New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Bcool999’s Ironfang Invasion Group 2

And so the group was separated. Perwialen and Caliban walk down the familiar streets of town finding them now alien and fearsome. Beryl finds himself following the locals and trusting them to lead him around the town.

From what you can hear from the shadows of buildings as you stalk toward’s the Shrine, Hobgoblins are fighting townsfolk in all directions. The whole of Phaendar is under assault tonight, and victims already growing cold line the streets as you pass. A wolf howls in the distance, it’s eerie howl echoed by the screams of the dying.

Moving quickly and quietly as a force of three sees you arrive at the Shrine unmolested. A wooden deck surrounds the front of an octagonal structure with broad archways leading into a place of worship. To it’s left stands a moss-encrusted stone monument. Carved birds, branches, and fruits decorate the wooden supports if the temple’s entryway. A dead villager is curled up on the wooden deck before the temple.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bcool999’s Ironfang Invasion Group 2

"I can approach unseen and scout before we move in. I'll just be a moment, but if I get in to trouble the code word is "Oh gods, help!" He whispers to the others. There's no indication on his face that Caliban is kidding.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

They nod.

"We'll need all the infos we can. If you need support... make two owl screams ? Maybe we should have set up something like that for the others as well."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl sighs. "The point of the surreptitious signal is so your teammates can sneak up to aid you. I am neither fast nor quiet, so I don't think 'Oh gods, help' is going to be any less effective than pretending to be a bird."
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"If I need help I won't be surreptitious. I'll be running."

Caliban stalks forward with his bow drawn. He works his way from cover to cover on his way to the front of the shrine. When his cover runs out, he fades from view and rushes to the doorframe and peeks around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth as close to the front door (+7 stealth) as cover will allow. Then use a swift action for Unseen (invisibility for 3 rounds), move up, and look inside.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Caliban approaches the shrine, unfortunately the shrine has an open space surrounding it, making Caliban use his supernatural invisibility quickly. Once Caliban gets within 30ft of the entryway he notices something. A snout poking up from beneath the deck, sniffing. Soon the creature slips from beneath the deck and reveals a wolf, and judging by the way it's ribs show, a hungry one.

It continues to sniff the air and turns towards Caliban's direction and growls but makes no moves yet but to continue sniffing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban holds off on letting out the curse he wants to say and back pedals toward the rest of the group. Once he's near his allies he whispers "Wolf ahead. Don't let it bark and we'll stash the body."

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move stealthily away from the wolf and nock a common arrow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Perwialen get ready to charge it to take it down as fast as possible, then nod.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readied action to charge the wolf after the arrow shot, if possible.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl holds back; waiting for one of his teammates to advance for him to slingshot past.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Combat Start
    R1T15

The Wolf's head snaps in the direction of Caliban as he whispers. The wolf gets a hungry gleam in it's eyes as it lunges at the tasty looking Aasimar. It's fangs find purchase on Perwialen and crunches down for 6 Damage. It then tries to upset Their footing but is unable to budge Them.

Beryl, The wolf is in melee range and just took a chunk from your ally. What do you do?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl brings a sweeping hand down, smashing the canine and passing positive energy to his celestial ally.
    Show
    Side note: The blood pool does not empty after combat, but remains for up to 24 hours. Therefore, I should still have 4 points in my blood pool.
    SA: Initiate Silver Crane Strike. Heal Caliban. (1d20+6)[14] (1d6+9)[10]. Heal Perwialen for (1d6)[3]
    SwA: If that does not fully heal him/I miss, spend remaining blood pool to heal him as much as possible.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-12-05 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Named the wrong ally; let's heal the one who's actually injured, ya?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T9

Beryl brings a sweeping hand down, smashing the canine for 10 bludgeoning damage which rupture's the wolfs skin and coats Beryl's hand in blood. He then takes his bloodied palm and lays it on his celestial ally causing 7 Positive Energy to seep into Perwialen along with the blood.

Caliban, the wolf has seen better days and your invisibility will run out soon. What do you do?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban drops the arrow he was holding and swings a gauntleted fist at the wolf twice, bringing him suddenly into view.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Swift action: Enter Snapping Turtle Stance.
    Standard action: Use Flurry Strike on the wolf.

