New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round XIII)

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    Hey Zaq, did you get that secret ingredient you were hoping for? ;D)))))
    Maaaaaybe! I’m quite pleased with what we’ve got here.

I will admit to being surprised not to see any Silver Keys; I once played in an E6 game with someone who squeezed in both Silver Key and Trapsmith, which worked remarkably well in an E6 environment. I was also kind of hoping to see a kobold with Slight Build take Stoneblessed into Goliath Barbarian for Mountain Rage (kind of a diet version of Tiny Von Big McLargeHuge), and I was also expecting a Thief of Life, since you can enter ToL at level 2 if you try hard enough. Admittedly, the actual interesting parts of ToL are out of reach for E6 no matter what, so that’s mostly understandable.

I was also expecting a fallen Pally to cash in their levels and end up with 5 or 6 levels of Blackguard.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    And, of course, *now* I spot a typo in my entry.
    Don't feel bad, I did the same thing, LOL. Except mine wasn't a typo, I changed something and changed one thing from that and not the other. OOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    I'm tempted to suggest we break out the four Survivors as a mini-side-dish battle.
    Me too, It's such a crappy class. I think difficult to judge in comparison to the others.
    Last edited by lylsyly; 2018-11-16 at 11:27 AM.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

So what you’re saying is that we should take all the dishes with Commoner as their first level, stick them on a remote island somewhere with a bunch of TV cameras, and make it an overhyped elimination event?

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

4. - Top - End - #64

A crappy TV show for a crappy PrC, Perfect ;)
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey, survivor is a great class. All good saves, improved uncanny dodge and evasion, dr 5/-... As long as you don't care about actually doing anything...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Out of curiosity, which one did you expect?
    Blade of Orien. It's a really cool class, with actually useful abilities. The only reason I didn't submit one is that I couldn't come up with anything good to do with the first 3 levels.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    Blade of Orien. It's a really cool class, with actually useful abilities. The only reason I didn't submit one is that I couldn't come up with anything good to do with the first 3 levels.
    I agree it's a cool class, but how would you have gotten the lesser dragonmark early then? I can't really figure out how to get dragonmark heir any earlier than level 5.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-11-17 at 03:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

I agree it's a cool class, but how would you have gotten the lesser dragonmark early then? I can't really figure out how to get dragonmark heir any earlier than level 5.
    Because I completely forgot about the skill prereqs for Lesser Dragonmark and didn't get far enough into it to actually check the feat, obviously :)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US! Happy, um, Thursday to those who don't celebrate the same holiday.

I really am grateful to have this community here and to have all of you put up with my insane ideas enough to churn out build after build and judgment after judgment, round after round. You're all awesome.

Enough sappiness for now. Any progress on judging, dare (and/or new volunteers to judge)?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I haven't touched this yet. I will probably begin this week end

11. - Top - End - #71

How did Ultron put it? "I'm not trying to be pushy ..." ; )))

Also bumped.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I began work on it. The plan is to finish 1 per day until they are done. Just have 7 more to go.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Update: Four more to go.

The 4 survivors really throw a wrinkle until remaining objective and consistent. I started by judging two of them, and then decided to go out of the survivors and judge some of the other entries so I got a feel for the whole competition.

As a judge, I have learned that I hate the Tome of battle. Anything from that book requires so much more legwork. Don't worry , that is just a gripe, I'm not blaming people. It just slows me down a bit.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    As a judge, I have learned that I hate the Tome of battle. Anything from that book requires so much more legwork. Don't worry , that is just a gripe, I'm not blaming people. It just slows me down a bit.
    Just out of curiosity, why is that? ToB seems fairly self-contained, so if anything you'd think it'd reduce the amount of looking up you'd have to do.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Just out of curiosity, why is that? ToB seems fairly self-contained, so if anything you'd think it'd reduce the amount of looking up you'd have to do.
    That would be true if I had any physical copies of books. One of the builds this round had 16 tabs open in my internet browser and 6 books as PDFs open. Just to check for qualifications.

16. - Top - End - #76

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tterreb View Post
    Hey, survivor is a great class. All good saves, improved uncanny dodge and evasion, dr 5/-... As long as you don't care about actually doing anything...
    You know, someday I want to do a 20 level build with Survivor and War Hulk. Just for the BAB migraines it would cause.

ETA: Wrong class.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2018-12-06 at 02:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    That would be true if I had any physical copies of books. One of the builds this round had 16 tabs open in my internet browser and 6 books as PDFs open. Just to check for qualifications.
    WE have a goal for the next contests submission! Can you make the judges reference more sources than this?

What? I'll show myself out...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    WE have a goal for the next contests submission! Can you make the judges reference more sources than this?

What? I'll show myself out...
    It is definitely Karma. I am probably the absolute worst offender of this sort.

19. - Top - End - #79

New competition Idea - 10 different base classes and 10 different Prcs!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lylsyly View Post
    New competition Idea - 10 different base classes and 10 different Prcs!
    Here is a crazy example of something that I put a judge through: Gar Hogchoker Well over 20 sources, mostly for items...

edit: 3 to go.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Your hard work is appreciated, dare!

