New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Practical Guide to Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Spoiler: Other predictions
    Show
    Black -> Dread Emperor
    Hanno -> Black Knight
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black has explicitly declared his intent to make an attempt on the Tower, so yeah, that's going to be one of the major subplots for the next book. I don't see Hanno switching sides like that, tho. He'd have to at least lean hard into being an anti-hero, let alone going all the way into being villainous, and that just doesn't really seem to be in his personality. Even with Catherine's example of a villain-using-hero-stories to lead the way. His method of operation may change and possibly his Name and/or some of his Aspects may change how they work because of it, but I don't see a route that leads to him taking on an outright villainous Name. Justice being disabled means he doesn't have them answering his coin-flips, it doesn't mean he's completely lost his ability to wield Light and be a Hero.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Justice being disabled means he doesn't have them answering his coin-flips, it doesn't mean he's completely lost his ability to wield Light and be a Hero.
    Yeah he straight up said as much :)
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah he straight up said as much :)
    Yeah, he just needs to keep being Hanno no matter what and the universe will narratively reward him for sticking to his guns, its Catherine that should be concerned with the storm thats coming, though her finally beginning to fit into a box that creation so desires her to be might be concerning, because she has been in this ambiguous state of evading this and that narrative box that a name could put her in and limiting what she could do, or she might've simply needed to keep rejecting lesser boxes until the universe had no choice but to make a new one for whatever she is, since she has done enough actions to avoid falling into previous paths and mistakes.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm shipping Hanno and Catherine a bit. He is one of the few individuals who doesn't treat morality as being a pair of sides, and is almost blissfully uninvolved in politics. His role as essentially a divine policeman doesn't involve the Accords, and his relationship with his Mom makes him more flexible then a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm shipping Hanno and Catherine a bit. He is one of the few individuals who doesn't treat morality as being a pair of sides, and is almost blissfully uninvolved in politics. His role as essentially a divine policeman doesn't involve the Accords, and his relationship with his Mom makes him more flexible then a lot of people.
    Black Queen takes White Knight?

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. Cat's driving purpose isn't to defeat the Dead King - it's to prevent conflict between Named from affecting ordinary people. Killing the Dead King is just part of her plan for doing that.
    Who knows, I've been wrong before - and recently.

Catherine's driving purpose is as you said. Her story, on the other hand, is one of a tarnished queen who rises up and destroys an ancient evil. Stories matter to the Named, their roles, and their abilities quite a bit.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2019-11-07 at 06:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It would cement her as not being archfiendish, legitimize her in Good's eyes, also Hanno is basically O-Chul and hence ruggedly dreamy.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Troll in the Playground

It would cement her as not being archfiendish, legitimize her in Good's eyes, also Hanno is basically O-Chul and hence ruggedly dreamy.
    Heh. This could spin in any direction.

Catherine the wanton seductress, luring an ardent knight into perdition.

Hanno the wise, melting the icy heart of the Black Queen and bringing her into the light.

Mind you, I'm all about General Abigail hooking up with Anaraxes - and them both of them finding matters too awkward to publicly admit to anything in meeting after meeting with the fate of the world at stake.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

Mind you, I'm all about General Abigail hooking up with Anaraxes - and them both of them finding matters too awkward to publicly admit to anything in meeting after meeting with the fate of the world at stake.
    "Evil Foreign Oligarch" is probably a peculiarly Bellerophon kind of kink.. of course anybody who finds themselves thinking such thoughts too loudly will get themselves kanena'd.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heh. This could spin in any direction.

Catherine the wanton seductress, luring an ardent knight into perdition.

Hanno the wise, melting the icy heart of the Black Queen and bringing her into the light.

Wait, what? That feels pretty crack shippy to me. Did they actually meet?

