New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1146 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZerglingOne View Post
    :"Sending! We need ta talk, alone. Imp'rtant cleric business. Fate o' tha world and Tha Dark One at stake. Where do we meet?"
    PS: Pinkie swear it's not a trap.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Clearly, there's an obscure rule that allows a Dwarf to challenge any vote of the council with a Drinking Contest, and the challenger may name the libation of choice.
    Durkon will choose Holy Water.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whatever Thor has in mind, it doesn't have to be some powerful spell, an ancient weapon, or anything else like that. It could be an obscure parliamentary procedure at the meeting, or a weird bylaw that's still on the books but which nobody remembers.

It could also be something about Durkon's mother or the mission she was on — she's been disabled for fifty years, so anything that happened prior to that might be forgotten by most of the dwarven people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    Clearly, there's an obscure rule that allows a Dwarf to challenge any vote of the council with a Drinking Contest, and the challenger may name the libation of choice.
    I love this idea. We've known for a long time that the dwarves have had a thing about a) drinking and b) trees. The latter makes wooden stakes hard to come by, but the thing about drinking could mean the high council brews beer using holy water. Maybe there's a ceremonial toast that begins the meeting or something. (Although it's unlikely the dwarves would forget a ritual where they get to drink beer.)
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Whatever Thor has in mind, it doesn't have to be some powerful spell, an ancient weapon, or anything else like that. It could be an obscure parliamentary procedure at the meeting, or a weird bylaw that's still on the books but which nobody remembers.
    Maybe, but Durkon absolutely needs a new weapon - since Durkula never held his hammer, it's probably buried under pyramid rubble - and it's unlikely that +5 hammers are just lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I love this idea. We've known for a long time that the dwarves have had a thing about a) drinking and b) trees. The latter makes wooden stakes hard to come by, but the thing about drinking could mean the high council brews beer using holy water. Maybe there's a ceremonial toast that begins the meeting or something. (Although it's unlikely the dwarves would forget a ritual where they get to drink beer.)
    Well, Holy Ale is absolutely a thing.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DaLucaray View Post
    I'd say the Vector Legion solidified power by manipulating others into being expendable figureheads while staying out of the public eye so they can play rulers off each other. A pretty brilliant plot, but nothing that ties it to an objectively narrative world. We just got Tarquin's perspective of the story, but he has Narrative Insanitytm and so framed it as such. When we see Miron and Laurin's interactions with him in 921 (Pixie, can't link) it's clear that the "objective rule of drama" is something that Tarquin believes and everyone else tolerates.
    To be fair, I'm not gonna fault you for not knowing this. But yeah:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    There's certainly been no evidence presented in the comic that Tarquin has even a passing understanding of valid military strategy, or political strategy, or personal relationships. What he understands are stories, and it just so happens that he was born into a world where that actually can help you win
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think he probably told him about an ancient dwarven cache of gear. Even in Tolkien it's a thing...gear made thousands of years ago is far superior to anything made recently. I wouldn't be surprise if there's a +5 holy Warhammer of disruption waiting for him down there.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chekov? T'was a divine revelation.

Also, huzzah! Banjo is vindicated! You know, if Thor and Odin make him an offer now, he could totally join their pantheon.

No, wait. Nevermind. Better to bank on him becoming a god on his own so they can have a 5th (6th?) color to work with if luck allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    You know what? That sounds dope. Holy Water honestly sounds kinda unhealthy for even normal people, but I'm sure Durkon's liver can take one for the team.
    Last edited by Psychronia; 2018-11-10 at 06:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingmonkey View Post
    Well I would imagine the western gods are mostly evil and some of the northern gods are evil so... yeah. And if you put demon lords and stuff into the mix, well, you get the point.
    Well, if they are divided evenly, there should be 4 good deities, 4 neutral deities and 4 evil deities in the Southern Panteon.

Few among the Northen pantheon looked evil... Loki (but not too evil), Hel, Fenrir, Surtur and Thrym... but if we add the ones who looked neutral (Mani, Sunna, Tyr, Njord, Skadi, Hoder, Vafthrudnir, Iounn, Bragi, Dvalin...) they outnumber the ones I think good (Odin, Thor, Balder, Frigga, Freyr, Freya, Sif, Heimdall, Sigrun and Hermod...). Of course, we know very little about most gods...

We know little about the Western pantheon, but most real-world ancient Mesopotamic deities would be neutral at best, according to our modern morals... again, I can't be more thorough due to forum rules...

9. - Top - End - #99

Odin didn't say most gods were Evil, he said most gods weren't Good.

I don't find that particularly surprising, and the exact ratio doesn't actually matter to the point. We don't know enough about any of the pantheons to say that any of them are primarily of any alignment.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Durkon left his hammer and shield behind in the pyramid, I believe. He needs replacements and, in any case, is due for an upgrade.

Thor's little secret may not be weaponry - maybe he will just be furnished with some nice gear by grateful dwarves after they have eliminated the vampire threat - but if it is then my guess is that "your people" is Durkon's line specifically, not dwarves in general, and that the little secret is a shield from which he got the Thundershield surname. Something with a sonic shield built in, because no one ever protects themselves against sonic damage.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    My assumption is that gods can fight other gods in the the same pantheon somewhat freely, because they have the same quiddity.
    My assumption was it depends on whether they are smacking people with Godly Hammers or actually pulling on the threads of reality, since that was what was described as making the snarl, and ordinary fighting wasn't.

