this Mr. Dreamclaw, and as friends and potential allies, by extension with your band, I will be in your debt. Probably a debt I would like to keep off the record books," she says with her hands on her hips and sighs, "My winnings from playing cards seem like a fair price for what I ask." she jangles the 12 gp in her hand as she bows her head politely, her chain mail similarly jangling.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

9. - Top - End - #159

"You might want to keep the coins." The bandit replies. "Dream Claw is further inside our hideout here, and he might be willing to speak with you. Trouble is, tensions between his men, that is, us, Cormix's "insurance", and Johr's men are almost at a breaking point. If you folks go in there, looking as much like adventurers as you do, things will probably get out of control." He looks at the dead zealot, then at Kaladan's arrow wound. "Get Arin out alive, and if you can swing it, the last few of us still inside too, and you'll have more than paid of that debt."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

"Last time one of you had an offer to speak with us, we were attacked. I will not fall for the same tactic twice."
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

"That was these two, though." Silence indicates the sleeping bandits."Speaking of, maybe we should move them someplace more comfortable? And covered?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

"And you would trust the word of their associates so blindly?"

13. - Top - End - #163

I lied about let you guys make the decision. Choo Choo!

As the party deliberates, time ticks on, and the two bandits Feanir had sent to sleep wake back up. They spring to their feet, ready to fight for about half a second before the notice the dead zealot, and the general rest of the situation. "Hey, I have a great idea. How about we run for our lives and hope nobody follows us? We could set up camp somewhere in the east. Far to the east."

The purple cloth bandits prepare to turn tail in run, but there is still a window of time to talk to them, or, if you want to get on Rudlo's good side, slay them. In two real time days*, though, they will make their escape, leaving the bandit camp's entrance all but unguarded, but the party in the dark reconnaissance-wise.

*Less if you guys just choose to let them go.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey, do we want to stop them from doing all of that? I'm not sure we do. Them setting up someplace far to the east seems like it resolves our disagreement with them."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-12-05 at 02:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaladan snorts a bit in frustration, small sparks emanating from his nostrils. He didn't like it, but it seemed the others were eager to solve this their own way. He would allow the bandits to pass, focussing on getting the arrow out from his shoulder in the meantime.

16. - Top - End - #166

The bandits scurry away unhindered, and a careful eye notices Rudlo skulking after them. One way or another, they won't be coming back to bother you. With that out of the way and 55 more xp under each of your belts, the part turns their attention on the now unguarded passage. From a cursory glance, you notice the guardroom is improvised, as the dimensions are a little too small, the floor starts to slope downwards in the back, too steep to fight effectively, and the door on the far end, leading further within, is roughly cut wood. By contrast, the rest of the building is built of solid masonry, including the hidden door you entered through. A lantern hangs in the corner, illuminating the room. Obviously, the bandits couldn't have made this hideout. Which begs the question, who did?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Jezean sits outside flipping her new coins.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any windows or arrow loopholes or anything near (or in) the door leading further into the hideout?

19. - Top - End - #169

No. It looks a lot like they just stuck a wooden plank across a hallway and slapped some hinges on it.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we see through or around the door?

21. - Top - End - #171

It's in the frame pretty tightly, so you can't see around it. There might be some small holes you can look through, or at least places where the wood is weak enough to make a looking hole. Care to Investigate?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Silence walks up to the door by a route so that he's never directly in front of the door. Are there tiny holes in it? I'd prefer not to make one if it can be avoided.

Or do I need to make a check for this?

23. - Top - End - #173

The door does not have holes designed for looking through, you don't need a check for that. If you're just trying to figure out if the bandits can see you coming through the door, they can't. The door is designed to block vision, both ways. It will require a check, though, if you want to find a way to look through the door, because, as said above, it won't be easy.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll do that.

(1d20+1)[15]

25. - Top - End - #175

It's not easy, but you find a knot in the door that had to be cut away, the wood is so thin now that you can easily cut it away with your dagger. Unfortunately, it's also pretty low to the ground, which is why the bandits never noticed it. Looking through it, you see a hallway, about 5' wide, and lit with more of the smokeless torches from outside. It foes straight for a bit, and then splits into a crossroads, with paths forward and to either side. Currently, you don't see anyone in the hallway.

Also, during your investigation, you noticed the hinges on the door are over-tightened and rusty. You can fix that with your thieves' tools, no check, or just leave it be if you want the bandits to know you're coming.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

"The door hinges are rusty. They'll hear us coming if we use them while they're like this."

Silence starts fixing the problem without bothering to ask the rest of the group.

"There's nobody watching the door. Presumably they thought the groups outside had that covered."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaladan approaches the door as Silence gets to work. "Then they won't be expecting us. Good," he remarks, preparing to journey forth to the unknown corridor beyond.

28. - Top - End - #178

Once Silence fixes the hinges, the door can be pulled open fairly easily and silently. Seeing the hallway in full confirms its small enough that you'll have to go in single file, as the sides are littered with broken pieces of machinery and statuary. It appears this hallway was trapped before the bandits got to it. There is another door at the end of the hallway, this one much sturdier, and fitting in with the design. Neither of the side passages have doors.

What order are you in, and where do you go?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Jezean takes the back and just follows along, while also looking around.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Jezean relaxes in the bodyguards' wagon, all carefree-like. She lays on her back, taking up much of the space, while also watching the rear. Her axes, as per usual, are held in her belt.