New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Flight 265 [IC] - Issue 1 - Awakenings

Eric McMahon

That's a pretty good idea, Eric said thoughtfully. It would get us away from doors and windows in case we get, er, company, and it would give you a safe place to experiment. Assuming you don't grow astronomically in size, of course...
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan smiled in spite of himself at the two's earnestness. "Fine. But if I got the power to command sea creatures, we're going to be down there a long time."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-11-24 at 09:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

"We'll bring the goldfish, Aquaman." Daniel joked as he walked towards the door. On the way out, he dropped the useless watch he'd been wearing out of habit on the table. Not only didn't it work, but it was cracked as if by some great pressure. Strangely, it also looked as if it had been exposed to insanely cold temperatures as well as there were flakes of frost underneath the glass...
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2007-11-24 at 11:14 AM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan follows Daniel down to the basement.

In the basement

Nathan faces Daniel and Eric. "So, how are we going to do this."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Eric McMahon

Has anything... he paused for a moment. I almost said 'has anything strange happened to you since waking,' but I realized everything has has happened is strange. Has anything abnormal happened right around you? He paused, thinking again. I ask because the first hint I had was when the flame on the stove seemed to be attracted to me when I was fixing breakfast.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan thinks back to the events of the day before responding, "Not really. Well, maybe with that fake agent earlier. It's kind of weird that I'd be able to knock him out in one punch."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

"Super strength?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

"I don't think so. I didn't feel any stronger. Plus, he didn't go flying through walls."

9. - Top - End - #249

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

"Life force drain? Did you feel anything after touching him? Feel more alive? Extra memories that you don't recall doing?...basically, are you Rogue?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

"Not really. I mean, my hand hurt, but that was from the punch."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel

"Well, with all of us it was the shock or strong emotions we were feeling that brought them out." Daniel said. "It was more of a reflex than a conscious decision to use them until we got a hang of it, right? Daniel stroked his chin thoughtfully as he walked up to even with Nathan.

I guess-" Daniel cut off abruptly. At the same time he suddenly lashed out at Nathan's face with a vicious punch, letting his face turn to a snarl as if he actually meant to hit the man. He wasn't actually going to let the punch connect. Who knows what it would do to the man with Nathan's strength...but then again, Nathan didn't know that did he? Daniel hoped that this would provide adequate shock.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan doesn't even flinch as the fist stops centimetres in front of your face. "I appreciate your commitment, but I've been a diplomat for over tens years. You aren't going to be able to fool me."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

"That same control of yours is probably exactly what's keeping your powers from showing up." Daniel sighed. "What do you think, Robbie. Should I actually try to hit him this time or do you want to give this a go?" he asked, turning his head to look at Robert.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Eric McMahon

I think I should stay out of this testing. If he isn't fireproof, I could really hurt him. He turned to Roberrt. Why don't you hit him. Given how strong Daniel has turned out to be, he risks killing Nathan by accident.

15. - Top - End - #255

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

Robert looked at Eric, then to Nathan, then to his own physique.

"Yeah, as much fun as it would be to break my glass hand over his face, I think I'll pass."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

"So I guess we're at a bit of an impasse. What now?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

"Eric, could you hit him without going all Human Torch on him?" Daniel asked the obvious question. If Robert couldn't hit Nathan without breaking, and he could hit Nathan without breaking him that just left one person.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Eric McMahon

The thought crossed my mind... He turned to Nathan and grinned. Just a second...

Eric ran upstairs to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge, opened it, and returned to the basement. He handed the bottle to Robert. Hold onto this, please. Just in case...

Grinning at Nathan, he asked Are you ready for this? Without waiting for Nathan to answer, Eric drew back his arm and aimed his fist at Nathan's upper arm. But at the last second, Eric ignited his fist. Only the fire hit Nathan; Eric's fist, being pure flame, passed around the other man's arm.

19. - Top - End - #259

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

"Oh f***."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eric, having forgotten exactly what happens when he goes 'all human torch', exploded in a conflagration that consumed the entire room as he transformed from Eric McMahon to... flaming Eric McMahon (for lack of a better name). The flame, however, seems to be more or less harmless - more visual than tangible, though a blast of heat can be felt. No one in the room suffers any physical harm, though there is the distinct smell of burning hair in the room.