Of course the problem is for MOST Gods you an't trust them to not start trying to pull Reality Strings if they are losing, so "No conflict" was easier to institute.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    Well, there are a number of possibilities I can think of for what the secret could be:
    (...)
    Golems. Mentioned above. Golems are good.
    Maybe the statue of Thor is a golem if you know the codeword to activate it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Since Roy already got the super cool weapon of legacy type deal, I'm more inclined to think something along the lines of a dwarf-specific cleric prestige class. Maybe some old spell.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

"So remember, it's called Divine Metamagic."

"Aye."

"And then you take these things called nightsticks..."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

Gotta love that that sarcasm from Thor... he really doesn't do much for his followers lol.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Most plausible of what I've heard I think is the idea that it's some fancy equipment, in part because Durkon lost his and in part because, like Roy, I can definitely see the legendary object Durkon's family is literally named after come into play in the story.

But it could be so many different things that I'm not confident speculating,. myself.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Since it's night that wouldn't save time.
    I guess I was thinking that they could attack Gontor, Curly, and No (Name) sometime after dawn but before the Council meeting starts. Though depending on what time of night it is, Durkon might not have enough time to get enough rest to refresh spells anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Seeing as the human Vampire has learned it, Gontor* and his cohort probably have as well.
    Missed that bit! Yeah, since Greg finished researching it probably got, to use an analogy to modern tech, uploaded to the cloud and is now generally available for any Cleric of Hel to prepare (possibly even any Cleric of the entire Northern pantheon), which probably sucks going forward, but I guess this is more incentive to make sure the undead she ordains don't get enough Cleric levels to be able to cast it. At any rate, I hope Gontor and No Name at the very least used up all their instances of the spell for the night, so they can't create a bunch of cannon fodder on a moment's notice again.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

When in the comic are we told that Rat is evil?

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    When in the comic are we told that Rat is evil?
    Start of Darkness, IIRC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a Crayons of Time bit from Redcloak's perspective, where some of the Evil gods let The Dark One know about the Snarl. Rat is one of them.

20. - Top - End - #110

Goblin

What about that spell that makes you a half celestial? Maybe that's the secret?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    What about that spell that makes you a half celestial? Maybe that's the secret?
    ...Heightened Reincarnation?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Belkar is gonna be so happy when Durkon comes back to life.
    And then he's immediately gonna be soooo angry, when Durkon gets the weapon upgrade Belkar's been waiting for since strip #1.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wait. Does anyone remember if Banjo the Puppet God has ever shown a divine aura, and if so what color it was?

Because a good storyteller, when using an old, old reference in a plot critical way, will often lampshade it before the big reveal to jog your memory. Y'all, I think Banjo may be a god with a new novel color that will help seal Snarl in place of The Dark One.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    None of my players started in the tavern. But they all ended up in there, of their own free will, within 2 minutes.

Generation 18
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by leon666 View Post
    Excellent comic and I cannot wait for a mind better than mine to try and figure out exactly what thor just told Durkon.
    "jet fuel can't melt steel beams"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelSacha View Post
    Belkar is gonna be so happy when Durkon comes back to life.
    And then he's immediately gonna be soooo angry, when Durkon gets the weapon upgrade Belkar's been waiting for since strip #1.
    What, +5 psionically enhanced mass-shifting dagger isn't good enough?
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Sengachi View Post
    Wait. Does anyone remember if Banjo the Puppet God has ever shown a divine aura, and if so what color it was?

Because a good storyteller, when using an old, old reference in a plot critical way, will often lampshade it before the big reveal to jog your memory. Y'all, I think Banjo may be a god with a new novel color that will help seal Snarl in place of The Dark One.
    I don't know if you're serious or not, but the comic has already gone out of it's way to say that, no, a puppet is not going to be solution to any plot critical point.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-11-11 at 01:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Well, this would make sense, if the nine-point alignment chart is followed. Good is only one-third of the whole thing, after all.
    Given that the Astral Plane makes things out of thoughts, and those thoughts seemed to be fairly well balanced given the colour pools we saw in the comic, it makes sense that there is a fairly even spread of the nine alignments of the gods, who are also made out of thoughts.

I am a bit surprised that the dwarf anti-tree belief hasn't in turn influenced Thor to actually become anti-tree.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If we want to take some previous bait regarding "previous generations" pointing to 1e artifacts, Hammer of Thunderbolts leaps to mind, with the "girdle of giant strength and gauntlets of ogre power" trifecta making for a nice upgrade to Durkon's set up. But they have to find all that ...
    Didn't at least one of those (or the combo of all three) have a 6'1" height requirement in 1e? Durkon might fall . . . short.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, thinking about it, it very well could be Mjolnir...

And just think. We have V slinging spells, Haley shooting arrows, Row throwing his sword with his psychic powers, Durkon throwin his hammer and calling it back like Thor, Elan being Elan... and poor Belkar behind in the dust complaining why everyone else gets cool ranged attacks but him. As always.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slowpokerface View Post
    "So remember, it's called Divine Metamagic."

"Aye."

"And then you take these things called nightsticks..."

I laughed so hard... brings back the memories from my local d&d3.5 arena experiences.
    It was banned so fast...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sengachi View Post
    He had an orange background-splash-page thing on the panel he was introduced, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Especially notable is later when he smites Roy, no divine aura at all. So Nope. No quiddity for him.

Wait my spell check is cool with quiddity, but doesn't know that OFF is a word? Macs are stupid. :p
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman