New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

tongue How to kill a CR10 Huge Basilisk with a lvl 5 Aarakocra

Last session my character was petrified by a medusa. Through some phenomenal knowledge checks we found out petrification could be saved by using the acid's in a basilisk's gut which can turn stone to flesh (that's how they eat)... aaaand we found out there was a notorious basilisk on the East Coast of Chult. Now before we go Saving Private Dahast, I'd like a solid plan so my character's death doesn't lead to everybody's else's. For that I need you. You and your bright mind, shenanigans and gimmicks.

The objective is to kill this homebrewed greater basilisk (not sure, but I think it is this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-g...xDcmlBU0k/view) with a fifth level party, preferably not using only ranged airborne kiting techniques. I guess there might be normal basilisks in the area as well.

To that purpose I am encouraged to create an Aarakocra, also level five, with standard point buy and gold except I can buy a stat of 16 for 12 points total.

First my analysis of some key factors in the fight

I) On how not to die
    Averting eyes can protect against the petrification, but I've not seen a good solution against the substantial damage the greater basilisk can do except kiting and traps.

II) Grappling to prone/drag
    As far as I can tell, we can't grapple the greater basilisk. It would require a drag capacity of 2 x 2 x 300 pounds or 1200 lbs 3 and currently the Aarakocra is struggling to get above 960. A Goliath could do it. Aarakocra grappling is a very good way to deal with any normal basilisks though, since it can split the Greater Basilisk from the minor ones.

III) Proning for movement speed decrease.
    The beast could be knocked prone reasonably often by most of the builds mentioned if they are enlarged. An Open Hand monk could do it even more often. The goal being keeping the Greater Basilisk out of reach of the rest of the party which doesn't have a high enough movement speed to kite it on ground.

IV) Why do we need to kite it close to ground?
    With an average damage of 28-35 from the Greater Basilisk spit attack (depending on save), our/any hero can only take around two hits before dropping. If our character just goes airborne too often, I think the greater basilisk would retreat to its cave.

V) How much movement speed is needed?
    We need at least 125 ft movement speed to kite it on ground, and that's with caltrops working on the greater basilisk. Why 125? The basilisk can spit for 50 ft and move for 15 ft once it has gotten up from being prone, that's 65, meaning we need to be 70 ft from it on the beginning of its turn. It'll end up up being 55 feet away if done right. When we fail knocking it prone, we need to go up 55 feet straight up or we get caught. Without caltrops proccing we're looking at needing 75 ft (5 ft safety + 0,5 x 40 ft movement speed + 50 range) + 55 feet = 130 ft movement speed

VI) Our resources

The other party members are:

deep gnome diviner (control) wizard
    half-elf knowledge cleric
    variant Human revised ranger beast master (Polearm + Sentinel).
    The deep gnome has these spells:

level 1: grease, sleep, identify, silent image, ???
    level 2: web, darkness, invisibility, misty step, levitate
    level 3: Leomund's Tiny Hut and Fireball
    I'd like to know how to stretch the Aarakocra's racial abilities to its utmost, preferably without using ranged combat as a primary focus. I've focused on grappling builds since they can go with eyes closed against basilisks without suffering a lot. Hence grappling allows us to take any addons (i.e. normal basilisk either out of the way, away from the greater basilisk which is probably chasing us etc).

I have some suggestions.

A) Totem Barbarian with Eagle Aspect
    Stats: STR 16 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 11 CHA 8.

Eagle Aspect gives dash as a bonus action and disadvantage for enemies on opportunity attacks.

This guy would walk around in nothing except shield and weapons. Normally fly/stealth ahead. In combat swoop in and carry big bad guy away or bring glass cannons to party. Usually succeeds with 2 attacks, advantage and athletics + 6.

The drag and drop (from 10 ft) leaves an opponent prone.

Movement speed with dash is 120 ft (10 from barb, double from dash). 140 with longstrider. 160 if ASI is spend on mobile and the following stat array: STR 16 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 8

Can also drop from 60 ft/80ft (longstrider and mobile) for 6d6 (21 dmg)/8d6 (28 dmg) or, the real killer, drag opponents through spiked growth from the ranger for 24d4-28d4 (with mobile + longstrider), no save (60-70 dmg).

Attacks are meh besides that: chuck spear at 1d6+5 (+4 if mobile), bow or mace at 1d8+3/5 (4 if mobile).