Punch 1: (1d20+5)[6], (2d6+5)[16]
    Punch 2: (1d20+5)[18], (2d6+5)[10]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Caliban drops the arrow he was holding and swings a gauntleted fist at the wolf twice, bringing him suddenly into view. The first swing goes wide, but the second connects with a sickening crunch dealing 10 damage dropping the wolf to the ground.

Combat Ends

With the guard wolf taken care of, how do you proceed. You can head to the main church entrance, or there is also a side building. The side building appears to be a small shack that serves as living space to the resident cleric.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban retrieves his arrow and looks the wolf carcass over for a collar. Afterwards he drags the body behind the nearest cover relative to the shrine.

Whispering, Caliban says "We can try that again or head to the cleric's shack. If there was a guard, there's probably more inside for it to warn."
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2020-12-05 at 03:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl wiped his hand against the corpse before Caliban moved it. "Okay, we've still got an element of surprise; let's go to the cleric's house before heading straight into the fray."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Having been bitten then healed before they even got the time to react, Perwialen nod at the suggestion of the side building.

"If we are looking for survivors, I think we might find some there indeed."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Perwialen takes point with Caliban right behind keeping an eye out and Beryl at the rear ready to spring forward as needed. Upon opening the shack door, 8 creatures stand before you in the room! You tense slightly before quickly relaxing. Standing in the room are humans! one of which Caliban and Perwialen recognize to be Ryhna, the assistant to Noelan the resident Cleric.

It is Rhyna that greets you as you enter, the bronze skinned blond haired chelish woman recognizes two of your party as you approach, "Perwialen! Caliban! Great timing, I was just about to lead the charge with a couple brave souls here to retake the Shrine! We'll beat those Gobs, save Noelan and then the whole town!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban smiles when he recognizes the survivors. "I love your enthusiasm, but the town is in more trouble than you might realize. We're gathering survivors to get everyone to safety."

"If you know what we can expect in the shrine, we can try and handle it, and then all of us can meet up with the others."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quickly estimating the present forces, Perwialen answers :

"Saving Noelan would be great, yes, but planning to free the town would be, for now, suicide, and condemn all those non fighters to be then slayed. Or worse. We have to retreat once the survivors are gathered, and throwing our lives away wouldn't help. Your help is welcome for the shrine, of course."
    Last edited by silphael; 2020-12-07 at 11:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban nods as Perwialen speaks. An idea strikes him.

"Rhyna, there wouldn't happened to be another way in the shrine would there?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

“That’s a bunch of quitter talk! With the gods on our side there is no force which can’t be overwhelmed!” Rhyma responds petulantly after being confronted with such paltry things like ‘facts and logic’ before she continues, “As for the shrine, besides the main entrance there is just the side door Noelan uses to go to and from this shack. There’s no secret tunnel or anything. Maybe we should build one when this is all over!”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Your wrong." Beryl said flatly. "These guys are better trained, better armed, and already have the momentum by starting the attack. Maybe if we train and work to perfect ourselves, we can take it back someday, but not today. Besides, I'm not seeing them sending any archons or angels down to help, are you?" And with that, he turned to his human ally "Make a quick recon of the shrine. Can we take them out with the tree of us, or do we sneak these folks around?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban opens his mouth to say something to the dwarf (?), but since he agrees with the plan he closes his mouth and nods.

"Leave the easy stuff to us and save your strength for the tough fights."

Caliban sneakily heads for the side door to scout the shrine.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"They didn't need to send Archons... they sent you." Rhyna mutters petulantly but is otherwise silent.

Heading out from the shack it is barely a stone's throw distance to the side door of the shrine. As quietly as he can, Calban moves forward and opens the door to peer inside.

The interior of the shrine has seen better days. Corpses of the faithful lie scattered across the ground. The statues dedicated solely to Desna and Erastil lie on the ground as kindling. Many offerings and tokens of faith have been stripped off the wall. The desecration of the Shrine continues even as Caliban watches as the leader of this Hob squad, a female hob with yellow ochre skin and dual axes, sends an axe into the main alter with a Thunk. Meanwhile, three recruits are alternating between searching corpses and keeping a look out.