I'm willing to take input/discussion for the next round at this point. December/"teh holidayz" is a time when lots of people have time to cook and very few people have time to judge, so we need to carefully consider what we're setting up here.

Honestly, at this point I'm willing to just throw out some ideas and listen to feedback. It's spoilers, but it's not that much spoilers. And these aren't ranked in any particular order.

Ideas #0: I have a few SRD/OGL ingredients that I'm going to bring in eventually, but to be brutally honest, December seems like the worst possible time to do that. (See above: we'll have lots of cooks and very few judges. OGL ingredients exacerbate that like whoa.)

Idea #1: Mountebank, from Dragon Compendium. It's a hard class, not gonna lie. Like, really hard. It's got a ton of skill points and some utility of questionable value. I think I'd need at least three people chiming in proactively saying that they'd 100% be in to cook with it before I slapped this one on the table.

Idea #2: Sohei, from Oriental Adventures. Again, it's a damn hard class that I'd need a lot of advance commitment to in order to avoid another "no entries" round. Is that something that directly stimulates your creative juices?

Idea #3: Scout, from Complete Adventurer. This is going to be a strong ingredient because it's flavorful, it hasn't scaled out of relevance in E6, and it's honestly just a fun class that I genuinely enjoy. This is definitely going to be an ingredient, but it's a matter of when the stars will be right for it.

Idea #4: Lurk, from Complete Psionic. I was hoping to get some distance from Soulknife before bringing in another psionic thing, but it's a good ingredient nonetheless, I think. Strong flavor, unfortunate limitations in the mechanics that make things difficult. Those are arguably our best rounds (see Ninja, Soulknife, Swashbuckler). Is it too soon for Lurk, or would that be fun right now?

Idea #5: Binder, from Tome of Magic. The challenge with Binder is making it clear what you're doing that your compatriots aren't doing, since you've got such swappability. And, of course, the fact that it's kind of hard to actually make the Binder have a primary strategy. That's actually kinda rough, to be honest. Binders make great support for other levels but are hard to play straight through. Might be a good challenge, though!

Idea #6: Soulborn, from Magic of Incarnum. This feels mean. 6 is not a kind level for the Soulborn. They have a single freaking soulmeld and two bloody essentia (one from class, one from the mandatory [Incarnum] feat—every single feat with the [Incarnum] tag gives one point of essentia) and, like, that's about it. I mean, the Factotum at least has skills, and we had to beg and plead to get three of them in. Are you guys up for the challenge, or is Soulborn too deep into hardcore blandness?

Idea #7: Samurai, from Complete Warrior. I mean, let's be honest, you all know this is coming. It's a strong contender for lamest non-NPC base class in the game. Its design sins are no secret and no surprise. But, you know, I was hoping to sit on it a little while longer.

Those ideas will take us pretty far, I dare say. Other half-formed ideas include "Shadowcaster with a houserule that your mysteries/day are doubled at 6th level" (feels kinda janky/ham-fisted and still is going to run into the problem we had with Shugenja, plus it's one of the few really strong and explicit houserules we've brought in) and "any four base classes" (feels similar to what we're doing already with this round, though).

Feedback is strongly, strongly appreciated. I don't want to waste everyone's time with another dud ingredient like Hexblade, Shugenja, or Factotum. I want to keep things lively, like with Ninja and Swashbuckler. I just also don't want to overwhelm whatever brave hero signs up to judge by lunging straight for the OGL stuff.

Also, lysyly, you joke about 10 base classes and 10 PrCs, but I've submitted two separate "1 × 10 + 10 × 1" (ten levels in the SI, one level each in ten other classes) builds to the main competition, so that's really not so unfamiliar.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, let's see. I've got a basic idea for mountebank, not so much for Sohei. Scout, Lurk and binder should be easy enough to come up with something for. Soulborn, not so much (I've got one vague idea, but it only uses two soulborn levels and could do the same thing with a dip in Naberius). I'm not really getting any warm and fuzzy feelings from Samurai either.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Ideas #0: I have a few SRD/OGL ingredients that I'm going to bring in eventually, but to be brutally honest, December seems like the worst possible time to do that. (See above: we'll have lots of cooks and very few judges. OGL ingredients exacerbate that like whoa.)
    Can of worms, yes. But there are undoubtedly some very interesting worms in there.

Idea #1: Mountebank, from Dragon Compendium. It's a hard class, not gonna lie. Like, really hard. It's got a ton of skill points and some utility of questionable value. I think I'd need at least three people chiming in proactively saying that they'd 100% be in to cook with it before I slapped this one on the table.
    Hmmm... I'm looking over this now, and the first six levels do have some interesting possibilities. I'm pretty sure I could do something with this... maybe not quite 100%, but 95%?

Idea #2: Sohei, from Oriental Adventures. Again, it's a damn hard class that I'd need a lot of advance commitment to in order to avoid another "no entries" round. Is that something that directly stimulates your creative juices?
    This one intrigues me because it's so gawdawfully terribad. I have *no* ideas at all, but I'd have to try this simply because the challenge is just off the charts.

