New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Adventures in Aklor IC (5e)

The pair of wagons rumble along the dirt path, heading north into Aklor. The first wagon is driven by a large mustachioed merchant named Jerard, and contains a variety of everyday trade goods, or so he says. The second wagon, driven by his bodyguard, contains five adventurers who have agreed to help Jerard set up shop, in exchange for no questions asked passage into Aklor. The merchant had been very proud of the route he had chosen, which supposedly will save much time by cutting through the Vershel Forest instead of going around. In any case, the group will stop soon to resupply, at the town of Sard, an old dwarven craftsworks that's been repurposed as a trading post.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Feel free to mingle, get to know the other PCs, and then we'll arrive.
    ke palulu o ka pono, ka ihe o Ku
    I'm building a campaign setting! Latest update: Gnomes!

Hobhekili credit to linklele.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Aklor IC (5e)

Jezean relaxes in the bodyguards' wagon, all carefree-like. She lays on her back, taking up much of the space, while also watching the rear. Her axes, as per usual, are held in her belt.

"Heyy, bodyguard guy." she says nonchalantly to the one driving the cart. "Can I get a bigger share than these other guys? I'm stronger than these other guys, and I'm also older than most of them. How about it?"

Spoiler: persuasion
    Show
    (1d20)[5]
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-10-13 at 03:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

3. - Top - End - #3

The bodyguard, a simple man who looked almost like a quarter-orc, just scratches his head at Jezean's proposal. "Uh... You saying you want a bigger share of into the kingdom? You'd have to ask the boss, because I don't know how that would work."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaladan snorts at the green dragonborn's error. Typical green, he thinks to himself. He had been silently mulling over various bits of arcane lore as best he could in the cart, but from what he could gather, the journey would soon be at an end. He stretched and yawned before adding in jest, "Quite the risky negotiating strategy, trying to increase your pay after already accepting the terms. If your employ were to be terminated because Master Jerard didn't like your offer, what would your next step have been?" He blinked unamusedly as he reaches for his waterskin to take a sip, looking around at the others. Strange times made for stranger travelling companions, but if it meant returning to Aklor, it would be worth it.

Spoiler: Other PCs
    Show
    If anyone wants to have travelled with Kaladan before, feel free to improvise the relationship they've had so far. Kaladan would mostly just be looking for someone to watch his back as he travels, or accompany others in exchange for his spellcasting services.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Maybe she wants to go further into the kingdom? Or in and back out? Can't think why anyone would want to leave Aklor though. That's where everything's happening, isn't it?"

The tiefling lazily glances around in all directions. Maybe if I'm the first to see a threat, I'll actually get paid.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-13 at 09:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Feanir decides to conveniently ignore that conversation. Instead, he stares intently at the trees surrounding them. I'm as glad to see trees as any elf should be, he comments casually. But doesn't cutting through a forest increase our chances of running into brigands? I hope it comes to no more than a disquieting thought...

7. - Top - End - #7

The bodyguard shrugs. "According to the boss, they got a road goes right through it. Doesn't get a lot of use though. Somethin' about prices."

As the caravan continues on, the group notices the forest closing in thickly on either side of the road. Soon, they see Sard in the distance, or rather, they see it's wall. The forest has been cleared away to allow for the town, but a large wood and iron wall closes it right back up again, with a huge gate set right across the roadway.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, money. The root of all evil, some good, and most of the rest."

Silence turns to the bodyguard. "So, this... Sard. Is it our final destination, or are we headed further into Aklor? Your boss has probably already gone over this, but I honestly stopped paying attention when he said we were going to Aklor, and I could pay in service rather than in coin."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"Keh." Jezean spits out the back of the wagon at the blue dragonborn's remark. "I would have a plan. Everything always goes my way. Can't say the same for a blue." she says with a smirk, or as much of one a dragonborn face can make. "I like the forest. I'm good with animals."
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

10. - Top - End - #10

The bodyguard chuckles at the tiefling's confession. "No, we're just stopping at Sard long enough to restock supplies, and maybe get repairs if we need's them. Boss says the best place for things to "take root" is on the road between Sard and that big giant mountain, so that's where we're going."

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Feanir moves closer to the front seat, wanting to get a better view of Sard. Then he politely asks the bodyguard, So, how long have you been working for Jerard, Goodman?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaladan merely raises a ridged eyebrow at the odd objection brought up by the other dragonborn. As the talk turns to Sard, and the walls begin to come into view, Kaladan also cranes his neck to try and get a better view without leaving his seat. Sard wasn't the kind of place he usually found interesting, but he did feel the need to stretch his legs. He listened in to the half-elf's conversation with the driver, curious as to what he might be able to glean.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Jezean relaxes in the bodyguards' wagon, all carefree-like. She lays on her back, taking up much of the space, while also watching the rear. Her axes, as per usual, are held in her belt.