B) Fighter 3 / Rogue 2
    Expertise, stealth and action surge. Base speed is only 50, but dash as a bonus action is always a possibility. More skills and con can drop to 14 for better stat spread.

Also gives either: shield, absorb elements and longstrider + booming blade and green flame blade spells

OR

menacing + trip + riposte from battle master.

Expertise in athletics and stealth or perception allows for athletics +9 and stealth +9 or both stealth and perception at +6. Advantage is less often. No damage resistance but second wind. AC drops to 15 (studded leather + 3 dex).

When not grappling damage is higher:

2d8+5 + 1d6 (booming blade + sneak attack) - without Action surge
    or

1d8+5 + 1d6 + 1d8 from combat manoeuvre. Allows for higher DPR with riposte (round: 2d8+10+2d6 - AS even higher).
    C) Bear totem Aarakocra with Great Weapon Master
    STR 16 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 8

Essentially losing 5 hp, 1 con save and 1 AC to be able to be main DPR. Reaches goal of utilising flying by combining glaive with GWM (Should be super annoying if flying ten feet in front of ranger. If enemy closes into be able to jump and hit the ranger can stop them in their tracks). Only works against basilisk if we can create difficult terrain.

C) Level 5 Eldritch Knight
    STR 16 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 8

2 attacks, action surge and mobile with expeditious retreat for dash. Shield can help if things go awry. Cantrips are in general not worth it before level 6. Minor illusion can be worth a lot to hide more caltrops.

D) Kensei monk Aarakocra
    STR 14 DEX 16 CON 12 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA 8

ASI not spend!! Can get up to 160 ft movement speed with dash, mobile and longstrider.

The kensei monk has some burst, some range and some defence. The grappling is not strong without help (no expertise and no advantage without a little help from my friends). Movement speed is 60 ft again. Dash and dodge can be done for ki and damage output while grappling is higher plus added flexibility when it comes to range weapons.

E) Sorcerer multiclass (WIP)
    STR 14 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 13 Either sorc 1 / rogue 2 / ftr 2 for action surge, dash, expertise, shield, Shield and draconic resilience (poison resistance) for a grappler with a mix of durability and grappling prowess. Cantrips help against enemies that are not the greater basilisk. Does not have enough movement speed without difficult terrain against the greater basilisk.

A variant is to go for sorc 3 for metamagic and blur and ftr 2 for action surge (two attempts) or rogue 2 for expertise and dash or rogue 1 for dash and mobile (and hence enough speed). DM usually plays with counting advantages and disadvantages instead of just cancelling them out no matter how many of each. The sorc/fighter can have 18 AC with shield going up to 23 with Shield and impose disadvantage with blur.

Out of the mentioned builds, which would have the highest probability of successfully killing a greater basilisk sustaining no permanent deaths and why? Are there other none-Sharpshooter Aarakocra builds that would do better?
    Last edited by Skylivedk; 2018-10-22 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Rewrote entire post based on feedback at stackexchange

2. - Top - End - #2

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: How to kill a CR10 Huge Basilisk with a lvl 5 Aarakocra

I'm doing some necromancy here since I changed the entire post and would love your input. I've personally had some fun trying to crack this nut.

Currently, I'm playing around with having the gnome wizard ride the wolf from the beast master to stay out of range, have the cleric far far away (maybe) or carried by the Aarokocra when necessary. The gnome wizard would concentrate on enlarge/reduce to provide advantage on strength and carrying capacity (if Aarokocra is not Barbarian). Grease can be dropped occasionally as well as some damage from cantrips/add more caltrops and minor illusions.

Cleric can maybe have spiritual weapon and an animate dead add some damage. If the Greater Basilisk chooses to attack a zombie, it's a round of attacks for the player characters. Is there a better use for the cleric? With longstrider he can just stay out of reach, occasionally adding either toll the dead, caltrops, guiding bolt or guidance. If we can't find enlarge, the cleric can do enhance ability.

The ranger can add a bit more damage and especially spike growth might come in handy.

What would you do if the greater basilisk returns to its cave?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Stake out some cows for the basilisk to munch on .. assuming it eats cows. Presumably the basilisk knows not to look at the things it plans to eat ... unless it eats the stoned creatures and they get converted back to food in its stomach?

If the basilisk lives in a cave then you could try to tempt it to move far away ... again maybe using food as bait since it isn't very smart. It also might not be smart enough to run back to its cave if it is taking damage from all directions and the cave isn't that close.

