New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC: So, How About Those Dragons?

The Tabaxi guard scrambles over the wagon and aims his crossbow in roughly your direction. "Halt! Who are you! Ah..." The man seems a bit confused and very tired. Most of their journey from what you had observed has been quite dull (maybe on account of a dragon following them?) and it is entirely likely that he was taking a small nap when his employers weren't looking. "What are... Why's one of the Wu-Jen's pets running around alone out here?"
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Fashiir inhaled slowly, held it, and then exhaled just as slowly before he responded. He didn't make any move to avoid the crossbolt's aim. I am no pet. I go as I please, as I am beholden to no one. He inclined his head slightly towards the guard. There is no need for pointed words; you only have to fear me while that is aimed at my self.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

"These forests are dangerous. Can't blame a guy for not trusting a scaled monster that crawls out of the woods." The Tabaxi's grip relaxes, but the weapon is still held up for now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Give me a Diplomacy check with your next post

Show

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Still not moving from his place, Fashiir continued to speak with a even, conversational tone. Of course. That is your profession, is it not? Be prepared for what dangers lie on the roads and defend your clients from them? I could not fault you for being professional.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+9)[14]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

The Tabaxi’s grip doesn’t change. “So why are you here, creature?”

Show

6. - Top - End - #546
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    ”I’m sure if he had a soul, it would have appreciated that. You did honor to his memory.”

As you mention the three dragons, the Trickster seems to count two off on their fingers, before pausing and shrugging, remaining silent. They seem remarkably unphased at the mention of a necromancer, but that could easily be from confidence in their own ability to deal with them if truly necessary.

“Well, one already has. And, since you already gave me valuable information, I feel rather free in sharing. Fashiir is a blue dragon that makes his home in the forest to the northwest of me, around a mile after the forest thickens. He spends his time further that way toward the trade port, though. Seems like he’s at a loss for allies among the Lesser Races while he waits for the sailors he came in with to come ashore and maybe take him back. Perhaps he would be more willing now to not look a gifted horse in the mouth, hm?” the Trickster says, their tone quickly becoming playful, melancholy and curtness disappeared entirely. “Is that something like the clarity you seek? Or are you looking for something else more... ephemeral? Spiritual? Something like that.”
    "A little direction is most helpful, thank you," replies the little dragon, standing up, "I believe I shall take my leave and seek out Fashiir. I may call on you again when this necromancy situation has matured."

With that, she departs, and begins making her way northwest. With luck, she would find sign of this Blue. If not, perhaps she would return to ask again after the other two.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #547

Planetar

Cicero

Cicero looks to both tabaxi, toward the approaching boat noise, and back. "Climb on, you two. I don't know what's coming, but we can't stand around for it to appear. We have to regroup with Paarth."

Once the tabaxi are situated on his back, Cicero leaps into the air as smoothly as possible and heads after Paarth.
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    "A little direction is most helpful, thank you," replies the little dragon, standing up, "I believe I shall take my leave and seek out Fashiir. I may call on you again when this necromancy situation has matured."

With that, she departs, and begins making her way northwest. With luck, she would find sign of this Blue. If not, perhaps she would return to ask again after the other two.
    After a few hours of flight both over planes and eventually through some of the forest, you find a fallen tree that seemed suitable for a temporary shelter that has scuffs and scrapes that you recognize as being from some relatively large creature, the lack of any fur being left around suggesting a lack thereof of whatever made the markings. Searching around a little more, you find two small, blue scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Orsik Vondal View Post
    Cicero

Cicero looks to both tabaxi, toward the approaching boat noise, and back. "Climb on, you two. I don't know what's coming, but we can't stand around for it to appear. We have to regroup with Paarth."

Once the tabaxi are situated on his back, Cicero leaps into the air as smoothly as possible and heads after Paarth.
    The sound fades in the distance as you leave. It occurs to you as you leave that hags can sometimes make use of auditory illusions to confuse or distract prey and assailants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Give me a Survival check to track them, since you were behind for several minutes.

Show

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

My name is Fashiir, not Creature. And why must I have a reason to rest on the forest floor? To emphasize his point, he stretched his forelimbs forward briefly, before retracting them underneath his chin once more. Of course, some conversation is welcome. Elsewise, you had not found me to speak with.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #550

Not a long term shelter. Not much shedding done here either. He's unlikely to return to this particular shelter, but at least I'm on the right track, more or less.