Idea #3: Scout, from Complete Adventurer. This is going to be a strong ingredient because it's flavorful, it hasn't scaled out of relevance in E6, and it's honestly just a fun class that I genuinely enjoy. This is definitely going to be an ingredient, but it's a matter of when the stars will be right for it.
    Lots of ideas here, but I'm not quite sure I could come up with something we haven't seen before.

Idea #4: Lurk, from Complete Psionic. I was hoping to get some distance from Soulknife before bringing in another psionic thing, but it's a good ingredient nonetheless, I think. Strong flavor, unfortunate limitations in the mechanics that make things difficult. Those are arguably our best rounds (see Ninja, Soulknife, Swashbuckler). Is it too soon for Lurk, or would that be fun right now?
    The Lurk frustrates me... every time I think it might be useful, it disappoints me. But there's got to be something interesting in there.

I think you could probably throw Divine Mind on the pile somewhere. I keep looking at that, thinking that there's got to be something useful in there, but no, it keeps underwhelming me. I think I'd put it in the same bucket as Sohei.

Idea #5: Binder, from Tome of Magic. The challenge with Binder is making it clear what you're doing that your compatriots aren't doing, since you've got such swappability. And, of course, the fact that it's kind of hard to actually make the Binder have a primary strategy. That's actually kinda rough, to be honest. Binders make great support for other levels but are hard to play straight through. Might be a good challenge, though!
    Binding isn't my particular cup of tea, but this feels like it could be a strong ingredient.

Idea #6: Soulborn, from Magic of Incarnum. This feels mean. 6 is not a kind level for the Soulborn. They have a single freaking soulmeld and two bloody essentia (one from class, one from the mandatory [Incarnum] feat—every single feat with the [Incarnum] tag gives one point of essentia) and, like, that's about it. I mean, the Factotum at least has skills, and we had to beg and plead to get three of them in. Are you guys up for the challenge, or is Soulborn too deep into hardcore blandness?
    I have secretly been campaigning for Soulborn 20 in the main IC competition, but the Chair hasn't shared my enthusiasm. Yes, this would be hardcore... I'm not sure I'd want to see it in E6, as I desperately want to see the 20-level version. E6 would be much harder, as they just don't get all that much in 6 levels.

Idea #7: Samurai, from Complete Warrior. I mean, let's be honest, you all know this is coming. It's a strong contender for lamest non-NPC base class in the game. Its design sins are no secret and no surprise. But, you know, I was hoping to sit on it a little while longer.
    I'm not quite sure what to do with this one that we haven't seen already. So maybe lukewarm/moderately interested.

24. - Top - End - #84

I might be up for SRD/OGL.

I could take a look at mountebank.

I would definitely be in for Scout.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

i never really know until i look at things, and i'd prefer not to do it ahead of time, sorry if that's no help
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

I'd definitely cook at least one Mountebank, maybe two with holiday cooking time.

Oof. That'd be a tough one. They really mean it when they say "a small number of divine spells," but then, you can't cast while in a Ki Frenzy anyway.

Seems like a fun round. I think E6 is a good environment for Lurk.

I don't know whether the feat-rich E6 environment would make for more variety or would just allow everyone to really lean into the jack-of-all-trades schtick, but Binder is rad and I'm sure it'll be a fun round either way.

I have vague thoughts on Soulborn and would probably enter, but I can't say I'm excited about it.

E6 isn't the worst of environs for Samurai, but it's hard to imagine much variety.

Those ideas will take us pretty far, I dare say. Other half-formed ideas include "Shadowcaster with a houserule that your mysteries/day are doubled at 6th level" (feels kinda janky/ham-fisted and still is going to run into the problem we had with Shugenja, plus it's one of the few really strong and explicit houserules we've brought in) and "any four base classes" (feels similar to what we're doing already with this round, though).
    E6 does make low level Shadowcaster a bit better without further houseruling by virtue of giving a lot of feats to throw at Favored Mystery. I wasn't able to get an entry in back in the Knight round, but I had really wanted to go Knight 3/Full BAB 2/Shadowsmith 1 with Favored Mystery (Carpet of Shadow) a bunch of times.

Feedback is strongly, strongly appreciated. I don't want to waste everyone's time with another dud ingredient like Hexblade, Shugenja, or Factotum. I want to keep things lively, like with Ninja and Swashbuckler. I just also don't want to overwhelm whatever brave hero signs up to judge by lunging straight for the OGL stuff.
    My personal preference is for Mountebank, for whatever that's worth.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

27. - Top - End - #87

EvilClericGuy

I'm game for any of these.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2018-12-09 at 10:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Most likely, Scout could draw a fair amount of attention, I'm just not sure he's this season's material.

Both Lurk and Binder will surely find its fans, while Soulborn and Samurai might draw people seeking challenge, or hoping for an easy round, with low amount of entries.

Personally, I'd probably build something for a Scout round if my schedule permits (for me, the last two weeks of the year are the opposite of days off).
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I should be finishing up tonight or tomorrow night!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Since this time of year is all about getting cool stuff, maybe the next secret ingredient should have something to do with items?