New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Path of War: Iron Tortoise with a buckler?

Iron Tortoise specifies:
    Maneuvers from Iron Tortoise require use of a shield in one hand. Animated shields are not allowed as they do not allow the full range of motions required to use these maneuvers. Tower shields may be used, but cannot be used to perform shield bash maneuvers unless the initiator has the ability to perform shield bashes with tower shields.
    Which leaves me with the question of whether wearing a buckler satisfies that requirement. Obviously it doesn't allow the shield bash maneuvers, but the rest?

Basically I'm building a Sanguinist (Medic Archetype), who's going to fight unarmed. They don't get flurry of course, so I was figuring to give him Two Weapon Fighting for the extra unarmed strike. That of course means he can't hold a light shield, but he can unarmed TWF while wearing a buckler. He loses the buckler's AC bonus when doing so, but he'll usually be using a Strike anyway, probably. It's just an extra option, and I might use Unorthodox Method to swap in Thrashing Dragon, so he'd need a free hand for that.

I could skip the buckler, but Medics have Iron Tortoise, and it seems a shame to let that go to waste.

So... Does wearing a buckler allow the use of non-bash Iron Tortoise maneuvers?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Path of War: Iron Tortoise with a buckler?

With the buckler bash feat you won't have to worry about that question. But a buckler is a type of shield, so it should be fine for non-shield bashing iron tortoise, even without the feat.