New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1146 - The Discussion Thread

Zimmer, really. Durkon was established at least level 15 even treating the Order's levels as entirely disconnected; hiding in technicalities to argue for it not being abbreviating his growth to stop him from ever getting to 17 is unworthy of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    That said, the idea I'm fighting here, is that they all grew up to the same level at the same time, regardless of individual experiences, death, this kind of thing that usually makes levels differ. Because the only evidence shown to back this theory is in the lines of "I think it's so", and back in Class and Level Geekery, we try to use, you know, evidence.
    Evidence such as "Belkar understood the concept of Explosive Runes when it repeatedly demonstrated and then explained to him, so he has Spellcraft," yes.

If I was posting for something to be added to that thread it would make sense to bring it in. I'm not.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I take it you're using "their" as a third-person singular pronoun? Because the only person whose leveling needs to be capped because of Vaarsuvius's current level is Vaarsuvius.

There are any number of ways of making sure Vaarsuvius does not gain experience while the rest of the Order does. Most of them are long-standing staples of the comic.
    We all know that you would love to see V written out of the comic for reasons that make sense only to yourself, theres no need to remind us.

The fact that the order is getting more powerful is basically inescapable. It has in fact been a necessary reality since at least W&XP, where they failed to combat Xykon and Redcloak rather spectacularly.

However, as you say, there are already plenty of ways to take V out of the action if their potential effect on a situation becomes problematic. I don't see why they then also need to have their power curbed on top of that. You only need one solution to that problem.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    We all know that you would love to see V written out of the comic for reasons that make sense only to yourself, theres no need to remind us.

The fact that the order is getting more powerful is basically inescapable. It has in fact been a necessary reality since at least W&XP, where they failed to combat Xykon and Redcloak rather spectacularly.

However, as you say, there are already plenty of ways to take V out of the action if their potential effect on a situation becomes problematic. I don't see why they then also need to have their power curbed on top of that. You only need one solution to that problem.
    Durkon reaching 9ths is more of a problem than Vaarsuvius reaching 9ths. Vaarsuvius's spellbook is easy to limit if need be. But Durkon knows his whole list, and true resurrection has been referenced as existing and being castable by "17th-level Clerics." Miracle has not been mentioned, but the same holds true of it as of true resurrection. Mr. Burlew has said that TR is "story-breaking," and would not feature. The only way to achieve that is either to retcon it out of existence (and yes, it would be a retcon since it was mentioned in DStP; we could not pretend it never existed at all), or to cap Durkon at 16th level.

Or just have him refuse to use it on principle or something.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Durkon reaching 9ths is more of a problem than Vaarsuvius reaching 9ths. Vaarsuvius's spellbook is easy to limit if need be. But Durkon knows his whole list, and true resurrection has been referenced as existing and being castable by "17th-level Clerics." Miracle has not been mentioned, but the same holds true of it as of true resurrection. Mr. Burlew has said that TR is "story-breaking," and would not feature. The only way to achieve that is either to retcon it out of existence (and yes, it would be a retcon since it was mentioned in DStP; we could not pretend it never existed at all), or to cap Durkon at 16th level.

There are ways of preventing even true rez from working, if that specifically is the concern. Durkon will never resurrect Eugene or Gerard Draketooth, for example, because they died of old age. Victims of the Snarl are also likely beyond resurrection of any sort. Given that the story is so close to its end, its also unlikely that "the quest to resurrect a member of the Order" is going to be a plot point for a third time, so its no longer going to ruin that particular approach. And, of course, should Durkon die again, theyre still out of luck there, so its not like total combat failure stops being a risk. Rich might not like it conceptually, but theres no reason it needs to feature prominently enough to cause problems at this point.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I apologize that I’m missing part of the argument? Who are we speculating that Durkon (or any other cleric with the potential to cast 9th level spells during the story arc, such as RedCloak) would use True Res on?
    Last edited by Dion; 2018-11-22 at 09:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    All of which require/hinge on/consist of abbreviating their growth now, since Vaarsuvius is level 16 now.
    I thought it was level 17, based on the math behind the Forcecage duration here.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I thought it was level 17, based on the math behind the Forcecage duration here.
    Orange Prism Ioun Stone(turned into a bracelet for Blackwing) gives a +1 CL boost.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, yes, thank you. (And also I just realized if V had 9th-level spells, we probably would have seen them in that battle, unless they were drained.)

