New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: VVVVVigil: Valorous Veterans Vanquishing Venal Vermin

[Moonwell Grove]

Wenomir throws his arm around Anika in turns and does cheer up a little. But then...

"A giant statue? Those things don't create anything, much less art. That might be one of those colossal constructs they used in Riverside."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

"I don't know, sweetie." Shanti admits as she smiles back. "But I've made preparations in case they do come back. I've talked to your father and he will make sure you're protected next time, okay? We just need to go down to the well again and perform a little ritual."

[Moonwell Grove]

"Oh, like one of those infernals? Demons at home use those too. But there was a really big one that screamed. Remember that, Wen? All windows just exploded." Anika attempts to demonstrate by parting all her fingers into what's supposed to be an explosion. "Boom, my hears were hurting for the rest of the fight so I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be in my body during that. These things are super-sensitive y'know?" She pokes at the tip of her right ear. "Blanche knows what I mean. We're ear-buddies."

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

Natharia perks up a bit at the mention of her father. "Yeah? What kind of ritual? Can we go now?" It's probably a good sign that she's managed to forget her injuries for the moment, but that said the pain is pretty deadened right now from her initial treatment.

Of course she's not done here, and Shanti will likely first notice the doctor standing nearby waiting for a good opportunity to interject. If Shanti doesn't look like she'll object, she'll sit down on the other side of Natharia and start prepping a splint for her arm.

4. - Top - End - #964

Moonwell Grove

Blanche cringes at the thought of infernals - they weren't something she was terribly familiar with, but the name conjures a very hellish and specific image.
    "Tons of fire and deafening noises, what a lovely combination. Maybe it's better that I didn't come here in time to take part, I might have been more of a liability than an aid - but it sounds like I missed some crazy stuff, like you two swapping bodies during the invasion?" Did she hear Anika right? She leans closer, her ears perking up curiously. She doesn't remark on "ear-buddies" outside of the flicker of a smile.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell Grove]

A grimace crosses Wenomir's face.

"I distinctly remember all of it, yes."

He doesn't seem to have an answer forthcoming to Blanche's question.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

[Library - Elves and a Monk]

Anika nods in confirmation. "Yep, Rain can make music about pretty much anything." She points at Calm Reed. "I bet she could make some awesome work-out music for you if you asked." Yes, lyres are known for their use in work-out music.

She then turns to the bard. "But yeah, this is Calm Reed. She got magical punches. Like, magic from actual dragons. A dragon monk pretty much."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

"A dragon monk and magic punches aren't inaccurate ways of describing me." Calm Reed can't help but be a little amused. "Is Vigil going to have an artist performing songs about our deeds? This seems appropriate, but I do ask you for restraint in depicting me. We monks are expected to shun vanity and adulation."

"Uhm... Like I said, I'm honored to sing the praises of such amazing heroes like yourselves... well, I told your commander that anyway..." Rain's eyes glaze over a little bit as she mentions said commander. So... dreamy...

She's quick to return to the present, however. "I'll uhm... try to be respectful."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2019-07-17 at 12:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

7. - Top - End - #967

Anika gives Rain a friendly pat on the back. "Don't worry, you'll fit right in, Rain! Soon you'll be a hero as great as any of us. Just do what you're best at."

Moonwell Grove

"Yeah, it was crazy! We all got swapped in the middle of the battle by some curse! That's not even mentioning the tiny demonic orbs or the undead creatures breathing stripper gas! Craziest thing of all, it was controlled by a tiny little winged person! She could fit inside my palm yet had a whole undead horde swarming the city." She turns to Wenomir. "Right, Wen? She wasn't even a demon or anything so it was weird."

[Surface Clinic]

Shanti glances at the doctor and nods. "Soon sweetie. You need to get your arm splinted up first. Then I can heal you and we can head right for the moonwell, okay? Patience is what wins the bounty after all." She gently squeezes Natharia's hand and then steps away to let the doctor do her work.