"Heyy, bodyguard guy." she says nonchalantly to the one driving the cart. "Can I get a bigger share than these other guys? I'm stronger than these other guys, and I'm also older than most of them. How about it?"

Spoiler: persuasion
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+2)[19]
    A derisive snort comes from the huge minotaur as Jezean mentions being stronger than the other. He remains quiet though as he scans the surroundings for threats.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

Perception - (1d20+2)[19]
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

14. - Top - End - #14

"Two or so years. It's a living, but there's really not that much call for traveling merchants like us back home. 'S why we coming here. Needs will be greater, prices will be higher, the gates... should be opening..." He trails off.

Spoiler: Perception Result
    Show
    From what you can see, there's nothing hostile coming from the forest right now. As Sard gets closer, though, you see armed figures patrolling its walls, and a brightly colored dwarflike figure in front of the gate, waving wildly at you.

15. - Top - End - #15

The wagons roll to a halt in front of the Sard south gate, which remains shut tight. The brightly colored figure Kal saw earlier walks up to the party, turning out to be a fat dwarf wearing a rather loud red tunic, decorated in gold and proudly displaying the livery of Sard, a crimson fish on a field of gold. Curiously, he ignores Jerard entirely, instead making a beeline to your wagon.
    "Ah, excellent! You've arrived already. Curious, I hadn't heard the council finalize your payment yet. No matter, I'm sure we can figure all that out later. I am Delf, Seneschal for the town council. You might recognize my name if your company showed you my letter. By the way, is that fellow in front your supply wagon, or just a traveling merchant? As you well know, we can hardly be opening the gates for them, given the bandits. Bandits we hired you to take care of, so maybe we can open the gates to him, now that I think about it!"
    It's a little tricky to tell, given how fast and blustery his speech is, but Delf seems to have you confused for a group of mercenaries.
    Last edited by Arzanyos; 2018-10-15 at 01:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"opportunity knocks," Jezean thinks with a grin in her mind. She jumps out from the back of the wagon and approaches Delf. "Yeah, we took care of 'em good. Ran like a bunch of spooked deer."

17. - Top - End - #17

"Oh goodness! There were some on this side of the town too? Makes sense then, the delay in negotiations. I'll make a not to the town council, see if they can't up the pay for your... previous service." Delf seems to believe you well enough for now, but it would be a good idea to craft a story that will hold before the council. Or just tell the truth, but that might not get you the job offer.

18. - Top - End - #18

DruidGuy

Excuse me, Goodman, Feanir interjects, I don't know about this fellow here, but I have no business with the council, not yet at least. We've been travelling with Jerard, the man on that wagon, with the purpose of helping him. All this might just have been a confusion, I'm afraid. You seem to have a problem with bandits, though, what is the matter?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Roll persuasion to get him to tell us about the bandits thing: (1d20+8)[28]
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2018-10-15 at 02:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

"I- You- uh..." Delf squirms visibly as he realizes what happens. You see him straighten up, very official-like, presumably to tell you all off as liars and cheats, but he reconsiders, and instead leans in conspiratorially. His tone becomes a lot slower, and more secretive, almost as if he's afraid to repeat what he's saying. "Okay listen, I'm not supposed to say this. It was agreed that we'd hire a respectable group from outside Aklor to deal with the problem, and just turn away all the merchants. But, its been getting chancy." He pauses to take a sheet of paper and a quill out of a pocket, then continues on.
    "Since about two months ago, a group of bandits popped up, somewhere in the northwest edge of the Vershel. They've hit every caravan we sent out north to the Woundlands. Wiped out, so we don't know the location. More importantly, they've also hit the Ichor caravan coming down from Heaven's Wound to us, both months. We can't sell, so we can't buy, and with the surplus, soon we won't be able to craft either."
    He scratches on his paper for a bit, then hands it to Feanir. "The council won't send anyone out who they don't think can do the job. So, you'll either have to bluff your way through a meeting with them, or talk to one of these... prominent citizens, and get them to vouch for you. Do that, clear the roads, and I'll be authorized to give you and your pal there something for the road."
    Spoiler: The Paper (Spoilered to look nice, I assume Feanir will pass it around. Right?
    Show

Written on the paper are four names, and next to each one, what can be assumed to be their location. Also present are the words "Derro's Dive House Special", scrawled at an angle towards the end.
    Weylan Artias; Guards' Barracks
    Grizelda;The Close Cut
    Davmorn Zilrick; Sard Library
    Brother Edel; Kulamvar's Bestiary

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

Feanir looks gravely at Delf, aware of the trouble that bandits can cause, and the trouble that Delf can get himself into for that. After considering it for a short while, he decides that trying to help is probably the best course of action.

Thank you for the information. I assume that these are people that we will find inside Sard, aren't they? Does that mean that we're allowed to enter the town, then? I'll be happy to try and solve the situation. I'll talk to the others, but I imagine they'll be up for the task as well.