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda ship this scenario as well :)
    They would work well as co-founders of the named Academy.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Bugbear in the Playground

I kinda ship this scenario as well :)
    They would work well as co-founders of the named Academy.
    And Akua as the Dean of students, spending all day every day dealing with angsty teens and getting no respect. Could there be a worse punishment?
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-11-07 at 08:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, what? That feels pretty crack shippy to me. Did they actually meet?
    I don't think so, and I doubt they ever will. The mutual, internal cringing they'd generate would be a thing of art. A guy can dream.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    And Akua as the Dean of students, spending all day every day dealing with angsty teens and getting no respect. Could there be a worse punishment?
    I was thinking that the punishment would be the Redemption of the Doom of Liesse. That will be a story that will echo through the ages.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I love everything about the story... except for the editing, which is slowly but surely driving me crazy. ... Crazier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I love everything about the story... except for the editing, which is slowly but surely driving me crazy. ... Crazier.
    It does get a little better as it goes along (some of the early chapters, like the one where half the quotations marks were missing drove me up the wall).

Some of the problem is, I think, that as EE is being paid on Patreon, that, unfortunately, means there is more impetus for editing passes being time that's not spent writing the things that make the pennies.

I seem to recall EE muttering at one point about trying to get the books published one day. While I'm not in a position, sadly, to be able to fund anyone on Pateron, I'd snap their hands of at that, not least because it would entail an editing pass.

I half-expect them to do a pass maybe once the story is fully written. (At least there is always a help typo list for them to do it provided by someone every chapter.)

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Say, does anyone know when the 6th Book might start being written ?

It's been a little more than 1 month now since the Epilogue of the 5th book.
    Is ErraticErrata on holiday ? Is he/she sick ? Other known reasons ?

Not complaining : other series have been running for longer with far less chapters.
    But I kinda had made reading this story my morning ritual in the train.
    So... wondering when it will resume.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Say, does anyone know when the 6th Book might start being written ?

It's been a little more than 1 month now since the Epilogue of the 5th book.
    Is ErraticErrata on holiday ? Is he/she sick ? Other known reasons ?

Not complaining : other series have been running for longer with far less chapters.
    But I kinda had made reading this story my morning ritual in the train.
    So... wondering when it will resume.
    Info like that is usually found in the comment section, he will take a break of two months this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ErraticErrata
    And so we end Book V. As mentioned last update, instead of the usual month-long break between books I’ll be taking two months this time instead, as much due to the length of the last book as due to the need to begin work on my next project after the Guide. I’ll be making a formal announcement later on, but Book VI should begin on January 6th!

Thanks to all of you who’ve been reading the Guide, especially those of you who’ve been there since the rather humble beginnings of this project. It’s been a pleasure writing this series, and I hope it’s been a pleasure to read. I’ll see you all in January.

E.E.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-12-16 at 08:00 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Info like that is usually found in the comment section, he will take a break of two months this time.
    Thank you.
    Well, only à few weeks, then

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So doing a re read of the series and confirmed a memory that Robber has heard "The Girl who Climbed the Tower". Back when it first came into Cat's mind, Robber also recognised the song.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

So doing a re read of the series and confirmed a memory that Robber has heard "The Girl who Climbed the Tower". Back when it first came into Cat's mind, Robber also recognised the song.
    The relevant difference is between hearing it in your head. And hearing it because someone is singing it.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

Dread Emperor Footrest, first of his name.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The relevant difference is between hearing it in your head. And hearing it because someone is singing it.
    I'm having a difficult time finding it, but my impression was that Robber was recalling the song in a similar way as Cat, not saying that he had heard someone singing it.

I'll track down the scene later, but I know it's in the first book.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    Dread Emperor Footrest, first of his name.
    The biggest plot twist: Benevolent is actually Robber, not Amadeus.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-12-25 at 02:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Titan in the Playground

I'm having a difficult time finding it, but my impression was that Robber was recalling the song in a similar way as Cat, not saying that he had heard someone singing it.

I'll track down the scene later, but I know it's in the first book.
    And thats the interpretation im claiming are wrong.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

And we're back.

Note that updates for the final book are on Tuesdays and Fridays instead of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday like before.

Spoiler: Winter IV, Prologue
    Show
    And this is looking interesting. Seems like everyone spent that truce preparing, and you really, really do not want to give Cat time to prepare. Unless she on your side and you're about to see what the Black Queen can do when it's not aimed at you.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    And we're back.

Note that updates for the final book are on Tuesdays and Fridays instead of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday like before.

Spoiler: Winter IV, Prologue
    Show
    And this is looking interesting. Seems like everyone spent that truce preparing, and you really, really do not want to give Cat time to prepare. Unless she on your side and you're about to see what the Black Queen can do when it's not aimed at you.
    On one hand, I will miss the 3x/week updating schedule, but on the other I've not had a lot of reason to look forward to Tuesdays before - none of the things I try to keep up with update on Tuesdays, so that will be a welcome little change.

Spoiler: Winter IV
    Show
    It's really quite interesting to see the White Knight actually learning so much from Black, but the part that really got me from this chapter was something that's just natural Hanno: he didn't move to save the Repentant Magister. He was ready to do so, if he needed to, but he held back and allowed Nephele to protect herself, her way, and have a moment of personal victory in the process. Most Named wouldn't do that. They'd rush to be part of the Story, because action is the heart of their existence. Hanno did not, not because he didn't care about the Magister, but because he trusted her and that faith was rewarded by seeing her not only solve her own problems but stay true to her redemption in the process - with nobody to impress, nothing to prove except to herself. Yeah, I liked that.

Spoiler: Prologue
    Show
    It's a rare chapter that manages to make everyone - the victim, the rescuer, and the assailant - look badass. This prologue pulls it off multiple times. Keter really comes off as a genuine threat even in the middle of this Big Damn Heroes moment, so absolutely devastating that the best anyone has been able to hope for is a pyrrhic draw or a fighting retreat, and even those bloody achievements seem heroic in the face of the threat. And then, even as they're about to break from the strain, in comes support from two of the least likely places: Levant and Callow, two long-time enemies riding into help shoulder the burden. And, on each front, Callow is stepping forward to take an active hand in that support. It is clear Cat is throwing her all into this, even though this will only be the tip of the iceberg when things hit the fan.

Besides all that, it's nice to see Kilian again. I presume she's gone through the ritual that broke her relationship with Cat by now. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

So, yeah... All told, that was a fitting prelude to what promises to be an epic finale.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    On one hand, I will miss the 3x/week updating schedule, but on the other I've not had a lot of reason to look forward to Tuesdays before - none of the things I try to keep up with update on Tuesdays, so that will be a welcome little change.

Spoiler: Winter IV
    Show
    It's really quite interesting to see the White Knight actually learning so much from Black, but the part that really got me from this chapter was something that's just natural Hanno: he didn't move to save the Repentant Magister. He was ready to do so, if he needed to, but he held back and allowed Nephele to protect herself, her way, and have a moment of personal victory in the process. Most Named wouldn't do that. They'd rush to be part of the Story, because action is the heart of their existence. Hanno did not, not because he didn't care about the Magister, but because he trusted her and that faith was rewarded by seeing her not only solve her own problems but stay true to her redemption in the process - with nobody to impress, nothing to prove except to herself. Yeah, I liked that.

Spoiler: Prologue
    Show
    It's a rare chapter that manages to make everyone - the victim, the rescuer, and the assailant - look badass. This prologue pulls it off multiple times. Keter really comes off as a genuine threat even in the middle of this Big Damn Heroes moment, so absolutely devastating that the best anyone has been able to hope for is a pyrrhic draw or a fighting retreat, and even those bloody achievements seem heroic in the face of the threat. And then, even as they're about to break from the strain, in comes support from two of the least likely places: Levant and Callow, two long-time enemies riding into help shoulder the burden. And, on each front, Callow is stepping forward to take an active hand in that support. It is clear Cat is throwing her all into this, even though this will only be the tip of the iceberg when things hit the fan.

Besides all that, it's nice to see Kilian again. I presume she's gone through the ritual that broke her relationship with Cat by now. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

So, yeah... All told, that was a fitting prelude to what promises to be an epic finale.
    Winter IV: Hanno is PGtE version of Michael Carpenter, and is thus spectacular in all his scenes.

Prologue: Cue Sabaton's Winged Hussars.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Winter IV: Hanno is PGtE version of Michael Carpenter, and is thus spectacular in all his scenes.

Prologue: Cue Sabaton's Winged Hussars.
    Once again, Rumena is an amazing character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Once again, Rumena is an amazing character.
    Truth. Not many people can intimidate someone just by speaking with a flawless accent.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.