As for the punch - Nathan was ready for it. Perhaps because Eric was holding back. Or perhaps Nathan was just quicker than Eric. Despite the explosive transformation and the other potential distractions, the punch missed - and by a large margin too.
    *Insert something witty here*

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

"Ah, christ...is my hair burning?" Daniel gingerly touched his eyebrows and the top of his head, looking for singed follicles. "Is everyone alright?" he blinked in surprise as no one was on fire and his clothes seemed to be fine. Eric's fire seemed to be a harmless sort unless he actually meant to do damage. Neat.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Eric McMahon

Eric put himself out, looking sheepish. Sorry about that. I was trying to just set my hand on fire. Guess it's all or nothing... He looked at Nathan. Did you mean to dodge? I admit I'm not muchof a fighter, but I don't see how I could have missed that badly.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan takes a deep breath, and waits until he can trust himself to speak politely. His words are a little unclear, being spoken through gritted teeth. "I know that you're...inexperienced with these powers, but may I ask that you two maybe figure out a different, non-violent way to do this? I'd really appreciate it."

Nathan takes a moment to calm down. "I saw it coming again. The punch, that is. Not so much the giant fireball."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-11-25 at 08:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

Daniel started laughing at Eric's sheepish tone and the way Nathan reacted. They really had no idea what they were doing, did they? Daniel, for one, figured the only way to get a power to come out was to shock it out, but then again maybe it was just the need that did it. He put his hands over his stomach when it started to hurt and looked up. "Maybe we should just toss him off the roof and see what happens?" he grinned.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

"I doubt that would work. You can fly, and judging by the car accident, you're the hero type. I know you wouldn't let me splat; no danger, no powers"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Daniel Horton

"Well, then...I guess we'll just have to wait until the next group of armed men try to kill us." Daniel said, looking sidelong at Nathan. "If any of us need powers right about now it'd be you, don't you think? It was your briefcase that was all about. Next time I might not be around to throw the bad guy out the window." he said almost accusingly.

To be honest, he wasn't sure he trusted Nathan all that much. For a guy who seemed pretty shrewd and logical, it was a dumb move to just accept a package from someone you didn't know to take on a plane with you. Was Nathan telling the truth? What had been in that briefcase anyway? Drugs? Also because Nathan stayed in the car and hid during the rescue instead of even trying to help didn't make Daniel think any better of the man. Sure, he didn't have any powers but that wouldn't have stopped Daniel or even the little, nerdy Robert. Something didn't strike him right with Nathan and it worried him that he couldn't figure out what it was. Daniel just hoped Nathan would eventually prove that his doubts were without merit and that he was really a stand up guy who'd made a mistake. He really did.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

PirateCaptain

Robert Harrison

Robert sighed. "I'm going back upstairs. Maybe something interesting is on tv. God knows what horrors the Sci-Fi channel has created these past few years." He continued up the stairs, mumbling about movies with a lack of plot or characterization.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Nathan didn't want to get into an argument, and was preparing to leave when an idea occurred. Daniel was right; he needed to find out what he could do in case those men ever came back. He turned back toward Daniel. "Cute. I didn't realize you get so spiteful when you fail." Nathan's voice is practically dripping with scorn.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-11-26 at 09:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Nathan James

Nathan didn't want to get into an argument, and was preparing to leave when an idea occurred. Daniel was right; he needed to find out what he could do in case those men ever came back. He turned back toward Daniel. "Cute. I didn't realize you get so spiteful when you fail." Nathan's voice is practically dripping with scorn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starting a fight with the guy with super strength and anger management issues? Smart move...

"Oh come on, unpowered wonder. If anyone's a bit behind the rest of the class it's you, okay? I was just trying to help you out. So don't you get all pissy with me." Daniel said, shooting Nathan a look and half turning to face him. Was the guy trying to irritate him? Because it was working. He already didn't quite like the man, why'd he have to go and make it worse?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Nathan James

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course. All part of my diabolical plan.

I hope.

"I'm behind without powers, am I? As far as I remember, the biggest thing you've done with your funny little tricks is show them off on TV. So when you get resentful because you can't punch your way through your problems, don't go blaming me."