Yrmys sniffs around the site for a little while, noting the scales and wishing she had pockets. They're just shed scales, but you never know what might come in handy. Now, which way to go? Perhaps a nearby town or city would attract the lonely dragon. She continues her search.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    Not a long term shelter. Not much shedding done here either. He's unlikely to return to this particular shelter, but at least I'm on the right track, more or less.

Yrmys sniffs around the site for a little while, noting the scales and wishing she had pockets. They're just shed scales, but you never know what might come in handy. Now, which way to go? Perhaps a nearby town or city would attract the lonely dragon. She continues her search.
    You've heard talk of trade routes between the cities, but with your time largely spent with scholars (not a class of society well known for their focus on the day-to-day), you aren't familiar with any, which might open up routes to finding your potential ally. That said, you know of the major settlements on the island - the trade port Hanmin to the north and the hub city Moridanishi, to your south would be the closest to where you are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    My name is Fashiir, not Creature. And why must I have a reason to rest on the forest floor? To emphasize his point, he stretched his forelimbs forward briefly, before retracting them underneath his chin once more. Of course, some conversation is welcome. Elsewise, you had not found me to speak with.
    The man stares at you with suspicion, but eventually sighs and lowers the crossbow. "Alright. Sorry, Mr. Fashiir. It's just dangerous in these woods. Speaking capacity is not reason enough to trust any face you meet out here."

Cicero

Thankfully, it's relatively easy to find the path that Paarth took - broken branches lead you quickly to a clearing in the swamp after around a minute. Before you sits a small cabin, in a clearing. The structure looks like a stern breeze would cause it to collapse, and yet here it stands. The building is supported by a mess of stilts that seem to be replaced by two more every time one snaps, further contributing to the quaint-yet-eerie feeling that emanates from the area. Smoke or some other vapor emanates from the chimney. Aside from that, there is nothing above the water but reeds and grasses in a wide circle, and no sign of Paarthurnax.

Standing on the porchway is the tall, lanky form of yet another hag. Unlike the other one, who even after dropping her disguise vaguely resembled a Tabaxi, the hag before you is much taller than a Tabaxi, and lacking in hair save for a thin, black mess that hangs from her head, nearly covering her face. Her forearms are also visibly bloody.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are about 100ft out, though do not have a surprise round, if combat is the way you wish to go.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2019-11-09 at 03:46 PM.

Show

12. - Top - End - #552

Whither shall I go to seek him out? Let's see, there's towns to the north and south. The Trickster said northwest, and port, so let's try the port to the north. Perhaps he's around there somewhere, or perhaps there's a path I could follow in hopes of finding him. I hope I find him soon - flying around all day will get tiring, and I'm not a very good glider.

As a thought occurs to her, Yrmys focuses and shimmers, the faint armor surrounding her becoming more pronounced while the phantom spines on her tail fade. That done, she takes off again, making her way towards Hanmin. There she would ask around and, with luck, find something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    May as well shift my 2 essentia from my Manticore Tail to my Ankheg Breastplate. I need to mention my incarnum use more often, rather than forgetting it as easily as a familiar.

If you want a Gather Information check: (1d20+8)[16]
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

You arrive toward the evening, the sun just beginning to set, making your way immediately to the Wu-Jen's academy building, flying into the second story just as you did during your days at meetings with the Yuan-ti, and indeed today there is a single Yuan-ti that you notice in the upper floor, chatting quietly with a Tabaxi. The exchange seems friendly and cordial, as though their two societies were not still in an intense state of distrust. Waiting for a lull in conversation, you eventually ask about any other dragons that have been seen - in particular, a blue one. Both give a shrug. The Tabaxi speaks up though. "Can't say we've seen anything outside of metallics and you up here. Besides, can't trust chromatics. Untrustworthy lot, born of Nijiiroja," he says with a scoff. You know the name to be the Tabaxi moniker for Tiamat - Rainbow Colored Serpent. "Better off killing them on sight. If I were one, I'd stay far away from towns. Commoners might not know how dangerous they can be, but arcanists," he gestures to the Yuan-ti and himself, "absolutely do."

Show

14. - Top - End - #554

"All forms of power have the potential do be dangerous," replies Yrmys conversationally, "Whether it be might, magic, or simply cunning. Whether I am metallic or chromatic is still undetermined, but how dangerous am I? Apparently I can tangle with a small crocodile, and probably not much more. Yet power is not straightforward - how many fights have I avoided? Is that not a form of power, and even could it not be used towards nefarious ends?"

The dragonling pauses for a moment, then gets back on topic.

