New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default High Screen Resolutions and Tiny Menus

I recently reinstalled Titan Quest after getting a new computer with a widescreen monitor, but I'm noticing at the highest resolution available (1920 x 1080) that while the graphics are crisp and clean, the maps and other stuff in the HUD are tiny. I found this minorly irritating, so I'm wondering just WHAT resolution I should use for this game...I have no idea how to pick resolutions for gaming...
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: High Screen Resolutions and Tiny Menus

I don't know Titan Quest specifically, but a number of games have options to scale the UI specifically to avoid this issue. A quick search shows there are UI mods out there for the game, but I didn't look enough to see exactly what they cover.

If that isn't an option, just stick to any other 16:9 resolutions so you don't get bars or stretching.
    Those would be 1280x720, 1366x768, or 1600x900.
    Given the age, the game was probably designed for 1280x720.

That is of course assuming 1920x1080 ("Full HD") is the native resolution of your monitor, it is the most common but not a given.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-11-22 at 03:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I had this same problem with FFXV.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Many user interfaces will have the UI as a set number of pixels, rather than as a percentage of the screen size. Unfortunate, but many developers are not particularly forward thinking with regards to technology.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I fiddled around with it a bit and discovered there's an option to make the HUD larger, so that fixed the issue! Thank you, everybody, and have a happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-11-22 at 05:35 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I recently reinstalled Titan Quest after getting a new computer with a widescreen monitor, but I'm noticing at the highest resolution available (1920 x 1080) that while the graphics are crisp and clean, the maps and other stuff in the HUD are tiny. I found this minorly irritating, so I'm wondering just WHAT resolution I should use for this game...I have no idea how to pick resolutions for gaming...
    You think 1080p is high resolution? 4k is four times the pixel count, and really good. You do need good glasses if you're older though.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.