If Delf doesn't have anything to say that would continue the conversation (other than confirming Feanir's questions), Feanir will talk to the rest of the party, show them the piece of paper, and express his belief that they should help the people of Sard and that going to talk to the people written on the paper is, in his opinion, the best course of action.
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2018-10-15 at 05:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Silence does his best to smile. "I'm up to killing some bandits."

Hate to slaughter a bunch of enterprising businessmen, but if they're really going to starve this town out, what choice is there? Besides, this could be a good way to start whatever business I get into.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-15 at 07:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"These bandits must be desperate or reckless if they are stealing Ichor. Possibly even both. They could cause a lot of destruction even if they don't know what they're doing with it." This was reason enough for Kaladan to get involved. He peruses the paper when it gets handed to him, and finds the scrawled note at the bottom curious, but not the most pressing matter. "Speaking with this Weylan Artias should be our first step.
    He may be able to tell us more about who these bandits are and how they fight."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I've never known bandits to be considered smart, don't they typically refer to the smart ones as mercenaries?" Kal chimes in after looking over the note. As he hands it to the next in line he asks no one in particular, "So, we are to become mercenaries then?"
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, and the successful ones are called 'aristocrats.' But I can live with being a mercenary for now."

He turns to the blue dragonborn. "You mentioned that you can cause destruction with Ichor if you don't know what you're doing... what sort of thing might happen to the bandits if they mishandle Gods' Blood? Oh, for that matter..." He turns back to the dwarf decked out in delightful decadence. "Are we being sent to recover what the bandits stole, or just kill us some bandits? And are we expected to bring back their heads, or will you take our word for it that they're dead if we can make a convincing case?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    He turns to the blue dragonborn. "You mentioned that you can cause destruction with Ichor if you don't know what you're doing... what sort of thing might happen to the bandits if they mishandle Gods' Blood?"
    "I suppose it would depend on what they would intend to do with it, and how much they have." Kaladan reaches for the vial of Ichor that he carries with him, and holds it out for anyone to look at if they wish. The container is sealed, with fancy metal embellishments on the top, two roaring dragons' mouths. The chain that he uses to carry the vial extends from each of the mouths. The dragons themselves are of good craftsmanship, though the simple brass had clearly seen some better days, tarnished in some places. "With this vial I can amplify my own magic, but only within the limits of my own abilities. If I tried to push beyond those limits, the magic would run wild and lash back against whoever is using it." Once he's satisfied everyone who wants to has examined the vial, he returns it back to its preferred spot, dangling from his hip. "But the effects are difficult to determine without knowing exactly what they are doing. It could cause a blaze of fire, it could cause people to suddenly age, it might summon something you can't control, it might turn you invisible. Of course, the unthinkable would be if the bandits got their hands on impure Ichor. Power corrupts, after all, and Ichor is the power of the gods..." Probably not the specific answer the tiefling was looking to hear, but Kaladan couldn't give a better one than that, lacking the proper information.

Spoiler
    Show
    I just pulled some Wild Surge effects from the PHB to fill in what 'magical backlash' might look like. Let me know if anything doesn't fit the setting, or if Kaladan wouldn't know this.
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-10-15 at 10:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"dang it, these guys have no knowledge of how to run a con," Jezean thinks with a deafening thought of strangling Feanir. "oh well, I guess I just need to wait until these clueless guys are in another room to try making some gold."

"if it's so dangerous, don't just pull that stuff out like that! Stupid blue..." she exclaims mutteringly.

27. - Top - End - #27

Delf nods at Feanir's question. "Correct, they all reside within the city. As well, your group has been granted passage into Sard. Unfortunately, passage out is a different matter." He doesn't stay for the deliberation, instead making preparations to open the gate. As they swing open, you hear Jerard and Delf arguing loudly about the prospects of selling inside the city. Delf slips out through a side door, and you could swear you heard Jerard say something about a drink. In any case, the town is now open to you. What will you do?
    Spoiler: Wild Surges
    Show
    That's actually what I was using for inspiration too. And Kaladan would probably know that much.
    Last edited by Arzanyos; 2018-10-15 at 01:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Guy didn't actually answer my question about how we're expected to play this."

Silence shrugs. "Well, we can ask him later. Him or the council as a whole. I think we're going to have to talk to the people on the list he gave us... any opinions on which one first?"

As he speaks, Silence looks around for the Close Cut, the Library, the Bestiary, and the Guard barracks.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2018-10-15 at 01:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGuy

Feanir says, I agree with Kaladan that we should first seek Weylan Artias. Being a guard - at least so I presume - he is probably best informed about the bandits' whereabouts and methods.

30. - Top - End - #30

It's rather easy to find the barracks. On your way over, you notice that Sard is a kind of wide, short town, expanding mostly to the east and west. Something that must have taken a lot of effort, given the forest. Also, a lot of the buildings look like they were made, then retrofitted with another foot or so of wall at the top.

The watchmen at the entrance open the doors for you, saying that Captian Artias is in his office, in and to the left. Someone on the wall must have announced your arrival.