"Ah, but I digress. Power is a tool, no matter how dangerous it may be. In this case I hope simply to point a particular dragon in the right direction. I've been flying much of this day, seeking him out. I think I shall seek him further on the morrow."

She determines to rest at the temple and continue the search in the morning.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

You are shown into a quarters with several animals, those of whom are awake watch you with surprisingly intelligent eyes. Among them include two ravens, several rats, a toad, two bats, a butterfly, and a small mote of (currently very dim) light.

The morning comes, and by then many of your sleeping quarters guests (save for the butterfly) are gone out for the day.

Show

16. - Top - End - #556

Planetar

Cicero

As he come in sight of the hut, Cicero pulls up and lands on a tree a fair distance away. "Tricky hags. I don't like this! And where did Paarth get off to? I have a bad feeling that going closer would mean death. And I don't want to put the little one in danger anymore. Perhaps we should clear out and take him to safety before we take on the hags. Thoughts, Haruki?"
    "How could a man go through life with so little? Nothing of permanence, nothing built up to leave behind him. Nothing to testify to his existence at all. The kind of man who isn't focused on his own existence, I guess. The kind of man who cares more about others than he does himself..."--Harry Dresden, from Ghost Story

Nosce te ipsum

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Cicero

As he come in sight of the hut, Cicero pulls up and lands on a tree a fair distance away. "Tricky hags. I don't like this! And where did Paarth get off to? I have a bad feeling that going closer would mean death. And I don't want to put the little one in danger anymore. Perhaps we should clear out and take him to safety before we take on the hags. Thoughts, Haruki?"
    "We outnumber just the one there, but she doesn't look particularly weak... The other two are likely just beneath the surface of the water, though, waiting for us to charge in at her... It's your call. Remember that we have the little one as well."

Show

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Stirring up dust as he arrives with a heavy landing, "I agree we should get the innocents to safety before attempting to fight."
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    The man stares at you with suspicion, but eventually sighs and lowers the crossbow. "Alright. Sorry, Mr. Fashiir. It's just dangerous in these woods. Speaking capacity is not reason enough to trust any face you meet out here."
    Fashiir idily picked at something between his teeth with a claw, answering through clenched teeth. A reasonable precaution. He flicked a claw, disposing of a bit of bone that had become stuck. Now that the crossbow was no longer aimed directly at him, he shifted his gaze to the merchants, not moving his head at all. Apologies Sirs and Ma'ams, for ignoring you. Please, speak up. I don't believe I heard anyone's names. You know mine, would you do the courtesy of returning the favor?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

"S-Saitou is my name," the (seemingly?) senior merchant says, a wide degree of discomfort in his voice. "And that's my boy, Kazu," he adds, gesturing to the slightly shorter Tabaxi, probably a very young adult if you were to hazard a guess.

"Ame," the guard says. "Now, apologies if we disturbed your rest, but we really must be making headway."

Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

With slow, purposeful movement Fashiir stood up on his legs and ploddingly moved out of the center of the road. In a lazy voice, he bids them farewell. Saitou, Kazu, Ame. A pleasure. Safe travels. Perhaps we will meet again.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

With a nod, the Tabaxi continue down the path. Your keen hearing catches the beginnings of conversation before they leave earshot. "What a strange creature." "Just be glad it wasn't hostile." "Yeah, you were really..."

Show

23. - Top - End - #563

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Stirring up dust as he arrives with a heavy landing, "I agree we should get the innocents to safety before attempting to fight."
    Cicero takes a moment to consider his options. "Though I hate leaving the tabaxi to the hags, we need to get this one to safety before we try to take on the witches. I fear they're always going to have the upper hand, when we fight them. They'll never leave their swamp if they don't have...to..."

He taps a claw to his chin and turns to Haruki. "Is there any magic you know of or someone who knows any magic that could remove the water from this swamp? If we can do that, we take away one advantage the hags have."

Nosce te ipsum

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Haruki looks at you with a look of... surprise? Confusion? "That kind of thing is... beyond me. Maybe one of the elders, but... Unless one of you can teleport, I think retrieving them in a timely manner is not within our ability."

Show

25. - Top - End - #565

Planetar

"Damn! Okay. Then let's find a place suitable to drop this little one off. What Village are you from little tabaxi? Is it far?"

Nosce te ipsum

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

The child whispers “Hanmin. I... I don’t know how far it is back to home.” You estimate that it would be a few hours round trip, though you could still get back within the same day, albeit toward sundown.

Show