However, it is a CR10 monster .. it will wipe the floor with your party unless you have a plan that will work.

All of your melee ideas will fail. If you avert your eyes or close them to avoid the gaze attack, you will have disadvantage on all your attacks against the basilisk and it will have advantage on all its attacks on your characters. In addition, all its attacks have reach and do massive amounts of damage. Anyone within 10' to 15' of the basilisk is very likely to die. Trying to get close enough to knock the basilisk prone is unlikely to work since it will be at disadvantage with your gaze averted.

The only options are ranged attacks with everyone spread out. If you are all grouped together, the basilisk will rush the group and since it moves faster, it will catch you ... it can dash the first round if it likes moving 80'. The other problem is that if you are spread out then having the basilisk move 80' towards one of your characters will move the one on the other side of the circle well out of range and they won't be able to catch up without also dashing.

Spells that change the ground into difficult terrain could be very useful.

You could also use darkness to overcome the gaze attack and turn everything into straight rolls. However, the basilisk still has very powerful attacks at close range and a very long reach.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that the only safe place to attack the basilisk is 60' in the air directly above it. Other than that, stake out some food, hide surrounding the area, hope the DM gives you a surprise round which will at least give you two rounds of attacks before it can attack, unload every high damage spell and ability that you have and hope that you can do enough damage in three rounds to take it down before it gets going on attacks.

You have to use ranged, you have to spread out, it will likely choose one character to charge at, with 80' dash it is likely to get close to that character especially when you add in the 15' reach for tail attacks ... you have to be at least 100' away in any direction to not end up within its reach and 115' away if you want to be out of range of the gaze attack on the next round. Whichever character is randomly selected as the target is likely to die unless your first 2-3 rounds of attacks have pretty much killed the basilisk. An Aarakokra could be the finisher since if everyone else dies he can finish off the basilisk using ranged attacks then collect the ingredient and the bodies of the party and get them resurrected.

UNLESS ... if you happen to be in Chult playing Tomb of Annihilation and the death curse is in effect ... resurrection magic does not work ... so anyone who dies, dies. If this is the case, then you might be better off seeing if one of the clerics in Port Nyanzaru could be convinced to cast greater restoration (5th level spell/9th level caster) ... maybe in exchange for a quest or other service if you don't have the funds available.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2018-10-22 at 09:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Stake out some cows for the basilisk to munch on .. assuming it eats cows. Presumably the basilisk knows not to look at the things it plans to eat ... unless it eats the stoned creatures and they get converted back to food in its stomach?
    Yup, this is why we hunt it: to use its stomach goo to turn my main character back to flesh.

If the basilisk lives in a cave then you could try to tempt it to move far away ... again maybe using food as bait since it isn't very smart. It also might not be smart enough to run back to its cave if it is taking damage from all directions and the cave isn't that close.
    I like this... We have come across some piglets. And a sow. I'm thinking of baiting it out with multiple piglets after piglet 1 or 2 start having massive amounts of hidden caltrops (minor illusion should do the trick perfectly).

However, it is a CR10 monster .. it will wipe the floor with your party unless you have a plan that will work.

All of your melee ideas will fail. If you avert your eyes or close them to avoid the gaze attack, you will have disadvantage on all your attacks against the basilisk and it will have advantage on all its attacks on your characters. In addition, all its attacks have reach and do massive amounts of damage. Anyone within 10' to 15' of the basilisk is very likely to die. Trying to get close enough to knock the basilisk prone is unlikely to work since it will be at disadvantage with your gaze averted.
    Are you sure of this? If you look at the math I did, I think its possible with some builds. If you have 70 base movement and dash (as a bonus action), you should be able to shove the basilisk. Shove isn't an attack, so no disadvantage. The monk and the barbarian can there with longstrider from the ranger, and everybody else can get there with mobility. I.e. an eldritch knight with expeditious retreat and mobility can do it. Considering how much damage the basilisk does, I'm partial to the Mobile built. Whether that means a BM 4/Rogue 1, or something else, I'm not sure. A swashbuckler 3 / monk 2 would actually also do the trick, but it's extremely MAD. I think a fighter, monk or sorc build would be more fun long term.

UNLESS ... if you happen to be in Chult playing Tomb of Annihilation and the death curse is in effect ... resurrection magic does not work ... so anyone who dies, dies. If this is the case, then you might be better off seeing if one of the clerics in Port Nyanzaru could be convinced to cast greater restoration (5th level spell/9th level caster) ... maybe in exchange for a quest or other service if you don't have the funds available.
    We are... Just to up the ante ;)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Protection from Poison is a good place to start.

Most of the damage is poison. Get resistance, cuts it in half. Advantage on the saving throw to cut it in half again. Get someone with a high Con, or hopefully two. Still not safe to face tank this thing, but it'll definitely buy you a few rounds if you avoid the melee damage. This would be for your kiting character.

Second at 50 ft. The basilisk had disadvantage, granted with a +9 to hit you still have a good chance of taking the hit, but it's better. Keep it at range and never stand next to an ally.

Third, leomunds tiny hut. Cast it with everyone inside before the fight. Now allies, and all their ammo can pass in and out, but basilisk can't move in. Nor can he SEE in protecting you from the gaze. You won't be fighting from here the entire time, BUT you can get lots of free attacks.

First step, fastest kiter stays outside for when the basilisk realizes what's happening.

Second get it's attention just barely in range of the Hut, it's move speed is only 40 so 80 from on a dash. If you can start this fight with it roughly 500 ft away from the hut that's fantastic, but may not be possible.

Third cast a Silent Image of an Archer going through the motions of firing a bow and have your party inside the Hut firing actual bows. The basilisk shouldn't be smart enough to know that it's not looking at what's shooting him.

Forth, when/if he gets close and realizes he can't get to the party and tries to leave your fast kiter reveals himself (opposite side of the Hut the basilisk came from) to kite him away, if this character is flying then it can always retreat up if needed, after kiting it out of range of the archers either circle around, or fly over it's head to kite it back to the hut. This should be roughly 1000 ft (full diameter of longbow range)/ 80 ft (basilisk dash speed) rounds of shooting one way. AKA 12.5 rounded down to 12. Assuming 3 attackers in the hut that's 36 attack actions. If the caster is required to use his action to move silent image each turn reduce that by however many turns that seems to be working.

The final step is chasing him down if he runs at low health. This is the riskiest portion as you have to leave the safety of your hut. The flying character may have to do the last bit finishing him off as he will hopefully still be far enough away from his lair that you can make use of that flying speed.

Alternatively the casters can step in and out of the Dome each turn to cast spells, this should be enough to aggro the Basilisk at you allowing you to drop the silent image. I personally like the silent image version better and would be less likely to try hard to explain it not working if I were the DM, in and out of the Hut is clearly cheese, but silent image to make him THINK he can see the shooters is creative.

Remember a few things. You can't grapple a huge creature unless you're Large yourself.
    Ranged attacks have disadvantage against prone targets
    Cast darkness. Unseen attacker gets advantage, attacking a Target you can't see is disadvantage. Everyone rolls straight but you've neutralized the gaze attack.
    Last edited by Galithar; 2018-10-23 at 06:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If "hover overhead and pelt it with arrows" isn't an option, is "hire a mob of mercenaries?"
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

If you are building for it, make a sorcerer, take levitate as one of your spells and heightened as one of your meta magics. If necessary get the cleric to cast bane on the thing, then levitate it off the ground for ten minutes while everyone pelts it into oblivion.

edit:
    Sorry didn't notice the wizard was a diviner, use portent to stick the monster with a bad save result to auto fail the save on the levitate.
    Last edited by tieren; 2018-10-23 at 11:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Have cleric prepare bestow curse.
    Have wizard prepare invisibility.

Cast invisibility on cleric.

Use the customization option of bestow curse to cast a curse that induces vomiting, exploiting its weak wisdom save.

Cast illusion to distract basilisk for a turn while ranger collects acid.

Cast web/Darkness/blindness and run like hell.

If ranger knows pass without trace, use it to flee and/or approach to keep from being tracked on approach.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Osrogue View Post

Use the customization option of bestow curse to cast a curse that induces vomiting, exploiting its weak wisdom save.

If ranger knows pass without trace, use it to flee and/or approach to keep from being tracked on approach.
    That's actually the best answer yet. Don't even kill the thing!
    I would reward this kind of thinking if I was DMing the game.

Alternatively combine with Tiny Hut to have a safe space to run to and just wait for it to lose interest in this strange dome it can't get through.