Perhaps the noise startles Caliban slightly and makes him open the door a fraction too wide, but a corpse that was propped against the door (possibly cut down while trying to flee) slides loose and lands with a meaty thud near Caliban's hiding spot. Three pairs of Goblin eyes snap to the side door and the leader to snarl in Goblin tongue,
    Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    "Another one, get him!"

Combat Start
    SR1T23

Caliban, your attempt at stealth has gone poorly. What do you do? (Note that this is a surprise round. Only 1 standard action allowed (which can be used to perform a move action).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban draws a tangleshot arrow and tries to get the lead hobgoblin stuck in place.

"Four more inside!" he says as he fires.

Show
    Standard action: Fire tangleshot arrow at the leader of the hob squad.

Arrow: (1d20+4)[24] vs touch AC, No damage but it makes the target entangled and they need to make a DC 10 reflex save or be stuck to the floor. A DC 12 strength check or dealing 10 points of slashing damage frees the target.
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2020-12-10 at 12:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

SRT23

Caliban draws a tangleshot arrow and tries to get the lead hobgoblin stuck in place.

"Four more inside!" he says as he fires. The arrow lands true, splattering the Hob leader with glue but not sticking her to the floor.

SRT18

A Hob charges the doorway Caliban is in, bringing down it's longsword on Caliban for 5 Slashing.

SRT10a

The leader struggles to unstick her axe from the alter she buried it in but manages to get it to release from the wood.

SRT10b

Another Hob moves from where he was looting a body to where Caliban is, stopping beside it's ally with blade drawn.

R1T23

Caliban, a Hob has cut you with it's blade, what do you do?

Show
    Caliban took 5 slashing damage. Surprise round over.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban uses his free hand to strike the hob twice before he closes the door and falls back.

Show
    Standard action: Flurry Strike the hob that hit Caliban.
    5ft step out the door.
    Move action: Close the door.

Punch 1: (1d20+5)[17], (1d6+5)[6]
    Punch 2: (1d20+5)[25], (1d6+5)[7]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

SRT5

Beryl moves forward to support Caliban when combat breaks out.

R1T23

Caliban uses his free hand to strike the hob twice before he closes the door and falls back. His gauntleted fists land for 6 and 7 damage before he closes the door on their enemies.

R1T18

*Slam* goes the door as the recently punched Hob steps out with fury in it's eyes as it stabs towards Caliban's throat with his sword. It is only a twinge of pain in its movements from the punishment it has received which spared Caliban's throat, but his shoulder was still stabbed for 7 damage.

R1T10a

The leader hobbles over toward the door a bit, cursing up a storm as the glue hamper's her movements.

R1T10b

Another Hob moves up to the doorway and tries to send a cut around the corner at Beryl and just barely catches the healer with a slash for 6 damage despite the cover afforded by the doorway.

R1T9

The last Hob ops to not crowd the already crowded doorway, but instead moves out the front doors of the Shrine and sends an arrow whizzing past Perwialen.

R1T7

What does Perwialen do?

Show
    Lucky rolls from the enemies this round. Caliban barely avoids a crit confirmation, and Beryl gets hit from Blue Hob despite the doorway giving him cover.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Seemingly tirelessly taping into their rage, Perwialen gets closer, trying to cut down more of the hobs with an oddly acute strike, as if steaming from countless repetitions, and struggles to not scream their rage at them, as stealth is required.

Show
    Well, free action to enter rage
    Move action : get in melee range, at the square "top right" of the gob.
    Swift action : Mind palace boosting my attack roll, surged, giving my allies +1 (insight) to damage, and +1 to hit to myself.
    Standard action : Power attack at the hob.
    Enervation - (1d100)[12]
    Woot, second enervation in 2 surges, yay me (1 damage to myself).
    Mind Palace - (1d4)[1]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[27]
    On the other hand, scythe crit ?
    Damage - (2d6+12)[17]
    Last edited by silphael; 2020-12-12 at 05:31 AM.