New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Zariel Tiefling - A more dynamic champion?

After purchasing Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, I thinking of making a champion fighter with the Zariel Tiefling race and trying to have it with as many combat options as possible.

So with the tiefling subrace you get 2 smites per long rest. Add in martial adept/magic initiate and you get a total of 4 options per long rest (with the 1d6 superiority dice being renewed on short rest). Anything else to add on? I was thinking a multiclass but not sure where to take it.

Cons are obviously taking a while to get up to 2 or 3 feats (including great weapon master) and needing to make sure you have your ASI's up to par. But at the very least with champion fighters, you'd be able to make more use out of the smites, triggering them off of critical hits more often.

Of course, this could all be pointless and you all could just tell me to go with a battlemaster.
    Last edited by Skyblaze; 2018-11-19 at 09:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Zariel Tiefling - A more dynamic champion?

Well honestly a Zariel Champion could be good, but I don't really see how adding long-rest options would make a Champion more "dynamic".

Why not take the Sentinel feat, rather? You can combine that with a two-weapon build and have a *ton* of crit potential.

Or you could go with Polearm Master + spear, now that the errata is out.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-11-19 at 10:04 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Dynamic as in a little more options than the standard Attack/shove/grapple. Basically getting beyond the Combat grind of champion fighters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
    Dynamic as in a little more options than the standard Attack/shove/grapple. Basically getting beyond the Combat grind of champion fighters.
    Well I don't think that "dynamic" is the right word, then.

Taking more time to decide what to do and what to spend, each turn, isn't dynamic.

A Champion, especially a Champion with access to smites, greatly benefits from options that give them more attacks. It's certainly possible to do other things with them, but if you want manoeuvres or magic, why not take BM or EK?

I mean, no offense meant, but it seems you have kinda antagonistic goals here (making the most out of crits vs having options that don't involve your increased crits, which are part of the "Combat grind").
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-11-19 at 10:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lol, if the diction is the problem I can change it from dynamic to just "more choices". I some what agree with the more attacks point but with the Zariel tiefling you only get 2 smites per long rest. And yeah, as I said in my first post, this could all be pointless, haha.

I'm not sure what you mean by having antagonistic goals.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I'm not sure what you mean by having antagonistic goals.
    You're trying to make the most of the Champion's crit feature, while wanting to spend ressources on options "beyond the Combat grind of champion fighters."

Accomplishing one goal diminishes the other, because the Champion's crit feature is squarely within the "combat grind of champion fighters".
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-11-19 at 10:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd say my goal with this idea is to give more in combat options for the champion fighter, rather than just do more basic attacks as actions. Not so much trying to make the most of the expanded cit range, thats just a benefit of having those smites coupled with the class.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Fair enough. In that case, I would look toward multiclassing with Rogue (Swashbuckler) or Bard (Sword).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ohh, sword Bard would be interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Though, I'm not sure how that would work out if I went with a great sword for the weapon of choice.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Of course, this could all be pointless and you all could just tell me to go with a battlemaster.
    This.

If you're willing to spend a feat on a single superiority die, then you want to be a Battle master.

And if you dip into hexblade, you can still have your expanded critical range, for one encounter per short rest. And get the Shield spell, and some cantrips.

Combine this with the shield master feat and you have a fighter with a use for his Action, Bonus Action and Reaction every round.

Alternatively, you could mix champion with rogue. You'll get plenty of options to choose from.