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

I know you're seeking more dedicated combat ideas, but.. if we look at this in terms of medieval ways of dealing with threatening predators, traps. Dig a pit, cut off its easy food sources, lure it to a food source behind the pit. Some oil covered spikes in the pit, and one flaming arrow from range. At the very least, you should be able to get it so close to dead that at least one PC can finish it, and recover the stomach acids to cure anyone petrified.

edit: on reflection, I've even heard of animal traps where the animal's head is lured into a restraining noose. Restrain basilisk, throw something over its head to cover its eyes, go all Axe Cop.
    Last edited by Finback; 2018-10-23 at 10:04 PM.

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Have the Wizard cast Longstrider on everyone, then you can maintain distance. Combine that with spreading out around it and you can kite it on the ground.

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    If "hover overhead and pelt it with arrows" isn't an option, is "hire a mob of mercenaries?"
    Maybe... We're in Chult though, so they are prone to dying on the way there, and I doubt there will be a lot of mercenaries to spare where we are (middle of the jungle, Aarakocra village).

Quote Originally Posted by tieren View Post
    If you are building for it, make a sorcerer, take levitate as one of your spells and heightened as one of your meta magics. If necessary get the cleric to cast bane on the thing, then levitate it off the ground for ten minutes while everyone pelts it into oblivion.

edit:
    Sorry didn't notice the wizard was a diviner, use portent to stick the monster with a bad save result to auto fail the save on the levitate.
    I thought about this solution too. It's too heavy, way above 500 pounds. We some creative of enlarge/reduce we might get there. At least we can combine that with enlarge/reduce and/or enhance ability on our feathered hero for some drag and drop shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Osrogue View Post

I love the non-killing part. I'm not sure enough acid/pure enough/it will fly with the DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finback View Post
    I know you're seeking more dedicated combat ideas, but.. if we look at this in terms of medieval ways of dealing with threatening predators, traps. Dig a pit, cut off its easy food sources, lure it to a food source behind the pit. Some oil covered spikes in the pit, and one flaming arrow from range. At the very least, you should be able to get it so close to dead that at least one PC can finish it, and recover the stomach acids to cure anyone petrified.

edit: on reflection, I've even heard of animal traps where the animal's head is lured into a restraining noose. Restrain basilisk, throw something over its head to cover its eyes, go all Axe Cop.
    I love this solution. I'd combine it tons of caltrops between the ranged members and the basilisk and the ranged party members.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenIndustries View Post
    Have the Wizard cast Longstrider on everyone, then you can maintain distance. Combine that with spreading out around it and you can kite it on the ground.
    I think I'll have the ranger do it. Grease and silent image might come in handy plus the Wizard doesn't have longstrider.

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    Protection from Poison is a good place to start.

Most of the damage is poison. Get resistance, cuts it in half. Advantage on the saving throw to cut it in half again. Get someone with a high Con, or hopefully two. Still not safe to face tank this thing, but it'll definitely buy you a few rounds if you avoid the melee damage. This would be for your kiting character.

Second at 50 ft. The basilisk had disadvantage, granted with a +9 to hit you still have a good chance of taking the hit, but it's better. Keep it at range and never stand next to an ally.

Third, leomunds tiny hut. Cast it with everyone inside before the fight. Now allies, and all their ammo can pass in and out, but basilisk can't move in. Nor can he SEE in protecting you from the gaze. You won't be fighting from here the entire time, BUT you can get lots of free attacks.
    Galithar: I love the tiny hut idea. A ritual casting will definitely go into that. The basilisk his around fifty percent of the time with disadvantage barring Shield.

I've thought of something else as well... Have the Aarakocra be a sorc level 5. Kite the basilisk out of the cave with a twinned haste on the ranger and the Aarakocra (after longstrider). Use mobile, enlarge/reduce, enhance ability once out and spike growth + traps. Win with no damage taken. What do you think? Hut as backup. Probably drop poison. Might keep the bird man after this ;)
    Last edited by Skylivedk; 2018-10-24 at 01:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Wait for two portents less than 10.

Cast bane on basilisk.

Cast web on basilisk.
    Use portent to ensure restraint.
    Follow with fireball.

Fireball is 8d6 damage, or 28 on average.
    A square of web catches on fire, on contact with flames, dealing 2d4 damage to the occupant of the square. A basilisk takes up 9 squares which will be on fire due to fireball, resulting in 18d4 damage, or 45, resulting in 73 damage on average.

Repeat for 146 average damage. If able to have two low portents, then the basilisk can only defend with a Dex save, requiring a 14+1d4 to avoid restraint.
    Last edited by Osrogue; 2018-10-24 at 02:08 AM.