8. - Top - End - #968

Moonwell Grove

"Sounds disorienting, especially considering the height difference," is all Blanche comments, sensing Wenomir's discomfort with the subject. She had a hard enough time trying to walk in heels, surely the extra foot or so would be even worse! "Well, I guess I should probably get used to crazy. Not that I'm complaining, of course - service back home was all firefights and urban operations, so getting to team up with folks like you two is a very welcome change of pace." There's a second's pause before she addresses Anika directly. "Speaking of, did you still want to do anything else, or are you as worn out by this whole ordeal as I am?"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

Natharia sighs. "Fiiine." She's already impatient to be out of here. Then again, she's not feeling any pain right this second. It sure makes sitting here feel pointless.

The doctor, a halfling woman with long, curly, blond hair pulled back in a neat ponytail, nods to Shanti. "The injury isn't too bad, all in all. There's a slight fracture to the growth plates of your bone right here." She touches just blow Natharia's elbow. She adjusts her glasses and looks more at Shanti. "In regards to magical healing, for surface level cuts by all means. However, I'd personally suggest letting the bone primarily heal on its own, especially for someone so young. With a little assistance, it should only put you out for two weeks." While she's speaking, she starts to secure the splint on Natharia's arm.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell Grove]

"The demons were supported by more collaborators than just AMEN, yes," Wenomir says. "I thought only AMEN was dumb enough to work with them. That perverted pixie was captured by some local hero and handed over to the authorities, at least."

Calm Reed quirks an eyebrow. The commander must have left quite an impression.

"I'm sure you'll have no shortage of material," she says. "The members of this group get into heroic, life-threatening situations on a regular basis. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some reading I wanted to do. About the history of this place. It's... not an easy field of study."

11. - Top - End - #971

[Moonwell Grove]

Anika eyes widens when Blanche mentions the original reason that she had even come here as an idea seems to come to her. "Ohh!" She let's go of Wenomir and and turns to him while gesturing wildly at the grove they left behind them. "Wen! I think I figured it all out! See, among my people its common knowledge that when moon wells are misused, demons show up and that's exactly what happened now, isn't it? Their attention was probably drawn here when Shanti used the well for Natharia and since it was so close to VIGIL they might have assumed we had made some kind of living weapon or something? Or maybe they simply didn't understood why someone would use so much energy to make a child so they tried to kidnap her to find out."

[Surface Clinic]

"Patience, patience..." Shanti repeats at Natharia's continual sighs while the doctor is talking to her.
    "Hear that? That's why you shouldn't sneak off on your own instead of coming to me, sweetie. I'm afraid you have to listen what the healer says and be careful about that arm for two weeks. I can't do anything about it."

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

"I have to wear this for two weeks? But how am I supposed to do stuff?" Natharia complains. It's her right arm, too!

"Two weeks will be past before you know it." The doctor assures her as she finished putting the splint in place. "Now your arm will probably start to hurt later today. That's normal, but you can take some over the counter painkillers if it's bothering you too much. Your mom can help with that. The only thing left to do now is wait." She leans back and grabs a bowl of brightly coloured candy. "You're not too old for a lollipop, are you?"

Natharia, still with a pout, reaches out and grabs a green one and pops it in her mouth. "Thanks..."

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell Grove]

"That... doesn't sound too likely," Wenomir says, slowly, as he rubs the back of his neck. "Shanti messed about with the well a while ago, but the demons only appeared today. But this doesn't look like just an attack of opportunity. They could've done that any time."

14. - Top - End - #974

[Moonwell Grove]

Wenomir's reply seems to bring Anika pause as she looks down contemplatively at the ground. But it apparently doesn't take too long before she has an answer which she signals with a raised index finger. "The demons don't usually appear instantly when wells are being messed with." She smiles confidently at Wenomir. "I actually asked my mentor about this and he said that the massive amount of arcane power used just catches their attention. He explained it was like how you can see the smoke before the fire that produced it and the larger the fire, the more smoke it produces. So Shanti was essentially making smoke signals when she messed with the well, but when the demons came to investigate them she was probably back in VIGIL so they would probably have put the well under surveillance to figure out what had been making them. So when I and Blanche returned to the well, whatever spies they had out there must have spotted us and they decided to send a force to catch us while we were trying to set up the ritual." She grins widely at Wenomir, seemingly rather proud of her own deduction. "I mean, they would have probably waited longer but I figure they though we wouldn't be there for very long and that this might be their only chance to catch us."

As if the mystery has already been solved (by her) she continues. "We should probably be glad that she didn't try to do more with the well or demons outside this plane would probably have seen it too! That happen in my world y'know?" The druid turns to Blanche and gives her a look as if to tell the catgirl that this is serious business.

[Surface Clinic]

"You still have two legs and another arm, sweetie. There are plenty of things you can do that. You're lucky that you didn't suffer more severe injuries, frankly." Shanti let's out a relived sigh. "But now that you're healing, we probably should figure out some long term plans for you."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-07-18 at 01:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

Natharia sighs and pushes off from her seat. "What kinda plans?" She'll follow her mom out of the clinic and wherever she leads.

16. - Top - End - #976

Moonwell Grove

it seems that Anika might be more eloquent than most would give her credit for; for once, Blanche actually manages to understand an arcane aspect fairly well. But perhaps there's still a couple aspects that she doesn't quite get, brow furrowing as she dwells upon them for a second. "Something doesn't add up."

"Okay, let's say the demons detected that burst of power and chose to investigate. If there's really so much of a delay in how quickly they can investigate that they completely missed catching sight of Shantariel and the ritual itself, then they wouldn't have known that Natharia was the result of the ritual for sure - which would explain attempting to abduct us, because then their only lead on who did the ritual would have been the folks setting up a new one." She pauses briefly. "But they didn't go after us - they went after the kid. We were were talking in a secluded area that would have been perfect for an ambush, but instead they gated in right on top of the well where Shanti and Natharia were, and specifically chased after the kid when she fled."

Blanche's tone and expression harden slightly - and it's not just because the very idea of trying to abduct or hurt the child continues to anger her, her gaze turning to Wenomir. "Either their surveillance was more intrusive than just keeping an eye on the place, or they've been watching us long before the ritual caught their eye."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

[Moonwell Grove]

Wenomir continues to look unconvinced, but just as he's about to suggest dropping it for now and asking Shanti for more information, Blanche says something concerning. His features darken.

"Neither of those possibilities are very pleasant. And the business with the snake-deity was enough of a headache without the demons getting involved in it."

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Village Walk]

"This shouldn't be necessary. Let me see if I can raise one of them."

Arinema uses her communicator to try and get in touch with the commanders. Now to wait and see if one of them has a moment...
    [Village Walk]

"Of course," Reinholdt says, looking around. Now he just has to wait! Silently. Without falling asleep.

"Sooo, a lot of people actually live here huh?"
    Rein's never been good at the silently part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #979

Moonwell Grove==> Heading for VIGIL

Anika is too caught up in the mystery to just stop it seems and Blanche's speculations only seem to give her fuel.
    She nods thoughtfully at the catgirl. "Maybe they caught sight of Natharia shortly before we left the grove and couldn't muster an attack force large enough to take us before we left for VIGIL. Not to mention that Wen was there as well, so they knew they'd be having big trouble doing anything. They just realized that she must have been the result of all the smoke they were seeing. So maybe they were both watching the well and Natharia." She speculates and turns back to Wenomir. "Maybe we should ask Natharia a few questions, if she's seen anything strange or whatever."

[Surface Clinic]

Shanti gently places her hand on Natharia's shoulder. "I already just mentioned the safety ritual I wanted to perform for you, but there was also something else. I really think you should get to engage with kids in your age more and there are places where you could. Would that interest you, sweetie? Not having to hang out here all day." Her mother suggests with a smile.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

"I guess. It's kinda boring here." Natharia says with some nonchalance, but Shanti has peaked her interest. She's spent a lot of time around these stuffy adults. Maybe kids her age would be more fun.

21. - Top - End - #981

To VIGIL's House We Go

"Whenever or wherever they've been spying on us, we should have anticipated it," Blanche states with a shrug. "They were going to try and strike back at us at some point or another." While the words could be taken as some sort of accusation, there doesn't seem to be any criticism in her tone.

She leans forward to better address Wenomir, tugging on the strap of her rifle to keep it secure. "Er, sir, if I may ask, what exactly is all this business with the snake deity? I don't know much about what's going on here."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

[Heading for VIGIL]

"That makes two of us," Wenomir says glumly to Blanche. "Shanti serves some kind of snake-deity, and creating children out of moon wells is something it wants. To increase this power, I think. We definitely do need to speak with Shanti and Natharia once we've arrived."

23. - Top - End - #983

[Heading for VIGIL]

"Best we hurry then before they slip away then." Anika jokes.

The rest of the trip can probably be handwaved. Blanche and Wenomir can post trying to meet up with Natharia and Shanti in the next posts.

[Surface Clinic]

Shanti smiles and leans close to Natharia. "Good. We will have to go elsewhere for the ritual though, but don't tell anyone that." Her mother whispers. "But we need to go to mallside before we go anywhere. You will need some new clothes."

[Village Walk]

Well, as it turns out, Cessie burned down her own office after some kind of incident with a skin walker so she has an temporary one in the barracks while it's being rebuilt.

However, once refurnished the room in the barrack look almost identical to what her standard office looked like.
    An elemental will open the door for them once they knock. Cessie in her chair, giving Rein a puzzled look. "Reinholdt, that wasn't yesterday. Come on in." She gestures at some empty seats.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-07-20 at 09:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

[Heading for VIGIL] ==> [Surface Clinic]

"I'll let Shanti clear it up. She had better," Wenomir says, and leads the way to the clinic, where Gwaeria watches Shanti and Natharia suspiciously. She has taken her helmet off now, revealing an orange-skinned head adorned with red leaves.

"Good to see you're safe, Natharia," the warrior says as the rest of the party return. "And I believe we have much to discuss, Shanti."

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

Natharia nods, clearly curious, but she holds her questions in for now. When Wenomir and crew arrive, Natharia looks at them with a guarded expression. Anika in particular gets a glower.

26. - Top - End - #986

Surface Clinic

Blanche gives Natharia a slight smile and sympathetic nod, but won’t have anything to add outside of this.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

27. - Top - End - #987

[Surface Clinic]

Shanti raises her long eyebrow. "We do? I thought we already discussed everything down there at the moon well." She gestures at Natharia. "As you can see, my daughter got injured so I figured we'd take some time off everything and relax in mallside. But if you absolutely insist...?"

Anika smiles at Natharia and then shrugs. She had came to help them against the demons, hadn't she? At a great risk too!
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-07-21 at 12:27 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

Wenomir pinches the bridge of his nose. The way Shanti manages to play the victim every time is getting on his nerves.

"...fine, go. We will speak later."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-07-21 at 02:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

[Surface Clinic]

"Yay, let's go!" Natharia loops her good arm in her mom's and pulls her toward the door. Time to finally get out of here.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Village Walk]

Well, as it turns out, Cessie burned down her own office after some kind of incident with a skin walker so she has an temporary one in the barracks while it's being rebuilt.

However, once refurnished the room in the barrack look almost identical to what her standard office looked like.
    An elemental will open the door for them once they knock. Cessie in her chair, giving Rein a puzzled look. "Reinholdt, that wasn't yesterday. Come on in." She gestures at some empty seats.
    [Village Walk]

Reinholdt walks in, taking a look around the office. Not that he knows what her old one looked like. Or that she had one. He takes a seat all the same, trying to remember where they've met. He's pretty sure he saw her once, but not at VIGIL.

"Thank you, thank you. Uh... What wasn't yesterday?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.