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Ah, yes, thank you. (And also I just realized if V had 9th-level spells, we probably would have seen them in that battle, unless they were drained.)
    Well they probably would have been drained anyways since they'd be the highest level slots V had, but yeah.

It's also the likely reason why V hasn't shown their other 8th-level spell they'd have learned this level. Wonder what it was? Probably Sunburst?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #310

Durkon might be a bit particular about using it, on account of how the Dwarven afterlife works (and there being very few other people he would want to cast it on to begin with), but a thought occurs; don't we have a much less scrupulous, aggrieved cleric of the goblin persuasion who might attempt it, or something like it, at some point?
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The only way to achieve that is either to retcon it out of existence (and yes, it would be a retcon since it was mentioned in DStP; we could not pretend it never existed at all), or to cap Durkon at 16th level.

Or, as a simpler option, he and the party could just not be able to find enough diamonds (or a high-enough-value diamond) to serve as the material component for the spell.

Just because something is on the list available to a Cleric doesn't invalidate other necessary requirements to actually cast the spell in question.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Or, as a simpler option, he and the party could just not be able to find enough diamonds (or a high-enough-value diamond) to serve as the material component for the spell.

Just because something is on the list available to a Cleric doesn't invalidate other necessary requirements to actually cast the spell in question.
    Demonstrated by Roy being dead for a long time.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

it would be a retcon since it was mentioned in DStP; we could not pretend it never existed at all
    No, but we could pretend they had meta knowledge of something that doesn't actually exist in this universe even though they thought it did. This is implied to be a possibility by the fact that Redcloak knew about psionics without being sure whether it was a thing in this setting.
    ungelic is us

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

It's entirely possible that a situation where someone needs to be raised and nothing short of True Resurrection would do the trick simply won't occur to the Order before the story is over. Or if it does, they won't have enough diamonds for it. They might spend all their diamonds here, for all we know, and shopping trips are unlikely from here on.

Furthermore, Durkon has to prepare True Resurrection. He can't just cast it willy-nilly. And since 9th level slots are a precious commodity, it's rather questionable that he'd prepare it unless he had a very good reason to believe someone might die in a way that Resurrection won't fix. Which means it'd only be a problem if someone died in such a way and Durkon had enough time to rest and prepare it. Which, again, is hardly a given.
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-11-23 at 09:47 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It's entirely possible that a situation where someone needs to be raised and nothing short of True Resurrection would do the trick simply won't occur to the Order before the story is over.
    Yes, this.

Rich has written around True Resurrection* for nearly six books out of seven so far, plus prequels. I see no reason to expect he won't continue to do so. Durkon hasn't expressed a desire to True Resurrect anyone.

*Insofar as he's never had anyone cast it on-panel. It was a fairly big plot point in Start of Darkness that it couldn't bring back Lirian...but it still couldn't bring back any of the prior gate guardians, if that's something Durkon would want to do.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Durkon hasn't expressed a desire to True Resurrect anyone.
    He has expressed a desire to raise Tenrin, bu that was along time ago and they have much more pressing problems right now, though.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #317

HalflingRogueGuy

My guess is that most (if not all) pantheons already have at least one 17th level cleric. Otherwise, Thor wouldn’t be proposing a plan that requires a 17th level cleric from each pantheon.

If the existence of 17th level clerics hasn’t broken the story yet, I don’t imagine Durkon reaching 17th level would have much impact either way.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    My guess is that most (if not all) pantheons already have at least one 17th level cleric. Otherwise, Thor wouldn’t be proposing a plan that requires a 17th level cleric from each pantheon.

If the existence of 17th level clerics hasn’t broken the story yet, I don’t imagine Durkon reaching 17th level would have much impact either way.
    Thor isn't proposing a plan that requires a 17th-level Cleric from every pantheon. He needs Redcloak to cast a 9-th level spell so that the other gods can access some of the Dark One's power. He describes it as "a drop or so", implying that the contribution of the other pantheons would be orders of magnitude higher. If they needed Clerics to channel that, they would need way more than 17-th level Clerics.

Anyway, the problem is not wether 17th level Clerics exiting (they do, see Redcloak) would cause issue with the storytelling, but wether a 17th level Cleric protagonist would. However in light of the arguments upthread it seems it wouldn't. Which doesn't mean Durkon will absolutely reach the 17th before the last page of the last book either.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    He has expressed a desire to raise Tenrin, bu that was along time ago and they have much more pressing problems right now, though.
    And he seems to have accepted his mother's words [same strip] that, since he's on Valhalla, bringing him back wouldn't be the best for him.
    Last edited by D.One; 2018-11-23 at 04:11 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    And he seems to have accepted his mother's words [same strip] that, since he's on Valhalla, bringing him back wouldn't be the best for him.
    He actually accepted that bringing him back rather than saving Thirden & Co would not have been moral. He even says he still struggles to that decision to this day.

EDIT: I am expecting Tenrin and Durkon to meet in the next handful of strips. Durkon really needs someone to tell him he makes them proud.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-11-23 at 04:18 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #321

Durkon admitted to still having mixed feelings about his mother's choice and reasoning, even though he now mostly understands and admires her for it.

Regardless, it's not like you can resurrect a character against their will. Though, yes, I imagine that Durkon wouldn't try to resurrect his father. He'd just do his best to die with honor to eventually get to finally meet him. Although by the time the comic is up, I feel fairly confident in saying the system for the dwarves will be different.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azazyll View Post
    I did get to handle his lecture notes and a few of his doodles once at Oxford. While very cool, it was a grounding experience for my impression of the man, as I can now appreciate just how bored he was at faculty meetings.
    Possibly a higher quality version of "buzzword bingo" that I've played at meetings .

As to Redcloak and True Rez, if he tried to bring his brother back, might his brother/brother's soul decline (as Shojo did to raise dead) for his own reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD True Rez
    ... spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level.
    Raise dead requires a willing soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Raise Dead
    You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than one day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-11-24 at 10:14 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Possibly a higher quality version of "buzzword bingo" that I've played at meetings .

As to Redcloak and True Rez, if he tried to bring his brother back, might his brother/brother's soul decline (as Shojo did to raise dead) for his own reasons?

Raise dead requires a willing soul.
    Besides probably being quite happy with the afterlife, Right-eye was already close to the end of the goblin lifespan when he died.

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    I don't see any reason why anyone would claim that Right Eye would be willing to come back for anyone, let alone for Redcloak. His last day was a doozy.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    I don't see any reason why anyone would claim that Right Eye would be willing to come back for anyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    What about his daughter?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe the Dwarves have been working with solid stone and building into mountains so much they forgot...
    how to make CONCRETE
    I can just imagine that since this is OoTS it would be that literal - using a combo of pulverised mountain rock and create water spells to entomb the vampires in concrete
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Only because Haley, Celia and Belkar were ridiculously ineffectual at their job.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Not really. The only time material components became an issue, it was solved with a fourth wall joke - and a legitimate way of getting around it was pointed out at the same time.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Only because Haley, Celia and Belkar were ridiculously ineffectual at their job.
    Not really. The only time material components became an issue, it was solved with a fourth wall joke - and a legitimate way of getting around it was pointed out at the same time.
    I think peelee counts "being near said Cleric" as a requirement for the Cleric to cast the spell.
    In the case of True Rez, the Cleric still need to know there is someone to resurect and whom.

By the way, does anyone have any idea just what the Exarch has up his sleeve that would be so problematic to Roy? I don't think Team Hel has much fire/dwarfpower left so it wouldn't be a fight. Could they somehow prevent them from telling the head dwarves what the vampires are up to?
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What about his daughter?
    Spoiler
    Show
    And potentially compromise her safety?

Huh. Wonder why Durkon just didn't Rez Roy on the boat then. Silly Durkon!